Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Also this:
1706109605431.png

If you don't believe in the general election results if your side loses, who cares if your guy can legitimately win, anyway?

Dang, fun little Penn Jillette quote and kinda on topic here.

View attachment 47199
Here's the full interview, if anyone's interested. His insight that Trump never makes a joke is fascinating and on point. Trump's "jokes" basically boil down to "he's fat" or "she's ugly." Theres no actual humor behind it.

So big corporations do a financial analysis on how many people suffer from a product flaw before it incentivizes them to fix the flaw. Does the government do this for terrorist attacks?

This Bay Area school district spent $250,000 on Woke Kindergarten program. Test scores fell even further

This is the first school district I ever taught in. The experienced was very mixed. I had some colleagues who cared and tried hard, and a few who just didn't give a shit or were crappy from the start. Most of the parents are at their wit's end.

The superintendent mentioned in the article was the assistant superintendent at my school district two years ago; I can confirm he's a fucking idiot who always puts his personal views above everyone and everything else. He's super anti-Semitic, too, but anytime he's confronted with that he gives some bullshit about how anyone criticizing him for anything is racist. Incompetent asshole.

I do truly hate that a company called itself woke kindergarten unironically. And are those numbers normal? 8% proficient in math and 16% proficient in English?
Is it that they make the test overly hard or are a majority of kids not proficient in English and Math?

And are those numbers normal? 8% proficient in math and 16% proficient in English?
Is it that they make the test overly hard or are a majority of kids not proficient in English and Math?
They are (sadly) normal for that district. Most kids there struggle with basics for their grade level. The district I'm in now has 81% proficiency in English and 79% in math. And that's considered very high.

That particular school district has a long history (25+ years) of being shitty. I couldn't tell you what exactly is causing it, but the poverty of the area is obviously a big factor. Too many parents struggling to get by means they can't spend as much time (and certainly can't spend the money on tutors) to help their kids at home. Kids with learning disabilities don't get diagnosed, and if they do the parents & teachers aren't trained on how to properly support them.

The actual facilities are rundown - my first classroom there when I was a student teacher had pieces of cardboard covered in garbage bags placed into some the window frames after the glass broke. The roof was leaking when it rained hard. We didn't have enough textbooks for everyone, and I heard the high school literally didn't have enough seats for all students (some kids sat on floors, or on countertops). The cockroaches freely ran around in the hallways and the bathrooms. There was one copy machine for all the teachers and the staff to use, and due to funding cuts teachers had to buy their own paper if they wanted to make copies. There's no money for anything.

The worse the school district gets, the harder it is to get quality teachers. And many of the quality teachers who are there leave within 5 years, because why put up with the nightmare of working there when neighboring districts pay more with less hardship?

Last edited:
It is possible for both to be a problem in this case. Or do you think the program, as described in the newspaper, is a good idea?
For elementary school? No. Middle school and high school, possibly. Seeing how the school is 80% Hispanic, it's not a bad idea to make sure they don't just focus on white achievements, they still need the fundamentals (reading, writing, etc.) most of all. I've been in both low and high income public schools, and it's not just the money at the schools that make the difference. I'm sure as a teacher you know all too well when both parents are struggling with long hours just to keep food on the table and the lights on, it's almost impossible for them to follow up with their kids' education at home. It sounds like they went with an easy fix, instead of investing the money in various areas instead.

They are (sadly) normal for that district. Most kids there struggle with basics for their grade level. The district I'm in now has 81% proficiency in English and 79% in math. And that's considered very high.

That particular school district has a long history (25+ years) of being shitty. I couldn't tell you what exactly is causing it, but the poverty of the area is obviously a big factor. Too many parents struggling to get by means they can't spend as much time (and certainly can't spend the money on tutors) to help their kids at home. Kids with learning disabilities don't get diagnosed, and if they do the parents & teachers aren't trained on how to properly support them.

The actual facilities are rundown - my first classroom there when I was a student teacher had pieces of cardboard covered in garbage bags placed into some the window frames after the glass broke. The roof was leaking when it rained hard. We didn't have enough textbooks for everyone, and I heard the high school literally didn't have enough seats for all students (some kids sat on floors, or on countertops). The cockroaches freely ran around in the hallways and the bathrooms. There was one copy machine for all the teachers and the staff to use, and due to funding cuts teachers had to buy their own paper if they wanted to make copies. There's no money for anything.

The worse the school district gets, the harder it is to get quality teachers. And many of the quality teachers who are there leave within 5 years, because why put up with the nightmare of working there when neighboring districts pay more with less hardship?
I guess I knew that the system was failing kids but 8% is beyond my worst expectations.

I feel like even as a commie Canadian leftist, that whole Woke Kindergarten things sounds so fucking stupid. We can't keep being this fucking stupid.

It sounds like a bad SNL sketch.

It sounds like a bad SNL sketch.
I was just about to say the same thing. Woke Kindergarten? Disrupting whiteness? Lil' Comrades? I guess things might be different in the Bay Area, but I can't take that seriously. It almost seems like a right wing covert op in the vein of Project Veritas to make liberals/progresives look bad.

figmentPez

Staff member
Utah teen athlete faces threats after state official posted photos questioning her gender

The girl is now under police protection (which brings even more safety concerns) at school.

The school board member who questioned the teen's gender has since recanted her accusations, but claims it is "normal to pause and wonder if people are what they say they are". Oh, well I guess we need to wonder what the school board member is hiding. What false claims is she making?

She also has a history of being an asshat. She's been repremanded for inciting hate speech because she told her followers "time to get our muskets" in response to the display of a pride flag at a church. She has also accused schools of supporting child sex trafficking, and has questioned the gender of school board staff members.