Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
1/ A North Dakota judge struck down the state’s abortion ban, saying the state constitution creates a “fundamental right” to access abortion before a fetus is viable and restrictions on that right is “a violation on medical freedom.” Judge Bruce Romanick ruled that the abortion ban – one of the strictest in the U.S. – was “unconstitutionally void for vagueness.” The law, enacted by the legislature last year, made the procedure illegal in all cases except rape or incest but only when the woman has been pregnant for less than six weeks, or to “prevent the death or health risk to the pregnant female.” It’s the second time in two years that Romanick has overturned the state’s ban on abortion. (Washington Post / NBC News / New York Times / Axios)

2/ An Atlanta-area judge dismissed two charges against Trump in the Georgia election subversion case. A third charge against several of Trump’s co-defendants was also dismissed int the election interference case accusing them of criminally conspiring to try to overturn the 2020 election in Georgia. Trump now faces eight charges – down from 13 in the original indictment – and all the remaining defendants still stand accused of engaging in a racketeering conspiracy. Fulton County Judge Scott McAfee dismissed the three charges – filing false documents, attempting to file false documents, and criminally conspiring to file false documents – under the supremacy clause, which prohibits state prosecutions of activities that fall under federal jurisdiction. (Washington Post / CNN / NBC News)

3/ The New York Court of Appeals rejected Trump’s efforts to overturn the gag order in his New York criminal case, which he was convicted on 34 counts of orchestrating an illegal conspiracy to influence the 2016 presidential election by falsifying business records. The court dismissed Trump’s appeal because “no substantial constitutional question is directly involved.” Trump’s gag order, which bars him from making statements outside of court about witnesses, court and Manhattan DA staffers, jurors, prosecutors, and their relatives, will be lifted after he’s sentenced Nov. 26. (NPR / Axios / NBC News)

4/ Trump ruled another debate with Kamala Harris – two days after he visibly struggled and repeatedly careened between angry rants and bizarre claims about eating pets in their lone showdown. “THERE WILL BE NO THIRD DEBATE!,” Trump posted on his personal social media platform, falsely claiming victory in the debate he did not win. “When a prizefighter loses a fight, the first words out of his mouth are, ‘I WANT A REMATCH.’” Multiple post-debate polls, however, reliably show that audiences believe Harris won. (CNBC / Bloomberg)

GasBandit

Staff member
4/ Trump ruled another debate with Kamala Harris – two days after he visibly struggled and repeatedly careened between angry rants and bizarre claims about eating pets in their lone showdown. “THERE WILL BE NO THIRD DEBATE!,” Trump posted on his personal social media platform, falsely claiming victory in the debate he did not win. “When a prizefighter loses a fight, the first words out of his mouth are, ‘I WANT A REMATCH.’” Multiple post-debate polls, however, reliably show that audiences believe Harris won. (CNBC / Bloomberg)

Dave

Staff member
Loomer has been traveling with the Trump campaign, sleeping at Mar-a-Lago, and has been seen repeatedly hugging Trump or standing by him while he puts his arm around her and massages her back. Meanwhile Melania is nowhere to be seen. Hope Baron's eyes are more open than Don Jr. or the other one.

1726198609831.png

figmentPez

Staff member
For the second day in a row, Springfield schools have been shut down because of Trump's propaganda.

Springfield mayor seeks ‘help not hate’ as more bomb threats close schools, offices

"The Springfield City School District closed Roosevelt Middle School and evacuated Perrin Woods and Snowhill Elementary schools Friday morning after the city received two bomb threats via email, according to a city release. Cliff Park High School, a charter school outside the Springfield district, was also evacuated. "
"On Thursday, several city, county and school buildings around Springfield were closed because of a bomb threat to multiple facilities throughout the city.
"This included City Hall, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, the Springfield Driver’s Exam Station, Ohio License Bureau on the south side, Springfield Academy of Excellence and Fulton Elementary School. They were all cleared using explosive-detecting canines. "

On the immigrants eating pets thing.

What really gets me is that it's not even just pets, one of the pictures they keep spreading around is a dude carrying a goose. They act like it's terrible that they are supposedly grabbing ducks and geese to eat.

I would bet you a substantial amount of money that at some time in the last decade these people talking about this would have called "duck dynasty" as one of their favorite reality shows. You know the one about a family of redneck duck hunters who sell duck calls so that other hunters can blast and sometimes eat hundreds of ducks and geese?

