Harry Potter 6: Half-Blood Prince (film) (SPOILERS AHOY!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry Potter: Half-Blood Prince (film, SPOILERS MARKED)

Cajungal said:
I don't care to read the Harry Potter books. I read the first few chapters of one, and that was just to appease the people who wouldn't stop bothering me about them. The movies are fun, though. And this one coming up looks way better than the last one was.
No kidding. I got books shoved at me when I told friends that I haven't read them. They're kids books for Pete's sake!!! What's the big flippin' deal?! I read the first, and it was a book for kids. Poor writing. Lame story. Bad dialogue. I don't understand all these adults that are crazy for these books. If you grew up reading them that's one thing, but otherwise go beyond the kid's section next time you're in Barnes and Noble.

I agree that the movies are fun, but they're not all that great either.

I will be seeing this w/ my gf, who is an avid fan. :facepalm:

I'm in the same boat, never read the books, not worried about it. I think the movies are great so far, though, and will hopefully see this one sometime next week.

Cajungal

Staff member

drawn_inward said:
Cajungal said:
I don't care to read the Harry Potter books. I read the first few chapters of one, and that was just to appease the people who wouldn't stop bothering me about them. The movies are fun, though. And this one coming up looks way better than the last one was.
No kidding. I got books shoved at me when I told friends that I haven't read them. They're kids books for Pete's sake!!! What's the big flippin' deal?! I read the first, and it was a book for kids. Poor writing. Lame story. Bad dialogue. I don't understand all these adults that are crazy for these books. If you grew up reading them that's one thing, but otherwise go beyond the kid's section next time you're in Barnes and Noble.

Yeah that last movie was no fun for me at all. Maybe if I had been into the books I would have liked it more?

I don't know how to say this without coming off as a snob, so I just will: I love watching dumb movies. I listen to music that's probably not artful. But when it comes to what I read, there are so many interesting books out there that have changed the world of literature and how people think about it. I know I'll never read ALL of them... but I'd prefer to read those (and the simpler things that I just adore for personal reasons) than read Harry Potter. It just feels like a waste of time. I'm sure they're not horrible, but I'm not interested at all.

Like I said in the TF2 thread (if anyone remembers) almost everyone is picky about at least one entertainment/art medium, and I'm picky about what I spend my free time reading.

Cajungal said:
Like I said in the TF2 thread (if anyone remembers) almost everyone is picky about at least one entertainment/art medium, and I'm picky about what I spend my free time reading.
CG, I am picky about EVERYTHING. Food, movies, tv, books, etc. I have an opinion on just about everything. My gf calls me, "Your highness" when I say something picky. I can't help it. :D

L

Le Quack

drawn_inward said:
Cajungal said:

I still watch cartoons that I didn't grow up with.

Le Quack said:
I still watch cartoons that I didn't grow up with.
I grew up on the Flintstones yet love to watch Chaotic. :tongue:

Le Quack said:
[quote="drawn_inward":3soqfgur]
Cajungal said:

I don't know why Harry Potter is different for me. I just don't like it. I like all kinds of other fantasy books, but not those. Maybe b/c of all the hype.

I still watch cartoons that I didn't grow up with.[/quote:3soqfgur]

Weird. My post was missing or something.

Anyway, what I wrote was that I also watch some "kid stuff." I still like comic books. I don't know why Harry Potter is different. I just don't like the writing. Maybe b/c of all the hype.

Transformers didn't open in the middle of the week either, did it? I mean.. if you want to break an opening day record opening on a friggin Wednesday isn't the way to do it.

Calleja said:
Transformers didn't open in the middle of the week either, did it? I mean.. if you want to break an opening day record opening on a friggin Wednesday isn't the way to do it.
It did. At least in the States.

Yeah, they opened on wed.

The reason Potter came in a few million behind?
It was missing the ever so thoughtful dollars of the Frat crowd. Had it displayed more tits or less story it could have filled the parking lot with jeeps and hummers.

Espy said:

It was missing the ever so thoughtful dollars of the Frat crowd. Had it displayed more tits or less story it could have filled the parking lot with jeeps and hummers.
Actually I think it's because it wasn't in IMAX which ads a few bucks per ticket. I'm still fairly confident it'll outdo Transformers long-term. There is really nothing in the horizon that's gonna take out a big chunk.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Espy said:

It was missing the ever so thoughtful dollars of the Frat crowd. Had it displayed more * or less story it could have filled the parking lot with jeeps and hummers.
Actually I think it's because it wasn't in IMAX which ads a few bucks per ticket. I'm still fairly confident it'll outdo Transformers long-term. There is really nothing in the horizon that's gonna take out a big chunk.
No, no. It's the "Bro" demographic. When confronted with story and lack of explosions they retreat into their apartments to play Halo and high five each other.

