[PC Game] Minecraft HF server info and game discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
2) How should I avoid this in the future? Does logging out save it?
Chest contents are saved whenever you change them (game saves, changing contents, chunk updates). Your inventory only saves when you log out. So if you acquire something you want to keep, either stash it in a chest or log out and back in to force a save of your player.dat file.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Please note:

We will be performing maintenance on the machine that runs your Minecraft gameserver on Friday 30th September 2011 between 9am BST and 6pm BST.

This maintenance window is set out to repair an OS issue that has been causing occasional crashes to Minecraft servers. Due to the nature of the fixes required, customers services will be stopped and unable to start throughout the duration of the maintenance period.

It's too bad there aren't any NPCs around to taunt.

"Your world is ending Friday, you know. So sad. Better enjoy your children while you're still around to do so. Oh sure, the world will start up again, and if you're lucky you'll be recreated and won't even know you were gone. But maybe not..."

Fnord, your double-doors are done with buttons, just like I demonstrated to you in my mock-up. Let me know if it is to your satisfaction.

And thanks for the "shipment" of goods to pay. ;)

2011-09-28_11.09.07.png

Hey Gas is there any chance of getting some pumpkin seeds in a chest near the portals for everyone? That way we can get pumpkin patches started for 1.9

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm afraid the multi-arrow plugin is a no-go... there are issues with its configuration file and it is incompatible with the new "hold to draw" bow dynamic (holding down causes rapid fire mid-low range arrows). Sorry fnord.

Hmmm...its not Sept 30th yet...not even in BST....yet server seems to be down...

Logged in, had logged out in Shroomshire. Only the chunk I was in loaded then the server went *bloop*

I'm gonna stop logging in if my mere presence kills it so I don't ruin it for everyone. :(

GasBandit

Staff member
Looking at the server statistics, something was real bad wrong before you even logged in. The final crash seems to have been an out of memory error, but CPU useage was also through the roof EVEN WITH NOBODY LOGGED IN which is the first time I've seen that. I wonder if this is the manifestation of what they're taking the servers down on the 30th to fix.

HOUR:

DAY:

Code:
2011-09-29 09:52:09 [SEVERE] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
2011-09-29 09:52:09 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NBTTagByteArray.a(SourceFile:21)
2011-09-29 09:52:10 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NBTBase.b(SourceFile:64)
2011-09-29 09:52:10 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NBTTagCompound.a(SourceFile:24)
2011-09-29 09:52:10 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NBTBase.b(SourceFile:64)
2011-09-29 09:52:10 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NBTTagCompound.a(SourceFile:24)
2011-09-29 09:52:10 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.CompressedStreamTools.a(SourceFile:75)
2011-09-29 09:52:11 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkRegionLoader.a(SourceFile:29)
2011-09-29 09:52:11 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.loadChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:124)
2011-09-29 09:52:11 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.getChunkAt(ChunkProviderServer.java:67)
2011-09-29 09:52:11 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.PlayerInstance.<init>(PlayerInstance.java:31)
2011-09-29 09:52:12 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.PlayerManager.a(PlayerManager.java:45)
2011-09-29 09:52:12 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.PlayerManager.movePlayer(PlayerManager.java:141)
2011-09-29 09:52:12 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.ServerConfigurationManager.d(ServerConfigurationManager.java:146)
2011-09-29 09:52:13 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:374)
2011-09-29 09:52:13 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.Packet10Flying.a(SourceFile:126)
2011-09-29 09:52:13 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:226)
2011-09-29 09:52:13 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:92)
2011-09-29 09:52:15 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:108)
2011-09-29 09:52:15 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:464)
2011-09-29 09:52:15 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:374)
2011-09-29 09:52:15 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:417)
2011-09-29 09:52:16 [SEVERE] Unexpected exception
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at net.minecraft.server.NBTTagByteArray.a(SourceFile:21)
    at net.minecraft.server.NBTBase.b(SourceFile:64)
    at net.minecraft.server.NBTTagCompound.a(SourceFile:24)
    at net.minecraft.server.NBTTagCompound.a(SourceFile:24)
    at net.minecraft.server.CompressedStreamTools.a(SourceFile:75)
    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkRegionLoader.a(SourceFile:29)
    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.loadChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:124)
    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.getChunkAt(ChunkProviderServer.java:67)
    at net.minecraft.server.PlayerInstance.<init>(PlayerInstance.java:31)
    at net.minecraft.server.PlayerManager.a(PlayerManager.java:45)
    at net.minecraft.server.PlayerManager.movePlayer(PlayerManager.java:141)
    at net.minecraft.server.ServerConfigurationManager.d(ServerConfigurationManager.java:146)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:374)
    at net.minecraft.server.Packet10Flying.a(SourceFile:126)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:226)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:92)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:108)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:464)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:374)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:417)
2011-09-29 09:52:32 [SEVERE] Exception in thread "Connection #61 read thread"
2011-09-29 09:52:33 [SEVERE] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
2011-09-29 09:52:35 [SEVERE]    at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2746)
2011-09-29 09:52:36 [SEVERE]    at java.util.ArrayList.ensureCapacity(ArrayList.java:187)
2011-09-29 09:52:41 [SEVERE]    at java.util.ArrayList.add(ArrayList.java:378)
2011-09-29 09:52:44 [SEVERE]    at java.util.Collections$SynchronizedCollection.add(Collections.java:1593)
2011-09-29 09:52:47 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.h(NetworkManager.java:156)
2011-09-29 09:52:49 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.c(NetworkManager.java:263)
2011-09-29 09:52:51 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkReaderThread.run(SourceFile:77)
2011-09-29 09:52:52 [SEVERE] Exception in thread "Listen thread"
2011-09-29 09:52:54 [SEVERE] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
2011-09-29 09:52:55 [SEVERE]    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.<init>(BufferedOutputStream.java:76)
2011-09-29 09:52:57 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.<init>(NetworkManager.java:56)
2011-09-29 09:52:58 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NetLoginHandler.<init>(NetLoginHandler.java:22)
2011-09-29 09:53:01 [SEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkAcceptThread.run(SourceFile:49)
Added at: 09:33
I've rebooted and it seems to be behaving now.

