[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

So it did pass, but it left my eyes very photo sensitive. Troubling when I am the pricing manager at a grocery store and trying to change all the prices and signage overnight for our Thanksgiving sale. But I found a solution.

IMG_20161115_232224.jpg

Come to Winn-Dixie in the next eight hours if you want an ass kicking.

So the counselor I've been having sessions with wants to do some... not quite tests, but questionnaires that might indicate certain issues. Particularly for ADD, obsessive disorder, and depressive disorder.

Friends tried to pawn off their big ass dog on me for a week while they go on vacation. After I said, "Fuck no." they pleaded with me that they couldn't afford to kennel it for a week. Well, you can fucking afford to take 6 God damn world spanning vacations a year, you can probably afford to get that dumb shit machine kenneled for a week. You can't leave their dog alone or it will tear apart anything soft.

They eventually got a whole group of people to look after it, each taking turns all week.

Suckers.

Yeah, two of my friends once tried to pawn off a cat on me. Not for a week, but for life. Boots had belonged to one of their great-aunts who couldn't take care of him anymore. He was a pure-bred Himalayan. As a result, he had the squashed face and all the respiratory and vision problems that came with it. He needed regular eye drops and also had some allergies. All that, and he had originally cost $5000. I said thanks but no thanks, then it turned into a hassle.

"Boots is really sweet."
"My apartment doesn't allow pets without a $500 deposit."
"But he likes you!"
"I'm moving to Hawaii."
"Can't you take him there with you?"
"The state of Hawaii will put him in quarantine and my apartment there doesn't allow pets period."

Those two friends of mine are awesome, good-hearted people. They have a deep love for animals and don't want to see any pets languishing in shelters. They knew that all their pets loved me and so I was actually quite flattered that they wanted me to take the cat. I get that. But they're also inclined to believe every sob story about how a particular cat will be put down tomorrow if it's not adopted. That's why they once had six cats and three dogs under one roof. No way I was gonna let that happen to me.

GasBandit

Staff member
This year's toy drive (our 33rd annual one) has been put in the hands of our blondest, ditziest, most clueless employee. Shit is not going well. She could barely handle her USUAL responsibilities, much less overseeing an entire charity event on top of that. The website is still all last year's stuff (except for the few things I've taken upon myself to correct because they had to do with my station specifically), the wrong sponsors are being thanked because she sent out the wrong list, the scripts for the promos all have the wrong stations named in them, and it just goes on and on.

I expect this year's toy drive to be a complete train wreck, and my schadenfreude at her impending deserved beatdown due to catastrophic bungling is countered by the sad fact that she won't fail in a vacuum, and as a result, some of several thousands of local kids might not get toys.

my schadenfreude at her impending deserved beatdown due to catastrophic bungling is countered by the sad fact that she won't fail in a vacuum, and as a result, some of several thousands of local kids might not get toys.
The only alternative is to dress up as Santa Claus and swoop in at the last minute to pitch in, all the while yelling, "Ho, ho, ho!"
But who wants that? I mean, besides Lifetime.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Welp. This Wolfcamp discovery is great news for everyone but us on the exploration side. The supply side is already glutted, and now one of the biggest oil fields in the world has been discovered right here in Texas. In an already established area, so timing and infrastructure startup will be cheap. Maybe it's time to polish the ol' resume.

Welp. This Wolfcamp discovery is great news for everyone but us on the exploration side. The supply side is already glutted, and now one of the biggest oil fields in the world has been discovered right here in Texas. In an already established area, so timing and infrastructure startup will be cheap. Maybe it's time to polish the ol' resume.
Had to look it up, because I'm not in Texas/Geo-anything/whatever (around here it's mostly about "Fracking=Bad"), but here you go.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Yeah, it was on the TV news (which is how I heard about it), between the Trump rants.[DOUBLEPOST=1479406636,1479406568][/DOUBLEPOST]This is oil, too, not gas. A lot of the US's supply is in gas, which has become fairly cheap to convert to oil. But this stuff is 85% crude.

It seems like a lot of that is still shale oil though... which isn't exactly profitable to extract with the low price of oil right now. Or am I missing something here?

EDIT: Oh, missed the part about the crude.

Sunday my wife had a sore throat in the evening. Tuesday she was feeling so bad I forced her to go to urgent care (her doctor is out of office tuesdays), and the strep test was positive. A few of our kids were already exhibiting fevers and complaining of sore throats, so I assumed we'd have Strepacolypse 2016, bought a bunch of soda/pop/etc (something we don't keep on hand or have often), a bunch of children's pain medication, and ordered a 25 pack of rapid strep test kits from Amazon (a whole lot cheaper than going to the doctor's office and finding out it isn't strep).

She got on antibiotics, and we had one other kid put on antibiotics, but the rest and myself, are sick but not with fever and sore throat. On the one hand maybe our immune systems are simply doing a better job of fighting it, but it could also be a separate cold going around coincidently. All but 3 had some signs of illness...

I suppose we have several more days to go before I can assume no one else is going to get it, but man this has been an annoying week...

Had to drive most of my day off today across the state and back so I could rake leaves and mow a lawn in the dark (because I forgot about the time change thing).
Now I have to go to bed so I can get up at 3:30 so I can drive an hour to drop someone off at the airport by 4:30 and then drive an hour back home so I can catch enough sleep before it's time to get back up at 10:30 so I can drive an hour back to start work at 12p which just happens to be about 10min from said airport.

Why couldn't his flight have been closer to my start time? Whyyyyyyy? *grumble*

--Patrick

It is Sunday morning.

I am sitting at work, editing really crappy translations.

I will probably be doing this for the rest of the day.

Reactions: JCM
I browse the forums on an iPad, so the screen sometimes registers my big hulking fingers as hitting the "disagree" button instead of the like button, so apologies in advance.

I browse the forums on an iPad, so the screen sometimes registers my big hulking fingers as hitting the "disagree" button instead of the like button, so apologies in advance.
The only "disagree" I've gotten from you so far, I'd be happy to keep.

--Patrick

I can't seem to draw without making a complete mess of myself and having black smudges up to my elbows. And that's with pencils. When I did my charcoal flowers, my hands, arms, face and feet were covered :(

I can't seem to draw without making a complete mess of myself and having black smudges up to my elbows. And that's with pencils. When I did my charcoal flowers, my hands, arms, face and feet were covered :(
At least for me, most of those stains stem from touching the rest of my body with my drawing hand. Here's what I often use to save myself a lot of grief when drawing: SmudgeGuard

It's pretty cheap, and mine's lasted almost a decade. You could probably improv one out of something stretchy and nylon-y, or any sort of mildly breathable glove.

I understand that being or feeling messy is uncomfortable, but to me it's the mark of an artist. My mom enjoyed pottery, oil, acrylic, and charcoal and there was a correlation between how messy she was afterwards and how much she enjoyed her time working on a project. The more into it she was the less these other things mattered and thus the messier she became.

If you can, embrace it and own it, but if not I think you should at least accept it. And as @Denbrought mentioned there are tools and techniques you can adopt if it's really important for you.