[Movies] Iron Man 3 Panel Comicon (could be spoilers, your risk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
I intensely disliked the final fight.
All these autonomous suits flying around and each one able to suddenly be in position to fit Tony in. Not to mention they got from Los Angeles to Miami is about 5 minutes. And when Pepper Potts gets magical restorative abilities and reflexes also somehow learns to fight, do judo and fire the hand weapon she was unable to earlier in the movie - both times under duress.

So yeah, I thought it was a cheesy clusterfuck.
I disagree, mostly about...

Pepper Potts. Have you seen the shape she's in? She didn't get that way being idle, and being tied to Tony Stark for so long, she probably started taking martial arts classes a long time ago, to feel safer. The restorative abilities and heightened reflexes are part of the extremis project, you know, the stuff the villain injected her with so that he could hold Tony over a barrel? That didn't come out of nowhere, it was part of the plot of the movie! Also, I'm pretty sure Pepper couldn't fire the weapon earlier because it was a different suit, the one linked to Tony's implanted controls.

As for LA to Miami in 5 minutes... blame that on imperfect storytelling. My impression was that this was all being set up over the course of many hours, and that a lot of the shots of remote locations were actually flash-backs.

Jarvis was just a little too capable in orchestrating the suits into position to help Tony, even if that were his primary objective it still stretches the limits of believability. I'm letting it slide because it's just so awesome to watch, but I can also see that it doesn't really make sense.

I disagree, mostly about...

Pepper Potts. Have you seen the shape she's in? She didn't get that way being idle, and being tied to Tony Stark for so long, she probably started taking martial arts classes a long time ago, to feel safer. The restorative abilities and heightened reflexes are part of the extremis project, you know, the stuff the villain injected her with so that he could hold Tony over a barrel? That didn't come out of nowhere, it was part of the plot of the movie! Also, I'm pretty sure Pepper couldn't fire the weapon earlier because it was a different suit, the one linked to Tony's implanted controls.

As for LA to Miami in 5 minutes... blame that on imperfect storytelling. My impression was that this was all being set up over the course of many hours, and that a lot of the shots of remote locations were actually flash-backs.

Jarvis was just a little too capable in orchestrating the suits into position to help Tony, even if that were his primary objective it still stretches the limits of believability. I'm letting it slide because it's just so awesome to watch, but I can also see that it doesn't really make sense.
There were huge amounts of time in the fight with Killian where the suits were no where to be found. Killian probably could have tried his firebreath when dealing with Tony too.

Is the power level that the extremis infected are displaying on par with what's in the comics? It seems... over the top to be honest (and yes I realize this is a comic world filled with norse gods, magic, mutants, fantastic technology and the like... there's just something that bugged me about how insanely powerful the virus made people).

Is the power level that the extremis infected are displaying on par with what's in the comics? It seems... over the top to be honest (and yes I realize this is a comic world filled with norse gods, magic, mutants, fantastic technology and the like... there's just something that bugged me about how insanely powerful the virus made people).
If I remember correctly, in the comics the extremis virus did make people powered to the point where none of Tony's Iron Man armor could stand up to it, which is why (double spoilers for the comic
Tony went through the Extremis process himself

Incidentally, this was EXACTLY what I disliked about this movie; particularly the final fight (mild nerd rage ahead).
It committed, what I feel, are two of the gravest comics storytelling sins: overly convenient plot devices (Oh no, this suit of armor can't fly DESPITE THE FACT EVERY OTHER ONE, INCLUDING THE PROTOTYPE, COULD and it's conveniently going to take too long to switch power to flight to catch up to the helicopter! Oh no, an Extremis guy heats up my armor's wrist and I suddenly lose all power!) and wild swings in power level with no explanation. The Extremis soldiers can heat themselves up to a really high temperature and cleave through any of the armors like they're paper? I would have been okay with this if he hadn't gone toe-to-toe with Thor (nearly as strong as the Hulk in these movies) and his lightning bolts and emerged relatively unscathed in Mark 7 armor, when he'd been concerned about being able to protect Pepper and had built a further 35 iterations of armor.

