[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I’m no translator, but I write my own correspondence. Formal reports etc go to translation.

Few positions outside of translation require a high level of written like that. (Thank goodness!)

While I obviously wouldn't trust it to translate anything official or public, I will say that Google Translate has really improved depending on how close the languages are together. German -> Dutch or Spanish -> French for example (both combinations where I speak one well and the other a little) have gotten to the point where even full text translations still end up making sense and being readable, especially in some specific types of language use.
When looking for holiday homes or something, you can actually just translate the whole website and have things make sense. Try the same with, say, Japanese -> English and you'll still end up with word salad.

I just got a talking to about how someone had to take care of something, and how disruptive it was for their workday. This is a rant because it's something I take care of constantly, it's also disruptive to my workday, and now I'm sitting here seething, which isn't doing my workday any favors either.

Done something similar myself. Cleaned out my locker as I left that day just in case. Was not disappointed...or rather WAS disappointed when they called me the next day to inform me my services were no longer needed, which happened to be Sept 7, 2001.

...it was a bad week for me.

--Patrick

WELL-my father helped me pick which I want in an apartment in the city or a car once I've saved enough, AND it is a resounding vote for apartment...because the god damn people in Hammonton are some of the worst anti-maskers I've ever seen. Keep in mind it is ALSO Trumpy territory, so I doubt all of them are vaccinated.

Dave

Staff member
Just took an assessment for a job. Mother FUCKER was that difficult! I think @PatrThom, @GasBandit, & @Tinwhistler would do really well at it. (And yes there are many others who would have excelled but these three immediately sprung to mind.)

1/2 of it was your typical "My coworkers would say I'm X", "I think I'm X" kind of things. The rest? Things like this only using designs instead of letters. Or things below. It was basically a mechanical aptitude test. I am not sure how well I did. But holy shit did it break my brain a little.

1628876690315.png

Tiny brain: "Ugh, I'm no good at these. Pass."
Smart brain: "Ooo, lets count the ratios and see what speeds get transmitted to the final gears. 1,2,3,4,5,6..."
IQ300 brain: "Both legs are symmetrical. A and G will therefore be the same. 700. Next."

When I hired in at the film lab, they made me take a dexterity test. I did really well, enough that they asked if I'd ever taken the test before. "No, it was just fun to do," I replied.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Bed, Bath, & Beyond started putting up their Hallowe'en decorations about two weeks ago.
I saw my first website with bats & cats & orange & black today, and the ads in Pandora have started mentioning "Are you planning a spooky party?" type things.
It's coming...

--Patrick

Smart brain: "Ooo, lets count the ratios and see what speeds get transmitted to the final gears. 1,2,3,4,5,6..."
IQ300 brain: "Both legs are symmetrical. A and G will therefore be the same. 700. Next."

When I hired in at the film lab, they made me take a dexterity test. I did really well, enough that they asked if I'd ever taken the test before. "No, it was just fun to do," I replied.

--Patrick
I thought 700 at first to, but doubted myself a lot thinking it'd be too obvious, is the question to trick people into over-thinking?

--Patrick
I can't calculate rate of rotation. But at a glance, looking at that diagram, I knew they had to be the same because they're the same size and you're not given any other measurements.

A lot of jobs do personality and inbox tests which didn’t happen when I got my job.

I have no issue with an inbox test, but I am glad I didn’t have to take a personality test.

How many cats do you have?

Do you talk to them?

Done lol….

Bed, Bath, & Beyond started putting up their Hallowe'en decorations about two weeks ago.
I saw my first website with bats & cats & orange & black today, and the ads in Pandora have started mentioning "Are you planning a spooky party?" type things.
It's coming...

--Patrick
I was so excited for this year, as we had to skip our Halloween party last year. Looks like we're going to be skipping it again this year. :mad:

Just took an assessment for a job. Mother FUCKER was that difficult! I think @PatrThom, @GasBandit, & @Tinwhistler would do really well at it. (And yes there are many others who would have excelled but these three immediately sprung to mind.)

1/2 of it was your typical "My coworkers would say I'm X", "I think I'm X" kind of things. The rest? Things like this only using designs instead of letters. Or things below. It was basically a mechanical aptitude test. I am not sure how well I did. But holy shit did it break my brain a little.

View attachment 38586
Um, 700 revolutions per second?

So we're translating something relating to a scientific experiment.

This would've been an acceptable translation, using the active voice:
You shall destroy the samples upon the termination of this project.

This also would've been an acceptable translation, using the passive voice:
The samples shall be destroyed upon the termination of this project.

So, of course, the translator decided to give us this:
You shall be destroyed upon the termination of this project.

Man, i wish I wasn't the only one here reading Skin Horse. This would've been great to make jokes about with the Destroybots.

having said that, sounds like a good reason to keep the experiment going.

It sounds like the Monty Python guards scene should be made required viewing in English classes.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I got 5 rejection letters today. Only reason this is a minor rant is because I have 4 interviews this week, so I'm not desperate. But god damn, son.

One was funny. "We decided not to fill the position at this time." So what's better than hiring Dave? HIRING NOBODY! :rofl:

My day is starting super. My work headset isn't working specifically in the program I use to take or make customer calls. Works fine in every other program. So I've been sitting here, waiting for the issue to be resolved and basically getting paid to do jack all.

Power has been out most of the day because Telus is incompetent. Rad.
I worked for them for 9 years, you have no idea. An old work buddy is in Ft St John and saw a Telus contractor setting up a tent for the night yesterday. It was 5°C last night.

They can't even pay scabs properly.