[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I have a coworker (who is 100% native). He's a member so that obviously colours his biases. He's completely against Black Lives Matters. He constantly rants about how the country is siding with criminals and such over police and by now you all know the type. Now, at the same time, he's aghast and appalled at what's happening in North Dakota at the protests, saying that things are going too far there. He's completely unable to see any correlation between the two.

I don't know why Natives are protesting the pipeline in the first place. My people love painting themselves as eco-warriors when it suits them, but the ugly truth is that we're just as wasteful and negligent to the environment as anyone else could be. We'll happily protest if it's against the 'white man' because he's always the enemy. But many tribes and reserves don't even have recycling programs and few initiatives for green energy programs despite not having to deal with the red tape of provincial beaucracy.

Don't get me wrong I do give a shit about the planet, but this seems to me like when this protest is done that the Anishnaabek will go home and not change a damn thing about their own lifestyle to reduce waste, because they lull themselves into complacency thinking that one protest did the trick. Call me cynical, but living on a reservation for fifteen years gave me the insight that we're just as flawed as everyone else and susceptible to hypocritical behaviors.

I don't know why Natives are protesting the pipeline in the first place. My people love painting themselves as eco-warriors when it suits them, but the ugly truth is that we're just as wasteful and negligent to the environment as anyone else could be. We'll happily protest if it's against the 'white man' because he's always the enemy. But many tribes and reserves don't even have recycling programs and few initiatives for green energy programs despite not having to deal with the red tape of provincial beaucracy.

Don't get me wrong I do give a shit about the planet, but this seems to me like when this protest is done that the Anishnaabek will go home and not change a damn thing about their own lifestyle to reduce waste, because they lull themselves into complacency thinking that one protest did the trick. Call me cynical, but living on a reservation for fifteen years gave me the insight that we're just as flawed as everyone else and susceptible to hypocritical behaviors.
the general answer i seem to get is its going to go by a couple sources of freshwater etc. i would assume a project of this size would have been done by the books and there should have been multiple chances to bring their grievances up with multiple regulatory agencies when the pipeline was in the planning phase, in addition every project needs what is called an environmental impact statement, which is a document done by a professional environmental scientist that states all the possible issues the project might cause and how they plan to deal and remedy them.

Walked into my classroom this morning, ready to teach and excited to get going after a week long break.

Heaters not working? Check.
Internet down? Check.
All copy machines jammed? Check.
Phone system down? Check.
Personal printer jammed? Check.

I'm amazed we have electricity for the lights.

Last edited:
Walked into my classroom this morning, ready to teach and excited to get going after a week long break.

Heaters not working? Check.
Internet down? Check.
All copy machines jammed? Check.
Phone system down? Check.
Personal printer jammed? Check.

I'm amazed we have electricity for the lights.
You don't. The place is obviously lit by your glowing optimism.

GasBandit

Staff member
Owner: "Send me the Q3 and Q4 orders for Dr Pepper"

Me: "Dr Pepper hasn't run anything with us since August 2014."

Owner, 15 minutes later: "I need a total revenue by station for DP in 2016. First thing on Wednesday. Thanks."

Me: (wonders how to word next e-mail so that it doesn't sound like an insufferable smartass)

Station 1: $0
Station 2: $0
Station 1: $0

Should make it explicit and is more clear to a person who looks at data all day exactly what you meant when you said "they haven't done anything since 2014"

I bought a really nice set of colour pencils on the weekend and was setting up to draw. I went to get the pencils that I needed for it and my brand new box of not cheap pencils is one short....and it's one that I needed for the project. I'm really upset and the kids thought it was funny.

Before I stressed myself out too badly, I put them away and will use another set.

A client comes to us with a translation request, translating from Thai into English. Because we don't have any Thai translators available at the moment, we outsource this contract to a translation company in Thailand. I just got their completed English document. To say that it is terrible would be an understatement. Plugging the Thai into Google Translate results in a more comprehensible translation than this.

If anyone's curious, here's a sample mildly encrypted with Rot13:

Jvgu gehfgvat vafhenapr erdhrfg pbafvqrerq nf n cneg bs guvf cbyvpl, sbe orvat pbzcrafngvba bs vafhenapr srrf juvpu nffherq jvyy cnl haqre beqref, abezny pbaqvgvbaf naq erthyngvbaf, nterrzrag, rkpyhfvba naq nccraqvkrf bs guvf vafhenapr cbyvpl, pbzcnal pbapyhqrf n pbagenpg jvgu nffherq nf sbyybjf:

This pisses me off because I actually take pride in my work. I make sure that the translations I deliver are the best they can be. Sure, I make mistakes at times, but I make sure they're the exception rather than the norm, and that they're never as egregious as this. For a translation company to deliver this shit and still try to call themselves a professional translation company? Fuck off.

Oh, and guess whose job it's going to be to fix this mess?

Based on the ridiculous nonsense that is keeping my kids focused on schoolwork right now, I find myself wishing that school calendars would get rearranged to allow for the entire month between Thanksgiving and Christmas off.

I say this as my daughter is sitting in her room writing a 4 paragraph book report at the absolute last minute because she had over a month to read a book and didn't even bother to do that until two days ago. :facepalm:

Of course, she's in 5th grade so I don't care if she gets a zero, but SHE cares about disappointing her teacher, so I can just look at her disapprovingly.

My son is just completely hopeless right now, worse than usual. :/

Based on the ridiculous nonsense that is keeping my kids focused on schoolwork right now, I find myself wishing that school calendars would get rearranged to allow for the entire month between Thanksgiving and Christmas off.

I say this as my daughter is sitting in her room writing a 4 paragraph book report at the absolute last minute because she had over a month to read a book and didn't even bother to do that until two days ago. :facepalm:

Of course, she's in 5th grade so I don't care if she gets a zero, but SHE cares about disappointing her teacher, so I can just look at her disapprovingly.

My son is just completely hopeless right now, worse than usual. :/
they should honestly go to the college calendar where you get two months off in summer in order to get all of December off and part of January.

they should honestly go to the college calendar where you get two months off in summer in order to get all of December off and part of January.
Not all colleges do that though. Mine basically had the same schedule my kids do.

GasBandit

Staff member
Huh, I went back to verify, and New Mexico Tech has apparently changed since I attended, and they now give students the last two weeks of December and the first two weeks of January off, outside of registration and other such non-class activities. (Texas A&M does this too).

Here's my rant. I never saved my Swype keyboard so now that I have a new phone, I have to teach Swype all of my habits and words again.

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's my rant. I never saved my Swype keyboard so now that I have a new phone, I have to teach Swype all of my habits and words again.
I totally feel you on that one. It's been the same for me with voice recognition on my LG3. I had my Droid 1 for so long, it learned to interpret all my slurred speech and mumbling with impressive accuracy. Apparently that's the ONLY thing google doesn't store about you on the damn cloud, because new phone means I have to train the voice recognition all over again, which often leads to monkey golf simple federal buyback.

Same deal for me. Giving the default/Google keyboard another try on this new phone. So far I'm actually very pleasantly surprised, their swype mode is very accurate.

As someone who loves the occasional junkfood, I was a fan of Totinos Party Pizzas. They were cheap, they were fast to make, and they tasted about as good as frozen mini pizzas under $2 a box could taste.

But the new square pizzas are an abomination. Bring back the round ones!