It just felt like a video game boss battle. Everybody else was a challenge, then the last guy ratcheted it up to unbelievable levels; it was like the director was yelling LOOK HOW OP THIS GUY IS. /rant.

The infected in the comic made the ones in the movie look like pussies.

That description sounds as bland and cookie-cutter as it can get. If it weren't for Gregg and Whedon being involved I would probably skip it. Here's hoping it rises above the mediocre sounding premise.

Saw the movie. Thought it was pretty great. More detail below.

Best stuff:
- More humor and most of it was good. The bit between Tony and The Kid at the car was great.
- Liked that most of the suits were ones that I could identify from the comics. Loved that the Hulkbuster made the cut.
- Lots of subtle stuff with Happy, though I wish he'd been in more of the movie.
- Stinger scene was pretty funny.

Worst stuff:
- Tony killed a SHIT TON of people in this movie. Like at least 30-40 at the very least, not getting into the people he took out with the army of Iron Man suits. I don't think he killed ANYONE in the last one except maybe Whiplash and the ones he killed in the first one were a bit more understandable. This is a superhero movie... your not supposed to gun everyone down.
- Why did we not see the Vice President get arrested? Are we just going to ignore that?

I'm pretty sure they did show that. It was VERY brief, but I'm fairly certain they showed him being taken away in cuffs near the end.
Maybe. I literally ran to the bathroom right after the big fight and got back within 2 minutes, so I might have missed that bit.

Tony killed a SHIT TON of people in this movie. Like at least 30-40 at the very least, not getting into the people he took out with the army of Iron Man suits. I don't think he killed ANYONE in the last one except maybe Whiplash and the ones he killed in the first one were a bit more understandable. This is a superhero movie... your not supposed to gun everyone down.
I have yet to see the movie, but I wanted to talk about this comment.

Don't mix up Tony's ethics with other heroes like Superman or Batman, Tony spent a good chunk of his life selling military hardware for the purpose of murdering people. Even after the whole "cave" event, he was not so much shaken that his weapons were killing people, he was shaken that his weapons were killing the WRONG people. For example, in the first movie when he escaped said cave, he killed an entire force of terrorists, many dying a very violent, fiery death to his wrist mounted flamethrowers.

Later on, when he saw his weapons once again in the wrong hands, he proceeded to murder yet another force, kill a bunch of terrorists, crack a few guys chest cavities open as he punches or repulsors them 200 feet in the air, blows up some guys in a tank, and left one guy to possible brutal torture at the hands of those he was attempting to subjugate. This is not even counting all the terrorists that died when Tony blew up all his missiles while whole crews of people were still around them. 30-40? We probably saw him kill more then that in the first movie.

Even during his fight with Stane, he attempted not one, but TWO plans that he knew would end in Stane getting killed. First attempting to make him and his suit plummet to his death like he almost did earlier in the movie due to freezing over, and later having Pepper override the Arc Reactor so that the electric vortex would fry his ass. This to a guy that up till a few hours earlier Tony saw almost like an uncle.

Also, there are plenty of other superhero movies where people get killed by the superhero (probably more than where the hero doesn't kill anyone). Just as long as they're bad guys it's A-OK ;)

This really does seem to be the dividing line between DC movies and Marvel moves (aside from the fact that the DC movie usually suck...)

Batman killed a bunch of people. For example an entire temple full of Ra's Al Gul's henchmen.
Yes but he didn't MEAN to kill them! In the Nolan Batman trilogy it always seemed to be his scape goat for when someone else died that it was always an accident from either defending himself or escaping. Remember the ending when Ras says "You won't kill me" and Batman is like "No, but I won't save you." before gliding away to let Ras blow up on the train?

Actually that was the one thing that bothered me about that trilogy. One minute he is like "No death for any reason!" then he does something that gets someone killed, but shrugs it off and moves on. He does not want to kill the old man but blows up the temple killing all the ninjas. He does not want to kill Ras so he... lets the train kill Ras.

