General Empyrion Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I noticed that in my brief playthrough yesterday. Wreckage still floating in the air. Harvesting plants still creates a small hole in the ground for you to fall into. Start on one planet and you get a pistol but no ore scanner or detector, start on another and you get those two things but no pistol. Incredible amounts of clusters of three aggressive dinos ALL OVER the place. Plant harvesting hit boxes are all over the place. I didn't even get to the constructing anything point - largely because there were no iron bearing rocks on the surface of my world. And the complaints on the Steam forums are about what you'd expect for this launch. Three straight pages of variations on the same three themes - coop doesn't work, game keeps crashing, fix the fucking motorcycle.
At least the handheld detector is able to be made in the suit constructor for no materials, now. I haven't noticed the harvesting issues you spoke of, but I don't disbelieve it either.

I haven't tried co-op, since I got the server working again. I've only crashed to desktop once (and not gotten any COQs yet)... what's the deal with the motorcycle? Are people complaining that it still has a hamster for an engine?

fix the fucking motorcycle.
I still haven’t fallen through the world yet, but I’m waiting for it. :D:rolleyes:
what's the deal with the motorcycle?
Previously, if you were going too fast when you crested a hill or hit the bottom of a valley (or intersected a vertical plane), the bike would invert. Sometimes that means you’d be facing back the way you came, other times you would be turned upside-down, piercing the ground, and fall out of the world.

—Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Only silicon deposit near me has a freaking drone factory on it :(
One of the new dynamics of the game is that early ships can be built out of carbon, using less iron/silicon/copper. It's in your best interest to make the simplest SV you possibly can as early as you possibly can, and then go up into orbit and use an SV detector to find the asteroids there.

One of the new dynamics of the game is that early ships can be built out of carbon, using less iron/silicon/copper. It's in your best interest to make the simplest SV you possibly can as early as you possibly can, and then go up into orbit and use an SV detector to find the asteroids there.
Got me enough to build a simple HV...i'll use that to grind out my SV

GasBandit

Staff member
Got me enough to build a simple HV...i'll use that to grind out my SV
If I knew then what I know now, I literally would have placed an SV starter, stuck an RCS, pilot seat, detector and single thruster on it, and gone to space ASAP to mine that sweet, sweet asteroid bounty.

Protip - shutting off power to your ship immediately stops it in place even if it doesn't have thrusters in every direction

If I knew then what I know now, I literally would have placed an SV starter, stuck an RCS, pilot seat, detector and single thruster on it, and gone to space ASAP to mine that sweet, sweet asteroid bounty.
Maybe wait until you've built an armor locker though, hmm?

--Patrick

So, I got a tiny SV. Managed to get Silicon, Cobalt, Iron and Copper. Mining in space in a light armor suit sucks, so my next order of business was to go price out a medium armor suit in the NPC trading POI. Saw a shop with some food hanging out, so I just picked it, like in the old days.

People started shooting at my, and my faction reputation dropped to unfriendly. I managed to get away...but how do I raise it back up so that I can trade with those guys?

Killing universal enemies (monsters) while in their territory seems to be the easiest.
Or you can kill the other factions that they hate. Of course, that will make the other factions hate you.
There's a sort of price list for that you can call up in the faction list.

--Patrick

yeah, looks the only thing I can do is kill predators in their territory. I guess I can look for their territory planetside and work on that.

Damn, the ice planet is rough.
1st attempt - Hail damage took me to 20hp by the time I actually landed my pod (in a lake), at which point I bugged out to be standing under the water's surface under my pod. Exiting and reentering the game put me above the water level at which point I immediately died as the hail took my last 20hp. Chose "start over."
2nd attempt - Hail damage killed me before I even touched the ground. Chose "spawn in nearest base."
3rd attempt - Upon respawning in the trading post, I immediately broke my leg For No Reason (the typical Eleon teleport™). No credits and nothing to sell to buy a bandage to fix it, either. Also no medbay in the trading station. I had to go to dinner during this third try, but between that and the hypothermia I get from going outside, I can't keep my fatigue up, so I expect I will be starving to death as soon as I log back in. <logs back in> Yup! Dead.
4th attempt - Pick up my backpack, reclaiming my survival tool and the two logs I've harvested. Go out the back door, find the Settlement right behind the post...it has medbays. NOW you tell me...

