Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
Barack and Michelle Obama delivered back-to-back speeches on the second night of the Democratic National Convention, casting Trump as selfish and dangerous while painting Kamala Harris as the heir to their movement. “We don’t need four more years of bluster and chaos. We’ve seen that movie — and we all know that the sequel’s usually worse,” Barack Obama said, torching Trump for his fixation with “childish nicknames,” his “crazy conspiracy theories,” and “this weird obsession with crowd sizes” – gesturing with his hands in a way to indicate something small with regard to masculine proportions. “America is ready for a new chapter,” Barack said. “America’s ready for a better story. We are ready for a President Kamala Harris.” In her remarks, Michelle Obama delivered a similar message, saying: “America, hope is making a comeback,” adding that Harris “understands that most of us will never be afforded the grace of failing forward. We will never benefit from the affirmative action of generational wealth.” She rebuked Trump for how “his limited, narrow view of the world made him feel threatened by the existence of two hard-working, highly educated, successful people who happened to be Black.” She paused momentarily before adding: “Who’s going to tell him that the job he’s currently seeking might just be one of those ‘Black jobs?’” Michelle, however, cautioned that optimism shouldn’t lead to complacency, saying “It’s up to us to remember what Kamala’s mother told her: ‘Don’t just sit around and complain. Do something,’” as the convention crowd chanted: “Do something! Do something!” The third night of the DNC will be headlined by Tim Walz and Bill Clinton. (Washington Post / NPR / New York Times / NBC News / Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal / CNN / Axios / Politico / Axios / NBC News / CNN / Washington Post / Washington Post)

The Georgia State Election Board approved a new rule requiring a “reasonable inquiry” before certifying state elections. The rule requires county election officials to generate lists of “the total number of ballots cast” and “the total number of persons who voted,” categorize them by voting method, and then examine them by hand for duplicates. Voting rights advocates warn that empowering county election officials, most of who are partisan appointees, to delay certification of November’s presidential election results, could introduce skepticism about the legitimacy of the election. The vote was 3 to 2 by the five-member board. In early August, during a rally, Trump praised by name the three board members who are aligned with him, calling them “pit bulls fighting for honesty, transparency and victory” and saying they were “doing a great job.” (Associated Press / CNN / Reuters / Salon / ProPublica / HuffPost)

Robert Kennedy Jr. reportedly plans to drop out of the presidential race and endorse Trump by the end of this week. Kennedy is set to make a campaign speech addressing “his path forward” on Friday amid discussions with Trump about an endorsement in exchange for a role in his administration. (NBC News / ABC News / Washington Post / CNN)

The U.S. economy added far fewer jobs in 2023 and early 2024 than previously reported. The Labor Department said that the economy created 818,000 fewer jobs from April 2023 through March 2024 – the biggest revision to federal jobs data in 15 years. The final revision won’t be released until February 2025. The revisions are part of an annual process where monthly estimates are reconciled with more accurate but less timely records that are based on state unemployment insurance tax filings and covers nearly all US jobs. “The vast majority” of Federal Reserve officials, meanwhile, said it’s “likely” that they’ll cut interest rates in September after raising them to their highest rate in 23 years. (New York Times / Bloomberg / CNBC / NBC News / Wall Street Journal / Washington Post / Politico)

A federal judge struck down the Federal Trade Commission’s ban on noncompete agreements that was set to take effect September 4. Judge Ada Brown ruled that the agency lacked the authority to issue rules related to unfair methods of competition, which would have prohibited companies from restricting their employees’ ability to work for rivals. “The role of an administrative agency is to do as told by Congress, not to do what the agency think(s) it should do,” Brown wrote. An estimated 30 million U.S. workers – one in five American workers – are subject to noncompete agreements that typically prevent workers from joining competing businesses or launching ones of their own. (New York Times / Washington Post / NPR)

The Georgia State Election Board approved a new rule requiring a “reasonable inquiry” before certifying state elections. The rule requires county election officials to generate lists of “the total number of ballots cast” and “the total number of persons who voted,” categorize them by voting method, and then examine them by hand for duplicates. Voting rights advocates warn that empowering county election officials, most of who are partisan appointees, to delay certification of November’s presidential election results, could introduce skepticism about the legitimacy of the election. The vote was 3 to 2 by the five-member board. In early August, during a rally, Trump praised by name the three board members who are aligned with him, calling them “pit bulls fighting for honesty, transparency and victory” and saying they were “doing a great job.” (Associated Press / CNN / Reuters / Salon / ProPublica / HuffPost)
Terrible

Robert Kennedy Jr. reportedly plans to drop out of the presidential race and endorse Trump by the end of this week. Kennedy is set to make a campaign speech addressing “his path forward” on Friday amid discussions with Trump about an endorsement in exchange for a role in his administration. (NBC News / ABC News / Washington Post / CNN)
He met with both campaigns, and what a surprise, Crazy mcConspiracy found an ear more willing to listen with Trump. I mean, I'm all in favor of third party candidates technically, but this sort of shopping around because you're not going to win is just.....Ugh.

