[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

It doesn't matter that I wasn't informed of a change in a situation. I'm still the one who acted on that (lack of) information and angered and embarrassed a guest. OTOH, I was able to apologize and take responsibility for not having the proper information before I spoke up. So it goes.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know about the rest of you guys' states, but Texas State Highways often have this thing called a passing lane. That is, a lot of our "highways" only have one lane going each direction, but sometimes it widens just enough to accommodate a third lane, and sometimes that lane is going one way, and sometimes it's going the other (so it's 2 one way and 1 the other, then later it changes to the opposite).

The idea is, when you get to where your side widens to have a passing lane, if you're going slow, you are supposed to keep right, so that people going faster can use this opportunity to pass you without having to risk oncoming traffic.

There's a special place in hell for people who go under 70 when the highway has one lane, but as soon as it widens to 2 lanes, they speed up to 90 so nobody can pass them... then slow back down under 70 when the road narrows back to one lane.

I don't understand why this happens SO OFTEN.

That's all I have to say about that.

I don't know about the rest of you guys' states, but Texas State Highways often have this thing called a passing lane. That is, a lot of our "highways" only have one lane going each direction, but sometimes it widens just enough to accommodate a third lane, and sometimes that lane is going one way, and sometimes it's going the other (so it's 2 one way and 1 the other, then later it changes to the opposite).

The idea is, when you get to where your side widens to have a passing lane, if you're going slow, you are supposed to keep right, so that people going faster can use this opportunity to pass you without having to risk oncoming traffic.

There's a special place in hell for people who go under 70 when the highway has one lane, but as soon as it widens to 2 lanes, they speed up to 90 so nobody can pass them... then slow back down under 70 when the road narrows back to one lane.

I don't understand why this happens SO OFTEN.

That's all I have to say about that.
Because all the people that live between us are assholes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Because all the people that live between us are assholes.
Ironically, yes, my recent trip this week up Highways 21 and 7 prompted my post. I would have liked to have had the opportunity to stop by and say Hi on my way to/from Nacogdoches, but I had to put in 3 10 hour days on site and then drive home, so I didn't have the chance.

But this is also a problem on Highway 30 between here and Huntsville.

My houseboy is moving out. This is technically a rant, because I am going to miss his 800 a month, but holy smokes am I not going to miss living with him. Mother fucker is not chill about Covid. Which sucks ass because he works in a palliative care facility. He TECHNICALLY follows the rules, but the governments rules are shit. I am 100% going to miss that 800 dollars, but I am also not going to miss the Covid stress.

Oooooooooooooough

Damn I hate Covid. They started with no graduation, then Graduation with 3 guests. Then graduation with 2 guests. Now it's Graduation with 0 guests or graduation via zoom lmao. what a fucking joke. They told us this last one today so we can vote on what we want, and we graduate in 2 days

My sister crashed her car last night. She and the other driver are fine thankfully, but her car is now wrecked. Aaaand she did the one thing you're absolutely not supposed to do, babbling apologies and admitting fault to the officer on the scene. Shit this year really does just keep piling on.

I don't know if it's like this in anyone else's family, but I've noticed on both sides of my extended family, the people who tend to send letters along with their Christmas cards tend to be the people who need to control the narrative in their favor. For example, I have one "aunt" who writes a detailed letter every year of herself and her children/grandchildren/great-grandchildren, however, for the past, 10 years? I think?, she has left any mention of her eldest daughter or eldest daughter's family. Due to an argument at Christmas many years back that involved someone throwing red wine at the other, that part of her family has been dead to her since. Oh, and she opened her letter with how stressful the year has been, and we "won't know the election results for weeks", so you know what kind of klassy lady she is.

Now, from the other side of the family, we get a Christmas card/letter today opening with how "the election process has failed us" (what is with opening these letters this way??), but how my mother's side of the family is taking a group vacation to St. Lucia coming up. First off, this is the first I've heard? My mother's never mentioned it, and as far as I know, she wasn't going anywhere. But more importantly, how stupid and selfish is my extended family, really? I just....why? Just why???? Any other time, sure, but now??? When you've already had immediate family members who caught Covid, but also came very close to dying from it?!

Anyway, neither of these letter surprised me, considering who they came from. They just made me roll my eyes so hard my pupils are still looking at the back of my skull as I chucked the cards.

EDIT: Forgot to mention letter writer #2 is also estranged from her eldest child, though no one has ever told me the full story. Most of the time she talks like she only has 2 kids instead of 3.

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I was compiling the last video for Christmas Eve - 54 clips strung together, took me 3 hours to edit, sound balance, colour correct, etc. - and I MIS-CLICKED AND CLOSED THE PROGRAM! IT'S GONE! My entire morning of work - poof.

(You can't save prior to being completely done, because free program restrictions.)