--Patrick

5th attempt - Couldn't finish freezing to death because a drone blew me up.

Soooo...how do you delete your player file and pick a new starting planet on a public server? There's no option at the death screen.

EDIT: Nevermind, managed to land without dying this time, so there's actually stuff in my inventory now.

--Patrick

Last edited:
6th attempt - My heater vanished while placing it, probably fell through the world. While building another one, died in hailstorm. Took longer this time, though.
7th attempt - died in hail again before even touching down.
8th attempt - broken leg while in the escape pod. Between that and the hail, died in under 10 seconds.
9th attempt - Same-leg+hail=dead in seconds.
10th attempt - Leg+hail again.
11th attempt - Leg+hail. I keep spawning with an interior ship view, have to press V to get the usual steer your pod view, but if you spawn in "cockpit" view you immediately fall and break your leg while in the capsule, and then the hail finishes you off.
12th attempt - leg+hail
Sure am getting a lot of the planet mapped, though.
13th attempt - see previous attempts.
14th attempt - respawned in station, immediately broke leg. Walked outside, drone still waiting there from #5, killed me.
15th attempt - Landed safely! It begins again.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
5th attempt - Couldn't finish freezing to death because a drone blew me up.

Soooo...how do you delete your player file and pick a new starting planet on a public server? There's no option at the death screen.

EDIT: Nevermind, managed to land without dying this time, so there's actually stuff in my inventory now.

--Patrick
cb:? for commands. The one to wipe and restart on a new planet is cb:restart I believe.

Ah well that would be why I couldn't do it myself.
I kept typing CB:? just like the docs say and getting "unknown command" instead of cb:? because apparently case matters BUT not enough to actually document the proper case to use.

--Patrick

Completely forgot how to make money in this game, and so almost died at one point because I powered my ship off when I went into the space station, and when I came back out I almost froze to death waiting for it to warm back up because I hadn't bought/crafted an EVA boost yet to slot into my armor.
But then I remembered! And now I have heavy armor and all kinds of boosts, and my (albeit tiny) base is cranking out the parts I will need to travel the stars. Now I just need to go through my old drive to see if I can find any of my old blueprints because apparently Steam didn't bother to cloud save them grr...

Also just an advisory: The Ascalon Nibiru T1 Hoverbike (L1) is cheap and easy to build, but you will need to remove the roof as soon as you spawn it, because the collision between the player/bike models that happens when you exit the cockpit will throw either you or the bike some distance, potentially injuring you or losing the bike. On top of that, it is absolute agony to control it properly. It flies almost like a moped with a JATO welded onto it...which is to say that it is useful, but controlling it is an issue.

--Patrick

I can now officially live in space. I've updated my vagabond CV* to be even smaller than before while still containing all the essentials**. It doesn't quite have the runtime of GB's EMB, though, so in order to conserve power after I disassembled my starter base ("take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints," and all that), I parked it over by the trading post and powered it down when I logged off.

...I forgot about the fridge. Sooo much spoiled food. :rage::wololo:

--Patrick
*My version of the @GasBandit "Efficient MobileBase"
**EDIT: I need to do like Gas did and make a lower-level, upgradable version so I can go to space sooner next time without waiting until lvl 20. Should be able to do it as early as lvl 10 that way, or even lvl 7 if you're okay lifting off before hitting warp capability.

Last edited:
I am declaring war on the Zirax. Twice now, they have snuck up on me after I removed my headphones and so couldn't hear them shooting at me.

The first time, I was calmly mining an asteroid when I got attacked by a few drones. I could't get my cannon to turn on because apparently when I rearranged my devices I forgot to hook the switch back up to activate them, and so I just sat dead while my ship got lasered to bits. Fortunately I had a small SV fighter docked to the side of my CV which I hopped into and drove them off. They hated me more afterwards, but it was worth it. Only lost fuel tanks and my warp drive, but the biggest loss was my entire fridge. Fortunately my cargo box still had the bits from when I broke down my base, so that let me rebuild my CV once I got the pieces reassembled. This also gave me the incentive to finally upgrade my CV to combat steel.

