[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Got my headset working again after clearing my browser cache, in case anyone wondered if that was resovled.

Had a belligerent customer earlier who kept yelling and swearing at me over something I couldn't change. I finally told him I would end the call if he continued speaking to me that way.

"I have freedom of speech, fucking bitch, I can say whatever you want."

Click. Bye, "bitch."

Friendly reminder that not only does freedom of speech not protect you from freedom of consequence, but customer service reps have the right to end the call. Company policy says we have to give a warning first. And I did. He chose to continue being an asshat.

Got my headset working again after clearing my browser cache, in case anyone wondered if that was resovled.

Had a belligerent customer earlier who kept yelling and swearing at me over something I couldn't change. I finally told him I would end the call if he continued speaking to me that way.

"I have freedom of speech, fucking bitch, I can say whatever you want."

Click. Bye, "bitch."

Friendly reminder that not only does freedom of speech not protect you from freedom of consequence, but customer service reps have the right to end the call. Company policy says we have to give a warning first. And I did. He chose to continue being an asshat.
"No, wait, I'm the only one with freedom of speech... come back...!"

"No, wait, I'm the only one with freedom of speech... come back...!"
Heh, I did get a little snarky at his freedom of speech thing. I basically said, "Well, _I_ have the freedom to end this call." Which he didn't take too kindly, naturally. He kept mouthing off as I hit the button to end the call.

Is this a minor rant? Yes. Does it feel like one? No, I want to rip someone's face off for wasting 6 hours of my life.

So, I found out my website's been down a couple days. I haven't made any code changes since 2018. So I go in take a look. Looks like a standard .Net SqlClient bug that only happens if the server is set a certain way. AWS must've changed something. I know workarounds.
None of them work. I spend 4 hours on it. Nothing happening. All of my workarounds work fine when I run them from my machine.

So I contact GoDaddy's tech support. They swear that everything is working on their end. I ask to escalate, and the guy basically says "I'll do it tomorrow if you're still having problems" and ends the chat, marking my ticket as "solved".

So, that pisses me off to no end and I give him zeroes on all the survey answers.

Then I start working very hard at tech supporting something myself where two servers are not under my control and I can't do the things I'd normally do to suss out the problem.

Turns out there were two problems.
#1: The aforementioned SqlClient bug, which my workarounds should have fixed. That's an AWS problem, not a GoDaddy one.
#2: GoDaddy was caching my fucking web.config. In normal IIS operations, you update web config, and IIS automatically dumps the app pool and recycles it, loading the new web.config. Guess where all of my changes happen to fix problem #1? If you guessed the web config, you get a prize. The only way I could find this out was writing code to expose the parts of the web config to the public internet, and then hitting that 'secret' page on my website to see what changed when I made changes.

So, I could have fixed this problem in 5 minutes, but instead spent 6 hours on it, because I didn't realize GoDaddy's servers weren't behaving in a standard fashion. So, to avoid the problem in the future, I hard coded all the shit in code that *should* be in web.config, because Fuck You GoDaddy.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had more problems with them, and was charged more by them. But it was the Station Owner's money, not mine, and he said to use them, so that was that. For my personal website, I get my registration through the same company that does my hosting, which is a much smaller, local company.

I worked for them for 9 years, you have no idea. An old work buddy is in Ft St John and saw a Telus contractor setting up a tent for the night yesterday. It was 5°C last night.

They can't even pay scabs properly.
Shitty part is how many people are having their lawns (mine included) ripped up in places because Telus is installing fiber throughout the neighborhood. I'm not a fucking Telus customer. GET OFF MY LAWN. STOP FUCKING MY POWER.

Shitty part is how many people are having their lawns (mine included) ripped up in places because Telus is installing fiber throughout the neighborhood. I'm not a fucking Telus customer. GET OFF MY LAWN. STOP FUCKING MY POWER.
Easement sucks sometimes. Honestly even though I hate Telus, I still use their Fiber service because Shaw is just awful in townhouse complexes due to the node sharing. I'd rather have slow fiber than fast cable.