I have to start from the beginning.

Fuck fuck fuck.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nothing like arriving to a customer site to commission, and find that the installers had been given the entirely wrong set of blueprints, and as a result everything is completely fucked.

Nothing like arriving to a customer site to commission, and find that the installers had been given the entirely wrong set of blueprints, and as a result everything is completely fucked.
It's why God put the entertainment and waste management systems right next to each other. Monday morning angel work and reading the plans the wrong way 'round.

Ugh. I take my NCLEX (licensing exam) on Thursday. and though I'm scoring really well on practice exams I'm super anxious and it's causing insomnia. This is the 2nd or 3rd time since Thursday that I've woke up around 2AM and not able to get back to sleep because my mind is racing. Can't wait to get this test over with so I can relax

Some customers should be strung up by their innards.

I really do want to help, but some people just call and expect a magical solution to all their woes, they do'nt want help and definitely not of the "you can change this yourself" sort.
If there hasn't been a log in on that username in a week, you're not currently logged in with that user. You can scream at me all you want, you really, really aren't. Maybe cookies or cache are causing you to see that name, maybe a colleague loggedin on your PC and didn't log out, whatever, I don't care, just log out and log back in with your own credentials, this isn't hard and asking for my manager and screaming your lungs out won't change what my server is telling me. If you don't want my help - you know, the professional who can see a LOT more info on you than you can from your side - then don't bother to call. Fix your own damn issues.

The accident reminds me how annoying it is that we don’t have easy access to our vehicles data. It would be nice if I could see how fast I was going, if the collision avoidance activated, and when, and when I started braking compared to that.

Some customers should be strung up by their innards.

I really do want to help, but some people just call and expect a magical solution to all their woes, they do'nt want help and definitely not of the "you can change this yourself" sort.
If there hasn't been a log in on that username in a week, you're not currently logged in with that user. You can scream at me all you want, you really, really aren't. Maybe cookies or cache are causing you to see that name, maybe a colleague loggedin on your PC and didn't log out, whatever, I don't care, just log out and log back in with your own credentials, this isn't hard and asking for my manager and screaming your lungs out won't change what my server is telling me. If you don't want my help - you know, the professional who can see a LOT more info on you than you can from your side - then don't bother to call. Fix your own damn issues.
Tech support folks really should be given some form of "force choke" by the universe. It'd be the only fair balance to the equation ;)

May I have one as well? I had need last night. Someone from another group that I have been going above and beyond to help for ages was super rude for no reason.

This is very much a first world problem rant, but...

So I watched Blade Runner (Final Cut edition) last night and wanted to continue with Blade Runner 2049.

Welp, my attempts to watch this movie have been completely futile. Tried steaming it on Amazon Prime because they advertised it as available. So I signed up for a 30 day trial. And Blade Runner 2049 IS available...to rent or buy digitally for an extra cost.

Then I tried renting it on the Playstation store to "take my business elsewhere" but there are no subtitle options. I very much prefer having subtitles on any movie I watch, especially one with a lot of expository dialog like this. I didn't realize there were no subtitles until after I dropped $4.99 to rent it. So I'm out $5 because I'm not comfortable watching this without subtitles which...what the hell? That should be a common feature anywhere by now.

Fuck sake, it should not be this hard to watch ONE movie. This is why people pirate. Which will probably be my next step now.

What the source text said: "Next year's estimates will be lowered by 20%."

What the translator wrote: "Next year's estimates will be lowered to 20%."

What I said to the translator: "Hey, this is wrong."

What the translator replied: "What's the difference?"

Well, how about we hypothetically lower your pay by 20%, and then hypothetically lower it to 20%, and then you tell me what the difference is between those two numbers, you dumbass.

This is very much a first world problem rant, but...

So I watched Blade Runner (Final Cut edition) last night and wanted to continue with Blade Runner 2049.

Welp, my attempts to watch this movie have been completely futile. Tried steaming it on Amazon Prime because they advertised it as available. So I signed up for a 30 day trial. And Blade Runner 2049 IS available...to rent or buy digitally for an extra cost.

Then I tried renting it on the Playstation store to "take my business elsewhere" but there are no subtitle options. I very much prefer having subtitles on any movie I watch, especially one with a lot of expository dialog like this. I didn't realize there were no subtitles until after I dropped $4.99 to rent it. So I'm out $5 because I'm not comfortable watching this without subtitles which...what the hell? That should be a common feature anywhere by now.

Fuck sake, it should not be this hard to watch ONE movie. This is why people pirate. Which will probably be my next step now.
Do you have a local library card? Sometimes when I can't stream something, I search the library and find out that they have a copy I can just check out.

Work silently switched it so you can no longer open private windows nor clear your browser's history.
This is really going to cut into my HF time.

--Pattrick