[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
Also 0ns input lag on CRTs, unlike LCDs.

--Patrick
That was a big thing, too. I remember the bad old days of trying to hook my old game consoles up to my first LCD TVs and wondering why I was suddenly so bad at street fighter. It was because all my reactions were subject to the CRT's lag.

That was a big thing, too. I remember the bad old days of trying to hook my old game consoles up to my first LCD TVs and wondering why I was suddenly so bad at street fighter. It was because all my reactions were subject to the CRT's lag.
*the LCD's lag.

Yeah, there are competitive gamer people who still use CRTs JUST for this reason.

--Patrick

Reactions: Cat
I thought it was the other way around. Like I'm pretty sure I've heard the only people who use CRTs anymore are people who play super smash on the gamecube

I've spent over an hour on hold with OtterBox trying to get a replacement case. The hold music is a 15sec loop and every 30min or so I get disconnected. I've listened to that stupid loop over 300 times so far. The portal joke about smooth jazz is now my nightmare.

There wouldn't be a problem if my phone (s20fe) was on the warranty form.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've spent over an hour on hold with OtterBox trying to get a replacement case. The hold music is a 15sec loop and every 30min or so I get disconnected. I've listened to that stupid loop over 300 times so far. The portal joke about smooth jazz is now my nightmare.

There wouldn't be a problem if my phone (s20fe) was on the warranty form.
Oh man, I feel you. I've had to call into samsung business and cisco support so many times... Samsung business is also a 15 second loop, and it sounds just... so... morose. At least cisco is a whole song... but no part of the song is in any way auditorially distinct from any other part.

Open DoorDash and notice there's a French bistro up the road I've never tried. I put a $6.00 tip because it's drizzling outside, and I wait.
It takes 15 minutes for the Bistro to acknowledge the order...a bad sign. I watch as two separate dashers drive to the restaurant, wait 5-10 minutes, and then cancel their participation. I don't blame them. Then, my order is canceled.

So, I order Papa Johns at 7pm. Fuck it. Again, pre-tip. By this point, I'm hungry, but not hangry. Papa Johns says an hour for delivery, which I can't complain about if they're busy. So, I sit on the couch, do some crochet, and watch the tracker. Tracker goes from "baking" to "delivered" in about one nanosecond. Of course, there's nothing out there. So I call them. They say they don't have any drivers tonight, so they passed it off to a DoorDash driver.

I wait another half an hour. No pizza. So I call the place up and they offer to make me a pizza to replace it and give it to another dasher. No ma'am. I'm coming for that bitch myself. They stayed open 10 minutes past closing to get me my pizza, so kudos to them. Finally got to eat my pizza at 9:30pm. I was definitely hangry by then, so I put some food in me before continuing my vendetta against the DoorDash driver.

Because this was a Papa John's order, I can't report it in the DoorDash app. But if you dig sufficiently, you can find a toll free number nestled deep in the faqs page on the DoorDash site. I call it. I get shunted from one representative to a "vip" representative. I guess you get that when you order DoorDash twice a day, almost every day, for 4 months. Or, maybe they just told me that to make me feel special. Don't know, don't care.

See, even though my transaction happened on the Papa Johns website, DoorDash has a record of the hand-off. And I have the guy's name--and so do they.
1639543668530.png

So the VIP rep calls the dasher, who (of course) swears up and down that he delivered my pizza. My couch sits 18 inches from the front door. I hear people walking on the sidewalk several feet away (and opened my door a few times in anticipation, surprising passers-by). He absolutely did not. Or if he did, he delivered it somewhere else. The DoorDash rep offered several things to make it right to me, and in the end, I told her "I had to go pick up my own pizza. I deserve at least a refund of the delivery fee and the tip I paid the driver." I didn't yell and scream and demand the guy get fired, but I did request an incident report.

Our local Wendy's had a sign saying they were closing at 7:30pm due to a worker shortage. They are hiring for $15 an hour + meals. It might need to go higher.

