Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Jesus, over $16,000 a month?! And I thought it was pricey when the guy across the street rents his house for somewhere between $3000-$4000 a month. At least with this house, the renters get a nicer house, a big property, 3 car garage, a pool and access to good schools. Also, close to beaches and NYC, depending on your priorities.

GasBandit

Staff member
Jesus, over $16,000 a month?! And I thought it was pricey when the guy across the street rents his house for somewhere between $3000-$4000 a month. At least with this house, the renters get a nicer house, a big property, 3 car garage, a pool and access to good schools. Also, close to beaches and NYC, depending on your priorities.
The secret is money laundering, imo

It's not inflation.

To be fair, that could still be inflation, since wheat isn't bought by the end consumer a much, so demand for bread might be spiking because there's more money to spend on it, and more people that can afford it.

Firms taking advantage of that to increase profits, until the market can't bear the increase, is just how capitalism is supposed to work. And that still counts as inflation too.

Like this says: https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/15/business/inflation-biden-rate-fed/index.html it's just normal for them to do that during recoveries.

Now the fact that that screws over poor people, and might even kill them... well, now you know why there's no pure free market in any developed countries.

It actually reminds me of reading how the royal economist advised the french king to just let the economy work itself out right after they got into some nasty debt helping some UK colonies across the atlantic break free of the english crown. And the economy did eventually bounce back just as predicted. Not that it helped said french king, since he ended up missing a head in the meanwhile...

The secret is money laundering, imo
Could just be like Trump's hotels during his presidency, a straight up totally-not-a-bribe...

Man if you'da told me 5-10 years ago what my politics would be like today.... oof

"Welcome to the party, pal!"

I've said it before, but it's been interesting watching you slowly slide left over the years. You're nowhere near as left as me, obviously (I'm insufferably left, I admit), and we still disagree on some matters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like you're really a centrist or consider yourself libertarian anymore.

GasBandit

Staff member

I've said it before, but it's been interesting watching you slowly slide left over the years. You're nowhere near as left as me, obviously (I'm insufferably left, I admit), and we still disagree on some matters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like you're really a centrist or consider yourself libertarian anymore.
No, watching the 1% during COVID pretty much cured me of any notions that Laissez-faire economics can happen without devolving into corporatist feudalism.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, yeah, they are wrong, because they're acting on the false info the company provided them...
Are you saying that they got the raise and don't realize it? I think most people know companies are lying to them. My point was that they're not getting the money, and they're acting on the fact that they didn't get the money. Doesn't matter why. Company doesn't have the money? The economy is shit. Company lies about not having the money? The economy is shit. Any reason a worker isn't getting paid the money they deserve for their work? The economy is shit.

Who the fuck cares what a "recession" is according to economists or the 1%? As I said in another post, that poll question is a trick solely to set up an an aritcle rich-splaining money to people.

GasBandit

Staff member
Trump’s economic proposals would increase the national debt by $5.8 trillion over 10 years – almost five times more than Kamala Harris’ policy plans, which would add $1.2 trillion. According to nonpartisan estimates, Trump’s plan to permanently extend the 2017 tax cuts, eliminate taxes on Social Security benefits, and reduce the corporate income tax rate, would add a net $5.8 trillion deficits over the next 10 years. The Harris analysis, meanwhile, showed that her plan to expand the child tax credit, the earned income tax credit, extend enhanced premium tax credits, provide support to first-time homebuyers, and raise the corporate tax income rate to 28% would cost $1.2 trillion over 10 years. The Harris campaign called Trump’s agenda “an inflation and deficit bomb,” while the Trump campaign blaming her for a “Biden-Harris inflation tax.” (CNBC / Axios / NBC News / The Hill)

The Supreme Court refused to temporarily lift a nationwide injunction blocking the Biden administration’s federal student loan repayment plan. In an unsigned order, the court said it “expects” the appeals court handling the case to “render its decision with appropriate dispatch.” More than 8 million people are enrolled in the Saving on a Valuable Education program, which offers lower monthly payments and a faster path to loan cancellation. (Associated Press / Washington Post / CNN / NBC News / New York Times)

