[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Cajungal

Staff member
Grrrrrr...I came to this cafe to play ukulele and read in peace. And I just got a text that a bunch of speech and debate alums will be here in and hour. Guess I'm evacuating. Don't you hate it when people go places they have every right to go to when you don't feel like seeing them?!

I've been called, emailed, and texted all day long by co-workers, starting with a lovely screamy phone call from my brother-in-law (the company owner) at 9am telling me that the parts we desperately needed never got to work. Now, I know this is wrong because a) I knew when they arrived, and b) instead of just accepting that the system was right about their receipt, I went out to receiving and laid my hands on them. Now my phone is on silent.

Grrrrrr...I came to this cafe to play ukulele and read in peace. And I just got a text that a bunch of speech and debate alums will be here in and hour. Guess I'm evacuating. Don't you hate it when people go places they have every right to go to when you don't feel like seeing them?!
Man, fuck those people, fuckin' enjoying shit...

I can't agree enough with this sentiment, I am often annoyed by this.

I am often annoyed by this.
I can't BEGIN to describe* how much I want there to be some sort of coffee joint where instead of booths, you have something like music rehearsal rooms, or a train car. Something where you can be with other people (if you WANT to), but with a bit more privacy, and maybe have a snack, relax, take a nap, read, or whatever while whatever going on around you fails to penetrate your sanctuary.

--Patrick
*except that I'm going to.

Cajungal

Staff member
Yes.

...i mentioned that complaint to a coworker recently. It also got out that I didn't attend my college graduation and have no desire to attend my second one, because I find the ceremony boring and pointless. He looked at me sadly and said, "kind of jaded, aren't you?"

Whatever. I just know what I want.

Yes.

...i mentioned that complaint to a coworker recently. It also got out that I didn't attend my college graduation and have no desire to attend my second one, because I find the ceremony boring and pointless. He looked at me sadly and said, "kind of jaded, aren't you?"

Whatever. I just know what I want.
One time, I explained how I skipped graduation because I didn't understand all the fuss... to a person who was super excited to graduate literally the next day. I didn't realize, of course; I wasn't trying to rain on her parade; it was just a bad coincidence.

I found another problem with paying for this trip. Noah has the Big Island trip to go on with his class in March. It's part of the curriculum, so I can't just say he won't attend. It costs a pretty penny since a parent has to go with him.
So either I go it alone or we have to skip visiting Aussie's family in CA. Like I told him last night, no matter what we do someone is going to be unhappy.

My injured finger is throbbing. Trying to work and type is both painful and painfully slow. My pants are being stupid and keep falling down and it hurts to fix them.

And the tarpoline is a lie.

Step one: Lose the pants; it's better that way.
Step two: Have a glass of HCGLNS' eggnog+. Then have another glass.
Step three: ?
Step four: Profit!
Step five: Have a Merry Christmas.

Now I am a little upset with myself. I decided to come into work today because our office normally lets us out at noon before a big family holiday. Well it is 1:30 without a hint of letting us go. Damn, I could be eating a home cooked meal tonight. But I wanted to take advantage of free time off and did not get it.

As much as I enjoy my family around Christmas time, white elephant christmas to me is a most tedious affair. One because why not just give people specific gifts rather than gifts that run on randomness, and two because my family had more than FOURTY people there and it just lasted forever because of the steal rule. WE GET IT, YOU BOTH WANT THE BACK BACK! Just fucking rock paper scissor it like civilized people and let us get back to having fun instead of a game we pretend is fun!

All this stuff about chili reminds me of that joke with the three judges at a chili cookoff. You all know it, so just think about it now, and chuckle with me.

https://www.chili.org/rules.html
Chili Appreciation Society Official Rules
Number 1 rule: Must be cooked from scratch. But number 2?
2. NO FILLERS IN CHILI - Beans, macaroni, rice, hominy, or other similar ingredients are not permitted.
Chili was originally invented as a travel food for cowboys. It was made with chili peppers, spices, and meat, thickened with masa, pressed into bricks and dried, to be cumbled into a cook pot and reconstituted out on the plains. It had no beans.

After it became popular as a general food, the poor would add beans to make the meal stretch, since meat was more expensive. and they would use crackers to thicken it, as masa was more expensive. Their use is not official chili.

Adding vegetables of any kind and/or making it watery: You have meat soup, not chili. My first day of work at the Roosevelt building in DC, they had "Texas Style Chili" in the cafeteria. It was a soupy concoction of ground beef, carrots, celery, corn, and tomatoes, with no chili aroma coming off of it at all or any red color to the broth. Texas style chili my ass. It was beef vegetable soup.

https://www.chili.org/rules.html
Chili Appreciation Society Official Rules
Number 1 rule: Must be cooked from scratch. But number 2?

Chili was originally invented as a travel food for cowboys. It was made with chili peppers, spices, and meat, thickened with masa, pressed into bricks and dried, to be cumbled into a cook pot and reconstituted out on the plains. It had no beans.

After it became popular as a general food, the poor would add beans to make the meal stretch, since meat was more expensive. and they would use crackers to thicken it, as masa was more expensive. Their use is not official chili.

Adding vegetables of any kind and/or making it watery: You have meat soup, not chili. My first day of work at the Roosevelt building in DC, they had "Texas Style Chili" in the cafeteria. It was a soupy concoction of ground beef, carrots, celery, corn, and tomatoes, with no chili aroma coming off of it at all or any red color to the broth. Texas style chili my ass. It was beef vegetable soup.
I'm pouring some chili with beans over rice right now, and adding in a little sour cream and cheese. AND NO ONE CAN STOP ME.