Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

The Supreme Court will rule it unconstitutional while still holding up the Texas law based on the legal principle of “lol fuck you.”
The more specific answer is that the Supreme Court will strike it down, claiming it violates the 2nd Amendment (because... reasons? It mentions guns, and no law can ever be about guns?). They'll say the abortion laws in Texas don't violate a specific amendment. That will be all the argument they need, and since Congress is essentially minority rule these days no one will stop it.

It's been making the rounds for the past few days.
The relevant bit is more about how they should not be forced to relitigate something that's already been decided as "final," and how final should mean FINAL. In this case, it involves a defendant who is probably innocent (or at a minimum there is a whole LOT of reasonable doubt) but no we made our decision and it is FINAL.

--Patrick

From more coverage of the MI voter fraud:
Paul Cordes, chief of staff of the Michigan Republican Party, told the board that disqualifying the candidates over fraudulent petition signatures would disenfranchise voters. "Disqualifying two of the highest polling candidates in this primary, as well as three others who have expended significant resources in their campaigns, is disenfranchising to Republican voters who ultimately should be the decision-makers," he argued.
Republican election attorney John Pirich, a former assistant state attorney general, refuted the GOP argument, noting that "no one was on the ballot so you're not disenfranchising anyone. Most of the people who signed these petitions of the five candidates that were involved in this process weren't real people, so there's no real legal harm to anyone, in the sense that these weren't real voters. These were fictitious signatures of fraudulent circulators. So that's a bogus argument."
I can't believe that members of the MI GOP are seriously arguing that these candidates shouldn't be removed from the ballot because that would mean ignoring the "voices" of all these dead/relocated/made-up people YES EXACTLY PEOPLE WHO DON'T EXIST SHOULD NOT GET A VOTE I am seriously approaching @Krisken levels of Can't Even.

--Patrick

From more coverage of the MI voter fraud:

I can't believe that members of the MI GOP are seriously arguing that these candidates shouldn't be removed from the ballot because that would mean ignoring the "voices" of all these dead/relocated/made-up people YES EXACTLY PEOPLE WHO DON'T EXIST SHOULD NOT GET A VOTE I am seriously approaching @Krisken levels of Can't Even.

--Patrick
How the Dems aren't found absolutely everything in their power to make this the nationale story about voter fraud I don't understand.
Of course, nobody among the Reps actually cares about voter fraud, so...

How the Dems aren't found absolutely everything in their power to make this the nationale story about voter fraud I don't understand.
Of course, nobody among the Reps actually cares about voter fraud, so...
The democrats have been laying down and showing their bellies for so long, they don't even know how to win at this point.

GasBandit

Staff member
Getting real tired of the gun whaargarbl on imgur posts. Whole lot of people screeching about concepts they don't actually understand, and if you dare do anything but agree with ever increasing amounts of bloodthirst, you're branded as a childkiller.

I swear to god, these bozos who CAPITALIZE the phrase WELL. REGULATED. like it actually means what they think it means is incredibly tiresome. Especially after having that discussion here a dozen times.

Come to 9Gag! If I dare so much as suggest that selling automatic rifles to anyone over age 18 without any checks or balances is bad, then I'm downvoted into oblivion*. "Arm all teachers and give shooting lessons starting age 12, arm all students age 16 and up" is considered an actual possibility there instead of the completely ridiculous exaggeration it could work as.

*I'm aware this is not the current situation in the USA

GasBandit

Staff member
Almost as tiring as hearing about someone take a big gun into a public area and start shooting.
Here's the thing. The way the law is written, it is explicitly saying it wants military-grade weaponry in the hands of every able bodied civilian.

If that's not what we want any more, we need to repeal or amend that second amendment. And there's a process in place to do that. We've done it 23 times after the bill of rights. The founders - whose intent is well documented about the above - ALSO repeatedly documented that "hey, the law needs to be able to change as the needs of the populace changes." And it definitely is the case that the needs of the populace are changing - the 2A was put in when there were no police, and they didn't want to have a standing full-time national army. So they needed militia to form posses and conscript military units that could be relied upon to be equipped and skilled to the standards of an Army Regular (THIS is where the phrase "Well Regulated" comes from and means).