Two members of Trump’s campaign staff had a verbal and physical altercation with a staff member at Arlington National Cemetery where Trump was staging a campaign stunt. Trump, who once disparaged members of the U.S. military who had been captured or killed as “losers” and “suckers,” participated in a wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and then went to Section 60 of the cemetery, reserved for those recently killed in America’s wars abroad. Arlington officials had “reinforced and widely shared” to the Trump campaign that federal laws prohibits campaign activities by photographers “or any other persons attending for purposes, or in direct support of a partisan political candidate’s campaign” in Section 60. Nevertheless, when a cemetery official tried to prevent Trump’s campaign from taking photos and videos in Section 60, campaign staff members pushed and verbally attacked the cemetery official. The Arlington National Cemetery, meanwhile, said it “can confirm there was an incident, and a report was filed.” (NPR / NBC News / Axios / CNN / Washington Post / New York Times / ABC News)

Trump is selling a collection of digital trading cards for $99 each. Supporters who buy 15 or more cards, at a cost of $1,485, will receive a physical card with a piece of the suit he wore for the presidential debate against Biden in June. Supporters who buy 75 of the “America First Collection” of non-fungible tokens, at a cost of $7,425, will get to attend a gala dinner at the Trump National Golf Club in Jupiter, Florida. Trump Media, meanwhile, sank to its lowest level since shares became publicly traded, falling below $20 per share. (USA Today / The Guardian / CNBC / NBC News)

JD Vance once accused teachers without children of “trying to brainwash the minds of our children.” During a forum for Republican Senate candidates in Ohio hosted by the Center for Christian Virtue in 2021, Vance claimed that “so many of the leaders of the left” want “to control what our children learn.” Vance went on to criticize Randi Weingarten, the president of the American Federation of Teachers, saying she “doesn’t have a single child.” He added: “If she wants to brainwash and destroy the mind of children, she should have some of her own and leave ours the hell alone.” Vance previously drew criticism over other resurfaced remarks from 2021 in which he called Kamala Harris, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and Pete Buttigieg “childless cat ladies” who “want to make the rest of the country miserable, too.” (NBC News / HuffPost / Axios / Rolling Stone)

An environmental group called on federal authorities to investigate the co-chair of Trump’s presidential transition team. Robert F. Kennedy Jr. allegedly used a chainsaw to cut off the head of a dead whale, bungee-corded it to the roof of his minivan, and drove it five hours across state lines roughly three decades ago when he was in his 40s. The story was shared by Kennedy’s daughter Kathleen “Kick” Kennedy in a 2012 interview with Town & Country Magazine. “Every time we accelerated on the highway, whale juice would pour into the windows of the car, and it was the rankest thing on the planet,” Kennedy told the magazine. “We all had plastic bags over our heads with mouth holes cut out, and people on the highway were giving us the finger, but that was just normal day-to-day stuff for us.” In response to the story being recirculated, the Center for Biological Diversity Action Fund wrote a letter to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and called for the government agency to investigate whether Kennedy violated the Marine Mammal Protection Act, and the Lacey Act. (New York Times / ABC News / CNN)

The Army defended the Arlington National Cemetery official involved in an incident with the Trump campaign, saying the employee was “abruptly pushed aside” and “unfairly attacked” after she sought to “ensure adherence” to cemetery rules that bar recording for political purposes. “Participants in the August 26th ceremony and the subsequent Section 60 visit were made aware of federal laws, Army regulations and DoD policies, which clearly prohibit political activities on cemetery grounds,” the Army said. “This incident was unfortunate, and it is also unfortunate that the ANC employee and her professionalism has been unfairly attacked.” The employee “decided not to press charges” due to concerns over retaliation, and so the Army “considers this matter closed.” Although Trump’s team was allowed to visit Section 60, the burial site for military personnel killed while fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq, in his “personal capacity and bring personal aides, but not campaign staff,” the campaign falsely insisted it was “granted access to have a photographer.” (Politico / CNN / Axios / Associated Press / NPR / Washington Post / New York Times / NBC News)

JD Vance told Kamala Harris to “go to hell” for comments she didn’t make. When asked about the “incident” at the Arlington National Cemetery, Vance accused Harris of criticizing Trump’s visit, saying “she wants to yell at Donald Trump because he showed up? She can – she can go to hell.” He added: “Kamala Harris is so asleep at the wheel that she won’t even do an investigation into what happened.” The Harris campaign, meanwhile, called the confrontation between Trump’s campaign and a cemetery official “pretty sad” but “not surprising.” (Washington Post / NBC News / Wall Street Journal)

