[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

One of my night auditors no-call/no-showed tonight. He called the hotel several hours after his shift started. At that point I was just happy to hear from him because I was worried when he didn't answer any calls from us. He overslept. I love the guy but he's severely screwing things up right now because he's working a second job during the day as well as taking professional baking courses. He's young and all but no one can deal with the amount of sleep deprivation he's putting himself through.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm allergic to walnuts. It used to be a very mild allergy, one I didn't worry about much, but recently it's been so bad that I can't have anything that's even been made in the same factory as anything with walnuts is processed. I don't have a life threatening reaction, but I do have diarrhea if I eat the wrong thing. Yesterday I learned that "produced in a facility that also processes tree nuts" is optional on labels. Companies only have to put allergen warnings on products if the allergen is an ingredient. Ghirardelli chocolate chips don't put that warning on their label, despite the fact that they're made in a factory that also makes stuff with tree nuts. Why do I know this now? Because I found out the hard way.

So, I feel terrible, and I've got a whole batch of cookies I can't eat.

I'm allergic to walnuts. It used to be a very mild allergy, one I didn't worry about much, but recently it's been so bad that I can't have anything that's even been made in the same factory as anything with walnuts is processed. I don't have a life threatening reaction, but I do have diarrhea if I eat the wrong thing. Yesterday I learned that "produced in a facility that also processes tree nuts" is optional on labels. Companies only have to put allergen warnings on products if the allergen is an ingredient. Ghirardelli chocolate chips don't put that warning on their label, despite the fact that they're made in a factory that also makes stuff with tree nuts. Why do I know this now? Because I found out the hard way.

So, I feel terrible, and I've got a whole batch of cookies I can't eat.
Move to Europe, it's not optional here.
Also, hugs.

We edited a text for a Taiwanese client. In one place, they wrote, "we offer special products that have special features for our clients".

We changed it to "we offer distinctive products that have special features for our clients".

They wrote back, asking, "why did you put 'distinctive' here?"

So I wrote a long explanation about how, stylistically speaking, it is usually better to avoid too much repetition in English, and how this differs from Chinese (which is comparatively resistant to repetition), and how this is purely a preferential change that doesn't really alter the meaning of the text, but it improves the text's readability, and the client can change it back to "special" if they really want to, but I would recommend against it.

And they wrote back, asking, "no, what does 'distinctive' mean?"

And I'm all like "FFS it means special."

And they're all like, "oh ok thanks."

And I'm like "do you guys not have access to Google in your office?"

GasBandit

Staff member
Company wide announcements should be sent BCC, change my mind. Debate them in a different thread. eff eff ess
That'd be great. But our company has an exchange list called "Entire Company" and they never BCC it... and even worse, the hyper anal accounting lady abuses it at the slightest provocation.

To: Entire Company
Subject: Paper Clips from break room
Message: WHO TOOK THE BOX OF PAPER CLIPS FROM THE TABLE IN THE BREAK ROOM PLEASE RETURN THEM TO ME ASAP THANK YOU

That'd be great. But our company has an exchange list called "Entire Company" and they never BCC it... and even worse, the hyper anal accounting lady abuses it at the slightest provocation.

To: Entire Company
Subject: Paper Clips from break room
Message: WHO TOOK THE BOX OF PAPER CLIPS FROM THE TABLE IN THE BREAK ROOM PLEASE RETURN THEM TO ME ASAP THANK YOU
Ahahaha I'm sorry, that sounds terrible, but from outside that is kind of hilarious.

Someone in the apartments above me is not a good listener. Due to drain problems, they were explicitly told NOT to run water today. Someone did, and I woke up to a flooded apartment. Thank goodness I don't have carpet. Only damage was a wet floor and freshly clean laundry that was now soaked through.

I've got a couple of trash cans doubling as buckets, and they're sufficient. For now, at least.

Still dripping, but much slower. Buckets weren't full. Maintenance guys imminent, and landlord already on scene. So all things considered, I'm doing okay this morning.

Someone in the apartments above me is not a good listener. Due to drain problems, they were explicitly told NOT to run water today. Someone did, and I woke up to a flooded apartment. Thank goodness I don't have carpet. Only damage was a wet floor and freshly clean laundry that was now soaked through.