I wonder if it's animals doing it? Sometime last night I went wandering around, and I ended up in an area where there were seemingly hundreds of passive mobs, way past what the mob cap is.

Dave

Staff member
New items
  • Nine new music discs (11 in total, one "broken")
  • Blaze powder
  • Magma cream
  • Spider eye (dropped by spiders) and fermented spider eye
  • Glass Bottle (3 glass cubes = 3 glass bottles)
Game mechanics
  • Hardcore mode: game over when you die, hearts have new icons
  • Golden apple now has a shining animation
  • Pressure plates on top of fence posts now make sound when you walk on them or next to them
  • Villagers has no names (No more TESTIFICATE)
  • Holding the spacebar allows you to jump continuously again
  • The enderman pearls now teleports you when thrown
  • Endermen teleport to dodge arrows. Endermen teleport out of water when they touch it. Endermen teleport a lot more
  • Item repair! Put two damaged items in the crafting grid (arrangement doesn't seem to matter)
  • Pumpkins can be “crafted” into 4 Pumpkin Seeds
  • Zombie Pigmen now randomly drop rotten flesh or gold bits instead of everytime
  • F8 cinematic mode is back
  • F5 view cycling, including front view.
  • Fences now attach to adjacent blocks. (http://imgur.com/a/MiBid)
Animal breeding:
  • Feed passive mobs wheat to make them breed with each other
  • Passive mobs follow you when wheat is selected
I got all of these from Reddit.
Added at: 10:21
That's Crysis, not Minecraft.

Would it be possible to get an updated Cartographer, I tried logging in but had no idea where I should go to start building, mostly because I wasn't sure if I was going to dig into someonelses place.

I'm thinking of just snagging some wood, making a boat then just sailing in a random direction for a while.

GasBandit

Staff member
I wonder if it's animals doing it? Sometime last night I went wandering around, and I ended up in an area where there were seemingly hundreds of passive mobs, way past what the mob cap is.
If that was the case, a simple reboot would not likely have fixed it, and the CPU useage would have gone down when everybody was logged out because animals only process when there's a player in the area, just like everything else.

I'm pretty sure it's whatever multiplay is trying to fix tomorrow.
Added at: 10:38
Would it be possible to get an updated Cartographer, I tried logging in but had no idea where I should go to start building, mostly because I wasn't sure if I was going to dig into someonelses place.

I'm thinking of just snagging some wood, making a boat then just sailing in a random direction for a while.
I'll get on it but it will take a bit.
Added at: 10:41
Holy crap. Over the course of this week alone our map has tripled in size. Looks like I put in AdventureLand none too soon.

Dave

Staff member
Your post looks really familiar.

:p

Oh and more on repairing. You do NOT need a bench to repair. You can use your normal build box on your character screen. You put in two like items and they will merge into 1. You add the % remaining and add 20%. So if you have 2 diamond picks with 10% each you get 1 diamond pick with 40% remaining.

