[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Dave

Staff member
Well, wonder no more. Positive test get. Light positive, but positive nonetheless.

So far, COVID seems to be a scratchy throat, some congestion and some light coughing. More an annoyance than anything. For me, anyway. I am fucking BLESSED.
Your story mirrors mine to some degree. Wife has it and I know I'm going to be next since we were all kissy face the day before she tested. Now every minor tick is like, "OMFG COVID!"

Scratchy throat? COVID! Light headed? COVID! I coughed because I inhaled water instead of drinking it? COVID! It's like I'm a living WebMD search.

Okay, this one could go in the full-on rant, but it's minor because I figured it out - no thanks to FedEx (sorry, @Bubble181).

The setup: I decided that I was going to do some decorating here in the office by getting a cap rack to display the teams that call the Valley home during spring training. In essence, a Cactus League cap display. As it turns out, I was missing three caps: Texas, Cincinnati, and Kansas City. So, I order them via walmart.com, and boom - two of them show up in the past week.

Something funny happened to the last one, though: it made it to FedEx's Dallas distribution center in Hutchins, Texas - after no tracking movement for a few days. After doing a few peeks, I discovered yesterday that it was suddenly westbound and down toward Arizona, and it was going to show up on my doorstep today.

And it did - sort of.

The box was a bit odd - a yellow DHL box, of all things, that looked like it was repurposed. I didn't notice it right away, but it had a packing label on the front that didn't match anything I thought was connected to Fanatics. I kinda shrugged, thinking that it might have been through a re-seller, and cut around the label to open the box.

Inside... was most definitely NOT a baseball cap. It was some sort of electronic device from Zebra Technologies that is used for inventory scanning. At least, that's what I'm assuming it was, based on whoever it was that sent the item. There was an invoice inside saying that the device wouldn't boot up.

I chose not to unpack the bubble wrap, but I did notice that the outside had a sticker marked "FXG Relabel" with a bar code that matched the tracking number for my package. Below it was a tiny little address label that had my name and address on in.

I noticed on the packing label that there was a tracking number on there. For craps and giggles, I ran that tracking number. It was delivered at 1:32 PM CDT (11:32 my time) to an address in Buffalo Grove, Illinois. I looked at the tracking history, and noticed something:

3:12 AM HUTCHINS, TX Shipment exception Barcode label unreadable and replaced

I did a second look at my package's tracking number, and found... the exact same line:

Care to guess what happened?

I did explain this to the guy at FedEx over the phone, and they are going to send someone out to get the whatever-it-is and get it delivered to the right place. I can just imagine the face of the guy at Zebra Tech's receiving department when they pick up the package Monday morning, open it and realize they have a baseball cap instead of a warranty return item.

EDIT: After doing some poking around, the ultimate irony is this - the item that got unintentionally shipped to me is likely some sort of barcode scanner, used by companies like Peak-Ryzex to control inventory. Sounds like FedEx's facility in Dallas needs a few - if not the operators behind them.

Last edited:
Your story mirrors mine to some degree. Wife has it and I know I'm going to be next since we were all kissy face the day before she tested. Now every minor tick is like, "OMFG COVID!"

Scratchy throat? COVID! Light headed? COVID! I coughed because I inhaled water instead of drinking it? COVID! It's like I'm a living WebMD search.
I think we're pretty much out of the woods now. Still some coughing, spittimg and a runny nose, but the worst bit for me was that my back REALLY hurt yesterday. Quick soak in the hot tub fixed that, though. Also had a brief bout of fever Friday night, with chills bad enough that I had difficulty standing up, but that was it. My wife had more mucus early (so some breathing issues) and never any fever, although she slept a lot for two days.

So... A cold with a bit of soreness and sleep. I hope your COVID is at least that easy, dude.

Okay, this one could go in the full-on rant, but it's minor because I figured it out - no thanks to FedEx (sorry, @Bubble181).