So the real problem here is that our elected representatives are not doing that process right (or blocking that process because they're on the take from the gun lobby).

(this is also part of the discussion we've had 12 times)

But here's something I don't think we talked about before - Once the feds got over their phobia of having a federal-level national army and created one... the southern states insisted the 2nd Amendment not be repealed or altered - because they wanted to remain armed so they could put down slave revolts.

Make what hay of that you will.

Just for the record -
I do not support a blanket ban on weapons.
But there's a lot of compromise possible between "totalitarian lockdown of a disarmed populace" and "complete full-auto anarchy" and we need to start moving that needle.
But on the other hand, I also don't think it is healthy that currently the vast majority of civilian gun ownership is among those with fascist inclinations. I worry about what is going to happen in November 2022 and 2024, and how it might be a good idea for a would-be fascist autocrat to have to pause to think about an armed populace that favors democracy and social egalitarianism.

Last edited:
Just for the record -
I do not support a blanket ban on weapons.
But there's a lot of compromise possible between "totalitarian lockdown of a disarmed populace" and "complete full-auto anarchy" and we need to start moving that needle.
Political fights here just aren't the same since we all grew up and mellowed a bit.
I'm not in favor of a blanket ban on weapons, either, but there's a very wide gap to discuss about what is an acceptable way to handle guns.

And, we better get ready to hold a similar conversation on cars. I seriously know people who are already saying petrol-guzzling cars are expensive weapons destroying the world etc etc so not everyone should have them or have access to them. "My car, my freedom", my ass, and all that.

GasBandit

Staff member
And, we better get ready to hold a similar conversation on cars. I seriously know people who are already saying petrol-guzzling cars are expensive weapons destroying the world etc etc so not everyone should have them or have access to them. "My car, my freedom", my ass, and all that.
This is another instance of large corporate entities trying to shift economic and ecologic responsibility off onto individuals, when commuter road travel accounts for about 11% of CO2 emissions. The vast, VAST majority of emissions still come from power generation and the manufacturing sector.

And China is by far the biggest producer, putting out double what the US is - and you know they will never accept any environmental limitations to their economic growth.

Everyone gets a 6 round revolver, 3 round bolt action long gun and a double barrel shotgun when they turn 21. That's it. No choices either. No inheriting guns, no guns by private sale. Found possessing a non standard gun gets you 7 days of playing bridge with the 45th family.

GasBandit

Staff member
Everyone gets a 6 round revolver, 3 round bolt action long gun and a double barrel shotgun when they turn 21. That's it. No choices either. No inheriting guns, no guns by private sale. Found possessing a non standard gun gets you 7 days of playing bridge with the 45th family.
Sorry, the 8th amendment prevents cruel and unusual punishments, even for convicted criminals.

Sorry, the 8th amendment prevents cruel and unusual punishments, even for convicted criminals.
"excessive bail" is also in there. I'm sure someone somewhere can make an argument that "50x the expected life savings of the convicted" isn't "excessive" as intended by the FF, but, you know. Not the most powerfully enforced amendment.

GasBandit

Staff member
"excessive bail" is also in there. I'm sure someone somewhere can make an argument that "50x the expected life savings of the convicted" isn't "excessive" as intended by the FF, but, you know. Not the most powerfully enforced amendment.
Anything that is set to a fixed amount fine is basically only illegal for the poor.
"You can't park there!" "Sure I can, it just costs $300."

So if the purpose of bail is to make sure it's high enough for the defendent to show up to get it back, it needs to be a sliding scale.
So... basically $3000 for a school teacher, and $5.6 billion for Elon Musk.

Anything that is set to a fixed amount fine is basically only illegal for the poor.
"You can't park there!" "Sure I can, it just costs $300."

So if the purpose of bail is to make sure it's high enough for the defendent to show up to get it back, it needs to be a sliding scale.
So... basically $3000 for a school teacher, and $5.6 billion for Elon Musk.
Which is consider perfectly fine. It's the poor black folk getting million dollar bails I'm refering to.