General Empyrion Thread

Also, to be perfectly frank, I don't expect this game to go "live" in at least 2-3 years. If even then. It's been in Early Access since 2015. It's the very definition of an "always-in-development" EA game. There's just still way too much on their to-do list. And I worry that when that happens, it'll be like Space Engineers - everybody will be like "Been there, done that, moved on" and all the servers (including mine) will be ghost towns.
Yeah, this game doesn't really strike me as one that's ever going to be a large commercial success. I don't mind, because it's still fun, but it is extremely alpha.

Yeah, this game doesn't really strike me as one that's ever going to be a large commercial success. I don't mind, because it's still fun, but it is extremely alpha.
And yeah, eventually some problem is going to come along that can't be fixed without a full wipe, and we're either going to have to start from scratch or decide that it isn't worth it and move on. Personally, I'll probably build it all again, because the leveling experience is fun, the initial struggle is fun, and the initial building up of materials is fun, it's just now - when you hit the doldrums while waiting for opponents to come find you, or try to schedule PvP combat for a time when everyone has time for the battle and for the repairs - that it slows down and starts to drag.

GasBandit

Staff member
Challenge mode: Level up... build a bunch of really tough ships and bases, park them in PvP on desired resources... then CB:RESET and do it again!

Word on the forums is that they reduced the amount of XP gained to 38 per plant picked. That's a massive reduction. Combine that with the reduction in spawn points for predators, non-predators, and aliens, the fact that drones never start attacking again after the drone base regenerates, and the massive new planet sizes and you're setting up for one hellish grind.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, today it started happening. Huge numbers of asteroids and POIs have now switched out their regen timers in game for "Regen = N/A" which is usually what player structures say, and as such they are not regenerating. I tried a few tricks to see what I can do... and the upshot is, I can MANUALLY regenerate them one by one if I so desire, while I'm in game, but automatic regens are now dying out.

Here's hoping for another hotfix to address this soon. (THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER)

Oigh. I really really really would rather not have to wipe playfields.

I've got multiple planets now that haven't had their drone bases cored where there are just no drone attacks anymore, and none of the asteroids in Mohu, Normus, or Optune have regenerated (and I'm not going to stray close enough to one of the asteroids in Udus to find out if they regened because yesterday I lost half a ship - curiously, the half facing away from the guards). Also, the repair pad I used this morning de-repaired my ship. I ran the Repair to Template portion and it correctly replaced the missing blocks, but then the Repair Blocks portion unrepaired portions of the ship - it cracked a bunch of windows, warped a bunch of floors, and took a cargo box down to 99% damage. After I replaced the missing blocks it was at 99%, and after repairing the blocks, it was down to 98%.

GasBandit

Staff member
and I'm not going to stray close enough to one of the asteroids in Udus to find out if they regened
As of last night, Udus Orbit was not regenerating - neither the asteroids, nor the POIs.

I lost half a ship - curiously, the half facing away from the guards)
Hrmm, that's what happened a few weeks ago when Xellosse did his drive by of my base in bonanza... parts of my defenses on the opposite side from his approach were destroyed.

GasBandit

Staff member
Update: July 19, 2018 - Alpha 8.2.2: Build 1780

Bug Fixes:

- Fixed: Exploit - using shift + F could give infinite loot
- Fixed: NPC / Trader were dropping through the ground when DSL structure is reloaded
- Fixed: Possible network problem
- Fixed: Several internal exceptions

GasBandit

Staff member
So, hey.. uh... turns out a few days ago when fixed the thing where the server deleted bases that were smaller than 10 blocks?

Yyyyyeah I accidentally also disabled all offline protection. We've been without OP for most of the week.

Well, that's fixed now. OP is working again.

GasBandit

Staff member
To help alleviate the problems posed by the still-buggy repair system, I have tripled the rate of fire of CV multitool turrets, so that tearing down things in space is less onerous.

To help alleviate the problems posed by the still-buggy repair system, I have tripled the rate of fire of CV multitool turrets, so that tearing down things in space is less onerous.
Thank god. Even with their supposed fixes stripping ships down is far, far easier, more convenient, and cost/time effective than repairing a busted one. Even when one of our ships came back with 5 minutes worth of damage I couldn't position it in such a way that it would use the repair pad, even though its sister ship was on a second repair pad nearby and doing just fine. Parked exactly the same. One ship (for 1h35m) has no problem repairing, the other (for 5m34s) cannot be repaired.