Dude, Shaw basically gave me the shirt off their back to get me to switch my mobile to them. I went from paying about 200 bucks for both internet and cell from Shaw and Koodo to paying 80 bucks for both through Shaw. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I want to give a big shout out to my pre-teen daughter, who managed to put me into the foulest mood I’ve felt in a while. Everything was the worst this morning, everything was a fucking argument (no, you can’t wear fucking sandals to school - it’s explicitly against the dress code and you know it), and her life is sooooo difficult.

Ugh. Goddamn drama queen.

Tomorrow is my last day, and there is no part of me willing to write a "well, it's been swell, but now that the swelling has gone down" goodbye email. That's not a big deal. What bothers me is that it highlights once again how I can spend fourteen years with a group of people, but if you asked if I made any friends, I couldn't honestly say yes. People I get along with and like a lot? Sure. Someone I'm going to spend time with outside the office? Not a chance. No time for that sort of thing.

Dave

Staff member
Tomorrow is my last day, and there is no part of me willing to write a "well, it's been swell, but now that the swelling has gone down" goodbye email. That's not a big deal. What bothers me is that it highlights once again how I can spend fourteen years with a group of people, but if you asked if I made any friends, I couldn't honestly say yes. People I get along with and like a lot? Sure. Someone I'm going to spend time with outside the office? Not a chance. No time for that sort of thing.
Same, dude. I had one friend at Bellevue University and since he left two years ago, he hasn't texted or returned calls. There's a few guys that I'm still in a fantasy league with, but I wouldn't call them friends. It's kind of disheartening.

Same, dude. I had one friend at Bellevue University and since he left two years ago, he hasn't texted or returned calls. There's a few guys that I'm still in a fantasy league with, but I wouldn't call them friends. It's kind of disheartening.
I mean, it's a symptom of my situation. I barely have time to hang out with my family sometimes. The idea that I'm going to go hang out with other people just seems preposterous.

I don't think I'd call any of my coworkers my friends, and that's the way I prefer it.

And probably how some of them prefer it too...

A guest who stays with us frequently usually brings his dog with him when he stays. Our pet policy, which he is well aware of by now, is to never leave the dog unattended in the room.
Jackass leaves the dog in the room which begins to bark consistently. We start getting noise complaints. I call the guest and ask him if he's with the dog and he lies and says "yes". After more complaints I confirm for myself that the guest is not actually on property and call him back. I tell him that not only is he breaking a rule he is aware of, but if we have to compensate someone by comping them anything we have his signed permission to charge him for the lost revenue. He then insists that as he is a "vip" that we will make an exception from him. I tell him that even VIPs are not exempt from our noise ordinance rules. Guy then flips out on me. This is the asshole that stays with us frequently at the cheapest rate he can find.

Meanwhile we just said goodbye to a famous actress and her family who stayed with us for nearly 4 months straight while her house was being redone. She stayed in one of the nicest rooms, payed full price for it, and we never had a single complaint from her or because of her. Not only that... but they cleaned the rooms and made the beds before they left. We are a hotel, that is clearly what we do for you, but no. This famous actress, who probably has enough money in the world to be spoiled rotten, made her own bed on her final day with us.

Perceived Self-Importance is the bane of customer service.

Last edited:
Meanwhile we just said goodbye to a famous actress and her family who stayed with us for nearly 4 months straight while her house was being redone. She stayed in one of the nicest rooms, payed full price for it, and we never had a single complaint from her or because of her. Not only that... but they cleaned the rooms and made the beds before they left. We are a hotel, that is clearly what we do for you, but no. This famous actress, who probably has enough money in the world to be spoiled rotten, made her own bed on her final day with us.
Quick question, when a guest makes their bed before leaving, you guys still have to pull it all apart to change the sheets and stuff, right? Because my wife liked to make the bed before leaving a hotel room, and I had to convince her it's pointless because the housekeepers are just going to dump everything on the ground so that they can change the sheets.

Quick question, when a guest makes their bed before leaving, you guys still have to pull it all apart to change the sheets and stuff, right? Because my wife liked to make the bed before leaving a hotel room, and I had to convince her it's pointless because the housekeepers are just going to dump everything on the ground so that they can change the sheets.
Most hotels I've ever been clearly indicate they want you to leave it off - often in a bunch by the towels on the ground.
Any place that doesn't change sheets between guests needs to be closed down or only accept unvaccinated idiots willing to gamble their life and health.