A federal judge struck down the Federal Trade Commission’s ban on noncompete agreements that was set to take effect September 4. Judge Ada Brown ruled that the agency lacked the authority to issue rules related to unfair methods of competition, which would have prohibited companies from restricting their employees’ ability to work for rivals. “The role of an administrative agency is to do as told by Congress, not to do what the agency think(s) it should do,” Brown wrote. An estimated 30 million U.S. workers – one in five American workers – are subject to noncompete agreements that typically prevent workers from joining competing businesses or launching ones of their own. (New York Times / Washington Post / NPR)
And here we start seeing the results of another one of those lovely Supreme Court decisions. Taking away any and all power of interpretation from the agencies renders them completely toothless. Whether it's this, or the environment, or education, or drug administration,.... The federal power has pretty much been hamstrung until a House manages to work out the exact right way of wording laws to empower an agency to work within a framework of defined duties etc etc.

OMG everyone, I just received the following email. Listen to this:
Projection is a psychological defense mechanism where a person avoids recognizing their own faults by projecting them onto someone else. This literally defines Democrats today. [<--emphasis mine]

Consider this...
1) Kamala Harris says Donald Trump is "afraid" to debate her despite the fact she can't speak off the cuff for more than 30 seconds before she spirals into a circular word salad of meaningless nonsense or erupts into a fit of obnoxious cackling. It's why Harris won't do interviews and why she is "afraid" to debate Donald Trump.
2) Tim Walz says JD Vance is "weird" despite the fact that Walz, as governor, put tampons in boys' bathrooms and went to Communist China for his honeymoon. Now, that's weird.
3) And now the Harris-Walz campaign is accusing Donald Trump and JD Vance of being "weak on border security" despite Harris vowing to eliminate ICE and Walz vowing to start a "ladder factory" to help illegal immigrants invade our country.
The Democrats have officially become the Party of Projection.
"The Democrats...have become the Party of Projection." That's it, we've come full circle. The Trump campaign's stance since Biden withdrew has been from the I-am-rubber-you-are-glue playbook, and when called out as projecting, they literally reply, "I'm not the one projecting, YOU are projecting!"
You can't make this stuff up, folks.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Tim Walz formally accepted the Democratic nomination for vice president and thanked the party for “bringing the joy to this fight.” Walz – a teacher, coach, and veteran – introduced himself to the nation by saying: “In Minnesota, we respect our neighbors and the personal choices they make. And even if we wouldn’t make those same choices for ourselves, we’ve got a golden rule: mind your own damn business.” He denounced Trump’s form of leadership, saying good leaders “don’t spend all day insulting people and blaming people. Leaders do the work. I don’t know about you all, but I’m ready to turn the page on these guys. So go ahead, say it with me: ‘We’re not going back!’” As Walz delivered his speech, he gave his family a shoutout from the stage, which prompted his 17-year-old son, Gus, to stand and tearfully pointed to his father: “That’s my dad!” Earlier in the night, Oprah Winfrey urged voters to “choose common sense over nonsense” and vote for Kamala Harris, calling her “the best of America.” Bill Clinton, meanwhile, boasted that he’s “still younger” than Trump and contrasted Trump’s self-centeredness with how “Kamala Harris is the only candidate in this race who has the vision, the experience, the temperament, the will, and yes — the sheer joy — to get something done.” He added: “Now, how does Donald Trump use his voice? He mostly to talks about himself. […] The next time you hear him, don’t count the lies — count the I’s.” Tonight, Harris will use her acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention to propose a “New Way Forward” – her agenda that promises economic opportunity while protecting fundamental freedoms. (Associated Press / NPR / Axios / New York Times / Washington Post / Bloomberg / CBS News / Politico)