I've got a couple of trash cans doubling as buckets, and they're sufficient. For now, at least.
Noooo what the ffff... I'm so sorry

Reminds me of the time I was at a B&B apartment next to the one apartment that was told NOT to keep the air conditioning all night...they kept it on all night, and GUESS who had to clean up the mess with his own complimentary towel?!

IN other news some jamoke pickpocketed my ID, my Work card, and my Transit card. Not my credit cards thankfully but UGH.

Friend of mine on Facebook says they're done dating men. I replied with this, a freaking joke (but it's also true). Apparently that goes against Facebook's community standards? The hell? I immediately reported that I disagreed with the the claim, but no, it's still against their "standards."

There's apparently an oversight board. Screw it, I just submitted an appeal and filled in the questionnaire. It wasn't even a good or original joke (I've made the joke multiple times). It's the principle of the matter. It's ridiculous that my dumb joke was flagged while hundreds, if not thousands, of legitimately harmful content is okay by the same "standards." (This applies to pretty much every other social media platform. The same problems are everywhere.)

Facebook.jpg

Purely from the surface-level meaning of the text, yeah I suppose there could be a case to be made that this counts as hate speech. Lumping a whole group of people into one category and then saying a derogatory thing about them fits the literal definition of hate speech.

In context, though, and given that it's obviously tongue-in-cheek, the people who consider this to be hate speech are dumb. I don't blame you.

Friend of mine on Facebook says they're done dating men. I replied with this, a freaking joke (but it's also true). Apparently that goes against Facebook's community standards? The hell? I immediately reported that I disagreed with the the claim, but no, it's still against their "standards."

There's apparently an oversight board. Screw it, I just submitted an appeal and filled in the questionnaire. It wasn't even a good or original joke (I've made the joke multiple times). It's the principle of the matter. It's ridiculous that my dumb joke was flagged while hundreds, if not thousands, of legitimately harmful content is okay by the same "standards." (This applies to pretty much every other social media platform. The same problems are everywhere.)

View attachment 39274
I suspect in response to the bad press around 'the Facebook Files' they are going harder than normal on things. Sorry :/

You know what I rather like? I like how the DeepL translator automatically appends the text "Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)" to the end of every translation it does.

You know what I don't like? I don't like it when translations handed in by our translators have that text appended to the end of it.

I mean, the guy couldn't even be bothered to delete that line from the work he handed in. I feel like my intelligence has been insulted, and I am deeply offended on a personal level.

You know what I rather like? I like how the DeepL translator automatically appends the text "Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)" to the end of every translation it does.

You know what I don't like? I don't like it when translations handed in by our translators have that text appended to the end of it.

I mean, the guy couldn't even be bothered to delete that line from the work he handed in. I feel like my intelligence has been insulted, and I am deeply offended on a personal level.
Maybe he doesn't know what it says and he's much worse than you think

Anybody else ever look at some of your co-workers and think "if this is the caliber of people we hire, what does that say about me?"

Specifically in this instance, dunno who knows what I do, but I get presented terms via sales people and build their quotes for them basically, as well as order their quotes once signed. Which is bad enough since the role literally exists because they don't trust them to do it on their own. You could argue it's so they can focus on selling but the amount of leg work I need to do to get things like price, quantity, product, and start date out of these people is insane so I hazard it's more of the former.

Anyway, that's irrelevant other than to understand how stupid it is to come to me for this next request.

A sales person put in a ticket with his own product support team, we have several different individual products and each has their own support team(as an aside I was hired by this one before we were acquired and I was moved under the parent companies umbrella so I do have a lot of knowledge regarding the specific product) to get his Zoom account bumped up to professional so he could hold longer meetings. It's dumb but not entirely unfounded, I get the logic, support supports so sure. Except where I lose the plot is that support person then comes to me and asks what he should do to answer the ticket...instead of going to internal IT or HR or asking his direct reports or literally almost anyone else.

Anybody else ever look at some of your co-workers and think "if this is the caliber of people we hire, what does that say about me?"

Specifically in this instance, dunno who knows what I do, but I get presented terms via sales people and build their quotes for them basically, as well as order their quotes once signed. Which is bad enough since the role literally exists because they don't trust them to do it on their own. You could argue it's so they can focus on selling but the amount of leg work I need to do to get things like price, quantity, product, and start date out of these people is insane so I hazard it's more of the former.

