Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Has anyone else ever read one of the official responses that Obama has promised if any of those petitions reach the target number? No? Then you're probably in for a big disappointment when the secession petitions hit their goals. Most of the responses are along the lines of "Thank you for your interest in this topic. As promised, I have considered the contents of this petition, and have concluded that such actions are not pertinent at this time." Or, if anything was asked that could be considered even coming anywhere near classified information, the response is "Thank you for your interest in this topic. Due to national security concerns, we are unable to discuss this matter at this time." Remember, the promise isn't that the president will respond about the meat of the petition, just that he'll respond about the petition.

I could see a state like Texas or Louisiana (which have oil or oil refineries) making it on it's own if it seceded, but all those flyover states would be basically fucked unless the US was extremely gracious in it's trade relations with the state. What does Alabama or Arkansas have to offer? How are the farm communities in these states going to survive without heavy government subsidies? It's not like we can't get food from places.

It really seems like none of these people have really thought this through. Even if the US didn't go to war to keep them in the union (and it would), they really don't have a prayer at surviving on their own.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I could see a state like Texas or Louisiana (which have oil or oil refineries) making it on it's own if it seceded, but all those flyover states would be basically fucked unless the US was extremely gracious in it's trade relations with the state. What does Alabama or Arkansas have to offer? How are the farm communities in these states going to survive without heavy government subsidies? It's not like we can't get food from places.

It really seems like none of these people have really thought this through. Even if the US didn't go to war to keep them in the union (and it would), they really don't have a prayer at surviving on their own.
I could see a state like Texas or Louisiana (which have oil or oil refineries) making it on it's own if it seceded, but all those flyover states would be basically fucked unless the US was extremely gracious in it's trade relations with the state.
making it on it's own if it seceded

Not to mention, the first time a major natural disaster hit one of those states after they seceded, they'd be screwed. Can you imagine what would have happened to Alabama if they hadn't been a part of the Union (and therefor privy to federal disaster relief), back in April '11?

Paul Ryan on recent interview with CNN on if they were shocked at the loss:

There was a large turn out in the urban areas that were just unprecedented.
Just say what's in your heart Paul, don't pussy-foot around. ;)

Apparently the secession petitions are now up to 30 states, and there's a petition to recount the election that has 36k signatures on it.

And we're now up to petitions for 37 states, including states that Obama won, like Oregon - though their petition is to secede from the union but remain an ally of the remaining 13 United States.

I also find it humorous that PR wants to JOIN the union at the same time that all the other states want to leave it. Maybe we can cobble together 36 other interested parties and just keep the same flag.[DOUBLEPOST=1352842849][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, it sure makes all the talk about "destroying America" and "being un-American" seem hypocritical. Hey buddy, you're literally petitioning to not be American and divide the union!

I like the two petitions to strip the citizenship of everyone who signs a petition to secede from the union, and then exile them. Also, the petition from the city of Austin, TX, to secede from the state of Texas and remain a part of the union if the state secedes.

I also find it humorous that PR wants to JOIN the union at the same time that all the other states want to leave it. Maybe we can cobble together 36 other interested parties and just keep the same flag.[DOUBLEPOST=1352842849][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, it sure makes all the talk about "destroying America" and "being un-American" seem hypocritical. Hey buddy, you're literally petitioning to not be American and divide the union!
Now now, it is a group of a few thousands idiots (if that) in those states that want to secede.

GasBandit

Staff member
You guys think THAT stuff is nuts?

Holly Solomon of Mesa, Arizona, had an argument with her husband Daniel over the election. Turns out that Daniel didn’t vote in this last election and that angered Solomon enough to try to run her husband over. After dodging his wife behind some light posts, Daniel decided to make a run for it, which turned out to be a terrible decision on his part.

Solomon then ran him over with her car. Daniel remains in critical condition. He told police that his wife ”just hated Obama” and blames him for the hardship that her family is going through.
Police reports indicate that Solomon was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, but is six months pregnant.

GasBandit

Staff member

Ron Paul gave his farewell speech to Congress yesterday, as he prepares for retirement at the end of this year. Having spent 23 years of his life on the floor of the House of Representatives, the congressman had quite a bit of things to say and questions to raise (and rightfully so!) during his 48-minute long speech, the highlights of which have been summarized into a list article by The Atlantic. Some of the memorable questions included: * Why is the TSA permitted to abuse the rights of any American traveling by air? * Why haven't we given up on the drug war since it's an obvious failure and violates the people's rights? * Why does changing the party in power never change policy? * Why do so many in the government and the federal officials believe that creating money out of thin air creates wealth? * Why should anyone be surprised that Congress has no credibility, since there's such a disconnect between what politicians say and what they do?

Apparently they didn't go anywhere, they just delayed paying their taxes in hopes of making the tax go away before they do: http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/...-away-because-of-50p-tax-is-completely-bogus/[DOUBLEPOST=1354145131][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't even... where do I... what... WHAT THE HELL?

I need a facepalm image of epic proportions for this.
Really, because i don't see how that's any more idiotic then an actual politician talking about women's bodies rejecting rape sperm...[DOUBLEPOST=1354145191][/DOUBLEPOST]
So, I really AM a demon in the sack.

Go me!
I can confirm that sex with Bowielee makes you gay... but you know, only if you're a dude.

Ok, I get how the mispronunciation and improper titling are gaffes. But I really fail to see how calling a country by the name it chose for itself when meeting with its elected leader is a gaffe. It is contrary to the official policy, but it also seems like simple courtesy. I mean, something about "We don't like the anglicization you picked out for your country's name, so we're going to ignore it and stick to the old one" just seems really undiplomatic to me.