Their mantra is always "When we do it, it's good, when other people do it, it's bad!".

(This of course is ignoring the fact that the image in question was just a dude in Columbus picking up some roadkill. Whether he would decide to eat it or not, nobody knows, but I'm sure if it was RFK Jr that goose would be in a pot pretty quick.)

At the HBC I teach at, I'd say that probably 10% of my students are first or second-generation immigrants. They tend to be from Nigeria, Ghana, Jamaica, and Haiti. I like having them in my classes because their parents are super pushy about education. They're always among my best students. I wouldn't mind importing more Haitian immigrants and kicking out an equal number of Trump's trash.

The sad thing is this country has been here many times before. Wherever minority groups prosper, resentful white people push back. That often results in explosions of violence in places like Tulsa and Rosewood. What's different is that most of Springfield's population is okay with having the Haitians around. Instead the conspiracy theories are being spread by whites who aren't even from the area.

GasBandit

Staff member
1/ A man waited with a rifle for 12 hours at Trump’s golf course in West Palm Beach, Florida before a Secret Service agent spotted him and opened fire. Trump, who was golfing at the club at the time, was unharmed. The FBI said it “appear[ed] to be an attempted assassination.” Ryan Wesley Routh did not have Trump in his sightline and did not fire his semiautomatic rifle. After the Secret Service spotted the muzzle of a gun protruding from the bushes several hundred yards away, Routh fled the scene and left behind his phone, a loaded rifle with a scope, some food, and a digital camera. Routh was pulled over and arrested around 2:14 p.m. after a license-plate reader system reported his vehicle on I-95 – about 45 miles north of Trump International Golf Club. Routh’s cellphone records also show he was near the perimeter of the golf course from about 2 a.m. until 1:31 p.m. He was charged with two gun-related offenses: possession of a firearm as a convicted felon, and possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number. Routh’s past history of criminal convictions – including possession of a weapon “of mass death and destruction” – barred him from owning a gun. Routh was not accused him of trying to kill Trump, but he did self-publish a 2023 book in which he appears to tell readers that they were “free to assassinate Trump.” (Associated Press / New York Times / Washington Post / NPR / Politico / Axios / ABC News / CNN / NBC News / Wall Street Journal / CNBC)

2/ Elon Musk deleted his post wondering why “no one is even trying to assassinate” Biden and Kamala Harris. Following intense backlash, Musk eventually deleted the post and tried to claim it was a “joke” that was “WAY less funny if people don’t know the context and the delivery is plain text.” The White House condemned Musk’s post, saying “violence should only be condemned, never encouraged or joked about. This rhetoric is irresponsible.” Meanwhile, Trump blamed the polarized political environment he helped create on Biden and Harris, citing their “rhetoric.” (New York Times / CNN / Bloomberg / ABC News / NBC News)

3/ JD Vance admitted that he has to “create stories” – like the debunked claim that Haitians in Ohio are killing and eating pets – to media attention. “If I have to create stories so that the American media actually pays attention to the suffering of the American people, then that’s what I’m going to do,” Vance said of his baseless claim that Haitian migrants were eating pets in Springfield, Ohio. The state’s Republican governor called Vance’s claim that migrants were eating pets “a piece of garbage that was simply not true.” The Ohio town, however, has been forced to close schools and government, and cancel its annual celebration of culture and diversity following bomb threats. (The Guardian / New York Times / Associated Press / NPR / NBC News / Axios / Rolling Stone)

Notables.
  1. How Roberts Shaped Trump’s Supreme Court Winning Streak “Behind the scenes, the chief justice molded three momentous Jan. 6 and election cases that helped determine the former president’s fate.” (New York Times)
  2. Laura Loomer, Trump’s new favorite conspiracy theorist, explained. “Trump’s increasingly close ties to the ‘proud Islamophobe’ expose some ugly truths his allies would rather keep hidden.” (Vox)
  3. Trump Defends Associating With 9/11 Truther Laura Loomer “Loomer, a conservative commentator, attended an anniversary ceremony with Trump at Ground Zero and posted about a 9/11 conspiracy theory days later.” (HuffPost)
  4. J.D. Vance Just Sold Out His Family to Defend Trump and Laura Loomer. “J.D. Vance brushed off Laura Loomer’s racist comments, despite being married to an Indian American woman.” (The New Republic)