Marinate My Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought two london broils this week (buy one get one free) and plan to cook them tonight. My original plan was to just broil them with some salt and pepper, but now I'm thinking I should probably let them marinate for an hour or two first.

Share with me your suggestions, or else I'll just use some balsamic vinegar, and whatever herbs I have on me.

try using equal parts basalmic vinegar and red wine. Add a tbs of soy sauce or so. Maybe some garlic (4 or 5 whole cloves) and honey for taste.

Best marinated for 24 hours, so if you're cooking them tonight, you're SoL

broil them with some salt and pepper
That's how I do the majority of my beefs. If you must get fancier, get a bottle of burgundy (cheap is fine) and some potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and parsley. Sear the meat a little then add the other stuff, enough burgundy to cover, and salt and pepper. I usually do this in foil on a grill, so that may be too much liquid if you're cooking in an oven.

C

Chazwozel

broil them with some salt and pepper
That's how I do the majority of my beefs. If you must get fancier, get a bottle of burgundy (cheap is fine) and some potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and parsley. Sear the meat a little then add the other stuff, enough burgundy to cover, and salt and pepper. I usually do this in foil on a grill, so that may be too much liquid if you're cooking in an oven.[/QUOTE]

Good man. It's a sin to cover up the flavor of good meat with anything other than salt and pepper.

W

Wasabi Poptart

When I make a london broil, I usually marinate it for a few hours in Italian dressing.

M

makare

I had to look up what a London broil is but over all I am with the salt and pepper people.

If you are going to eat beef you should be able to taste it.

Damn it, now I really want steak.... run it through a warm room... little salt. Mmmm.

C

Chazwozel

I had to look up what a London broil is but over all I am with the salt and pepper people.

If you are going to eat beef you should be able to taste it.

Damn it, now I really want steak.... run it through a warm room... little salt. Mmmm.
Rare steak is for people that don't know how to properly cook a well-done steak without charring the shit out of it. Savages.

M

makare

People who eat well done steak do not deserve to eat steak. I want to go and take the steak away from them and trade it with shoe leather because they would not be able to tell the difference.

My mother is a masterful steak preparer she worked in one of those awesome old school steak houses so she can prepare a steak any way someone orders it. I have had well done steak and I think my tongue cried.

London Broil is flank steak...It's a tough cut of meat. If you eat a big hunk of it rare, you'll be chewing it all day.

There's a reason that it's typically marinated, braised and then cut across the grain.

M

makare

I thought it was a kind of roast. I do not eat roast rare but I do not marinate it.

well, the term 'london broil' really refers to the cooking method: marinated and then broiled. However, flank steak is the most common cut of meat you will get if you get meat labeled 'london broil' at the grocery store.

I usually make fajitas out of it.

C

Chazwozel

People who eat well done steak do not deserve to eat steak. I want to go and take the steak away from them and trade it with shoe leather because they would not be able to tell the difference.

My mother is a masterful steak preparer she worked in one of those awesome old school steak houses so she can prepare a steak any way someone orders it. I have had well done steak and I think my tongue cried.
You, my friend, have not had proper well done steak. Like I said, there's more to charring the shit out of it and leaving it to dry. Good well done is grey throughout and still juicy as hell. The way I make it is such that it practically melts in your mouth. The key is to slice it thin to about a little over 1/4 inch.

Anyone can make a rare steak. Hell you might as well jump on the cow and take a chop out of it's ass.

A

Armadillo

^Bingo. London Broil is a tough, tough cut o' meat.

And Chaz, there is no way to cook steak well-done without turning it into dust. If God wanted us to eat well-done beef, he wouldn't have given the cows blood.

C

Chazwozel

And Chaz, there is no way to cook steak well-done without turning it into dust. If God wanted us to eat well-done beef, he wouldn't have given the cows blood.
Yes there is. Ugh... Charcoal grill. Tinfoil. Let it cook thoughout in it's own juices in direct flame. Remove Tinfoil. Cook directly on flame for 5 minutes to sear the outside and give a nice smoke finish. Tada! Juicy, well done steak.

M

makare

You, my friend, have not had proper well done steak. Like I said, there's more to charring the shit out of it and leaving it to dry. Good well done is grey throughout and still juicy as hell. The way I make it is such that it practically melts in your mouth. The key is to slice it thin to about a little over 1/4 inch.