Trump, calling himself “the best friend that Israel, and the Jewish people, ever had,” referred to Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro as the “highly overrated Jewish Governor” and criticized him for supporting Kamala Harris. In a late night post on his personal social media network, Trump falsely accused Harris of hoping that Israel “will fail” and claimed “Shapiro has done nothing for Israel, and never will.” Trump has also repeatedly said Jews who plan to vote for Harris “should have their head examined,” and that “if you’re Jewish, if you vote for a Democrat, you’re a fool.” The White House spokesperson called the comments “Antisemitic, dangerous, and hurtful to attack a fellow American by calling out their Jewish faith in a derogatory way, or perpetuating the centuries-old smear of ‘dual loyalty.’” Shapiro, meanwhile, responded, saying “Donald Trump is obsessed with me and continuing to spew hate and division in our politics. He’s someone who’s routinely peddled antisemitic tropes like this. It’s clear that he is going to continue to be the hateful divisive person that he’s always been in this campaign.” (Politico / CNBC / Axios)

The Supreme Court partly granted the Republican National Committee’s request to enforce an Arizona law requiring proof of citizenship for voter registration in some cases. The court allowed the enforcement of a provision from a 2022 state law that mandates proof of citizenship to vote in state and local elections, but blocked provisions that would prevent non-citizens from voting in federal or by mail. Under the previous system, Arizona residents using either form could vote only in federal elections if they declined to submit proof of citizenship. More than 40,000 people have registered to vote in federal elections in Arizona without providing proof of citizenship. (NPR / NBC News / CBS News / CNN / USA Today)

The Arkansas Supreme Court block an abortion-rights initiative from appearing on the state’s ballot. Election officials said Arkansans for Limited Government failed to comply with state law because they didn’t correctly submit a sworn statement confirming that paid canvassers had been instructed on how to collect signatures. Although the group had gathered over 100,000 signatures to place the amendment on the ballot – well over the 90,074 needed – 87,675 were collected by volunteers. The rest, about 14,000, were collected by paid canvassers. The Arkansas secretary of state’s office cited a failure to follow procedures related to the use of paid canvassers to invalidate 14,000 signatures, which dropped the petition below the signature threshold needed. (KUAR / NBC News / Associated Press / New York Times / Politico)

The Supreme Court partly granted the Republican National Committee’s request to enforce an Arizona law requiring proof of citizenship for voter registration in some cases. The court allowed the enforcement of a provision from a 2022 state law that mandates proof of citizenship to vote in state and local elections, but blocked provisions that would prevent non-citizens from voting in federal or by mail. Under the previous system, Arizona residents using either form could vote only in federal elections if they declined to submit proof of citizenship. More than 40,000 people have registered to vote in federal elections in Arizona without providing proof of citizenship. (NPR / NBC News / CBS News / CNN / USA Today)
As a non-American from a semi-civilized country, I can only once again say that....The government just giving everyone an ID card with a picture on it, free of charge, at 12/16/18/whateverthefuckageyouwant that states your nationality is something that's been a thing for about 100 years now and would really solve a whole lot of these voting rights issues you guys seem to have. The mere idea of "registered voters" and having hoops to jump through to get registered - and having to declare yourself as "belonging" to a specific party in most cases! - is just....fundamentally irksome and weird. I get it, privacy, whatever, but by now Google, Facebook, and a dozen other companies probably know more about you than you do, and the government does as well - having a free valid ID won't change that.
See also: voting on a Sunday and/or national holiday.

figmentPez

Staff member
and would really solve a whole lot of these voting rights issues you guys seem to have.
See also: voting on a Sunday and/or national holiday.
Yes, that's exactly why Republicans/conservatives have fought so hard against such measures. This is specifically done to disenfranchise minorities.

tl:dr; "Since Dred Scott [1857] found Black people can't legally be United States citizens, and since Kamala is Black, and since citizenship is a requirement for the office of President of the United States, that means Kamala is ineligible to run for the position."

Wow.
I mean, nevermind that whole 14th Amendment thing, or any of the other "inconvenient" stuff that followed that renders this argument useless.
Just...woowwwwwww.

--Patrick

Last edited:
There isn't a lot of thinking going on. They just find some scrap of something to support their sick, sad world view, and the rest is fingers-in-the-ears, " la-la-la I can't heeeeeear youuuuuu so I'm winning".

I often wonder if the 40% lack of voter turnout is apathy or access (or suppression). The turnout here in Canada is pretty close, as well. The last election had a reported voter turnout of 62.2%, so that's a little less than 40% who didn't vote.

For some reason, I thought voter turnout was a LOT worse in the states, but it's pretty close, statically.

GasBandit

Staff member
40% of the country has definitely been gaslit into thinking "voting doesn't matter," the 20 yo in my house is one of them, no matter what I tell him.

