Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

This is all so weird to me, because before it felt like they were barely doing anything. Now they are punching out cases left and right within a week. What do they know that we don't? Surely they don't think all this madness is going to help other Republicans in the midterms right? All I am seeing is a lot of pissed off people these days.
They always announce decisions in batches. One batch in June and one in October.

And now the SCOTUS has said states rights and laws supersede those of…wait for it…Native American lands. Why? Because they want to stop abortions on reservations.
Only in the case of non-Native residents. The territory returned in Oklahoma is overwhelmed with cases where a Native victim can't receive justice because the perpetrator was non-Native. It's been a legal black hole since the ruling. This will help people get some justice.

Only in the case of non-Native residents. The territory returned in Oklahoma is overwhelmed with cases where a Native victim can't receive justice because the perpetrator was non-Native. It's been a legal black hole since the ruling. This will help people get some justice.
I think it's telling that the people who are against this are the tribal nations themselves. It's only a "legal black hole" if you think the tribal nations are unable to prosecute laws on their lands.

It will help White Man determine what's right and wrong for those poor other people trying to form their own justice.
No. Literally in no way is it okay.
Somehow we're all supposed to feel guilty about what we Europeans did to black people in Africa, but it's still a-okay to do it to NA. Get the fuck off their lands. Or at the very least honor the incredibly one-sided "treaties" that exist.
I don't care if you think abortions are murder, it's still ignoring another people's rights to self-govern.

Here's a tweet from the Muscogee Nation explaining their view on the ruling:

If the state of Oklahoma wants to exert jurisdiction over events which happen to non-Natives while in Native territory, does this also mean that the Muscogee Nation may claim jurisdiction over events which happen to Natives while in non-Native territory? I mean, reciprocity, and all.

--Patrick

If the state of Oklahoma wants to exert jurisdiction over events which happen to non-Natives while in Native territory, does this also mean that the Muscogee Nation may claim jurisdiction over events which happen to Natives while in non-Native territory? I mean, reciprocity, and all.

--Patrick
This right here.

The Federal government isn't able to investigate and prosecute crimes like this rapidly and thoroughly. Some of these were cases settled in State court and later overturned. I genuinely don't see how being able to prosecute some of these at the State level is bad. Muscogee is either overwhelmed or unable to prosecute as well, I don't know what to call that other than a legal black hole where you can just commit crime on Reservation land as a non-Native person and basically be assured you'll get away with it.

The Federal government isn't able to investigate and prosecute crimes like this rapidly and thoroughly. Some of these were cases settled in State court and later overturned. I genuinely don't see how being able to prosecute some of these at the State level is bad. Muscogee is either overwhelmed or unable to prosecute as well, I don't know what to call that other than a legal black hole where you can just commit crime on Reservation land as a non-Native person and basically be assured you'll get away with it.
Letting tribal governments prosecute non-natives when they commit crimes on native lands seems like a better option. Otherwise you’re just blaming them for not doing something they can’t even do.

Letting tribal governments prosecute non-natives when they commit crimes on native lands seems like a better option. Otherwise you’re just blaming them for not doing something they can’t even do.
I mean, I agree completely. But the court wasn't ruling, as far as I can tell, on whether or not that was an option.

I just feel the fact that some justice will be delivered is not an entirely bad thing. But I fully agree that if we give jurisdiction to a new territory, they should get all the judicial trim that comes with that. These cases became a nightmare for victims. McGirt will have a lot of consequences, for decades, and I think this is one where some of the legal consequences are improved. If, in the long run, the tribal governments get full judicial authority, I think that's good. But this ruling helps people see some justice in the meantime.

The Supreme Court just took a hatchet to the federal government’s ability to do… anything, really. Especially the EPA’s ability to function or fight climate change. So you can add that to the pile of ways SCOTUS just made the world a worse place to live.

figmentPez

Staff member
And in the final ruling two of the fascist judges voted "with the libs" to give all the fascist news outlets a story about how "SCOTUS really is a legitimate court."

Well Coup v2 will happen and it will not be a coup because it will be enshrined law the way the forefathers envisioned it.

Supreme Court: "Mandatory vaccination is an overreach of the government's power and choices regarding bodily autonomy."
Also Supreme Court: "Women can't be trusted to drive, hold public office, or have control of their own bodies."

--Patrick

I know there's no precedent and no law, but Trump needs to be tried as a traitor, all his nominations considered treasonous, and all decisions involving "his" justices reconsidered by a new SC with properly appointed people.
Even the Founding Fathers, a bunch of white, mostly racist, Christian, anti-government rich classist wouldn't agree or approve of this.