General Empyrion Thread

Let us know before you run the wipe. At the potential expense of everyone's system resources, I'd love to see my super structure, final fallback base tested out by whomever is hungry.
You can come by my place, too.
Call ahead, though. I might need to turn off the turrets.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, it won't really be so much a "wipe" as it will be just changing a line in the server config to point to a different save.

But at any rate, it'll probably happen Saturday Morning. Or maybe Friday night, at the earliest.

In other news, the patch notes for Build 1850 appeared:

Update: August 28, 2018 (Build 1850)

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed: When activating CV turrets via Control Panel device list, they did not shoot when main "Weapon & Turret" switch is off
- Fixed: Color Tool - icons "Replace Mode" and "Apply to Whole Block" were switched
- Fixed: Problem that dancing NPC were stuck to the ground (now they are moving)
- Fixed: Exception when applying Adrenaline Boost status effect

Changes:
- Re-scaled some retractable turret models
- Updated several device textures (Consoles, Cockpit CV, Passenger Seat, Warp Drive, Warp Drive Tank etc) to match new coloring convention
- Updated PDA: Mission "Huntsmen" and changed Triceratops to Pangolin

So what happens to the old save? Does it just sit there, taking up space on your drive/in your backup?
Also, if the save location changes, might want to take a break from drowning in yamls to make sure your nightly scripts reference the new location(s) while you're at it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
So what happens to the old save? Does it just sit there, taking up space on your drive/in your backup?
Pretty much, until I'm convinced I don't need to keep it around anymore.
Also, if the save location changes, might want to take a break from drowning in yamls to make sure your nightly scripts reference the new location(s) while you're at it.

--Patrick
That won't be an issue. Once I've changed the save definition in the mydedicated.yaml, everything else redirects itself, even in the EAH.

Oh, I don't know if I've been clear on the fact that, for weeks and weeks now, I've not been using windows task scheduler to do the nightly backups and stuff... I figured out how all that works in EAH, so it's been handling everything for quite a while now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Another hotfix:

Update: August 29, 2018 (Build 1852)

Changes:
- Updated vessel weapon box model and textures: now the box has slanted edges
- Reduced oxygen capacity of Heavy Epic Armor to 1000 (due to save format constraints)

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed: Barrels of retractable turrets do not stick out anymore from the box when pointing up while being retracted
- Fixed: Playfield exception causing planets to become inaccessible.
- Fixed: When filtering for CV weapons/turrets in a constructor some of the ammo for them doesn't appear.

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't updated the server yet, as someone's actually playing on it, and it seems a minor thing that can stand to wait.

GasBandit

Staff member
Another 7 sectors done tonight. Right on track for finishing this up late friday night. Probably will switch the server over saturday morning, as I've said previously.

(Really, this means the map currently has as many sectors in it as it did when I first launched the server... but I know that's not enough for you guys :p )

Final battle at Normus from inside the walls. (May need to give it a bit, it's a big video and was still processing).

GasBandit

Staff member
The Wipe is done.

Important changes:

Akua/Ningues/Bonanza are all smaller.

Once you leave Akua/Ningues space, you cannot warp (with a ship) back to Ningues. You can, however, take the public teleporter back to Akua from Gargantua City. Trading Outpost sector is still PvE. I recommend you build your "fallback" base there first.

Land claim devices are now required to implement anti-grief. There are no other Anti-grief measures.

Have fun, everyone!

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, also, I think everybody knows this now, but Exp gain has been made much faster, to help offset the decrease in farming exp rewards. Dave and I are already 25.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I figured out what was causing the terrible delays on Akua yesterday - its playfield service had gotten up to 8 gigs of ram. Some new memory leak, I guess, and because everybody's always on akua, it never got unloaded from memory. It's back down to normal now, and as people spread out from akua I expect it will be less and less of a problem. And, if it does get to be a problem again, I know what to look for, and I can bounce that one playfield alone and clear up the issue if I have to.

