Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Not the Red Tsunami predicted/expected, Democrats aren't getting wiped out... But there's still a decent chance of R control of both chambers.
And seriously, the sheer amount of districts and states where it's ridiculously close - as in less than 1% difference - is just astounding. "why bother, my vote doesn't matter anyway" really just needs to disappear from everyone's vocabulary.

But there's still a decent chance of R control of both chambers.
With Fetterman winning Pennsylvania there isn't really a path now for Republicans to take the Senate. That seat used to be held by Pat Toomey, a Republican, so that is a lost seat for Republicans. Even if Warnock loses Georgia we are going to still have a 50/50 split, which means Democrats still control the Senate due to the Vice President getting the tiebreaker.

Even though there is a slim chance for a House takeover, the fact they are actually losing seats they saw as safe means they may just fall short of the majority by offsetting other losses. For instance, with less then 10% left to report, it looks like Lauren Boebert is going to lose her seat. Not going to get any hopes up because, as a Texan, I am still stuck in crazy town, but at least the rest of the nation seems to be doing better then I expected.

And again we are stuck with Ron Johnson. People complain nothing gets done, and we bring back the biggest do nothing Senator.

Wisconsin makes my heart hurt.

GasBandit

Staff member
And gerrymandering. But yeah.
Thing is, the Governor race is straight popular vote, not by district. So gerrymandering doesn't really affect it.

Now, maybe polling location closures and other methods of disenfranchisement could still apply, but the sad truth is most Texans really do value their guns over their children.

I guess after all, they figure they can always have more children as long as they can find a vulnerable 10 year old to be forced to carry it to term.

I know people are writing off last night as proof that trump is fading but it feels like it’s always been the case that the cult of trump doesn’t necessarily care about his endorsements

I know people are writing off last night as proof that trump is fading but it feels like it’s always been the case that the cult of trump doesn’t necessarily care about his endorsements
The people running under the R do though. The lying scumbag J.D. Vance SOMEHOW won last night, but didn't mention Trump once in his speech because Trump dogged him recently.

I can't believe Hershel Walker is in a dead heat with someone who isn't a brain damaged vegetable.
Part of the reason is because Walker is a former FOOSBALL player in Georgia. The benighted denizens of flyover counties still look up to him because college football is all they have to look forward to. And even though Warnock is a preacher at MLK's old church, he's got a D next to his name and Democrats are the devil.

GasBandit

Staff member
Socially incorrect thought of the day:
These election results may be thanks (in part at least) to COVID, or at least party line covid responses. Imagine what we'd be dealing with now if COVID deaths hadn't been there to kill 10 R voters for every D voter.

Socially incorrect thought of the day:
These election results may be thanks (in part at least) to COVID, or at least party line covid responses. Imagine what we'd be dealing with now if COVID deaths hadn't been there to kill 10 R voters for every D voter.
If only it had been 20 to 1.
:hide:

I have heard COVID described as "Boomer Remover." These are voters who think a decent, single-family house can be had for $24,000 and that a part-time summer job can pay for a year's college tuition. Millennials and Gen Z are starting to become more dominant. I think that's one of the reasons red state legislatures are trying so desperately to censor school instruction on racism and LGBT issues. They're afraid that young voters, who tend to not have the same hangups as their grandparents, will reject what they're taught at home and vote accordingly.

Dave

Staff member
Mail ins have yet to be counted and they skew blue. I ain't worried although they'll use that as an excuse. "They stole the election! Did you see those numbers change?!?"