Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Well yes obviously, I was just wondering if there was some reason beyond cynical broken politics. What's the windows dressing?
The Dems that voted against expulsion claimed that they didn't want to set a precedent of a lawmaker being expelled without a conviction or an ethics committee report.

This is honestly the biggest issue I have with politics, so much of it is basically theater.

Don't remember when I read it, but there was an article I remember in which a former Republican congressman said not to believe what anyone says while on the floor of the house, because they will always act a certain way in front of cameras, and that it's the closed door moments that actually get anything done. The fact so many politicians have to play pretend just because they want to keep themselves in power is one of the biggest failures of our system, because when your voters are extremists, by feeding into their shit you just galvanize them more, allowing them to spread until you lose control of the train. Democrats are not immune to this either.

It's pro wrestling, except one party's entire message is "government is bad and useless", so the more incompetent they are, the more it supports their message.

Plus, that NYT/Siena poll that New York Times reporters keep trying to insert into every conversation and topic flips completely when voters were asked if they'd vote the same if Trump is convicted of one of the 92 counts he's on trial for.

I would be highly skeptical of any polling at this stage. Right now the pundits are saying "Yeah, take it seriously and work to improve it, but also don't panic needlessly"

Really, the poll should have been "Trump Polls higher among people who answer unknown callers or respond to polls"

IE nobody under 40
The best polling firms account for this. They are very sophisticated in considering these very problems. But that is not all polling firms. So WHICH polling firm is in the news is important to consider but maybe that is too nuanced for most people.
Post automatically merged:

I would be highly skeptical of any polling at this stage. Right now the pundits are saying "Yeah, take it seriously and work to improve it, but also don't panic needlessly"
Skeptical is fine but the good polling firms really do know what they are doing. If you know which which which, that is better than blanket skepticism.

The best polling firms account for this. They are very sophisticated in considering these very problems. But that is not all polling firms. So WHICH polling firm is in the news is important to consider but maybe that is too nuanced for most people.
Post automatically merged:

Skeptical is fine but the good polling firms really do know what they are doing. If you know which which which, that is better than blanket skepticism.
Right, but it's also too early to get an accurate read on how people are going to vote in a year. There's a whole lot of crazy that can happen in that time, not even considering one of the candidates may not wake up after going to sleep.

Maserati Manchin? Fuck this guy, and fuck No Labels. Comically unserious whose only goal is to spoil elections in favor of the worse candidate.

Manchin sucks, but he did vote with Biden 88% of the time. It seems unlikely that WV will vote in another Democrat, so this could actually be pretty bad.

Yes, I understand how Manchin plays the game, but it's better than whatever MAGA shithead is likely going to take over.

Well, I guess I shouldn't assume too much. Maybe someone more progressive will have a better chance than Manchin.

Losing Manchin and Sinema is not a loss to the progressive or even moderate faction of democrats.
Either the senate goes R, in which case dems aren't to blame in the public eye, or they're replaced - possibly from other states - by more actually moderate candidates.
Yeah, WV is lost - but assuming no other spot could turn blue is... Well, no offense, but then your country is lost.

Nobody on this forum will ever see West Virginia elect a better senator than Manchin.
Nor are we likely to see north Korea elect a better president than Kim Yung Un, or Israel become a peaceful neighborly country. Doesn't mean we can't hope for it - or for at least it to be more clear and obvious.