[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I'm trapped in my office while custodians clean the floors immediately outside. They are just buffing and shining and say they will be done in 30-45 minutes and I can't walk on it in the meantime. As soon as they got past my office I suddenly had to pee really bad. :(

Edit: Well, it was an hour later, but made it out and to a bathroom with no ill effect.
Just walk across it while doing the universal "I'm sorry for walking on your wet floor" creep

GasBandit

Staff member
A client just made a really slick youtube video to brag about their amazing awesome remote learning facility that my company made for them, and I programmed and commissioned personally, often working after hours to do so to fit their schedule.

It would have been kinda nice if they actually mentioned us in the video, instead of making sound like it was all entirely their design/product.

Bike repair-person told me the cost of labor to fix my back tire would cost as much as a NEW tire...took it back home, took me FIVE minutes to fix. MORAL-most bicycle repairmen in Philly are con-artists. 'Cept Frankinstein Bike Worx, the owner is a gem.

Bike repair-person told me the cost of labor to fix my back tire would cost as much as a NEW tire...took it back home, took me FIVE minutes to fix. MORAL-most bicycle repairmen in Philly are con-artists. 'Cept Frankinstein Bike Worx, the owner is a gem.
Out of curiosity, what was wrong?

So, way back in June, I was apartment hunting. Found a 1 bedroom place that I could shack up in for a while, and on the apartment's website, it was listed as "available". Not "Available on (date)" but currently available. Put in my application, which was approved June 20. Move-in day of Mon 8/2.

A few days later, I ask when they were going to send me a lease to sign. They're cagey about it, and say that they usually do that closer to rental time. Fine.

I go out to TX and spend a week nearby and check out the area. Drop by the apartment complex, while I'm there, to look around. Ask the lady in the office about my lease, and she says "we usually send those via docusign the day before the lease starts." This seems dumb, but whatever.

A couple of days ago, I realize "the day before the lease starts" means I'll be driving cross-country, so I ring them up and ask if they could do it on Thursday instead, so I could sign before I hit the road. The lady on the phone starts hemming and hawing and says that my apartment might not be ready 8/2.

What? It was one of two apartments listed as available on their website! Not "available middle of august"...currently available! I'm moving 1500 miles, have scheduled a cross-country moving company, and am driving my car and a load of stuff myself for 2 days to get this move accomplished. I am doing it over the weekend so I don't miss any work. I can't just not have a place to stay on 8/2.

Luckily, I haven't signed a lease yet, so I put in an app on a new place in a different complex on Friday. But I lose the app fee from the first place. Freaking incompetent people....sigh.

So, way back in June, I was apartment hunting. Found a 1 bedroom place that I could shack up in for a while, and on the apartment's website, it was listed as "available". Not "Available on (date)" but currently available. Put in my application, which was approved June 20. Move-in day of Mon 8/2.

A few days later, I ask when they were going to send me a lease to sign. They're cagey about it, and say that they usually do that closer to rental time. Fine.

I go out to TX and spend a week nearby and check out the area. Drop by the apartment complex, while I'm there, to look around. Ask the lady in the office about my lease, and she says "we usually send those via docusign the day before the lease starts." This seems dumb, but whatever.

A couple of days ago, I realize "the day before the lease starts" means I'll be driving cross-country, so I ring them up and ask if they could do it on Thursday instead, so I could sign before I hit the road. The lady on the phone starts hemming and hawing and says that my apartment might not be ready 8/2.

What? It was one of two apartments listed as available on their website! Not "available middle of august"...currently available! I'm moving 1500 miles, have scheduled a cross-country moving company, and am driving my car and a load of stuff myself for 2 days to get this move accomplished. I am doing it over the weekend so I don't miss any work. I can't just not have a place to stay on 8/2.

Luckily, I haven't signed a lease yet, so I put in an app on a new place in a different complex on Friday. But I lose the app fee from the first place. Freaking incompetent people....sigh.
update to this forthcoming in the minor victory thread

woof what a day
went to the grocery store with my mom to get stuff for dinner and got some deli shit to eat for lunch
the woman manning the self checkout was accusatory we had not scanned or paid for a few things, but i saw the entries pop up on the machine so I didn't pay it any mind and told her I saw as much.
apparently the thing seriously misweighed what I had but didn't realize it until after we left and I read the receipt

I discovered this morning that my son doesn't have a single pair of pants that fit him. Last year he was remote schooling, so I let him live in sweatpants. But I can't let him go to school like that (he rips the knees too easily and at this point, most of the sweats are too short as well), so while I'm out running errands this morning, I had him try on a couple of pairs.

His size doesn't exist.

He can juuuuuuust about squeeze into size 8's, but every yet he has a growth spurt around October, and if he grows an inch, they'll be too small. But the next size up are 10's, and the waists are huge on him. Even with a belt, we're talking very 1990's. No place makes size 9's.
He hates clothes shopping, but in the past, I already knew his size, so I'd just pick things out and he'd give his opinion. Now, because even kids' sizes aren't standard as far as inseam and style, I'm going to have to drag him all over the place and get him to try on things to see if we can find brands/styles that will fit. I am NOT looking forward to the arguments this is going to cause in the next month or so.

I discovered this morning that my son doesn't have a single pair of pants that fit him. Last year he was remote schooling, so I let him live in sweatpants. But I can't let him go to school like that (he rips the knees too easily and at this point, most of the sweats are too short as well), so while I'm out running errands this morning, I had him try on a couple of pairs.

His size doesn't exist.