In "The Dark Knight" he has a huge fight with Joker, "accidentally" knows him off a ledge but fights to save him. Later on he tackles Two-Face off a ledge to his death.

Also loved how in Dark Knight Rises...

Batman almost lectures Catwoman on not killing people, only for Catwoman to save his life later by using Batmans own bike to straight up murder Bane. No lecture after that, they both go on to get Talia killed, then go off an have sex in Europe.

I had a great amount of fun with this. It was SO much better than Avengers/Iron Man 2. Tony Stark's voice / character seemed so much better / cooler in this. I have this right next to Captain America as the best Marvel movie yet.

Shane Black loves his shipyard and Christmas finales, doesn't he?

I was a little set off by Mandarin being a front, since he seemed like an epic / formidable villain, and it's kind of lame they threw away the little build up for it in Iron Man 1, BUT Killian was a pretty badass character / villain in his own right and that made up for it and still had a really great villain arc and performance.

The whole "breaths fire" thing could have killed Tony a dozen times over. Is there some reason he didn't use it after he used it JUST t intimidate Roadie? Because seriously... fire breath would have killed Tony Stark SO. MANY. TIMES.

Finally saw it, loved it.

I admit, the Mandarin thing felt like it was forced into the movie just to give a twist. However, I was not really all that mad about it. At most, I would have dragged it out a little more, since the reveal felt like it happened barely over the half way mark and really killed the mystery.

Besides that, the only other things that bothered me were petty little plot holes.

Like, we know Killian needed the Iron Patriot armor to sneak onto Air Force One. After that, we see the suit flying away from Air Force One without anyone in his hands. It's later revealed that the President was trapped in the suit. If this is the case, how the hell did Killian get off the plane? Better yet, how did his one reoccurring henchman even get on the plane in the first place? I thought getting the suit was because it could get you on the plane, and yet you had someone else already on the plane?

It made it almost feel like Killian could teleport, because about five minutes later he is talking with Pepper looking like he just got out of the shower when the Iron Patriot suit appears with the president inside. Did he somehow beat the suit back home?

Wait I just realized, I am not sure how well I saw his face when the mask opened after taking out all the presidents guards, was it the henchman? That likely explains it. I may have to watch again for that scene because I could have swore it was Killian.

The other plot issue was how he was able to accurately lock his suit around other people. I thought him attaching all those little computer systems to his arm was to help the computers in the suit properly position themselves, like little guides. Yet he can wave his hands and make them perfectly form on ANOTHER persons body? One without little lock on computers? Was he secretly installing them into Pepper and Killian while they slept?

Yeah, it was the henchmen guy.

As the thing she implants... I figured those were to read his muscle movements so that the suit knew when to come. Remember, he'd usually hit a certain pose to activate it.

I actually highly disliked this movie.

I guess I should correct myself. I loved the first 3/4ths of the movie but once
It was revealed that the Mandarin was a fake, it all went down hill. The final fight was boring. Killian announcing he was -The Mandarin- was a bigger fuck you than the fake reveal. Also the -Oh I fixed Pepper in about 5 seconds- was a crock. Oh and I totally fixed a formula that an entire think tank failed at but won't release it to the world to save millions of lives was the final nail in the coffin.
Seriously, how did it go so wrong in the last hour so fast?

Why would he release it to the world? Sure, it heals people... but it also gives them super powers. That stuff hits the market and then every government has entire armies of supermen.

It was also implied, obviously, that the whole serum was very, very unstable. Even during the final battle many of the Extremis Soldiers were literally exploding when they died, one almost taking out the entire rig everyone was standing on.

They even hinted that this instability might happen to any of them. Maya even implied that Killian would likely explode someday.

When Tony Stark said he "fixed" Pepper, I don't think it means he perfected the serum and now had a super healing serum. It likely means he found out how the whole process worked and forged a sort of counter-agent that removed Extremis from her system, making her normal again.

Status
Not open for further replies.