Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Content not available in my region. I guess the URL says it all?

MILWAUKEE —
The deputy director of the city of Milwaukee's Election Commission has been fired, accused of election fraud.

Milwaukee city leaders say Kimberly Zapata used the public MyVote website to request three military absentee ballots using fake names and sent them to the home of state Rep. Janel Brandtjen.

Mayor Cavalier Johnson says Zapata was forthcoming about her actions. "This has every appearance of being an egregious blatant violation of trust this matter is now in the hands of law enforcement," Mayor Cavalier Johnson said. City officials say they believe Zapata was attempting to expose what she saw as a problem with military ballots. By state law, military voters are not required to register to vote, and they are exempt from having to provide a photo ID. Earlier this week, Brandtjen shared pictures on social media of three military absentee ballots addressed to someone named "Holly" sent to her home. Brandtjen is also the chairwoman of the Assembly Elections Committee.

She issued a statement Thursday saying, "Unlike Mayor Johnson, I have actually been working on providing Wisconsinites a safe and secure election process. We have uncovered so many issues that demand attention. I have been attacked by the liberal media, democrats who benefit from the system, and Republicans who don’t have the backbone to take on the issues, including Speaker Vos, who has referred to me as a conspiracy theorist. All of the while, we have uncovered massive amounts of election disparities and a statewide Election Commission that has undeniably broken the law on numerous occasions. It’s time we do the people’s business, and that includes the media and both parties taking part."

On Monday, the Waukesha County sheriff announced it is investigating who sent the ballots.

In a statement, the sheriff's office said: "None of the individuals reside or have resided at her address. This matter is currently under investigation with no additional information available at this time. The Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department is working with the Waukesha County District Attorney’s Office in this investigation." Zapata has been with the Election Commission for about seven years. She became deputy director in July and would have helped oversee the city's central count location where absentee ballots are processed. "So up until this point we have never had any indication of any type of violation of work polices or procedures. We of course will be taking an extra look at that," Milwaukee Election Commission Executive Director Claire Woodall-Vogg said.

A group of Milwaukee Common Council members responded by saying, "We applaud Mayor Johnson’s decision to terminate the employment of Kimberly Zapata, now former deputy director of the Election Commission." The Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office is reviewing the allegations and expects charges to be filed in the coming days. As of Thursday afternoon, the Wisconsin Department of Justice has not been asked to intervene.

WISN 12 News reporter Kent Wainscott went to Zapata's home Thursday. "Kimberly, can we talk to you? Kimberly, can we talk to you? Kimberly, will you take a second and speak with us?" Wainscott said. She drove off without stopping. Late Thursday afternoon, her lawyer sent Wainscott a statement saying simply, "We will litigate this in the courtroom, not the media."

Cleaned up best I could.

To reiterate: "There wasn't fraud, I made fraud, to prove fraud was possible, then got caught doing fraud"

Mr. Z used to wear nail polish when he was catching regularly. It makes it easier for the pitcher to see the signs. When he was home during the pandemic, Li'l Z would see me painting my toenails, and ask if I could do his. We'd do Captain America or Lightning McQueen designs on his. He loved it.

This is, once again, a complete non-issue that assholes are selling to insecure morons so they can pretend they're better than some people without having to do any actual work on themselves. Viva la nailvelution!

Am now trying to come up with the ultimate Conservative horror scenario, and it probably involves standing in front of a male judge who is noisily drumming his acrylics on the bench while pondering what percentage of the defendant’s income should be garnished and distributed between several “woke” (and zero religious) causes due to him oh-so-innocently dressing up for Hallowe’en as the Punisher but also including a Hitler mustache (on his face and also on the skull logo).

—Patrick

The scenario also involves being sentenced to eat soy protein burgers for a month, with only fluoridated drinking water and Coke to drink (Coca-Cola is apparently too woke). To top it off, he won't get a straw unless he specifically requests one.

Then they'll strap him to a chair just like Clockwork Orange and force him to watch Black Panther, Lightyear, and She-Hulk.

The scenario also involves being sentenced to eat soy protein burgers for a month, with only fluoridated drinking water and Coke to drink (Coca-Cola is apparently too woke). To top it off, he won't get a straw unless he specifically requests one.

Then they'll strap him to a chair just like Clockwork Orange and force him to watch Black Panther, Lightyear, and She-Hulk.
And it's a paper straw, at that.

If they have actual proof of these misdeeds, they are welcome to submit it into evidence.
If, however, all they have is fervor and zealotry, then they are invited to spend election week with a complementary ankle bracelet courtesy of their local government.

--Patrick

If they have actual proof of these misdeeds, they are welcome to submit it into evidence.
If, however, all they have is fervor and zealotry, then they are invited to spend election week with a complementary ankle bracelet courtesy of their local government.

--Patrick
Look, they've made a claim, if you want to fight with them, it's up to you to disprove it. And without using "facts", "statistics" derived from MSM propaganda or "logical fallacies" which are just ways of making words lie.
I don't make the rules of their version of reasonable debate, man.

figmentPez

Staff member
I got an email from my mom with a link to an article calling for an end to a secret ballot. The article claims that voters should be able to opt-in to having their vote made publicly, because "votes should be counted by people, not by an algorithm" (paraphrased). There was a long rant focused on how computers can't be trusted, and there's no way to audit how a computer counts votes (which is an outright lie) and that China is somehow going to be able to track who voted for whom anyway, so we should just let people make their votes public.

