Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
A group of House Republicans introduced a bill to rename D.C.’s Dulles International Airport to the Donald J. Trump International Airport. The effort has next to no prospects in Congress given the Republican’s one-vote majority in the House and Democrats controlling the Senate. Nevertheless, Rep. Guy Reschenthaler, a Pennsylvania Republican who sponsored the legislation, said: “In my lifetime, our nation has never been greater than under the leadership of President Donald J. Trump.” Democrats, meanwhile, panned the bill as “ridiculous” and an attempt by Republicans to “suck up” to Trump. “Donald Trump is facing 91 felony charges. If Republicans want to name something after him, I’d suggest they find a federal prison,” one Democrat said in a statement. Another Democrat added: “Dulles is an old, ugly airport that no one wants to see. So I think this is a fitting tribute to 45.” (Axios / Politico / NBC News / CBS News)

I am so glad the republicans don’t have a majority in either branch of our state government right now.

OK, but....
A) If this is really the End Times, that might be for the best, we peaked a couple of decades ago and the Aztecs had it right all along - going out in 2012 would have been a mercy
and
B) the right claiming this is something to "usher in a billionaire-led new world order"? I know about cognitive dissonance, but, seriously? Who exactly has a supposed billionaire running for leader of the free world?

I have witnessed in person someone defend Elon Musk and get angry about the elites ruining the world in the same fucking sentence and it took a lot of self control not to hit my little brother.

No, the ACLU has defended the Constitution when some Nazis were having their rights as American citizens threatened. And they made that clear the whole time, unlike this shitty politician.
That is very much what I meant, in that they have rights as citizens. No context for that video clip, thus I asked.

The ACLU has even defended Nazis. That said, what was done to the Nazis that requires a defense?
They're trying to set up a white supremacist training camp in Maine. Maine is responding by trying to ban paramilitary activity or groups working to cause civil disorder.

I particularly liked Democratic State Rep Amy Roeder's comment “You ever been at work, just doing your job and enjoying the day when one of your coworkers stands up and asks why Nazis are so bad? No? Well, lemme tell ya ‘bout my day…”

GasBandit

Staff member
The chair of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence warned that it was “absolutely true” that some Republican members of Congress were repeating Russian propaganda on the House floor. “We see directly coming from Russia attempts to mask communications that are anti-Ukraine and pro-Russia messages,” Rep. Michael Turner said of his fellow Republicans, adding: “There are members of Congress today who still incorrectly say that this conflict between Russia and Ukraine is over NATO, which of course it is not.” Turner’s comments follow remarks from House Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Michael McCaul, who said Russian propaganda had “infected a good chunk of my party’s base” and suggested that conservative media was to blame. (Washington Post / NBC News / The Guardian)