The setup: I decided that I was going to do some decorating here in the office by getting a cap rack to display the teams that call the Valley home during spring training. In essence, a Cactus League cap display. As it turns out, I was missing three caps: Texas, Cincinnati, and Kansas City. So, I order them via walmart.com, and boom - two of them show up in the past week.

Something funny happened to the last one, though: it made it to FedEx's Dallas distribution center in Hutchins, Texas - after no tracking movement for a few days. After doing a few peeks, I discovered yesterday that it was suddenly westbound and down toward Arizona, and it was going to show up on my doorstep today.

And it did - sort of.

The box was a bit odd - a yellow DHL box, of all things, that looked like it was repurposed. I didn't notice it right away, but it had a packing label on the front that didn't match anything I thought was connected to Fanatics. I kinda shrugged, thinking that it might have been through a re-seller, and cut around the label to open the box.

Inside... was most definitely NOT a baseball cap. It was some sort of electronic device from Zebra Technologies that is used for inventory scanning. At least, that's what I'm assuming it was, based on whoever it was that sent the item. There was an invoice inside saying that the device wouldn't boot up.

I chose not to unpack the bubble wrap, but I did notice that the outside had a sticker marked "FXG Relabel" with a bar code that matched the tracking number for my package. Below it was a tiny little address label that had my name and address on in.

I noticed on the packing label that there was a tracking number on there. For craps and giggles, I ran that tracking number. It was delivered at 1:32 PM CDT (11:32 my time) to an address in Buffalo Grove, Illinois. I looked at the tracking history, and noticed something:

I did a second look at my package's tracking number, and found... the exact same line:

Care to guess what happened?

I did explain this to the guy at FedEx over the phone, and they are going to send someone out to get the whatever-it-is and get it delivered to the right place. I can just imagine the face of the guy at Zebra Tech's receiving department when they pick up the package Monday morning, open it and realize they have a baseball cap instead of a warranty return item.

EDIT: After doing some poking around, the ultimate irony is this - the item that got unintentionally shipped to me is likely some sort of barcode scanner, used by companies like Peak-Ryzex to control inventory. Sounds like FedEx's facility in Dallas needs a few - if not the operators behind them.

All of the barcode scanners I use at work for our inventory are made by Zebra

Dave

Staff member
I think we're pretty much out of the woods now. Still some coughing, spittimg and a runny nose, but the worst bit for me was that my back REALLY hurt yesterday. Quick soak in the hot tub fixed that, though. Also had a brief bout of fever Friday night, with chills bad enough that I had difficulty standing up, but that was it. My wife had more mucus early (so some breathing issues) and never any fever, although she slept a lot for two days.

So... A cold with a bit of soreness and sleep. I hope your COVID is at least that easy, dude.
Uh…my back has been killing me. I could hardly move today. See what I mean? COVID!

Uh…my back has been killing me. I could hardly move today. See what I mean? COVID!
Not to freak you out, so you're very hypochondriac, don't read:
When I had covid, aches and pains were the first symptom I had of it. I was exhausted, feverish, but the agony was unbelievable, I couldn't be not aching everywhere all the time, for like 3 days. So it might well be the 'vid. Hoping it's not.

I am fairly certain I have a flare of my arthritis in my eye. Bleh. As in a flare if my inflammatory disease in my eye not having actual joint disease in my eye, but still: bleh. It hurts, light hurts and my vision is not great in that eye.

Going to be a long week.

I really won the genetic lottery eh?

Most FedEx handheld scanners are Zebra's, and the printers we give to customers as well.
Personally, I think the hardware sucks, and the software perhaps even more so. The big fixed scanners are another brand, though.
And yeah, FedEx employees in warehouses....Not like they have time to correct mistakes or think twice, sadly. They do still get pee breaks, and we don't employ children, so hey, employer of the year (in the sector)!

Dave

Staff member
Not to freak you out, so you're very hypochondriac, don't read:
When I had covid, aches and pains were the first symptom I had of it. I was exhausted, feverish, but the agony was unbelievable, I couldn't be not aching everywhere all the time, for like 3 days. So it might well be the 'vid. Hoping it's not.
I’m not normally a hypochondriac. But this is like if you see ants crawling around suddenly you feel like they are all over you. Same kind of psychosomatic bullshit.