Related: The Panda Express the next town over is hiring a manager for 100k. The faculty in my department were all sad-laughing about quitting their professor jobs to make more money at Panda Express.

We have a client who asked us to do a translation for their end client. So let's say, for example, that the end client is a car company and our client is a PR firm. We translated the text given to us and sent it back to the PR firm client, who would (at least in theory) then send it on to the end client, the car company. Except someone at the PR firm decided to make some terrible edits to our translation, which resulted in the car company being unsatisfied with the translation, which led to the PR firm asking us why the translation was so bad, and I'm just here going, "This has nothing to do with us you pillocks."

Some of the client's edits are hilarious. Let's say the car company's called Acme Cars. Their logo on their website has their company name in all caps and in one word, ie ACMECARS. However, the phrase "Acme Cars" still appears all over their official website, including their "About Us" page, their "Company History" page, their "Contact Us" page, etc. But the PR firm somehow decided that the version seen in the logo is the proper one so they changed all instances of Acme Cars to ACMECARS. I said this is like if we did a translation for Mcdonald's and somehow decided that their company name is just "M".

We have a client who asked us to do a translation for their end client. So let's say, for example, that the end client is a car company and our client is a PR firm. We translated the text given to us and sent it back to the PR firm client, who would (at least in theory) then send it on to the end client, the car company. Except someone at the PR firm decided to make some terrible edits to our translation, which resulted in the car company being unsatisfied with the translation, which led to the PR firm asking us why the translation was so bad, and I'm just here going, "This has nothing to do with us you pillocks."

Some of the client's edits are hilarious. Let's say the car company's called Acme Cars. Their logo on their website has their company name in all caps and in one word, ie ACMECARS. However, the phrase "Acme Cars" still appears all over their official website, including their "About Us" page, their "Company History" page, their "Contact Us" page, etc. But the PR firm somehow decided that the version seen in the logo is the proper one so they changed all instances of Acme Cars to ACMECARS. I said this is like if we did a translation for Mcdonald's and somehow decided that their company name is just "M".
I will never understand why companies bother to hire a professional translation company and then still change the translation themselves.

I will never understand why companies bother to hire a professional translation company and then still change the translation themselves.
This is yet another real-life example of what happens when people Do Their Own Research and so decide to ignore the experts.

—Patrick

Ever since I quit weed a few weeks ago (I was sure I was using way too much too often and it was affecting my life negatively) all that impotent rage at the state of things has come flooding back time like three. I'm so angry all the time. I know it takes like 2 months to fully get the THC out of your system and allow normal production of serotonin again but until that point, I'm randomly shouting in absolute rage at the dumbest lamest shit.

Glad I'm by myself so I don't inflict this shit on anyone.

Tuesday:
Get a call from a number I don't know. Let it go to voicemail, doesn't leave a message. Probably a spam call. Think nothing of it.

Wednesday morning:
Get 4 texts in less than two hours from a 5 digit number, asking me to join a video call from [Doctor sounding place] and no other info except a link. Am annoyed because it keeps interrupting my Hawkeye viewing. Again, probably spam, but I Google the name. It belong to an acupuncture/medicinal marijuana place. Needles and pot? DEFINITELY not meant for me! I call the number twice to yell at whomever is spamming me and/or let them know someone is spamming with their info, no one answers the phone, even though both the voicemail and Google say they should be open. Block 5-digit number, live my life.

THIS MORNING, 8 AM, ONE OF THE FEW DAYS OF THE YEAR I GET TO SLEEP IN:
I get an automated call from Tuesday's number, looking for Deborah Something for her appointment with Dr. B-whatever. In my half-awake state I recognize the doctor's unusual name from my Google search. Fuck these guys; I already tried calling them twice.