The International Association of Fire Fighters booed JD Vance during his speech at their conference. After Vance claimed that he and Trump are the most “pro-workers Republican ticket in history,” the firefighters union booed him. Vance then replied: “It sounds like we got some fans and some haters here.” (Daily Beast / Axios / USA Today / HuffPost)

The U.S. economy grew faster in the second quarter of 2024 than first reported. The latest reading of the gross domestic product came in at 3% – an upward revision from the 2.8% rate reported last month. The economy grew at a 1.4% pace in the first quarter. (Bloomberg / NBC News / ABC News / Reuters)

I feel like erryone left here has veered left hard. In the last 15 years I went from a copagandist racist sexist centrist to someone whose non binary queer partner tells them they might be a little radical. No truer zealot than an adult convert. Now I try to attend all local queer protests just to be another head in the crowd but because the left needs heavies to get between 18 year old Trans kids and a chud with a hammer.

FWIW I don't feel like I lean any harder to the Left than I already did, I feel more that many of the (loudest) Right have dragged their team's goalpost so much further along that even though _I_ haven't really moved, their actions have served to pull the midpoint farther away from me.

--Patrick
Same. I did all of my left-shifting long before I first came to Halforums way back in the halfpixel days.

I feel like erryone left here has veered left hard. In the last 15 years I went from a copagandist racist sexist centrist to someone whose non binary queer partner tells them they might be a little radical. No truer zealot than an adult convert. Now I try to attend all local queer protests just to be another head in the crowd but because the left needs heavies to get between 18 year old Trans kids and a chud with a hammer.
I'm totally a centrist.

I feel like no matter how Libertarian/Republican you start, once you can see that you've been straight up lied to once, then go back and see they've been lying to you for 50 years, there's no reason to ever believe them on anything again.

I feel like no matter how Libertarian/Republican you start, once you can see that you've been straight up lied to once, then go back and see they've been lying to you for 50 years, there's no reason to ever believe them on anything again.
I don't know what my political leanings were before college, but I've always been a proponent for, say, fighting global warming and climate change.

When I started college at 18, though, my older sister waa starting her master's degree in political science. Through her, I learned a lot about Marxism (ACTUAL Marxism, not Marxism defined by the alt-right). I learned a lot about social injustice through her, really. Since then, I've basically been sliding more and more left as the years went on.

For me, it's the exact opposite. After the "Citizen Revolution," too many people think the government is a magical entity that can and should provide them with everything they need for free, meaning completely free, without having to pay any kind of taxes.

No, watching the 1% during COVID pretty much cured me of any notions that Laissez-faire economics can happen without devolving into corporatist feudalism.
It's like i've been saying, if people en mass where capable of behaving in the ways required for that to work, then communism would have worked, and would have been a better alternative in the 1st place.

Are you saying that they got the raise and don't realize it? I think most people know companies are lying to them. My point was that they're not getting the money, and they're acting on the fact that they didn't get the money. Doesn't matter why. Company doesn't have the money? The economy is shit. Company lies about not having the money? The economy is shit. Any reason a worker isn't getting paid the money they deserve for their work? The economy is shit.

Who the fuck cares what a "recession" is according to economists or the 1%? As I said in another post, that poll question is a trick solely to set up an an aritcle rich-splaining money to people.
I take it you haven't read my next post after that one.

I'm saying that they're wrong about being in a recession according to the people making dictionaries...

Not being in a recession and the average joe not being poor are two very different things, no matter what they tell you.

As for the poll, i never said you where wrong about it... well, not until now, because you actually are, because you're still not seeing the actual trick (one that maybe even the authors of the piece aren't), since you still seem to think there's a "good economy" that will reward the workers with what they deserve, and this is just the economy not recovering "right". But there's no such thing, and never will be. You only get what you fight for, and the corporations know it, that's why they're making themselves "too big to fail" aka holding enough economic power so that if they fail it will impact everyone else for long enough to topple political regimes and/or upend economic systems, so they can then get bailed out instead of disappearing and making room for new businesses, as the free market would require.