Republicans want voter intimidation.

There's a proposal here in MI, Proposal 3*, which is supposed to enshrine reproductive freedom into the state constitution and put abortion (and other reproductive freedoms) beyond the reach of the existing 1931 law. Lately, I've seen plenty of people holding banners and posting signs saying, "Vote 'no' on 3--TOO EXTREME--protect parental rights!" This got me wondering how "protect reproductive freedom" could be considered "too extreme," so I did a little checking and found that the people behind these signs/banners are telling everyone that IF Prop3 is adopted, and IF a mother goes in to have an abortion, THEN the state will also go right ahead and forcibly sterilize the mother during the procedure. Because apparently that's what they think "individual right to reproductive freedom" means, I guess?

Of course not. They are trying to incite SCARY PANIC BRAIN, duh.

--Patrick
*"A proposal to amend the state constitution to establish new individual right to reproductive freedom, including right to make all decisions about pregnancy and abortion; allow state to regulate abortion in some cases; and forbid prosecution of individuals exercising established right."

I got an email from my mom with a link to an article calling for an end to a secret ballot. The article claims that voters should be able to opt-in to having their vote made publicly, because "votes should be counted by people, not by an algorithm" (paraphrased). There was a long rant focused on how computers can't be trusted, and there's no way to audit how a computer counts votes (which is an outright lie) and that China is somehow going to be able to track who voted for whom anyway, so we should just let people make their votes public.

I kinda figured that the secrecy of the voting booth was the Republicans one and only hope at electoral victory.

figmentPez

Staff member
I kinda figured that the secrecy of the voting booth was the Republicans one and only hope at electoral victory.
People aren't ashamed of voting Republican, not in Texas, or a lot of other states where there's a chance of of switching from Red to Blue. They proudly wear their MAGA hats, and says shit like "You can't be a Christian and vote Democrat".

One of the reasons why Evangelicals, and other Christian groups, have turned so hard Republican, is not because there weren't any Democrats in Churches, or people who hold pro-Choice or LGBTQ+ postiive views, but because it's very hard to voice support for moderate views even in relatively moderate churches. You can say all sorts of hateful shit, but as long as you pretend it's "hate the sin, not the sinner", and you'll get away with saying it. People will quietly disagree, but they won't dare question your motives. If you try to speak up for not judging, especially not those outside the church, then you're in danger of being accused of being a sinner who is trying to justify sinning. There will absolutely be people who agree, but they won't speak up for fear of being labeled a sinner, too. So people hear the conservative voices over and over and over, and either they leave because they can't listen in silence anymore, or they start to think like that, too.

Churches are still a big part of society, and getting cut off from being part of a church can really limit your connections, and ability to be part of a community, get support, or a lot of other things.

And that's not even getting into the very real threat of violent reprisal from conservatives.

Ah yes, cultism and organized religion, such forces for good.

Autocorrect turned that into "for God" and, well, well played, autocorrect.

Religion is great. It can create communities, give solace, unite, provide succor, etc etc. Organized religion - be it baptism, the catholic church, or plenty of varieties of Islam - is a force of evil and deserves to be eradicated.
But non religious people just find new ways of excluding the Other and being morally hypocritical assholes, sadly - see part of the LGBTQ band, extreme greens, and whatever else.

People suck.

being accused of being a sinner who is trying to justify sinning.

for fear of being labeled a sinner, too.
Which is hilarious for a denomination that is supposedly Protestant, since, as i recall, protestants pretty much agreed that all humans are sinful, and can only be saved by Grace of God if they believe enough... Sola Fide alongside Sola Scriptura being the ones they all agreed on, while splinting on everything else.

figmentPez

Staff member
Which is hilarious for a denomination that is supposedly Protestant, since, as i recall, protestants pretty much agreed that all humans are sinful, and can only be saved by Grace of God if they believe enough... Sola Fide alongside Sola Scriptura being the ones they all agreed on, while splinting on everything else.
Yeah, protestants will jump through all sorts of hoops to claim that everyone is a sinner, except them. I remember back when I used to frequent a very conservative Christian forum, I had an argument with someone who claimed that anyone who was truly saved never sinned again after becoming a Christian, and that if they did sin it was proof they hadn't actually believed in the first place. An interesting variation of the No True Scotsman logical fallacy.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wow. The line at my polling place is LONG. Like, it wasn't even this long in 2020, and I did 2020 in the middle of the day. Now here before 8 it's almost all the way out the lobby door of a pretty large lobby in a pretty large venue.

Maybe that's a good sign?

Wow. The line at my polling place is LONG. Like, it wasn't even this long in 2020, and I did 2020 in the middle of the day. Now here before 8 it's almost all the way out the lobby door of a pretty large lobby in a pretty large venue.

All we* can do is hope.

*the Europeans on the board. Everybody else, please please vote, and not for voter suppression and fascism.

Or maybe it is fewer polling places. :-/

Following American politics too closely is really not doing my mental health any favors.
We were watching a lovely sunset here and my wife was commenting how beautiful it was and what special colors the sky was displaying and all I could think was "it's an awesome image of a red wave crashing over the whole world, turning everything that should be blue, red" and yeah.
It's Tuesday evening here, could you guys hurry up and proclaim the disaster already? Stupid time zones.