The second time, I was just sitting at a Polaris base, refueling, when I started getting missiled by a Zirax CV. They must've gotten word of the last attack, because the first explosions destroyed the SV I had docked, and the next ones took out my cargo box. My T3 auto-miners were in there! Along with my water extractors, my spare parts, and a bunch of other components I was going to feed to the factory to make my base build faster. And now it's ON. I wanted to do my usual of bringing my reputation up to "honored" with every faction, and I still plan to, but before I finally befriend the Zirax, they are going to have to bleed a little.

--Patrick

Holy bejeezus when did CV detectors become such an immense energy suck? And you can't turn 'em off?
So be it, I'll just multi-tool it every time I park.

--Patrick

320 PU?
Oh you sweet summer child.
Hey don't give me that. I'm still exploring, haven't built anything large yet (nor have I built a base in empty space OR even a "perfectly safe" Cessna plane), and so I'm still focusing on economy. I'll design some bases and set up the teleport network once I've decided where I want to teleport from/to, but for now I'm touring the galaxy in a warp-capable CV (EDIT: Which I still need to tweak some more) carrying 8 cannon, 8 sentry turrets, 9 growing plots, and 4 drills that's only 10x7x5 (when retracted). For me, 320PU is the difference between 30hrs of unattended fridge time and 70hrs unattended fridge time.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Sounds like somebody just needs another T3 fuel tank.

(nor have I built a base in empty space OR even a "perfectly safe" Cessna plane)
Well, SOMEBODY's been nosing around, huh? :p

The "Perfectly Safe" was rechristened for the second time by me, after Emrys had previously re-christened it the "Death Trap."

Sounds like somebody just needs another T3 fuel tank.
Two’s plenty for right now, and even that’s one too many. I tacked on an extra one here in the cabin with me for the extra runtime, but once I establish a permanent base somewhere, it’ll probably go back to one. This CV’s really just supposed to be a camper, not a mobile home.
Well, SOMEBODY's been nosing around, huh? :p
I thought about leaving a “gift” at your space base, but since it was in PvP space and I was still smarting from the Zirax attacks, I didn’t want to risk it. ;)

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
So I built my first base using this build. But I can't seem to get the capacitor to fill up. What am I doing wrong? And yes, I hit the "P" button and turned everything off.

Well, you have to have solar panels, for one. The page doesn't show the build coming with them.
The other is that you have to turn the power on for them to fill up. The power button isn't really "on/off" so much as "power is/is not allowed to flow." If you want the capacitor to fill up faster, you will have to turn off nonessential devices individually using the "Devices" tab.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
We've taken it to IMs, but my initial rebuttal was...

5 solar panels come with it and the power is on. I'm not a complete idiot.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've found that solar panels on planetside are kinda buggy still. Half the time when I left my base for any amount of time, my fuel tanks still drained despite the "average power" rating of the solar panels being higher than the amount of power my base was using at idle. At first I thought it had something to do with whether the base despawned or respawned at night instead of day, but I can't reliably reproduce it.

They seem to work better in space though.

Dave

Staff member
So I now have promethium (yay) so fuck the solar panels for now. I've researched the drill so I can mine faster, but I can't seem to find where I need to build it. I don't see it in any of the constructors, even if I search "dril" and cycle through all items.

What am I missing?

You‘re just supposed to somehow KNOW that crafting templates that don’t show up in your constructor means you need the next level up of constructor.
Survival -> Small -> Large -> Advanced
Also, I think drills require neodymium now, which suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Everything good needs neodymium now, which gates off a lot of content until you either make some serious money or else achieve orbit to go after the asteroids.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Weird. The wiki said you could make them in the smaller and even the portable constructor. I assume the wiki is out of date?

For a while I just thought you straight up couldn’t make them in constructors and were forced to buy them from merchants (since there’s no T2 drill any more), but then I noticed a bunch more was missing (like the ability to refine pentaxid, for instance) and figured out I just needed a different constructor.
Sure wish it would just always show everything but with the stuff you can’t make in red with “you need an advanced constructor for this” or something.

—Patrick