Live Receptionist:"Hi, is this Deborah Something?"
Me: "No, I'm sorry, it's not."
R: "Can I speak to Deborah please?"
M: "No, I mean, there is no Deborah here. I don't know a Deborah."
R: "Oh. This is the number we have on file."
M: "This has been my number for over a decade. I'm really, really sure there's no Deborah."
R: "Oh, sorry about that. Thanks."

I SHIT YOU NOT, ONE FUCKING MINUTE LATER:
Same Receptionist: "Hi, can I speak to Deborah please?"
Me: "....if you keep dialing the same wrong number, this call isn't going to get any more 'Deborah' than it was before."
R: "...oh. We'll remove this number from our files."
M: "PLEASE. DO."

Are they sampling the merchandise over at this office????

Tuesday:
Get a call from a number I don't know. Let it go to voicemail, doesn't leave a message. Probably a spam call. Think nothing of it.

Wednesday morning:
Get 4 texts in less than two hours from a 5 digit number, asking me to join a video call from [Doctor sounding place] and no other info except a link. Am annoyed because it keeps interrupting my Hawkeye viewing. Again, probably spam, but I Google the name. It belong to an acupuncture/medicinal marijuana place. Needles and pot? DEFINITELY not meant for me! I call the number twice to yell at whomever is spamming me and/or let them know someone is spamming with their info, no one answers the phone, even though both the voicemail and Google say they should be open. Block 5-digit number, live my life.

THIS MORNING, 8 AM, ONE OF THE FEW DAYS OF THE YEAR I GET TO SLEEP IN:
I get an automated call from Tuesday's number, looking for Deborah Something for her appointment with Dr. B-whatever. In my half-awake state I recognize the doctor's unusual name from my Google search. Fuck these guys; I already tried calling them twice.

Live Receptionist:"Hi, is this Deborah Something?"
Me: "No, I'm sorry, it's not."
R: "Can I speak to Deborah please?"
M: "No, I mean, there is no Deborah here. I don't know a Deborah."
R: "Oh. This is the number we have on file."
M: "This has been my number for over a decade. I'm really, really sure there's no Deborah."
R: "Oh, sorry about that. Thanks."

I SHIT YOU NOT, ONE FUCKING MINUTE LATER:
Same Receptionist: "Hi, can I speak to Deborah please?"
Me: "....if you keep dialing the same wrong number, this call isn't going to get any more 'Deborah' than it was before."
R: "...oh. We'll remove this number from our files."
M: "PLEASE. DO."

Are they sampling the merchandise over at this office????
I put my phone on airplane mode every night before I go to sleep. People get concerned I might miss something important but its been 5+ years and I never have. Conversely, I have missed things that would've woken me up that weren't urgent at all.

I put my phone on airplane mode every night before I go to sleep. People get concerned I might miss something important but its been 5+ years and I never have. Conversely, I have missed things that would've woken me up that weren't urgent at all.
on the flipside, I havent and thus didnt miss the call that let me see my father and say goodbye before he died. but thats the exception not the rule.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I know Android has a couple of useful features: going into 'do not disturb' on a scheduled time, and having starred contacts being able to ring through 'do not disturb' mode.

I've been having these seemingly random allergy attacks. My *eyes would water and my sinuses would slam shut.

Finally figured out that it is one of the expensive tins of tobacco I purchased for my pipe.

This stuff is too expensive to toss out.

Last edited:
I've been having these seemingly random allergy attacks. My would water and my sinuses would slam shut.

Finally figured out that it is one of the expensive tins of tobacco I purchased for my pipe.

This stuff is too expensive to toss out.
I'm surprised none of my aftershaves or shave soaps cause me any issues. Vitalis, OTOH, made me feel like I was having a heart attack.

Grabbed a bottle of Dew on my way through the checkout yesterday.
Paused to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that I did not grab the diet by accident.
Got to the car and found I successfully did not grab diet Dew but did mistakenly grab Dew Zero.
xisx.jpg

"Why would they change diet? Diet is diet!"

--Patrick