He can juuuuuuust about squeeze into size 8's, but every yet he has a growth spurt around October, and if he grows an inch, they'll be too small. But the next size up are 10's, and the waists are huge on him. Even with a belt, we're talking very 1990's. No place makes size 9's.
He hates clothes shopping, but in the past, I already knew his size, so I'd just pick things out and he'd give his opinion. Now, because even kids' sizes aren't standard as far as inseam and style, I'm going to have to drag him all over the place and get him to try on things to see if we can find brands/styles that will fit. I am NOT looking forward to the arguments this is going to cause in the next month or so.
Amazon has size 9's in Wranglers in a couple of styles. It's a hard size to find, for sure.
Amazon product
Amazon product

Edit, if you don't wanna pay $30 for kids jeans (and I sure wouldn't) sears brand has some size 9s under $10

His size doesn't exist.

Old Navy has adjustable waist jeans and other pants so a size ten can be taken in.

That’s what we do for our son as he’s taller than me, but super scrawny.

Amazon has size 9's in Wranglers in a couple of styles. It's a hard size to find, for sure.
Amazon product
Amazon product

Edit, if you don't wanna pay $30 for kids jeans (and I sure wouldn't) sears brand has some size 9s under $10
Our Sears closed, or I would have added that to my list. But yeah, I try not to spend a lot on clothes because he outgrows them so quickly. A few of the stores were having $10 jeans sales, which is what started all this.

Old Navy has adjustable waist jeans and other pants so a size ten can be taken in.

That’s what we do for our son as he’s taller than me, but super scrawny.
They do, and they're one of the places we've gone in the past. But because the waist can vary so much depending on the jean cut, he'll have to try them on first. :confused:

I'm the worst about this. I buy my son three of the same pairs of jeans on Amazon, all different sizes. Whichever ones don't fit get sent back. Whichever one does, get three more in different colors.

Our son accidentally wore our daughter’s skinny jeans to school one day. Omg I don’t know how he crammed himself into them.

I nearly peed when I picked him up that day. I still laugh thinking of it.

His size doesn't exist.

At least you’re shopping for a boy, we’re kinda complacent about clothing most of the time. Our girl was a real nightmare, basically if mom or grandma said they liked it (even when obviously just in the just pick SOMETHING voice) she would hate it. This went on for years. She’s much better now, but she almost didn’t make it to high school a few times.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fuckin Texas.

It's the least hot summer I can remember since I moved here 22 years ago. We've had rain literally almost daily since May. While it never gets below the 70s at night, a third of the time the high is still merely in the upper 80s. I can count time times it's been above 95 so far on one hand.

I've turned my thermostat UP. Usually I keep it at 74 or 75, but lately I've been rocking 80.

And I still just got the highest electricity bill I've ever gotten.

At least I'm not one of those poor schmucks who were buying electricity on the open market.

His size doesn't exist.

Do you have a thrift store in your area? Like Value Village up here? I think it's Savers in the US. You could get some new pants/jeans for dirt cheap and then see about getting new pairs again in October for the inevitable growth spurt.

My daughter just said one of the most spoiled, offensive, privileged things I could imagine. So while we had a very serious talk about how she needs to have more empathy and be less self-centered, inside my head I was screaming at her for being a spoiled brat. I’m so furious with her.

My daughter just said one of the most spoiled, offensive, privileged things I could imagine. So while we had a very serious talk about how she needs to have more empathy and be less self-centered, inside my head I was screaming at her for being a spoiled brat. I’m so furious with her.
I gotta ask. What did she say?
Post automatically merged:

Hey now, we have Value Village down here. And Goodwill, and Salvation Army, and so on.

--Patrick
Ah, i thought Value Village was only in Canada.

Tried asking a simple question on the Halifax Reddit page: an estimated cost for installing a hitch (for a bike rack) onto my car. Several people said something about a truck. One person said I can install it myself, which I frankly told them I wasn't willing to do.

Apparently that earned me a comment like "I hope you step on a Lego. The guy was just trying to help." Yeah, no, he really wasn't. When I make it clear that I don't have the mechanical aptitude to do any kind of car work, don't fucking push it. Talking about installing a hitch on a truck and telling me to do it myself is the near diametric opposite of what I was asking for.

I deleted the post and didn't really get a decent answer out of it. :/

figmentPez

Staff member
Instagram just added new controls to "limit sensitive content", and it defaults to being turned on. So if you don't want the content from people you follow to be censored by Instagram according to some unknown standard, then you should go into your account settings and turn it off.

You can find the setting under Settings -> Account -> Sensitive Content Control

It was just something tipping over on the counter next to it while I was doing dishes.

Best part is the expense of the fix. Basically have to buy a new stove.

It was just something tipping over on the counter next to it while I was doing dishes.

Best part is the expense of the fix. Basically have to buy a new stove.
I've never had a glass cooktop break, but HGTV disagrees--you can just replace the top according to this howto:

Back in May I signed my 11-year-old daughter up for a camp at her middle school for this week. Some of her friends also signed up, who are the same age. One of the events the camp advertised was a field trip to the local theater, where they would be watching “Space Jam” (I know, I know, but she wanted to do the camp for the other activities). The camp forced us to give permission for them to go to see a movie (no title specified) before this week even began. But hey, we figured Space Jam might suck but it’s not a big problem.

Today she tells me the counselors wrote a list of other movies on the wall and asked the group to vote on what they wanted to see. Space Jam lost by 2 votes to the new “Escape Room” film, and the counselors decided to send out an email tonight informing the parents. Not asking for permission; straight up telling us that they decided to switch the movie based on this vote.

(If you’re not clear on my issue, Space Jam is rated PG. Escape Room is rated PG-13, due to “violence, scary imagery, profanity, and scenes of death.”)

The best part? They said that if we don’t like it we can just keep our kids at home, but they won’t be refunding any of the money we already paid.

Looks like I’m going to be having a chat with her camp tomorrow morning.