In other words, the economy isn't shit, your employers are, and they will always be because that's how capitalism works, both sides are supposed to want to get everything from the other, and that's supposed to balance itself out. So what are you going to do about it ?

It's like i've been saying, if people en mass where capable of behaving in the ways required for that to work, then communism would have worked, and would have been a better alternative in the 1st place.
To be fair, we don't have the best data on how well communism works, because any time it looks like it may, the world powers (mainly the United States) make sure to overthrow that government and replace it with a pro-capital one.

figmentPez

Staff member
In other words, the economy isn't shit, your employers are, and they will always be because that's how capitalism works, both sides are supposed to want to get everything from the other, and that's supposed to balance itself out. So what are you going to do about it ?
The employers are part of the economy. Capitalism is part of the economy. The economy IS shit because parts of the economy that govern who gets money are broken. We fix the economy by changing the system.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is just religious theater. It's pretty obvious why non-Christians should be offended by this, but I'm angry about this because of my faith. The Bible specifically says that prayer should not be used this way. Prayer is not supposed to be a loud thing done to show off how religious you are. Not only that, but even if you believe in "speaking in tongues", the Bible says you're not supposed to speak in tongues without a translation! Getting up and babbling incoherently in a public space is blatantly against scripture. This is very literally hypocrisy. People putting on an act of being religious, while they are nothing but whitewashed tombs.

Prayer is not supposed to be a loud thing done to show off how religious you are.
This is just reminding me of the white Cadillac I would see around my former place of employment which was just half a mile down the road from a monastery-turned-trendy-revival-church whose license plate read "I TITHE."

...soooo I was looking for a link to include above and discovered that the people who run the church are also thinking about drilling for oil on the former monastery grounds? Now I like them even less.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Trump claimed that he had “every right” to interfere with the 2020 presidential election. In a Fox News interview, Trump said: “It’s so crazy that my poll numbers go up. Whoever heard you get indicted for interfering with a presidential election where you have every right to do it. You get indicted and your poll numbers go up.” Last week, however, Trump was indicted again in his efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss. Kamala Harris, meanwhile, said Trump’s remarks “make it clear that he believes he is above the law.” (NBC News / Axios / Reuters / The Hill)
  • Democrats grow concerned Republicans are planting seeds with legal suits to overturn a Trump defeat. “Democrats say the lawsuits, which are varied, are part of a concerted effort to sow distrust of the results.” (NBC News)
A federal judge rejected Trump’s attempt to move his New York criminal case into federal court. Three months after Trump was convicted in state court on all 34 felony counts of orchestrating an illegal conspiracy to influence the 2016 presidential election by falsifying business records, Trump filed a motion to move the case to federal court to indefinitely delay his sentencing scheduled for Sept. 18. U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein, however, ruled that Trump had not met the burden of proof required to move the case to federal court. Trump previously tried — and failed — to move the case to federal court. (Associated Press / New York Times / NBC News / Politico / CNBC News)

Democrats on the House Oversight Committee asked Trump to prove he never illegally accepted nearly $10 million from the Egyptian government. Jamie Raskin, the committee’s top Democrat, and Rep. Robert Garcia, the minority leader of a subcommittee on national security, asked Trump to provide evidence “that you never, directly or indirectly, politically or personally, received any fund from the Egyptian president or government.” The request follows recent reporting that five days before Trump became president in January 2017, a Cairo bank manager was asked by an organization linked to the Egyptian intelligence service to “kindly withdraw” nearly $10 million from its account in cash. “Surely you would agree that the American people deserve to know whether a former president—and a current candidate for president—took an illegal campaign contribution from a brutal foreign dictator,” they wrote. Late in his 2016 campaign, Trump wired $10 million to his campaign. (Washington Post / CNBC / The Hill)

The suit said:
Paxton [explains] that concerns around election security are "magnified" this year because "the Biden-Harris administration's open border policies have saddled Texas—and the entire country—with a wave of illegal immigration that has resulted in ballooning noncitizen populations across our State."
--Patrick

Not that it needs to be said, but literally nothing has changed about US border policy in forever.
Nothing glamorous and sexy that politicians love talking about, but the Dept of Transportation is working steadily to improve things. BIIP is now on it's third version! Zzzzzzz