Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I don’t want to be the attention-seeking asshole who says “But I’m special!” and derail this thread further with stories about my school. I’ll just say things are different here from what y’all have described, and I did not fully appreciate that until now.
You' were lucky *hugs* The lack of Civics education is one of the causes of all the mouth breathers on January 6th.

Last edited:
I'm aware.

Also, being civil should be an integral part of what it means to be citizen.
Humbly disagree. You should be civil to those that deserve it, but bad faith actors trying to undermine society should be called out for what they are and not afforded the civility you would give someone you simply disagree with. There is no room for civility towards those that actively want to oppress people, not matter how much it might make centrists and fence sitters uncomfortable.

Humbly disagree. You should be civil to those that deserve it, but bad faith actors trying to undermine society should be called out for what they are and not afforded the civility you would give someone you simply disagree with. There is no room for civility towards those that actively want to oppress people, not matter how much it might make centrists and fence sitters uncomfortable.
This is, yet again, another restatement of the Paradox of Tolerance.
The ones undermining society need to be unequivocally censured.

--Patrick

I actually support this ruling, if only because it means gun regulation would no longer arbitrarily be based on “how scary the gun looks.”

Besides, it’s immediately obvious to anyone with any sense of causality that if you want to effect regulations which have a prayer of actually affecting the amount of gun violence, you would need to regulate ammo, not guns. As much as I would hate to see it implemented, treating boxed bullets/cartridges the same way we currently treat Sudafed would probably do more to affect the relevant statistics than any gun ban ever would.

—Patrick

I feel like trying to regulate/ban guns or ammo will just lead to another pointless war on drugs type situation. We need more focus on why as opposed to how.

That doesn’t mean I don’t think we need more regulations on gun or ammo sales, but I don’t think focusing on that will fix anything.

Trying to outlaw guns in the USA at this point is pointless. Far more education, mental health services, etc etc will help reduce numbers more.
If I had a magic wand to spirit all those guns away that aren't, you know, sensible, and change people's identity about it, I would, but I don't.

GasBandit

Staff member
Until such time as the 2nd amendment is repealed through the proper procedure, it is unconstitutional for individual states to pass legislation to undermine it.

But republicans should keep their celebrations reserved - the same rationale will undo their effort where marijuana, abortion, gay marriage and trans rights are concerned.

Until such time as the 2nd amendment is repealed through the proper procedure, it is unconstitutional for individual states to pass legislation to undermine it.

But republicans should keep their celebrations reserved - the same rationale will undo their effort where marijuana, abortion, gay marriage and trans rights are concerned.
Republicans have managed to pass more gun restrictions in the past than democrats at the time, mostly aimed at trying to stop black people from having guns.

Random musing, but ever since I found out how much Evangelical leaders were calling Trump "God's Chosen" and all that shit, and now learning that more Evangelicals support Israel then anyone that actually follows Judaism, I am starting to think that maybe all the support he got was more sinister then I realized. The reason so many Evangelicals support Israel is because they want conflict to spiral out from that region, because that is one of the signs of Judgement Day, in which all of them would be Raptured to heaven for an eternal party while Jesus comes down to send all those non-repetend pretenders (including all those Israeli Jews) down to hell. Why do I think this is more sinister? Because rather then being idiots that just overlooked all of Trumps rampant corruption, adultery, narcissism, etc, these are people that knew damn well Trump lined up more with the Anti-Christ then anything Jesus taught. No, they wanted him in office because they have gotten so impatient for the big "eternal reward" day, that they have started openly doing things to push it forward now, including helping put into office a damn immoral grifter. This is why they can't let go, because him being out of office is another road block to the prophecy, so they need to get him back in ASAP to stay on schedule. This is why they would be more then happy to make him a dictator, because that is what the Anti-Christ was supposed to do.

Seriously, I didn't even think about it. Last year, before the election happened, my step-mother, a "godly loving woman" and staunch Trump supporter, told me I should go to church more because the end times were around the corner.

All these people really are in a death cult.

