Harry Potter 6: Half-Blood Prince (film) (SPOILERS AHOY!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Le Quack

When Ronald McDonald asked Snape if he believes in magic, Snape said Avadra Kedavra and killed Dumbledore.

S

Steven Soderburgin

So how long would you say I can ignore this thread before I should check to see if there is actual discussion happening again?

Snape kidnapped the Lindbergh baby.

-- Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:33 pm --

Snape stole Kissinger's sense of humor.

(Check back after the movie opens.)

L

Le Quack

When asked to comment on the Rock band Heart's song Magic Man, Snape said "Avadra Kedavra" and killed Dumbledore.

Snape keeps feeding the same line to Le Quack, only changing the words slightly.

-- Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:36 pm --

Snape killed foot fungus using Tough actin' Tenactin.

L

Le Quack

When Ed's wife asked Snape if the night was as magical for him as it was for her, Snape said "Avadra Kedavra" and killed Dumbledore.

Snape made a rock too heavy for Dumbledore to lift, and he died of shame.

-- Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:40 pm --

Snape sold Rodimus Prime on the sub-prime market.

Snape carved out Dumbledore's heart...with a spoon

Snape thinks that nothing's funnier than the faces people make mid-coitus.

Kissinger said:
So how long would you say I can ignore this thread before I should check to see if there is actual discussion happening again?
I'm still waiting for that Terminator 2 thread to get back on topic.

Welcome to Halforum, enjoy your stay.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/harry-po ... nce,30368/

AV Club said:
The sixth Harry Potter movie is essentially a film in limbo. It begins with a wordless shot of Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) still reeling in emotional agony from the events of the last movie, and ends on a miserable moment with no sense of hope, or of a plan for the future. Those two anguished sequences set the tone for a fantasy-franchise installment that’s more about atmosphere than story; between them, many things happen, but only the last 20 minutes or so have real repercussions. The rest is buildup, backstory, and plot sidebars signifying nothing, but it’s mighty artful nothing, in which beautifully designed and composed shots and a relentlessly ominous mood give a surprising weight to adolescent love affairs and an exceedingly minor mystery.

To the degree that Half-Blood Prince has a plot rather than a series of milestones in the vast, eight-film arc set to conclude in 2011 (the last book will be split into two films), it revolves around teen wizard Harry Potter trying to pry key information about his evil arch-nemesis Voldemort out of meek, self-serving magic teacher Jim Broadbent. Simultaneously, Harry tries to deduce the identity of “the half-blood prince” who used to own his old textbook, and various romantic developments absorb his friends Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. Familiar characters pop in and out for cameos, and the film even finds time for Quidditch, though director David Yates (who helmed the last series installment, and will tackle the last two as well) finds ways to make even a silly made-up sport played on flying broomsticks look grim and melancholy.

But the film’s real focus is on the evolving sense of dread taking over Harry’s world, for reasons barely seen at all in the film. And all this creeps forward at a remarkably unhurried, deliberate pace, the antithesis of the series’ opening films, with their giddy roller-coaster feel and “Whee! Magic!” theme. It takes a significant amount of investment in the Harry Potter world to make Half-Blood Prince relevant, let alone sensible; the film makes no concession to newbies, and thankfully spends virtually no time reiterating points already covered in previous installments. But those already involved will find that the series has matured much as the books did. This is the darkest, saddest, most sophisticated Harry Potter film yet.

S

SeraRelm

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4:11jv3y7d][/youtube:11jv3y7d]

Well I'm glad I went and got my tickets at 6pm. They had, at that point, 7 theaters for Harry Potter and 6 were sold out. I'm sure they were opening more as the evening wore on, but unfortunately I'm stuck in one of the smaller theaters.

Which is ok, since I'll likely see it again when it comes out in IMAX.

Still, I'm just now finding out that people were buying their tickets weeks ago.

Given that the theater has 20 screens, and probably half will be showing it, then there's going to be nearly 2,000 Harry Potter fans in the theater, and perhaps many of them are already there.

The other Ann arbor theater has 5 screens of it, and they appear to be sold out.

It's going to be fun!

-Adam

Here's my HP6 review. It might be shorter than normal because I'm a hurting unit right now. The movie got over at 2:45, I got home at 3:05 and the alarm clock went off at 6:30. Yay, me!

I bought my tickets at 6:00 and found out that they had it playing in 9 theaters, 7 of which were already sold out. Because of this I determined to get there fairly early - 9:00 - and make sure that I could get a fairly decent seat. We got there at 9:00 and were told that the theater was already seating. Fuck. I looked around at the massive lines and just knew that we were going to be in the nosebleeds. As it turns out they'd opened a couple of theaters that did not have lines and we got the best damned seats in the house. Then we had to fight people away from the ones we had saved. Then the freaks showed up. Oi. Some people can SAY they are Harry Potter characters, but Hermione Granger is not a 200 pound Samoan girl.

Anyway, the movie starts right where the last leaves off and goes right into it without bothering to do any exposition about the characters, their motivation or anything like that that had been done in the past. They finally figured out that we probably already know what's going on.

