Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Do the right and left not at least agree we don't corporations running autonomously governed districts, anyway? Like sure the reason for dissolution in this case is bad and punitive, but the US has tens of thousands of these districts, and that seems... bad?

Do the right and left not at least agree we don't corporations running autonomously governed districts, anyway? Like sure the reason for dissolution in this case is bad and punitive, but the US has tens of thousands of these districts, and that seems... bad?
Yes and no. The sad truth is that Disney's zone is much better maintained than a lot of the rest of the state. They tax themselves in order to deal with things like road maintenance and emergency services and security and do a much better job of it than the Florida government would do.

GasBandit

Staff member
Same goes for a lot of Universities. The little college town governments, by and large, are more than happy to let the Universities take on the expense of policing campus, and thus "Campus Police" legally have all the same legal authority as "real" Police, up to and including searching, using force, etc... without their organization's leadership being answerable to voters.

It's not Shadowrun extraterritoriality. It's them being able to fill potholes on a reasonable schedule. I like them paying for their own police and roads a fuckton more than Florida residents having to pay for it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not really political but not sure where else to put this -

Lake Meade has dried up so much that they've started finding stuff on the bottom.

Like this human body in a barrel from some time in the 80s.

Roe v Wade is done. Not a surprise. All Republicans are bad people.
Drafts may change, but this is quite disturbing considering they're not supposed to rule on this for months. This shows that most of the conservative justices had their minds made up a long time ago. I have a feeling the Roberts Court will be put alongside the Taney Court in terms of sheer malfeasance and bad faith.

Hopefully this will at least remove the biggest hard-core republican voting base while firing up democrats. I doubt that it will they'll just discover that they have an incredibly religious stance against interracial marriage that will become their entire life for the next 70 years.

Zappit

Staff member
This is worse. This draft also sets up reversing previous decisions that decriminalized homosexuality, interracial marriage, gay marriage, etc. This court is going to take away rights.

And if the Republicans win the midterms, expect the filibuster to be done away with within days to institute a nationwide abortion ban.

I posted this in the other thread, but as best as I can tell those barricades have been up for a week ever since a climate protestor self immolated on the court steps

While I hate this is happening, can't deny this is terrible for Republicans so close to the midterms.

They have used abortion as a wedge issue for so damn long that now that they have "won" a certain subset of R voters are going to relax during the upcoming midterns, while on the flip side a large group of D voters are going to be hugely energized.

Pretty sure they were hoping to wait till just after the midterms, after they had the majority in Congress again, before moving with this decision so that people would hopefully forget about it before the next election season. We are lucky someone leaked the draft.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is worse. This draft also sets up reversing previous decisions that decriminalized homosexuality, interracial marriage, gay marriage, etc. This court is going to take away rights.

And if the Republicans win the midterms, expect the filibuster to be done away with within days to institute a nationwide abortion ban.
Past decisions are in danger, but also any future decisions revolving around the right to privacy, or the right to bodily autonomy. Encryption, whistleblowing, all sorts of stuff.

While I hate this is happening, can't deny this is terrible for Republicans so close to the midterms.

They have used abortion as a wedge issue for so damn long that now that they have "won" a certain subset of R voters are going to relax during the upcoming midterns, while on the flip side a large group of D voters are going to be hugely energized.

Pretty sure they were hoping to wait till just after the midterms, after they had the majority in Congress again, before moving with this decision so that people would hopefully forget about it before the next election season. We are lucky someone leaked the draft.
I dunno. "See what we achieved, think what we can achieve with a but more power, we will need to protect this with all our might or Biden may try to force it back! Reward us, we did what we promised!" is still a pretty good rallying cry.
And, despite what liberals might like or think, abortion isn't anywhere NEAR as much of a clear and decisive issue on the left side. "They're killing babies! Stop them!" is easy. But while there are certainly quite a few people who think abortion should be completely legal for anyone for any reason or whatever, there are a LOT more people in the moderate-left (and I mean actual moderates, not Manchin-style "I'm not a Republican but....") who agree that abortion should be legal under specific circumstances, up to a certain gestation period, etc - from "only in rape/incest" cases over "only the first 3 months" or "only when the fetus and/or mother's life is in danger" across "Yes, for serious deformations perhaps up to 6 months", etc etc.
I mean, in Belgium, abortion is legal. And yet, it's still a sensitive issue, with some people arguing for more or less ease/hassle, what counts as a valid medical reason, should we accept mental/psychological issues with the mother as a health concern (which would de facto mean abortion is legal for pretty much everyone up to 6 months),....

Without wanting to get into which position is most worthwhile or the Only Morally Acceptable Stance, a lot of these people will be very hesitant to go march the streets for "the right to abortion", be associated with the extremes, and so on.

I fully understand that this may well be a fist step in the "first they came for the X, but I wasn't X so I didn't protest, then they came for Y, but I'm not Y, etc" style of rolling back all kinds of rights and protections. But the amount of media damage any of the more moderate Democrats will face for being "in favor of baby killing" - with moderate, older voters who may be theoretically in favor of abortion in some cases but feel a bit queasy about it, is huge. Anyone wanting to do well with socially more conservative black or Hispanic voters CANNOT touch this.

This will definitely energize the "extreme" left and feminist side of the Democrat party, but it will also be a huge liability. And I don't think Tumblr, Reddit and the Huffington Post make up the majority of Democrats.

Hopefully this will at least remove the biggest hard-core republican voting base while firing up democrats. I doubt that it will they'll just discover that they have an incredibly religious stance against interracial marriage that will become their entire life for the next 70 years.
The Bible Belt evangelicals who have spent the past two or three generations opposing abortion are the same sort who think LGBT people shouldn't exist.

1651592492148.gif

Said it poorly but I assume they’re just going to move to the goalposts to the next “outrage” l that will be their single issue that they crawl over broken glass to vote for any idiot that agrees with them.
CRT and the idea that the Land of the Free is ever anything but the hero and the good guy in history.