Random musing, but ever since I found out how much Evangelical leaders were calling Trump "God's Chosen" and all that shit, and now learning that more Evangelicals support Israel then anyone that actually follows Judaism, I am starting to think that maybe all the support he got was more sinister then I realized. The reason so many Evangelicals support Israel is because they want conflict to spiral out from that region, because that is one of the signs of Judgement Day, in which all of them would be Raptured to heaven for an eternal party while Jesus comes down to send all those non-repetend pretenders (including all those Israeli Jews) down to hell. Why do I think this is more sinister? Because rather then being idiots that just overlooked all of Trumps rampant corruption, adultery, narcissism, etc, these are people that knew damn well Trump lined up more with the Anti-Christ then anything Jesus taught. No, they wanted him in office because they have gotten so impatient for the big "eternal reward" day, that they have started openly doing things to push it forward now, including helping put into office a damn immoral grifter. This is why they can't let go, because him being out of office is another road block to the prophecy, so they need to get him back in ASAP to stay on schedule. This is why they would be more then happy to make him a dictator, because that is what the Anti-Christ was supposed to do.

Seriously, I didn't even think about it. Last year, before the election happened, my step-mother, a "godly loving woman" and staunch Trump supporter, told me I should go to church more because the end times were around the corner.

All these people really are in a death cult.
This is literally a lot of what drives the Evangelical movement: a bunch of people scared of what is actually going to happen to them when they die, so they want the Rapture to happen to they can get to enjoy the after-life without facing the soul-crushing fear that is dying. In their books, starting World War 3 is fine because -they- won't be around to face the consequences of it or so they think.

Fun fact: the Rapture as described by Paul in 1 Thessalonians 4 is supposed to happen at the same time Christ returns to judge the world. So, technically, everyone is gonna get raptured.

This is literally a lot of what drives the Evangelical movement: a bunch of people scared of what is actually going to happen to them when they die, so they want the Rapture to happen to they can get to enjoy the after-life without facing the soul-crushing fear that is dying. In their books, starting World War 3 is fine because -they- won't be around to face the consequences of it or so they think.
What gets me isn't even the fact that people have been guessing the date of this shit for hundreds of years, like The Great Disappointment, but that Jesus (based on what has been told) literally told his friends and followers that many of them "wouldn't see death in their time" due to his return, implying the Rapture would happen long before any of them grew old. This means either it already happened and we are living in the aftermath of that, or he is a good 1900 years late as all those people he told wouldn't meet death have long since died.

What gets me isn't even the fact that people have been guessing the date of this shit for hundreds of years, like The Great Disappointment, but that Jesus (based on what has been told) literally told his friends and followers that many of them "wouldn't see death in their time" due to his return, implying the Rapture would happen long before any of them grew old. This means either it already happened and we are living in the aftermath of that, or he is a good 1900 years late as all those people he told wouldn't meet death have long since died.
The common belief is that the two times he said this, something else happened immediately afterward that discounted the "taste death" part. The first was in Mark 9, when he said "Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power." The rest of the chapter was about the Transfiguration, where he was standing on a mountainside with Elijah and Moses, while Peter, James and John had followed him. That qualifies.

The other time was at the end of John, in chapter 21, where Peter asked about John and what was going to happen to him. “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?" was the answer. Obviously, John didn't live forever, but there's this book he wrote years after about a vision of the end times - and it's one that we all still argue about. Maybe you've heard of it - Revelation?

Anyone out there comes around claiming to know when Christ is gonna return, I generally roll my eyes and remember this: “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (Matt. 24:36).

You're not sure if the bible was referencing a movie more then a millennium and a half in the future?
Well, I was trying to be facetious, but it people can be convinced the Bible can reference an event a millennium+ in the future, regardless of future events or context...

Well, I was trying to be facetious,
Hey, that was like, my thing...

but it people can be convinced the Bible can reference an event a millennium+ in the future, regardless of future events or context...
Yeah, that's why i asked.

Well, that and you saying "i'm not sure" instead of "i don't know". I feel like that would have made it a little more clear. Then again, i'm me, so maybe it wouldn't have mattered and i would have commented anyway.

On a side note, why don't we have a default :shrug: emoji admins?