40% of the country has definitely been gaslit into thinking "voting doesn't matter," the 20 yo in my house is one of them, no matter what I tell him.
The difference between political parties in my district in Virginia in 2016 was something like five votes. I still couldn't get the step-kids to go out and vote in 2020, even though they constantly bitched about politics.

I often wonder if the 40% lack of voter turnout is apathy or access (or suppression).
I honestly think it's both, but the majority of that 40% is apathy. I see no shortage of people every day not doing the simplest, little things that would make things better for everyone, because "...eh, someone else will do it", or "it's 'their' job, not mine". So not taking time to go vote? Not shocking.

GasBandit

Staff member
Special counsel Jack Smith urged a federal appeals court to reverse the dismissal of the criminal classified documents case against Trump. Last month, Judge Aileen Cannon granted Trump’s request to dismiss the indictment on the grounds that Smith’s appointment as special counsel violated the Constitution’s appointments and appropriations clauses. In a brief filed with the 11th US Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, Smith argued that Cannon’s decision ignored decades of “Supreme Court precedent, misconstrued the statutes that authorized the Special Counsel’s appointment, and took inadequate account of the longstanding history of Attorney General appointments of special counsels.” It’s unclear how long it will take for the appeals court to decide the matter, but even if it overturns the dismissal, the trial will not take place before the November presidential election – and if Trump wins the 2024 election, he could pressure his Justice Department to drop the appeals effort. Trump appointed Cannon to the federal bench in south Florida in 2020. (Associated Press / Washington Post / New York Times / CNN / NBC News / CNBC)

An Arizona judge set a January 5, 2026, trial date for Trump allies charged in the criminal conspiracy to overturn the 2020 election. In April, an Arizona grand jury indicted 18 Republicans, including Mark Meadows and Rudy Giuliani, on charges including fraud, forgery, and tampering with public records, among others. Most of the defendants have pleaded not guilty to the charges. And, while Trump wasn’t charged, the grand jury wanted to indict Trump but state prosecutors said it would be a “big deal” and that they weren’t sure if they had “all the evidence to prosecute it at this moment.” (CNN / Salon)

Texas and 15 Republican-led states sued the Biden administration over a new federal program that offers a path to citizenship for immigrants who entered the U.S. illegally and are now married to U.S. citizens. The initiative, called Keeping Families Together, provides a path to citizenship to an estimated 500,000 people, as well as some 50,000 children. Nevertheless, the coalition filed suit to halt the program, claiming that the administration bypassed Congress to create a pathway to citizenship for “blatant political purposes” and “incentivizes illegal immigration.” (Associated Press / NBC News)

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. suspended his election bid and endorsed Trump. [Editor’s note: Too bad, so sad.](Washington Post / Wall Street Journal)

Trump, who openly bragged about being the person who “was able to kill Roe v. Wade,” claimed he “will be great for women and their reproductive rights.” But at the same time, Trump recently said he has “no regrets” about appointing the Supreme Court supermajority that overturned the landmark ruling on abortion rights. The statements follow the Democratic National Convention, where Kamala Harris used her acceptance speech talk about Trump’s threat to “freedoms” and his role in curtailing those rights. “I believe America cannot truly be prosperous unless Americans are fully able to make their own decisions about their own lives, especially on matters of heart and home,” Harris said. “But tonight, in America, too many women are not able to make those decisions. And let’s be clear about how we got here. Donald Trump handpicked members of the United States Supreme Court to take away reproductive freedom. And now he brags about it.” (New York Times / Axios / Associated Press / Politico)

The Trump and Harris campaigns are at odds over whether the microphones will be live throughout the Sept. 10 presidential debate. Trump campaign wants the microphones throughout the debate except for when it’s their turn, as was the case during the first debate with Biden. But when asked, Trump said it “doesn’t matter to me” whether the microphones were muted, adding, “I’d rather have it probably on. But the agreement was that it would be the same as it was last time.” The Harris campaign, meanwhile, believes “both candidates’ mics should be live throughout the full broadcast. Our understanding is that Trump’s handlers prefer the muted microphone because they don’t think their candidate can act presidential for 90 minutes on his own. We suspect Trump’s team has not even told their boss about this dispute because it would be too embarrassing to admit they don’t think he can handle himself against Vice President Harris without the benefit of a mute button.” The Sept. 10 debate on ABC is the only scheduled presidential debate between Trump and Kamala Harris, so far. (Axios / CNN / Politico / New York Times)