If that was the case, a simple reboot would not likely have fixed it, and the CPU useage would have gone down when everybody was logged out because animals only process when there's a player in the area, just like everything else.

I'm pretty sure it's whatever multiplay is trying to fix tomorrow.
Added at: 10:38

I'll get on it but it will take a bit.
Added at: 10:41
Holy crap. Over the course of this week alone our map has tripled in size. Looks like I put in AdventureLand none too soon.
I remember reading something about a glitch where animals persist even when they're supposed to despawn. The difference is that in that example, it just lead to mobs not spawning in your general vicinity. Since there were so many mobs (like I said, way past what the passive mob cap is supposed to be), I'm wondering if it's a case where Minecraft thinks Mob A despawned and so spawned Mob B, but then Mob A actually remained.

Also, regarding maps, is the DynMap mod an option? Loads real time data like map time, weather, and player location, among other things.

Your post looks really familiar.

:p
I don't know what you're talking about, Dave. >.>

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember reading something about a glitch where animals persist even when they're supposed to despawn. The difference is that in that example, it just lead to mobs not spawning in your general vicinity. Since there were so many mobs (like I said, way past what the passive mob cap is supposed to be), I'm wondering if it's a case where Minecraft thinks Mob A despawned and so spawned Mob B, but then Mob A actually remained.

Also, regarding maps, is the DynMap mod an option? Loads real time data like map time, weather, and player location, among other things.
Unfortunately not. As I said on a past page, the Dynmap mod has been nixed by multiplay because it is allegedly extremely resource intensive.. I tried sneaking it in via FTP, but it did shoot the resources way up high, and I never figured out how to host the images offsite either (because multiplay blocks the built in webserver in dynmap).

Unfortunately not. As I said on a past page, the Dynmap mod has been nixed by multiplay because it is allegedly extremely resource intensive.. I tried sneaking it in via FTP, but it did shoot the resources way up high, and I never figured out how to host the images offsite either (because multiplay blocks the built in webserver in dynmap).
Whoops, missed that. On the other hand, I wonder if people would be interested in AutoMap? It's client-side, so I wouldn't think it would stress the server. Supposedly works in SMP and also works real-time for your general vicinity, with an updating static map as you move around.

If you guys are talking about minimap mods, I suggest using Rei's Minimap, since it is pretty much the best one out there. It adds customizable waypoints, is relatively cleanly coded (i.e. doesnt hit your performance too much) and is, in general, pretty smooth lookin'.

It's client-side, so everyone would have to add it in manually, but yeah.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dynmap is a dream come true - it basically builds scalable isometric maps with a googlemaps interface on the fly in real time that can then be viewed via any web browser thanks to its own built in webhost. I wish we could, but not on shared hosting :/
Added at: 12:23
And that cartograph is still coming, shego. I haven't forgotten.
Added at: 12:33
Cartograph is uploading now. Seems some folks went a'wanderin. In the future, please use AdventureLand to sate your wanderlust, it's SO much easier to reset than to have to download, trim, and reupload Caprica for that. As a result, we'll probably not be seeing any 1.9 villagers in caprica until I can get a few hours of uninterrupted free time... if even then.

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently 3 gigs of ram is not enough to cartograph Ragnar. I've got the latest backup for Ragnar here:
http://gasbanditry.com/minecraft/world8-2011-09-13-23-10-02.tar.gz

and the cartograph program is here:
http://duponline.net/cartograph_g/download.php?f=cartograph_g_2011_09_16_bins.rar

if anybody with more ram wants to make a final cartograph for it.
Added at: 13:02
I see nothing but a blank screen.
zoom out. If you're zoomed in, the upper left corner is almost always white.

Cut it. Take the whole southern chunk and ditch it, along with the loop up near far and two-bit, and as well as anything else that looks unpopulated. Just ditch entirely. I know it'll be work (and I sympathize) but cut it for the good of all.

I have 8GB of RAM on a 64-bit OS. Hopefully it's compiled for 64-bit. I'll take a look at it some time when I don't care about D/Ling a big file (I'm assuming the backup is huge).

GasBandit

Staff member
Cut it. Take the whole southern chunk and ditch it, along with the loop up near far and two-bit, and as well as anything else that looks unpopulated. Just ditch entirely. I know it'll be work (and I sympathize) but cut it for the good of all.

I have 8GB of RAM on a 64-bit OS. Hopefully it's compiled for 64-bit. I'll take a look at it some time when I don't care about D/Ling a big file (I'm assuming the backup is huge).
yeah, it's about 250mb. Caprica is 100mb thanks to all the wandering, up from 37mb earlier this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.