[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Not sure if this is a win, or a rant, it's a little of both. I got my first nursing job today. It's on a PRN (as needed) basis, but I have to get covid tested twice a week while I'm working there. And not the rapid test, the clean out your sinus test. I have to say it isn't very painful, but it is very unpleasant. On the bright side, at least I'm working now!

I'm painting my living room to a more sellable neutral bullshit colour so the next idiots that own this piece of shit house can paint it whatever colour they actually want.

I hate painting. Such a pain in the fucking ass. What a stupid thing I'm told to do by my realtor.

I just cleaned off my wife's truck this morning. Took me about 1/2 hour. Then the neighbor came by with his snow blower and helped me finish it. My neighbor rocks.
If you need to move a lot of snow off your car, I recommend something like the Snow Joe. Works well, although I would prefer a brush for getting around edges and smaller spaces.

A standard broom works well, too. Ask any Yooper. Just have to be careful about dragging the broom itself back and forth across the paint.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
It wasn't that the thing I was using was that short, it's that we got 11.5 inches of snow last night. And the plows piled up in front of our driveway. So not only did I have to clean off the F-150 cab and bed liner, but then had to try and make it so she could get out of the driveway with her rear-wheel drive. So yeah....1/2 hour at least.

I was curious, so I found a website that listed total snowfall in my area since we moved to SC in 1983. I have seen around 40.3 inches of snow cumulatively in my lifetime.

Edit: I am 40 years old, so that is in 37 years.

I was curious, so I found a website that listed total snowfall in my area since we moved to SC in 1983. I have seen around 40.3 inches of snow cumulatively in my lifetime.

Edit: I am 40 years old, so that is in 37 years.
I didn't see any significant snow until I left Houston. Houston had a total of 6.5 inches over the 33 years or so that I lived there.
Dallas snowed a little bit every year. 8.7 inches over the 7 years I lived there.
It snowed 31 inches the first year I lived in Virginia (2010).

Clearly, I need to move to the arctic circle next.

I didn't see any significant snow until I left Houston. Houston had a total of 6.5 inches over the 33 years or so that I lived there.
Dallas snowed a little bit every year. 8.7 inches over the 7 years I lived there.
It snowed 31 inches the first year I lived in Virginia (2010).

Clearly, I need to move to the arctic circle next.
Which doesn't get a lot of snow and is technically a desert.

You want to move to Labrador.

My wife yelled "HOLY SHIT" at the top of her lungs while I was in the middle of turning because the city wasn't blocking the street while working on the sewer (they've been there for about a week or so) scaring the shit out of me, and apparently I'm the bad guy for saying "What the fuck, you can't be doing that"

I know this is too soon to be funny for you, but almost 18 years ago, Mr. Z and I were driving out at night to visit my family in central PA. At one point we had pulled off the highway at some random exit in either Western North Jersey or Eastern PA to get gas. After we refuelled, we were pulling out of the opposite side of the gas station in an area that isn't well lit, and had been a 1-way road where we entered. From the passenger seat, I thought Mr.Z had accidentally pulled out into 1-way traffic going the wrong way, and in the dark, I could see headlights of a car quickly coming towards us. All I could get out in a panic was, "...OH SHIT! SHIT!" and covered my eyes. Anyway, it was a two-way road after all. Poor Mr. Z had no idea what the hell was happening, but no accident occurred.

To this day, he still hasn't let me forget it. He says had this been a horror movie, we would have been killed by the antagonist because instead of screaming "Duck!" or "Knife!" or something useful, all he would have gotten was "Shit! Shit!".

GasBandit

Staff member
I know this is too soon to be funny for you, but almost 18 years ago, Mr. Z and I were driving out at night to visit my family in central PA. At one point we had pulled off the highway at some random exit in either Western North Jersey or Eastern PA to get gas. After we refuelled, we were pulling out of the opposite side of the gas station in an area that isn't well lit, and had been a 1-way road where we entered. From the passenger seat, I thought Mr.Z had accidentally pulled out into 1-way traffic going the wrong way, and in the dark, I could see headlights of a car quickly coming towards us. All I could get out in a panic was, "...OH SHIT! SHIT!" and covered my eyes. Anyway, it was a two-way road after all. Poor Mr. Z had no idea what the hell was happening, but no accident occurred.

To this day, he still hasn't let me forget it. He says had this been a horror movie, we would have been killed by the antagonist because instead of screaming "Duck!" or "Knife!" or something useful, all he would have gotten was "Shit! Shit!".
And then you ate the roadmap :D

In a staff meeting our principal showed that we have had a huge increase in D and F grades since going to remote learning. And her clear conclusion to explain this increase is... that we're somehow racist? Yup, clearly racial bias is the only possible explanation for why grades are dropping since the summer. I certainly can't think of anything else that may have affected student achievement in the last year, nope.

In a staff meeting our principal showed that we have had a huge increase in D and F grades since going to remote learning. And her clear conclusion to explain this increase is... that we're somehow racist? Yup, clearly racial bias is the only possible explanation for why grades are dropping since the summer. I certainly can't think of anything else that may have affected student achievement in the last year, nope.

My daughter is a good student, and even her grades have been pretty shit (for her) because she will just randomly not feel like doing things because of how shit everything is.

The thing is, I am always down for re-evaluating our grading practices. And that includes considering how grades are given through the lense of racial bias. It's a real problem. But to show a basic graph showing Ds and Fs going up, and then tell us is must be because of our racial bias without acknowledging the insanity of our world right now, is beyond stupid.

But this is how my principal works. She reads a book or sees a TED talk, and she immediately tries to fit everything into whatever the most recent book/TED talk focused on.

Children of color or immigrants tend to be poorer and have less educated parents, and a generally crappier background. On line teaching gives them an extra handicap simply due to having only one (or no) pc, not having a separate room, not having a parent available or capable of giving assistance, slower and less reliable internet, and on and on. A drop in grades mainly with colored people is absolutely normal, and while it may speak to systemic racism which causes those other things, it absolutely does not mean the teachers themselves are racist. It's still perfectly possible some of the teachers are racist, of course, but you can't possibly deduce that from dropping grades.

I hate turning on the AC during the winter. The whiny part is it is only one degree warmer than where I have my thermostat set. This is after today's cold front too. So I'll have to turn on the heater before I go to bed.

WELL-I done shame-slept in today, after waking up around 9 and seeing the good weather I just slept in another hour out of embarrassment of not going out on a day I could've EASILY worked in the city.

Moral of the story, double-check weather reports.