A

Aisaku

I'm back from watching the movie. I think I may be the complete opposite of people here, I read all the books but stayed away from the movies until now. It was great. Yep everything's slimmed down to a handful key events and yet all of them weave together so those who haven't read the books will still enjoy it. Everything's darker than I imagined, still the atmosphere's great.

Just a question. For some reason they sold the tickets as if the movie was in imax/3d... Is the movie really in either of those formats?

Ok: Quick review.

I really liked it. I can't wait to see it again. Mainly because it was a spectacle on opening night, and I want to be able to just take it as it is, in the flow of the other movies and with the anticipation of the finale.

So: I thought it was a strong entry into the series, not the strongest, it's a middle movie in many ways. It needs the previous movies and it desperately needs the final 2 movies to give it the context it needs. It's a so-so stand alone film, the cared not for those who haven't been keeping up with the series, which I think was a good call.
I had one problem: The end lacked impact (maybe I will feel differently upon the second viewing, we shall see) in some ways. It didn't give us the emotional impact I expected. Although on reflection the film was hilarious, everyone was laughing and just kind of riding this roller-coaster... and then the end happened and everyone kind of just got up and left, quietly. Almost stunned. Which I guess... was kind of where the kids where at in the movie so... maybe it was a good move.

Potter may not have taken the 1 day record in the states, but it sure took it worldwide. 104 million on Wednesday.

S

SeraRelm

Ok, not really a spoiler, but with the slow motion falling, did anyone else sort of think "Hans Gruber's revenge!" when Snape did his thing near the end?

SeraRelm said:
Ok, not really a spoiler, but with the slow motion falling, did anyone else sort of think "Hans Gruber's revenge!" when Snape did his thing near the end?
OMG THANK YOU!!! It was almost shot for shot! The only thing missing was the gun and the watch! I said something at the theater and almost had a nerd revolt.

I'd like to say no, Charlie, but I did blurt something out. When it was happening I think I said something like, "Hey! That's the fall from Die Hard!"

:whistling:

Charlie Dont Surf said:
That's not nerd rage, man, that's common decency rage :facepalm: during the emotional climax of the movie? Yeah, uh. I'll take the nerd rage side here :blue:
I almost feel bad. Almost. I'm not going to justify and say that they were talking during the movie - they weren't. But they'd both read the books and knew what was happening so I didn't "ruin the moment" per se. And I didn't yell it out - I turned to my son & said it.

But yeah, I did blurt it out.

Cajungal

Staff member
Ah well, what's done is done. The hardcore Potter fans are going to see the movie 3-8 times in theaters anyway.

Not everyone has read the books at all(this guy)! I mean, I don't think you're a terrible person for it, I'm just kind of a stickler against talking in the movies period.

C

Chazwozel

Espy said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Espy said:

It was missing the ever so thoughtful dollars of the Frat crowd. Had it displayed more * or less story it could have filled the parking lot with jeeps and hummers.
No, no. It's the "Bro" demographic. When confronted with story and lack of explosions they retreat into their apartments to play Halo and high five each other.

Dude, did a Frat house kill your mom or something?

Cajungal said:
A frat house barked at me once. :bush:
Don't worry Cajungal, they're more afraid of you than you are of them. Just throw a little red meat at them and they'll love you forever.

Cajungal

Staff member
Krisken said:
Cajungal said:
A frat house barked at me once. :bush:
Don't worry Cajungal, they're more afraid of you than you are of them. Just throw a little red meat at them and they'll love you forever.
:rofl:
Sit boy. SIT! See that philosophy professor with the bald head and the ponytail? SIC EM!

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Not everyone has read the books at all(this guy)! I mean, I don't think you're a terrible person for it, I'm just kind of a stickler against talking in the movies period.
I'd been talking with these guys for three hours while we were waiting for the movie to start. Before it all began we'd discussed a lot of stuff.

S

SeraRelm

THREE HOURS!?

I went to see it about 10 minutes before start and got a nice mostly empty theater. I do not envy your theater location.

SeraRelm said:
THREE HOURS!?

I went to see it about 10 minutes before start and got a nice mostly empty theater. I do not envy your theater location.
I did the midnight movie thing. There were 9 sold out screens showing it.

C

Chazwozel

I just saw it to day.

It was a big meh.

Kinda boring really. Only good parts were of Ron being king pimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.