I think I figured out what was causing the terrible delays on Akua yesterday - its playfield service had gotten up to 8 gigs of ram. Some new memory leak, I guess, and because everybody's always on akua, it never got unloaded from memory. It's back down to normal now, and as people spread out from akua I expect it will be less and less of a problem. And, if it does get to be a problem again, I know what to look for, and I can bounce that one playfield alone and clear up the issue if I have to.
The instant the server restarted, I logged back in...and everything was perfect on Akua again. Bikes worked fine, pressing F no longer took 12 seconds to open a cargo box, I didn't even slow down when biking from place to place. It was great. I couldn't tell how many gigs of RAM it had shed, but I bet it was back down to something a lot more svelte.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The instant the server restarted, I logged back in...and everything was perfect on Akua again. Bikes worked fine, pressing F no longer took 12 seconds to open a cargo box, I didn't even slow down when biking from place to place. It was great. I couldn't tell how many gigs of RAM it had shed, but I bet it was back down to something a lot more svelte.

--Patrick
According to the logs, it went from 7.5 gigs to 0.6.

Dave

Staff member
Well, it looks like we've got another good PvP group on the server. Not sure how I feel about this.

Dave

Staff member
Well, I'm happy to see the server picking up, but I'm not a big PvPer, so Minecraft in Space it is.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Elemental Space Race portals are working, now, as is the race itself... but the return gate from the race dumps you out on Oscutune. Doh. I don't know how to fix this since it is an instance zone... it gets a lot more complicated. If you DO go to the ESR, might be best not to use the return portal, but instead wait for the (very short) timer to expire and send you back where you (hopefully) came from.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, as I'm going to be headed out of town after work today, admin support will be extremely limited for the next ten days. Please remind/teach noobs about getshipshere and getshipdown in my absence, and if all the traders vanish from Gargantua City, and I am not around to bounce the playfield, you can try to get the playfield to unload itself simply by having everyone leave trading outpost for 2 or 3 minutes. I'll be looking into adding the new swamp planets when I get back, as well as redoing the arid planets (other than Bonanza) with new YAMLs so they get the new POIs.

Dave

Staff member
So tonight Pat, Shadows, and myself were running POIs and I happened to glance at my Twitch. I had 23 people watching. After the stream was over I discovered that I’d been featured on Empyrion’s official web site front page. I have 4 new followers and got 2 subscriptions! Holy cow!

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, assuming I did everything right and shit doesn't get broke as fuck, after the 2pm reboot today (Saturday), there should be a sampling of PvE content added in the vicinity of Ningues.

The cost for this is, I'm updating to the newest version of EmpyrionTeleport... which allows me to ban teleporters in specific playfields. Teleporters will be banned from Akua, Akua Orbit, Akua Moon, Ningues, Ningues Moon (yes, there is one now), and the new PvE Content.

I am also removing the teleporters between Akua TS and Gargantua City.

Once you leave PVE space, the only way back is in a pine box (with fresh start), going forward.

Alright, assuming I did everything right and shit doesn't get broke as fuck, after the 2pm reboot today (Saturday), there should be a sampling of PvE content added in the vicinity of Ningues.

The cost for this is, I'm updating to the newest version of EmpyrionTeleport... which allows me to ban teleporters in specific playfields. Teleporters will be banned from Akua, Akua Orbit, Akua Moon, Ningues, Ningues Moon (yes, there is one now), and the new PvE Content.

I am also removing the teleporters between Akua TS and Gargantua City.

Once you leave PVE space, the only way back is in a pine box (with fresh start), going forward.
So, can you teleport my base out of Gargantua City Orbit and into one of the PvE orbits then, so I can use both locations, or will I need to disassemble it and rebuild it myself, since I'll never be able to travel back and forth between them?

GasBandit

Staff member
So, can you teleport my base out of Gargantua City Orbit and into one of the PvE orbits then, so I can use both locations, or will I need to disassemble it and rebuild it myself, since I'll never be able to travel back and forth between them?
I spose it's not unreasonable for me to do one-time base moves. Just let me know when you find a place you want it and I can warp it to you.

I spose it's not unreasonable for me to do one-time base moves. Just let me know when you find a place you want it and I can warp it to you.
When I get in tonight, I’d rather have a warp to my base (in person or in CV) whereupon I will just disassemble it and my shuttle and pack it out, just like I did on Akua. I would have you just move it, but it’s a PvE ground base, and therefore unfit for space.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
When I get in tonight, I’d rather have a warp to my base (in person or in CV) whereupon I will just disassemble it and my shuttle and pack it out, just like I did on Akua. I would have you just move it, but it’s a PvE ground base, and therefore unfit for space.

—Patrick
I can put it in space.