GasBandit

Staff member
Special counsel Jack Smith charged Trump in a superseding indictment in the case involving an alleged conspiracy to obstruct the results of the 2020 election. The superseding indictment retains the four charges against Trump from Smith’s original indictment, including conspiracy to defraud the United States, but recalibrated the case to adjust to the Supreme Court’s ruling that presidents enjoy sweeping immunity from prosecution for their official conduct. “Today, a federal grand jury in the District of Columbia returned a superseding indictment, ECF No. 226, charging the defendant with the same criminal offenses that were charged in the original indictment,” the Justice Department said. “The superseding indictment, which was presented to a new grand jury that had not previously heard evidence in this case, reflects the Government’s efforts to respect and implement the Supreme Court’s holdings and remand instructions.” There’s no chance the case will be tried before November’s election – and if Trump wins, he’s expected to pressure his appointees at the Justice Department to drop the case. (ABC News / Washington Post / CNN / Politico / NBC News / New York Times / Bloomberg / Associated Press / NPR)

Democrats sued the Georgia State Election Board over new election rules that could lead to post-election “chaos” in the state in November. The lawsuit, filed in Georgia state court by the Democratic National Committee, the Georgia Democratic Party, and Democratic members of several county election boards, argues that the rules give local election officials a broad license to “hunt for purported election irregularities of any kind, potentially delaying certification and displacing longstanding (and court-supervised) processes for addressing fraud.” The state election board voted 3-2 to pass rules that give election officials authority to conduct a “reasonable inquiry” before certifying election results, and requires that county election officials be given “all election related documentation” before certification. “At minimum, these novel requirements introduce substantial uncertainty in the post-election process and – if interpreted as their drafters have suggested – invite chaos by establishing new processes at odds with existing statutory duties,” the lawsuit argues. (New York Times / CNN / USA Today / WABE / NBC News)

Trump added conspiracy theorists Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Tulsi Gabbard to his presidential transition team as co-chairs. Gabbard and Kennedy, both onetime Democratic presidential candidates, both endorsed Trump within the last week and are joining the transition team to “you know, and to help pick the people who will be running the government.” Kennedy is best known for his anti-vaccine and public health skepticism, pledges to not “take sides” on the 9/11 attacks, launching an independent campaign for president after discovering a dead worm in his brain, and confessing to leaving a dead bear cub in Central Park in 2014 because he thought it would be “amusing.” Gabbard’s past, meanwhile, includes skepticism that the Syrian government used chemical weapons during its civil war, defending Russia in its war against Ukraine, promoted transphobia, and spread Russian propaganda. (New York Times / The New Republic / Axios / Politico / Washington Post / CNN / Bloomberg)

More than 200 Republicans who worked for both Bush presidents, Mitt Romney, and John McCain signed a letter endorsing Kamala Harris for president. In their letter, the former staff members “jointly declare that we’re voting for Vice President Kamala Harris and Gov. Tim Walz this November,” and called on moderate Republicans and conservative independents in swing states who voted for Biden in 2020 to vote for Harris in November. “Of course, we have plenty of honest, ideological disagreements with Vice President Harris and Gov. Walz. That’s to be expected,” they wrote. “The alternative, however, is simply untenable.” (USA Today / NBC News / New York Times / ABC News / Associated Press)

Yeah, the disconnect isn't between "vibes" and "the economy" but between "metrics used by economists" and "the real world economy".
Companies have never been doing better, people haven't been doing worse since WWII.

figmentPez

Staff member
That poll question seems like it was asked solely to create a "Welllllll ackhtualyyyy..." moment. "You see, a recession isn't about the stock market, or spending power, or earnings, or anything consumers directly care about. A recession is solely concerned with the GDP, and the US is actually doing very good at the moment in that regards, because we're actually doing very well at production right now, so actually people should be happy about their actual economics because lots of stuff is happening actually, so that's not a recession and things are actually good."

they're being told that they can't get a raise because the company can't afford it, then are they wrong?
Well, yeah, they are wrong, because they're acting on the false info the company provided them...

The economy has been running without a sizeable middle class for way longer then it has with one, and by a giant margin at that. People have just bought the idea that capitalism made it that way with no interference and will just magically keep it that way forever, completely ignoring all the actual efforts that where put in to combat the dominance of robber barons and to put in place worker protections, which actually lead to the rise of the middle class.

The economy was booming during industrialization, and you just need to look at pictures of miners and working kids, which sometimes where the same, to see it wasn't going that great for them.

And sure, having a middle class to spend money expands the economy too, but in the end wealth is relative, and even with less productivity/money to their names, guys like Rockefeller and Carnegie wielded way more relative power to today's obscenely wealthy, which is something people like Musk, Bezos, Zuckerberg and Thiel likely would prefer more then simply bigger numbers for their net worth.