I am sorry

I just want to remind everyone that prior to this incident, there were issues with him showing signs of some sort of mental issue that is not common of standard depression, such as auditory hallucinations. This may not have been even an issue of choice on his part, just a result of an untreated mental condition. I really hope he gets the help that he needs and comes back with some effective treatment.

I am in awe at the strength and humanity on display by this community right now. I'm absolutely serious, I'm all choked up. I'm immensely proud to call myself a Halforumite.

Leigh, I know you don't know me from Adam, but I'm damn glad you're still with us. And if you're ever in Ottawa, drop me a line and I'll buy you all the TimBits you can eat, buddy.

No one should feel bad for not being involved. The people who were sprang into action within minutes, and everything took place over the course of two hours. If anything, let's all be glad those people were there. It's scary how close and far we can come from things turning out worse by just timing alone.

You and I never talked a ton when I was really active here, but your posts often entertain me and I seriously think you have one of the best usernames on the internet.

You seem like a really, genuinely good person, and I am so sorry that life is treating you like shit right now. Please know that you are loved by many people and respected by even more. You have lots and lots of people -- myself included -- who are very glad you are still with us and are in your corner wishing you a speedy recovery. I hope someday you and I can meet up at a HF event and get scotch drunk together :)

Has anyone heard any updates on him since he was brought to the hospital? I'm sure - or at least hope - we'll hear from him personally at some point.

Oh, I know. They not even remotely required to give us any kind of update and I don't expect them to. It'd still be nice to know how he's doing, though, you know?
We'll find out when he posts, once the embarrassment wears off.
Yes, Chad, it's ok for you to post here again. You'll find we're supportive.

If you decide never to post here again, we'll support that as well, we just won't enjoy it as much.[DOUBLEPOST=1409330643,1409330595][/DOUBLEPOST]
Y'all do know that patient ID/location information is publicly available right? (I used to work in hospitals.)
No, we didn't, because Canada.
Over here, we have HIPAA, which basically says that if you tell anyone (other than the Government) about a patient or patient's info (including their room/phone number), your life will be ruined.

--Patrick

Last edited:
... that's some scary shit right there.
In every hospital/health region I've worked for up here (that covers about a dozen hospitals in half the provinces), if you know the name of the person you're looking for, you can get their room number. Unless they requested to not be listed (which you can do upon admission or at any time during your stay). If you have a name and room number and sound like you're entitled to information, you can get some status information if you call the unit. *shrug* Not many people use this though, and only ever go to patient information if they're looking for a family member post-surgery or post-birth.

I'm now really curious if it works the same in the States. I would bet it does, but I may well be wrong.

EDIT: Canada has a HIPAA equivalent too (more than one IIRC), but it's medical record specific. Your presense (or not) in hospital doesn't fall under it, only clinical records.

And with that aside, we return to the previous topic at hand.

Chad/Leigh, I know you won't read this until you're better and I know you will be but know that many of us have been there, as you can see from this amazing thread and your own original post: There are people who love you here.

Genuinely love you. Not those who feel they have to be around you, or those using you for their own means, but real genuine love. If you feel weak, it can give you strength. Know this. If you feel like you are alone, it is how you know you're not. Know this. If you feel like you can't recover from where you've gone, it can be the shoulder you hold as you walk again. Know this.

I know I've been gone for a while, but there was a time you were a part of my daily life and I hopefully was a part of yours. I know, without a doubt you will grow from here, and be an even more amazing person than you were before and if my words have any meaning, that's saying something.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Holy shit.[DOUBLEPOST=1409335976,1409335945][/DOUBLEPOST]Hey, Shegs, tell that brother of yours to come back!

In my experience once you ask for the room number, they ask your relationship. Policy varies from hospital to hospital, but HIPAA doesn't prevent people from finding out which hospital someone is in, but most hospitals are very cautious about releasing information except to near kin.

GasBandit

Staff member
In my experience once you ask for the room number, they ask your relationship. Policy varies from hospital to hospital, but HIPAA doesn't prevent people from finding out which hospital someone is in, but most hospitals are very cautious about releasing information except to near kin.
Calling is another thing, too.. I was left with the impression from Dirona's post that she was able to just look up the last time Chad pooped on a website.

I've undergone HIPPA(Health Information Privacy and Portability Act, in case anyone didn't know) training multiple times as I worked in medical billing for 7 years. While it may be technically possible to get this information in the US by the strictest wording of HIPPA, most hospitals train to not release any information at all, even admit status. Under HIPPA in the US, even the info the Diorana just shared about Chad's status would fall under violation of the act.[DOUBLEPOST=1409337154,1409336835][/DOUBLEPOST]So, I guess I'm saying that I'm glad he's Canadian.

@Bones - The strange coincidence is that I had business in Houston so I stopped by to stay with my brother for the weekend and I was informed by a very good friend of what had happened. Right place wrong time I suppose.

@Dave - I dunno about him coming back, he's been pretty put off by what happened (the Jay debacle) and while on his break realized his toxic behavior (his own words) and feels it might have stemmed from being on here too much and the dealings he had with some individuals on a daily basis. I on the other hand did some lurking while back home but didn't post sadly.

@bhamv3 - I won't talk about the positive things in my life in this thread but I might take some time to resurface my previous thread and continue talking there. Good to see you too though.

Hey guys, this is Leigh's brother. My family and I can never thank you all enough for what you did for Leigh yesterday. With absolute certainty, you saved his life. I spent the day with him yesterday and I am going to see him again shortly, I will let him know about all of the support on here. Unfortunately it will probably be quite a while before Leigh will be able to access the internet and post again/read these, but I will be sure to let him know, or I will print this out or something.

It is amazing to know that when we can't always be there when Leigh needs us, and we live so close, that you guys can and will be. Again, thank you from my whole family, we are forever in your debt.

-Sam

GasBandit

Staff member
Hey guys, this is Leigh's brother. My family and I can never thank you all enough for what you did for Leigh yesterday. With absolute certainty, you saved his life. I spent the day with him yesterday and I am going to see him again shortly, I will let him know about all of the support on here. Unfortunately it will probably be quite a while before Leigh will be able to access the internet and post again/read these, but I will be sure to let him know, or I will print this out or something.

It is amazing to know that when we can't always be there when Leigh needs us, and we live so close, that you guys can and will be. Again, thank you from my whole family, we are forever in your debt.

-Sam
Give your brother all our best, and let him know we're all pulling for him.

Thank you for coming on here to let us know.

We all love your brother so much and I'm glad you get to spend time with him. :heart: Wish him well from us all!

Thank you for coming here, Sam. We love your brother and understand he might not be around for a while. I'm looking forward to the day when he does come back to our online family. Until then, I'll be thinking of him.

Thank you for the giving us an update, please let your brother know that we really do care for him and are all rooting for him.

@Shegokigo, I am glad to see that you are still alive and kicking and I hope you are doing splendidly! :)

Last edited:

-Sam
Thank you for the update. If he feels up for receiving letters through the mail, I'd really like to send one. If he just needs time to recover though, I understand.