Anyone can make a rare steak. Hell you might as well jump on the cow and take a chop out of it's ass.[/QUOTE]

like I said I have had properly well done steak and it is flavorless dreck. Rare steak is not that easy really because you want the outside done and the inside rare. I like mine slightly closer to medium rare but my stepfather's steak, sometimes I think you can hear it moo.

R

rabbitgod

I'm going with Tin on this. I love flank steak, but you really need to marinate it.

I like to marinate in Lime juice (lemon is ok) and some garlic. Best left 24 hours, but I've had it at 4 hours and it wasn't too bad.

Here's another thing I do with flank.
Turn your oven on to bake at it's lowest temp, rack in the middle, Saute some onions, when golden brown pull them out and leave as much oil. Lightly coat the meat in proccessed chipotle (just grab a can 'en adobo' and put it in a food processor you'll only need a few ounces so buy a small can and put the left overs in the fridge) Fry that up for a few minutes each side depending on thickness. Put the meat on to the middle rack of your oven, don't forget a drip pan, leave it in there for 10ish minutes. While that happens heat up some small tortillas, get your salsa ready (almost anything chipotle based even Tabasco, verdes can be good too). Cut meat into strips across the grain, pile into tortillas, top with onions and salsa. It's pretty quick and tasty.

C

Chazwozel

Anyone can make a rare steak. Hell you might as well jump on the cow and take a chop out of it's ass.[/QUOTE]

like I said I have had properly well done steak and it is flavorless dreck. Rare steak is not that easy really because you want the outside done and the inside rare. I like mine slightly closer to medium rare but my stepfather's steak, sometimes I think you can hear it moo.[/QUOTE]

Medium rare steak. Cook one side, ten minutes. Flip over. Cook other side 10 minutes. Stick meat thermo in, check temp, or cut in the mid to check. I like to call this "caveman steak".

A

Armadillo

:facepalm:[/QUOTE]

Nope, you're wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrongity wrong wrong wrong.

Wrong.

C

Chazwozel

:facepalm:[/QUOTE]

Nope, you're wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrongity wrong wrong wrong.

Wrong.[/QUOTE]

If God would want us to eat like Chimps and other Apes he wouldn't have let us master FIRE.

M

makare

I said I had to look up what a london broil is.

But we make steak and roasts all the time without a thermometer.

C

Chazwozel

I said I had to look up what a london broil is.

But we make steak and roasts all the time without a thermometer.
Savages.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

try using equal parts basalmic vinegar and red wine. Add a tbs of soy sauce or so. Maybe some garlic (4 or 5 whole cloves) and honey for taste.

Best marinated for 24 hours, so if you're cooking them tonight, you're SoL
This is good. As mentioned, Italian dressing works too.

London Broil - nothing to do with London, may not even be broiled.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Still trying to figure it out, let you know what I come up with.

Also a short marinade is just as effective as a long one.

C

Chazwozel

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Still trying to figure it out, let you know what I come up with.

If you're doing a short marinade, definitely use something acidic like lemon juice or vinegar. Break up that meat.

M

makare

this whole thread is just a walking innuendo.

in YOUR endo. / the todd

If you're doing a short marinade, definitely use something acidic like lemon juice or vinegar. Break up that meat.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Perhaps I will only marinate one, and just use salt and pepper on the other.

Look, if you want your steak done well, so be it. I used to only eat it that way.

Until I had my dad's medium rare goodness.

AND WTF? I've never owned a meat thermometer. Why do I need one now? I just see it as a HUGE hole that is left in the meat (unless it's a roast or turkey.... you know, somefin GIRTHY) in which the juices exit anyway.

C

Chazwozel

Look, if you want your steak done well, so be it. I used to only eat it that way.

Until I had my dad's medium rare goodness.

AND WTF? I've never owned a meat thermometer. Why do I need one now? I just see it as a HUGE hole that is left in the meat (unless it's a roast or turkey.... you know, somefin GIRTHY) in which the juices exit anyway.
Savage

I have a medium-well steak. Just a slight layer of pink throughout.

If you're not cooking on a grill, add some smoked paprika to the mix to give it a smokey flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.