An update: I contacted Zebra directly, and they're going to send me a shipping label so that I can forward the item directly to them.

No idea as to where my hat ended up.

An update: I contacted Zebra directly, and they're going to send me a shipping label so that I can forward the item directly to them.

No idea as to where my hat ended up.
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

I really can't tell you, haven't got a clue

So, my mother passed back in December ‘21, following her wishes, she was cremated and we’ve been waiting on the ashes to come back. Found out over the weekend that my step-sister, for some unknown reason, got the ashes at an unknown date. The question about when she got them hasn’t been answered yet. Something I had been hoping was that we’d be able to do something on Mother’s Day, just over a week ago now, she apparently had the remains but DIDN’T THINK TO LET ANYONE KNOW THAT SHE HAD THEM. Im not sure I can ever talk to that woman now without going absolutely ballistic over this whole thing. I’m just seething pissed at her. There are three things that still need to be turned over to me (we’ve been trying not to overly change things around that house to keep my step-father from getting upset, and none of this is his fault, I do care for him, and unfortunately he is into stages of dementia/Alzheimer’s so there is all that to deal with) and that may be the last that I have to do with her. That’s how pissed I am right now.

So, my mother passed back in December ‘21, following her wishes, she was cremated and we’ve been waiting on the ashes to come back. Found out over the weekend that my step-sister, for some unknown reason, got the ashes at an unknown date. The question about when she got them hasn’t been answered yet. Something I had been hoping was that we’d be able to do something on Mother’s Day, just over a week ago now, she apparently had the remains but DIDN’T THINK TO LET ANYONE KNOW THAT SHE HAD THEM. Im not sure I can ever talk to that woman now without going absolutely ballistic over this whole thing. I’m just seething pissed at her. There are three things that still need to be turned over to me (we’ve been trying not to overly change things around that house to keep my step-father from getting upset, and none of this is his fault, I do care for him, and unfortunately he is into stages of dementia/Alzheimer’s so there is all that to deal with) and that may be the last that I have to do with her. That’s how pissed I am right now.
If it's any consolation, your sister's house has undoubtedly attracted evil spirits by now.

Fuck.

I have an interview for job #1 this afternoon. I have an interview for job #2 at a different school tomorrow morning at 9am.

The person interviewing me for job #1 today never sent me the Google Meet info. Naturally I emailed her to request it. Or so I thought. I just emailed person #2 (with explicit comments about how excited I am for job #1) about getting a link for an interview with person #1 because I mixed them up in my head.

So, to recap: still no link for interview #1, completely made an ass of myself to the person running interview #2 tomorrow.

This is going well.

Closing accounts, closing subscriptions. I feel like I'm erasing my dad.
You are NOT erasing him. There is everything you remember of him, everything that he taught you (good and bad), and hopefully lots of photos to help with those memories. At some time in our lives we all go through this to one degree or another. I’m still dealing with things from my mom… 6 months after.

Many of us here have had to deal with stuff like this, and I’m sure any of us will lend an ear or tell you how we made it through the same times in our lives. Don’t be afraid or worried to reach out to those around you or even here.

Closing accounts, closing subscriptions. I feel like I'm erasing my dad.
In working for a telecommunications company (selling TV, internet, mobile, etc services), some of the hardest calls I have to take are people calling because a loved one passed away. I'm really glad my company doesn't ask for any death certificate or anything if the account is being cancelled. We take the person at their word.

But man, the calls are not easy sometimes. I once spoke with a woman in her I think 30s or 40s whose husband died suddenly from an accident. We talked for well over an hour because EVERYTHING was in his name (home services, mobile) and a lot of that is a long process to move into someone else's name. She never divulged what happened and it wasn't my business to ask. But she hinted at him having some accident in the backyard. She said something like "He was doing something stupid. If it were just an inch or two different, he'd be alive and we'd be laughing about it."

