Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Which is more offensive, a mascot with a real Native American name, like Chiefs, Indians, Sioux, etc., or a made up word that makes people think of a Native American mascot? What the hell is a Mohigan, anyway?

MOrgantown HIGh ANnual. It's the freaking yearbook.

Next week is boy scout summer camp, and it's virtual this year, which hopefully means I don't have to sit through the super cringey Arrow of Light ceremony. The people in Arrow of Light are great and do great things, but watching doughy white dudes being super serious while doing native American cosplay is not great.

Next week is boy scout summer camp, and it's virtual this year, which hopefully means I don't have to sit through the super cringey Arrow of Light ceremony. The people in Arrow of Light are great and do great things, but watching doughy white dudes being super serious while doing native American cosplay is not great.
I always say we must stop making overweight elderly men being the face of Scouting.

Maaaaaaaybe we should remove the cosplay bit. You can be respectful of traditions without the shallow costuming. The sad part is most of these guys would probably be like, "But how will we teach the TRUE Native experience?", like, maybe read a book? Acknowledge the actual life, practices, and suffering of the Native Americans?

I don't remember running into these issues with the Girl Scouts. They generally focused on women, or more specifically, white women's history, with Juliette Low and all that.

I guess if it really bothered me I could say something, but there's always a lot going on and Chief Running Steve always seems busy.

What the hell is up with Scott Adams? Like, I keep seeing some stupid shit come out of him these days, but this takes the absolute cake.
This isn't new. It's how he's been for years.

That being said, I did enjoy the Dilbert show and wish it hadn't been cancelled. So I guess MAGA

Saw this on SelfAwarewolves.

Dude, black people were literally slaves. Women were so second class they were not even allowed to vote, and the one state that did allow them to vote overturned their ability to do so not long after. They were all given less or no power and heavily exploited.

I know it's hard, Bill, to imagine that our nation was not born out of perfection, but there is a reason we even have a constitutional amendment system. Because the system was not perfect, it's still not perfect, and it's through hard work we are trying to live up to it's core ideals. Part of that means accepting that, yes, the system was installed so white men would run everything at the exploitation of others.

Reading Roberts' reasoning, though, a law written so that it places just as much burden on the wome, but would juuuusst skirt the borders of falling under the precedent of the Texas decision, would've been upheld. This was a very narrow win.
I continue to hope Kavanaugh suffers a debilitating stroke on January 21st under President Biden.

I continue to hope Kavanaugh suffers a debilitating stroke on January 21st under President Biden.
I suspect Kavanaugh will be there for a while. But Ginsberg will almost certainly retire immediately (that poor woman has been holding the line for too long in order to keep Trump from really fucking over the Supreme Court). Thomas is getting old, so I think there’s a decent chance of his seat opening in the next 4 years. I could see the next president nominating for two seats, if not more.

Speaking of writers that feel like they going off the deep end, what the fuck is up with JK Rowling? Stephen King retweeted one of her tweets about women's rights, which she wrote a follow-up new tweet gushing over her respect for him, then when someone else entirely asked Stephen King his opinions on trans rights, he said "trans women are women". She immediately deleted the gushing praise tweet and blocked Stephen King from her Twitter. Do you not understand how petty that is, Rowling?

Last edited:
She's incredibly transphobic and has been for awhile, but she just recently decided to go full mask-off with it.
Yeah, this. Which is a shame... as one of the bigger voices of the medium, she has a lot of influence on impressionable minds. On the other hand... her fan base has basically told her to go fuck herself over this, especially since this sort of shit kind runs counter to the primary message of her own writing. Mind you... her writing has a lot of other... questionable things in it already, such as a race of beings enjoying slavery, the general tone of the worth of non-magical folks, not to mention the whole "wizards used to shit everywhere and vanished it" thing...

Steven King reaffirming trans rights is the equivalent of the biggest voice in the medium telling her she's wrong.

I'm just glad that Harry Potter fans have to live with what I, someone who read Enders Game and it's sequels 1000 times have had to live with for a while now.

Dude, black people were literally slaves. Women were so second class they were not even allowed to vote, and the one state that did allow them to vote overturned their ability to do so not long after.
Sure, that's what all the documentation says... but i don't want to believe it, so it must not be true.

q.e.d.

Heh. This is definitely a political post.

I've started a petition for the mayor and chief of police of my nearest large town (I refuse to call them a city) to resign, for refusing to do anything about a violent racist attack that took place in the city, in broad daylight, back on the 20th of June. I sure could use some signatures.