Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Still more voter fraud coming to light in MI. This time, it was ~20k signatures on...(checks notes)...a proposal to help prevent voter fraud?
They got ~435k signatures, but "out of an abundance of caution" declined to submit the completed proposal after discovering the fraudulent ones.

EDIT: Apparently this is being spun not as signatures forged to inflate numbers and meet the minimums, but instead as sabotage, where "parties unknown" deliberately introduced all these fraudulent signatures because they knew doing so would spoil these important initiatives.

--Patrick

Last edited:
The guy is mostly complaining that the cops aren’t throwing homeless people and drug addicts into jail.
I more got the impression that the author's ire was directed at the city's apparent willingness to treat all of the symptoms without doing anything about the actual causes. All Band-Aids, no surgery.

--Patrick

I more got the impression that the author's ire was directed at the city's apparent willingness to treat all of the symptoms without doing anything about the actual causes. All Band-Aids, no surgery.

--Patrick
This, yes.

The rest of you, no. But I thought it would ruffle some of your feathers a bit. A willful misreading was exactly the type of thing I expected.

I don’t see how “large systemic changes to improve lives” is antithetical to progressivism. It sounds like you should’ve captioned it “when progressive values don’t go far enough.”

Also, the person recalled was a DA. What exactly does he have the authority to do wrt these issues?

Last edited:
It sounds like you should’ve captioned it “when progressive values don’t go far enough.”
Possibly. Maybe more like “This is what happens when progressive values are followed while ignoring practical and logistical problems.”

Because, as the author points out, the former SF DA had some good ideas. Getting rid of cash bail, for example. But he didn’t really address other problems that came up, like the dramatic rise in property crimes. He needed a more balanced approach.

Possibly. Maybe more like “This is what happens when progressive values are followed while ignoring practical and logistical problems.”

Because, as the author points out, the former SF DA had some good ideas. Getting rid of cash bail, for example. But he didn’t really address other problems that came up, like the dramatic rise in property crimes. He needed a more balanced approach.
Do we have stats that the people doing the property crimes are people currently out on noncash bail?

So when a disaster strikes, the people lose everything, so the only path forward is to help others and rebuild the community. The wealthy when disaster strikes, still have a lot more to lose, so they seek to restore order.

This can I suppose be described as the social concept of elite panic. Which describes that those in power panic, where as those impacted just get on with helping others.

Don't really want to start a whole thing, but it's been stuck in my mind recently, after the RCMP and other police services proclaimed that the public would devolve into widespread panic, so they chose to not inform anyone about the fucking psychopath driving around Nova Scotia, disguised as a cop and slaughtering everyone in his path on 2020/04/18-19

So when a disaster strikes, the people lose everything, so the only path forward is to help others and rebuild the community. The wealthy when disaster strikes, still have a lot more to lose, so they seek to restore order.

This can I suppose be described as the social concept of elite panic. Which describes that those in power panic, where as those impacted just get on with helping others.

Don't really want to start a whole thing, but it's been stuck in my mind recently, after the RCMP and other police services proclaimed that the public would devolve into widespread panic, so they chose to not inform anyone about the fucking psychopath driving around Nova Scotia, disguised as a cop and slaughtering everyone in his path on 2020/04/18-19
But they didn't tell us because then "more cops would possibly get hurt." ! :facepalm:
Serving the pubic good my ass.

Behind the bastards had a good episode on it. One of their examples was when a huge grocery store caught on fire the owner’s son told security to not let anybody out who didn’t pay so they sealed the exits and let people burn to death.

Behind the bastards had a good episode on it. One of their examples was when a huge grocery store caught on fire the owner’s son told security to not let anybody out who didn’t pay so they sealed the exits and let people burn to death.
Yeah, I ended up at that rabbit hole. Led me down an infuriating white washing of the San Fransisco earthquake on Wikipedia.

It's funny how much conservatives claim they are being censored on social media when all the stupid algorithms keep shoving them down my throat.

A month or so ago I started a new Twitter account for a specific offshoot project I am working on. Don't plan to use it for browsing or anything, so leave it mostly untouched.

Not long after got a "must see" phone notification from the alt account of a fucking Lauren Boebert tweet. I loaded up the alt account, downvoted, and muted her. Though maybe the algorithm would get the hint.

The next day it was Rudy Giuliani as the "must see" tweet it thought I would like. Downvoted, muted.

They just kept coming, so much so that I started blocking conservatives usual buzz words hoping I would stop getting these notifications from that alt account.

I am now starring at my phone and Twitter is sending me a "must see" tweet from that account of some dude screaming about Paul Pelosi's mug shots from a DUI, and I am just so fucking annoyed that this account has become right wing megaphone.

Remember this was a fresh account, and it almost immediately started throwing this shit at me without me ever hinting at a political ideology while using it. Just imagine how many others who don't know better are falling into this trap.

I've not seen anyone else comment about this anywhere, but here we go:

As you may or may not know, our state's Attorney General, Mark Brnovich, is running to replace Doug Ducey as governor of Arizona. He's got a lot of competition - mostly by Trumpers - but his lone redeeming value is that he did not prosecute the whole "illegal votes" thing when it came up in 2020-21.

HOWEVER: the yard/corner signs for his campaign feature a rather... odd... choice of layout.
See if you can figure out what's a little "off" about it:

1655230287312.png

Yes, the V is supposed to be a "vote" checkmark, but right next to the NO in BRNOVICH?

I hate those yard/corner signs SO MUCH. So very, VERY MUCH. I don't care what party they're for, they're always ugly, they tell you nothing, and people put them in the worst places. They litter corners, islands, every freaking inch of land with their ugly selves. I wished they could be banned, at least in any public space (if you want to put them on private property, have at it, I guess). Every time I see one it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

That being said, that's far from the worst graphic design choice I've seen. It could use some tweaking.