I really need teachers to be clear with what their issues are. We are doing standardized testing for 4th & 5th grade students right now using the laptops they have. I just got a call that said "Every system in this room is reading the test questions out." That is a HUGE deal and could be a major testing violation causing the tests of all the students to be thrown out and redone.

By the time I got there, it was "One student's system is reading the questions out and they have oral administration, so just need a pair of headphones."

If they'd just told me that to begin with, I could have just brought a pair of headphones instead of nearly sprinting across the school and then having to go back and get them.

I really need teachers to be clear with what their issues are. We are doing standardized testing for 4th & 5th grade students right now using the laptops they have. I just got a call that said "Every system in this room is reading the test questions out." That is a HUGE deal and could be a major testing violation causing the tests of all the students to be thrown out and redone.

By the time I got there, it was "One student's system is reading the questions out and they have oral administration, so just need a pair of headphones."

If they'd just told me that to begin with, I could have just brought a pair of headphones instead of nearly sprinting across the school and then having to go back and get them.
I have this all the time, and customers don't seem to understand why this is so strictly UNhelpful and likely to make things take longer.
And telling people "you're a dumbass, if you'd told me this the first time I'd have fixed it in 5 minutes instead of spending 2 hours" is apparently not appreciated :whistling:

We do a translation for a bank.

What the source text said: Different currencies will be charged at different rates.

What the translator wrote: Different curries will be charged at different rates.

How the reviewer (me) reacted: Dammit now I'm hungry.

We do a translation for a bank.

What the source text said: Different currencies will be charged at different rates.

What the translator wrote: Different curries will be charged at different rates.

How the reviewer (me) reacted: Dammit now I'm hungry.
Could you confirm that a yellow curry charges slower than a red one? Or does the type of USB cable matter more than the color?

Three of my students are attached at the hip, chatting constantly throughout the day. They just received the scores for their final exams, and they are going through it with a fine-tooth comb to find inconsistencies. Then they've been emailing me (9 times in 25 minutes), each claiming that their score on question #whatever should go up because they think their answer is just as good as their friends’ answers (spoiler alert: they are not just as good).

So I just let them know that teachers make mistakes when grading essays and written exams, but sometimes those mistakes make scores go up just as often as they go down. So I will start lowering their friend's scores when they catch a mistake where one of them got more credit than they should have. Or, they could stop complaining about .5% of a grade here and there.

Let's see if I get more emails.

Last edited:
Life's been frustrating. If it's not the news in Texas making me feel like crap it's just life in general and work. I've been prescribed an APAP machine to help me with my sleep apnea that I've had for years and did very little to solve before, thinking I could fix it with better health choices that I never managed to accomplish. But the machine is stuck in back order and isn't likely to get to me. The doctor has recommended me sleeping on my side, which helps sometimes but other times I wake up miserable. This means I often head into work already tired which makes the night long and miserable. I also found out that they are considering making me work Sunday night due to the holiday, despite the fact that I got Sarah to agree to allowing my daughter Hailey to stay over that night. If I end up working I'll have to cancel the overnight. Just stress after stress.

Dave

Staff member
It's not a secret that my wife and I don't sleep in the same bed. She has back issues that prevent her from being able to lie down to sleep. Well, since I'm on nights and staying up, I fixed up the bed for her. Made sure there were lots of pillows so she could prop up, made sure the temp was right, etc. No, we can't do this when I'm in there. When I said I put down a lot of pillows I mean it. I'm not sure she even really touched the mattress.

Anyway, this morning I asked how she slept and she said, "You bedding stinks." Since I started working at a biorefinery, I have acquired certain odors that cling to me, my clothes, etc. Apparently, I don't notice them any more but she sure did.

So my bedding is in the laundry and I won't be able to sleep until they get done and I've made my bed again.

And lest people think I don't shower after work I absolutely do. Most nights/days when I get home. But not every time. So I guess I need to up my laundry game.