Oh, and that damage I noticed on my ship after it "repaired" yesterday? I can't fix it with the multitool. The damaged blocks can be targeted (moused over) and display their damaged states, but they cannot be repaired. Clicking the button doesn't do anything, the repair laser doesn't even fire. Also, sometimes it fixes glass to 100% but then won't remove the cracks, and then they're not damaged, so you can't repair them anymore either, unless you do some damage to them first.

Ugh. Whatever you do, if you're on a planet and get the "Drones are coming to attack your base," message - don't leave the planet until they attack. I got that message on one of my planets last night, teleported off to do something else, and never made it back. This morning, when I teleported in and the walls of the base weren't DSL'd in yet, I took three plasma drone blasts to the face and then they proceeded to wreck my base until it phased in and could shoot at them.

Edit: Oh, but maybe build 1783 will fix that...

GasBandit

Staff member
Server is now back up running build 1783.

Update: July 21, 2018 - Alpha 8.2.2: Build 1783

Bug Fixes:
- DSL: Structures/Vessels use many times more fuel than loaded (SP and MP)
- AI behaviour exceptions
- After returning to a CV with docked vessels sometimes the docked vessels are not visible until a relog is done [edge case]
- CropYield display was not always correct

Changes:
- Blue AlienPlant07 now drops PlantProtein (to find sth to eat in Forest)

Dave

Staff member
I was on this morning and I went mining. When I got back to my CV my SV was registering as being 1.5 AU away. I logged out and it then showed as 560 AU away. Pretty good distance for an SV!

I was on this morning and I went mining. When I got back to my CV my SV was registering as being 1.5 AU away. I logged out and it then showed as 560 AU away. Pretty good distance for an SV!
Yes, sadly we were unable to recover the Pew Pew Too. I mean, Gas was able to recover it and warp it back to me, but each time he did, it warped away again if I tried to interact with it, and the one time I managed to get in, it just game me continual CoQ errors until I quit.

Dave

Staff member
Like I said, it's a prefab 2. I can make another. What I DON'T know is how much ammo it had or if I had anything in the cargo boxes. But it wouldn't be anything I couldn't remake so I'm not worried about it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Applying update now.

Update: July 22, 2018 - Alpha 8.2.3: Build 1787

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed: added possible fix for captured POIs vanishing when player returns

Please note that, unfortunately, this will not bring back captured POIs that have already vanished AUTOMATICALLY. There is a way you can retrieve those lost bases in SP and MP: https://empyriononline.com/threads/help-topic-how-to-recover-lost-or-stuck-vessels.38357/

========

Update: July 21, 2018 - Alpha 8.2.2: Build 1786

Changes:
- Temporarily removed SHIFT-F (Needs to be redone for 8.3 in a proper way so exploits and issues with picking up backpacks are avoided)

1786 - Disabled <SHIFT>-F entirely until the exploits can be patched away.
1787 - Added possible fix for stuff that teleports light-years away.

EDIT: Oh hey, Gas is finally awake.

--Patrick

Huzzah! Gas' bounty program has paid off, and resulted in some real, honest to goodness PvP. The total damage (so far) to the RDR base in Bonanza Orbit is two defensive structures (one which was cored by Bear and one which was too damaged to repair), five CVs (the space mine that Xellosse cored, whichever DSAT Bear Cored, two more DSATs, and the Bunker Buster, which was too useless to waste the resources on repairing again). And two SVs.

GasBandit

Staff member
Even with the bounties, I had to get the ball rolling by attacking you myself... Xellosse and Bear followed after to capitalize on a weakened target after my Tantive IV had suffered the brunt of the damage and had to warp out and repair for 4 hours :p

Even with the bounties, I had to get the ball rolling by attacking you myself... Xellosse and Bear followed after to capitalize on a weakened target after my Tantive IV had suffered the brunt of the damage and had to warp out and repair for 4 hours :p
I know. If you hadn't gotten the ball rolling I was about to the point of building one of those cargo box sleds that Noodle dropped on your doorstep after Eva glassed your base on Titan, filling it full of ingots, and dropping it off at the Gaszebo so you could offer it up as repair resources.