Anyway, that's irrelevant other than to understand how stupid it is to come to me for this next request.

A sales person put in a ticket with his own product support team, we have several different individual products and each has their own support team(as an aside I was hired by this one before we were acquired and I was moved under the parent companies umbrella so I do have a lot of knowledge regarding the specific product) to get his Zoom account bumped up to professional so he could hold longer meetings. It's dumb but not entirely unfounded, I get the logic, support supports so sure. Except where I lose the plot is that support person then comes to me and asks what he should do to answer the ticket...instead of going to internal IT or HR or asking his direct reports or literally almost anyone else.
I have a mental image of Lou Costello from Who's On First. "WHAT ARE YOU ASKING ME FOR???"

I have a mental image of Lou Costello from Who's On First. "WHAT ARE YOU ASKING ME FOR???"

I'm too nice for my own good and directed him to the right people via a link to our internal SOP that tells him exactly what to do. I know this likely is the cause of the issue in the first place since he knows he'll get the right answer out of me instead of doing the grunt work himself by using THE PRODUCT HE WORKS FOR, a documentation software whose corporate version for that product team is very well maintained and easily provides the sop to follow in these instances. There was a shift a few years ago when we were bought and a direct line can be drawn between those that came from that product and use it efficiently vs the larger company as a whole that ignores it and uses sharepoint and can't find anything in it so this becomes everyday.

It's gotten to the point where I say "I did a search for x in [our product], here's the link to the SOP you'll need." I should start not linking the SOP and making them find it themselves via the search terms I used rather than handing it to them as a way to passively train them. But at that point my brain goes, "Be efficient, you're already there, just give it to him."

Last edited:
I work with this one dude who drives me bananas and our boss blatantly favours him and even credits him for my work sometimes in larger division calls. I do truly wonder what it says about me that he is what is favoured and that I continue to bust my ass. I do wonder why I bother sometimes. The pay mostly. My local team is awesome too.

He at least is honest enough to correct her when she credits him for my work.

Reactions: Cat
I hadn't planned on putting a reminder about the raise in writing, but upon further review it's probably a very good idea to make sure I actually GET it.

Today was work from the office day. Each time someone works from the office for the first time in a week, the have to come into my office area and get their COVID tests done. Basically 3 cubes around mine are the testing sites. So there will be a testor and testee in each cube.

I had some important SFTP jobs fail, and I was working with the vendor to see what he did wrong.

While these other six people who are sitting 2 feet apart were literally talking at the level of a fucking scream.

The vendor is used to hearing my back ground noise being from home. And said that my kids are loud. "KIDS HELL, THESE ARE MY COWORKERS!"

I work with this one dude who drives me bananas and our boss blatantly favours him and even credits him for my work sometimes in larger division calls. I do truly wonder what it says about me that he is what is favoured and that I continue to bust my ass. I do wonder why I bother sometimes. The pay mostly. My local team is awesome too.

He at least is honest enough to correct her when she credits him for my work.
sooo relatable. Eventually I snapped and walked out

Very minor rant:
I like to eat my Asian food with chopsticks (Chinese and Japanese of course..not Thai). So please, Local Chinese Takeout, cut your meat pieces into bite-sizes chunks. I have a big mouth, and I still gotta sometimes take a piece of your sweet and sour chicken in several bites

Very minor rant:
I like to eat my Asian food with chopsticks (Chinese and Japanese of course..not Thai). So please, Local Chinese Takeout, cut your meat pieces into bite-sizes chunks. I have a big mouth, and I still gotta sometimes take a piece of your sweet and sour chicken in several bites
Oof, my brother had a redneckish co-worker that always asked for a knife before he got his plate of food at a good Chinese restaurant. His Vietnamese friend always gave that guy shit for insulting the cook.

Oof, my brother had a redneckish co-worker that always asked for a knife before he got his plate of food at a good Chinese restaurant. His Vietnamese friend always gave that guy shit for insulting the cook.
Could've been intentionally antagonistic, I remember hearing some hacky comedians do a bit about chinese restaurants not having knives