Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Didn't know where to put this.

You know, I think one of the greatest disservices public education did to me and my generation was the Disneyfication of king's story, and depicting him as a peaceful moderate that was right while also depicting Malcolm X as a violent radical that was wrong. In truth they were both more alike than different, were both right, and were both killed for it.

figmentPez

Staff member
TIL that one of the latest lies from conservatives is "Platform vs Publisher". They claim that Section 230 says that "platforms" have to allow all speech, uncensored, or else they become "publishers" and are then responsible for everything they host online. I'll let the EFF explain why that's complete bullshit. But the same people who didn't understand Net Neutrality are eating up the "Platform vs Publisher" lie, and think that Facebook is severely infringing on free speech because they take down some posts and not others.

TIL that one of the latest lies from conservatives is "Platform vs Publisher". They claim that Section 230 says that "platforms" have to allow all speech, uncensored, or else they become "publishers" and are then responsible for everything they host online. I'll let the EFF explain why that's complete bullshit. But the same people who didn't understand Net Neutrality are eating up the "Platform vs Publisher" lie, and think that Facebook is severely infringing on free speech because they take down some posts and not others.
The funny thing is that the same people pushing for this would, by necessity, be ostracized from everything if they got what they want.

figmentPez

Staff member
The funny thing is that the same people pushing for this would, by necessity, be ostracized from everything if they got what they want.
Unfortunately, they wouldn't be the only ones thrown out. Who knows how far things would end up going. Would we see the end of user product reviews, because suddenly Amazon is held liable for everything users post? If moderation is all or nothing, then I think we lose more than just Twitter and Facebook. Kiss Gmail goodbye and plan to run your own mail server. Say goodbye to eBay, Etsy, etc. unless they start charging exorbitant fees to allow them to review each and every posting before it gets listed.

Which is why I'm inclined to believe that "get rid of Section 230" is just a bluff, trying to rile up their base, because a majority of businesses need it as much as anyone does.

I'm inclined to believe that "get rid of Section 230" is just a bluff, trying to rile up their base
I don't think it is.
I think they're just so genuinely short-sighted and focused on their desired outcome that they haven't bothered to research the other ramifications/side-effects of their proposals. See also: Tar sand extraction, coal mining, tax cuts, etc.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Everyone is either praising Bernie for his outfit today or making fun of him looking like a grandpa at the post office. But everyone loves his comfy mittens. Then I read this and think, "Just when I thought I couldn't like him any more than I already do."

Biden is a much better pick than Trump but Bernie is still my choice.

I was just talking with my wife last night about Bernie...and I was saying that I think he might actually have a stronger position to effect the kind of change he wants as chair of the budget committee than as president.

I was just talking with my wife last night about Bernie...and I was saying that I think he might actually have a stronger position to effect the kind of change he wants as chair of the budget committee than as president.
Agreed. As President you have to worry about a lot of different things including international relations, social hurdles, the environment, etc., but as chair of the budget committee, he can put all his energy into pushing the main changes he wants, which have always been economic.

Reconciliation explained more simply:

Under a narrow Democratic majority in the Senate, Bernie Sanders will oversee budget and spending work, including the procedural power of budget reconciliation the majority can use to evade the filibuster and pass massive bills without a single Republican vote.

Little musing but while going over Twitter today, I randomly landed on Mick Foley's twitter, a former pro wrestler who I greatly respected as a kid for his bravery and average body among hundreds of chiseled, greased up abs. Though I gave up following wrestling over a decade ago, and I lost huge respect for the WWE over the years due to their various scandals and McMahons support of Donald Trump, I prepared my grimace of sadness over what was likely going to be said, ready to lose a hero.

Turns out he is a really progressive guy.

Little musing but while going over Twitter today, I randomly landed on Mick Foley's twitter, a former pro wrestler who I greatly respected as a kid for his bravery and average body among hundreds of chiseled, greased up abs. Though I gave up following wrestling over a decade ago, and I lost huge respect for the WWE over the years due to their various scandals and McMahons support of Donald Trump, I prepared my grimace of sadness over what was likely going to be said, ready to lose a hero.

Mick Foley has written numerous books about wrestling (I reccomend all of them) but he's always been known as one of the nicest guys in the business. He's literally been called Wrestling Jesus because of all the volunteer work for kids he's done over the years.

I knew he was class when I was younger but again, I have been out of the wrestling loop for over a decade. I have lost a lot of people I used to look up to because it turned out they were bigots or just assholes, so it was nice to see Mick still such a wholesome guy looking out for people and being responsible. It's just good sometimes to learn good people are still good, because it feels so damn rare these days.

Everyone is either praising Bernie for his outfit today or making fun of him looking like a grandpa at the post office. But everyone loves his comfy mittens. Then I read this and think, "Just when I thought I couldn't like him any more than I already do."

I was 100% with Bernie on this: my body handles the cold horribly. My husband bought me one of those NFL full-bodied cacoons you see the players wearing on the sidelines for my son's late-season soccer games. If I had to attend the inauguration, I'd be wearing it, haters be damned.

I knew he was class when I was younger but again, I have been out of the wrestling loop for over a decade. I have lost a lot of people I used to look up to because it turned out they were bigots or just assholes, so it was nice to see Mick still such a wholesome guy looking out for people and being responsible. It's just good sometimes to learn good people are still good, because it feels so damn rare these days.
I don't follow wrestling, but I feel all of this. It's really nice, and unfortunately rare, when someone you enjoyed as a kid turns out to be an actual good person. Mr. Rogers being the exception.

Stone Cold Steve Austin will pleasantly surprise you. Jericho is very disappointing .

I liken it to the analogy of surgery day for brain cancer. We've known we've had the cancer for years, have had the surgery scheduled for a while, not entirely sure we'd make it to the day. We know that the surgery is not the end of the treatment, and that there are months, if not years, of treatment after the surgery to rid the body of disease. However, we made it to surgery day, the tumor was successfully removed, and we're still here. That's worth a moment of celebration on its own.

I'm pretty sure he's just wearing those because he got those mittens and now those are his mittens. Like, people are making jokes because he's wearing the same jacket he wore in the meme video, but it seems likely that he just has one winter jacket, so thats what he's always wearing.