The movie is not that fast paced and is more of a build-up to the last movie(s) than anything, but they managed a few chaotic scenes of conflict that were pretty cool. There are a few differences in the movie, most notably the lack of a Dumbledore funeral. I wish they'd have kept that in because Harry's reactions and confrontation with the Minister of Magic.

In the end it was worth it, but it was much more of a lead in for the next movies than it was a stand-alone tour de force.

As a stand alone movie I give it *** 1/2 out of *****

As the stepping stone to the next movie I give it ***** out of *****

If i wanted a rview that's more then one paragraph i would have googled it... or read the previous posts...

Good / Bad... k 10x.

I'm spoiler marking things that are specific to the movie that you would not know even if you had read the book. If you've read the book you can safely read the non-spoiler marked parts without worrying about seeing something you don't already know. In other words I'll point out things that are in the book that aren't in the movie (or are) but I'll spoiler mark something if it's not in the book, or different.

Bad:

Pacing was off around some funny parts:

1. Make audience laugh
2. Wait until they stop laughing
3. Make the characters talk again

They skipped step 2 at least two times I recall where some dialogue was missed because we were still laughing over the last little bit of teh funneh.

No funeral for Dumbledore. They may have left it out so they can put it in the beginning of the next one and have a seamless tie-in, like they did between the previous movie and this movie. You literally can watch the previous movie and then this one immediately and feel like it's just "the next scene" of the same work. Either way, the funeral in the book made a big impact for many. [spoiler:3ko0js2b]In the movie we merely see the three of them coming to terms with this loss while they watch the phoenix fly into the sunset.[/spoiler:3ko0js2b]

Meh:

I recall in the book Snape advising Potter (after soundly beating him, but letting him live) to learn to cast without talking, and that line wasn't in the movie. My wife thought it was a very important line and really disliked that it wasn't there. There wasn't as much fighting at the end as there was in the book - the death eaters clearly had a chance in the movie to carry potter off to their Lord, but they didn't (in the book there were enough other people coming after the fight that they really didn't have time).

They changed the death scene in ways that some would find significant. [spoiler:3ko0js2b]In the book Dumbledore stupefies Harry to prevent him from interfering with his death, and Snape is not aware of Potter's presence. In the movie Dumbledore merely makes Harry promise to hide and do nothing, and Snape passes by Harry knowing that he's there (in fact telling Harry to keep quiet).[/spoiler:3ko0js2b] It changes the feeling of the scene to some degree, but I still place it in the "It's not better or worse than the original telling, just different"

Good:

The left the horcruxes in. For some reason earlier reviews led me to believe they left them out, but they're there.

The cave scene was awesome, and serves to remind one of the power of Dumbledore, and the weakness and sometimes poor judgment of Harry. There aren't many scenes in the books or movies where you really get to see just what Dumbledore is capable of.

Lots of laughing. The characters had an interesting emotional range they had to play through that wasn't required in the earlier movies. This movie feels like the calm before the storm. It starts sad and ends sad, and there's important plot moving material in the middle, but largely it's just teenage life and love. They've established the relationships that will carry through the next two movies, shown the strengths and weaknesses of certain characters, and overall it's a good setup for what's to come. In and of itself, the movie is not exceptional, and cannot stand alone. It's a bridge - a good bridge - but at the end it's really just a bridge to set up the next piece.

-Adam

S

Steven Soderburgin

stienman said:
1. Make audience laugh

They skipped step 2 at least two times I recall where some dialogue was missed because we were still laughing over the last little bit of teh funneh.
so you want sitcom pacing in your movie?

EDIT: Like, characters just standing around awkwardly while they wait for everyone to stop laughing?

Kissinger said:
stienman said:
1. Make audience laugh

so you want sitcom pacing in your movie?

EDIT: Like, characters just standing around awkwardly while they wait for everyone to stop laughing?
I'm reasonably certain there's a happy medium between "funny scene and more dialogue immediately" and "funny scene ... pause ... more dialogue" There's absolutely never any need to 'stand around awkwardly' - that's just poor scripting/acting. Natural pauses can be built into most work.

But I'm sure you know a lot more about this than I, so perhaps there is no middle ground.

-Adam

S

Steven Soderburgin

stienman said:
I'm reasonably certain there's a happy medium between "funny scene and more dialogue immediately" and "funny scene ... pause ... more dialogue" There's absolutely never any need to 'stand around awkwardly' - that's just poor scripting/acting. Natural pauses can be built into most work.

But I'm sure you know a lot more about this than I, so perhaps there is no middle ground.
Well, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know how they handle it. It could be that the way the comedic scenes were written, directed, acted, and edited made them a bit awkward. When I see it, I'll get back to you on this.

I just read this thread... the Allen/Ed going back and forth of faux spoilers was awesomely hilarious.

Finding out Cuyval Dar went out to spoil with a megaphone didn't surprise me.

Seriously, idiot, remove my name from your signature. I want nothing to do with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.