@Bubble181 - your friends at the local Chandler AZ facility have done it again. Package has been sitting at the local FedEx facility since Thursday, and they have yet to get around to actually delivering it.

The problem, I believe, is last-mile "contractors" that are really making FedEx look bad - okay, look worse than it actually is, but still.

Oh
Oh yeah it’s completely pointless. We are absolutely obligated to tear the bed apart to wash and replace all the linen. But the thought behind making the bed is still noteworthy.

@Bubble181 - your friends at the local Chandler AZ facility have done it again. Package has been sitting at the local FedEx facility since Thursday, and they have yet to get around to actually delivering it.

The problem, I believe, is last-mile "contractors" that are really making FedEx look bad - okay, look worse than it actually is, but still.
I'm on vacation, but booh

Dominos here sucks.
Pizza was overcooked, and they sent me cinnamon bread (also overcooked) instead of garlic bread. It's nice that you can complain on the order tracker, and they'll immediately comp you a free pizza. But what good is that if you realize you don't like their pizza?

Oh

Oh yeah it’s completely pointless. We are absolutely obligated to tear the bed apart to wash and replace all the linen. But the thought behind making the bed is still noteworthy.
Well, that's good to know. I always make my bed and keep the room neat. I don't like housekeeping walking in on a mess.

Well, that's good to know. I always make my bed and keep the room neat. I don't like housekeeping walking in on a mess.
There's a difference between leaving it easy to clean up, and "cleaning" or "putting everything in order" as much as you can.
Make sure stuff is where it belongs (so they don't think you stole the hairdryer until they look under the bed or w/e), put all the rubbish in the bin, put all the towels together and all the bed linen, clean up after yourself. Don't try to make it look like it's clean and all ready to go - in most places that just means the staff might have to double check to make sure they didn't accidentally miss something on the checklist because it looks almost good enough.
Remaking the bed so it looks unslept-in is how you get "I came into a clean room and there was lipstick/pubes/hair in the bed/sink/bible/bathrobe."

Man. The fucking Oculus Quest 2 doesn't have any right to be as good as it is. I have a valve index ($1k) and I have a quest 2 ($300) that I bought yesterday for the heck of it. I think the quest 2 is better than the Index. It's wireless, all of my steam games I can stream to it, the only thing it's worse at is the controllers, valves knuckles controllers are the clear winner, but when it comes to the headset itself, I think the Quest is superior. Now, the quest does have a smaller FOV than the index, but the freedom of having no wires trumps all of that. Like man, I know FB owns Oculus, but they already have all of my info anyway, so whatever. If I would have known how good the quest 2 was before I bought the index, I never would have bought it and would have went with the quest it's so much better. I'm kinda jaded that I spent all that money on the Index and the Quest delivers the same, if not slightly better product /rant

Man. The fucking Oculus Quest 2 doesn't have any right to be as good as it is. I have a valve index ($1k) and I have a quest 2 ($300) that I bought yesterday for the heck of it. I think the quest 2 is better than the Index. It's wireless, all of my steam games I can stream to it, the only thing it's worse at is the controllers, valves knuckles controllers are the clear winner, but when it comes to the headset itself, I think the Quest is superior. Now, the quest does have a smaller FOV than the index, but the freedom of having no wires trumps all of that. Like man, I know FB owns Oculus, but they already have all of my info anyway, so whatever. If I would have known how good the quest 2 was before I bought the index, I never would have bought it and would have went with the quest it's so much better. I'm kinda jaded that I spent all that money on the Index and the Quest delivers the same, if not slightly better product /rant
The only think stopping me from picking up a quest 2 is Facebook. I wish literally anyone else made it

The only think stopping me from picking up a quest 2 is Facebook. I wish literally anyone else made it
Yeah, I feel like that's literally the only downside, but given the chance between the two (index/quest 2) I would have bought the quest and not the index and saved a lot of money

I know the ability to have these up is largely dependent on where your VR is located but I found they helped immensely for getting the headset cable up and out of the way.

Amazon product

I then added these minus the rings to be able to remove the cable quickly when I'm done with VR for the day.

Amazon product