[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I've only ever been "fired" from one job (my contract was sent back to the temp agency). I worked at a book distribution facility, helping ship out second-hand books via various different shipping methods. This was in 01, when Amazon was starting to build up traction. I thought it was an ideal job for me.

In retrospect, it was more like letting a crew of voracious stoners with tapeworms work at a pizzaria. I was let go because my numbers shipped were about half of everyone else's, because I kept finding interesting books to read.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Just posting anonymous to ensure that there's no chance anything gets traced to me.

I applied for a job a few weeks agoago. They had me come in and take a test. I thought I killed it. Like, I felt like I knew basically everything. I email the recruiter as I haven't heard back after a week, and he said they're still looking but the one guy at the company said it looked "ok but not great." I honestly don't know why he said that and I wish I could go over the test with him in person because I'm that confident in how I did.

:mad::mad::mad:

Had to stop by the credit union this morning to wire the new earnest money to the new title company for the new offer we made on a house. The credit union is 1.5 miles from my house, on a 45 mph five-lane arterial. I had a panic attack making the left turn into their parking lot and have been suffering ever since. I took some time to recover, got the wire transfer taken care of, bought some groceries, walked across the street to pick up a prescription, got back to the car and... was too scared to drive home. I could drive around that parking lot all I wanted, but pulling back onto the road made my heart start pounding, dumped even more adrenaline into my system, my hands went tingly again, and I had to pull over after a block. I parked my car in a little residential neighborhood and had to take an Uber home. Now, when my wife is done with work, we have to walk back to where the car is parked and drive it home. Or, y'know, take an Uber again. I hate this. It makes me feel broken. It's driving. I've been doing it for 21+ years, and now all of a sudden I can't handle a 3 mile round trip. Now I'm starting to have panic attacks anytime I have to turn left.

Had to stop by the credit union this morning to wire the new earnest money to the new title company for the new offer we made on a house. The credit union is 1.5 miles from my house, on a 45 mph five-lane arterial. I had a panic attack making the left turn into their parking lot and have been suffering ever since. I took some time to recover, got the wire transfer taken care of, bought some groceries, walked across the street to pick up a prescription, got back to the car and... was too scared to drive home. I could drive around that parking lot all I wanted, but pulling back onto the road made my heart start pounding, dumped even more adrenaline into my system, my hands went tingly again, and I had to pull over after a block. I parked my car in a little residential neighborhood and had to take an Uber home. Now, when my wife is done with work, we have to walk back to where the car is parked and drive it home. Or, y'know, take an Uber again. I hate this. It makes me feel broken. It's driving. I've been doing it for 21+ years, and now all of a sudden I can't handle a 3 mile round trip. Now I'm starting to have panic attacks anytime I have to turn left.
For what it's worth, you're not alone. I was in a relatively bad single-vehicle accident on the highway almost a year ago. Totaled the car, I walked away with a broken thumb nail, a small scratch on the top on my right foot, and an impressive seat-belt-shaped bruise. City driving for me has become OK again since then. Highway driving (a necessity to get to work that starts tomorrow), far far far far less so. Hyperventilating, increased heart rate, tunnel vision - and that's in the passenger seat, during the day, during ideal conditions (night and rain are significantly worse), and it's the best it's been so far. I technically can drive on the highway, but only super short distances and it takes a long time to get over it. For me, it's gotten less horrendous over time (and with meds!), but it got worse first. I second the feeling broken feeling. As you say, it's driving, I've been doing it for decades, WTF?

I hope it gets better for you.

My mother drove daily for years, had a pretty bad car accident (with my father driving right behind her in another car, with the kids split over the two cars) and saw her crash into a tree and roll over. Everyone was fine, but my mother hasn't been able to drive since - not even short distances. She can get in a car but even starting the engine completely paralyzes her. As a passenger, she's fine.

Ever since the things that happened in the last few months, I live in fear. Every time someone in my family leaves the house, every time someone calls me or every time someone doesn't answer a call, I am afraid that something happened to them. I know that this will stop eventually, but when?

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
So, despite my station having changed formats from Sports to Classic Rock, I was just informed that we will, actually, be carrying the Dallas Cowboys games again this year. This is a surprise to me.

The first game broadcast is thursday.

I suppose I should be grateful I got any advanced warning at all, at this point.

Boy, I sure hope I can find a board operator for it.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go do a couple week's worth of preparation in 2 days.

fade

Staff member
This company. If you recall, we escaped the reaper by wooing some investors at the last minute. Since then, they have poured on the reassurances that that was it. We're good for a while now. Except for, apparently, the part where they announced several layoffs this morning. But they tell us those are surely the last.

EDIT: I think we're below 30 employees now. And still taking on work from major companies, so none of us can even breathe.

This company. If you recall, we escaped the reaper by wooing some investors at the last minute. Since then, they have poured on the reassurances that that was it. We're good for a while now. Except for, apparently, the part where they announced several layoffs this morning. But they tell us those are surely the last.

EDIT: I think we're below 30 employees now. And still taking on work from major companies, so none of us can even breathe.
"Investors"

--Patrick

My bike got stolen. From the alley next to my house. Despite being a 12 year old piece of shit, it was the only bike that was taken; other bikes in the same alley were left for reasons I am still unsure about.

I have a backup at my grandparents' that I can take, and I've already told the police everything I can, but it's still sucky, given that it's my only mode of transportation aside from public transit.

My bike got stolen. From the alley next to my house. Despite being a 12 year old piece of shit, it was the only bike that was taken; other bikes in the same alley were left for reasons I am still unsure about.

I have a backup at my grandparents' that I can take, and I've already told the police everything I can, but it's still sucky, given that it's my only mode of transportation aside from public transit.
Did you happen to buy it through a local bike shop? They'd likely have the frame serial number on file.

How did you have it locked up?[DOUBLEPOST=1501894104,1501893995][/DOUBLEPOST]Living in Toronto taught me the hard way of how to lock up my bike. Lost one whole bike. Another thief stole my front wheel, seat, and ONE pedal.

"Soon I will have enough parts to build an entire bike of my own! AHAHAHAAAHAHAAaahaahahaa... <skulks away>"

--Patrick
You joke, but that's exactly what Toronto bike thieves would do. If they couldn't take the whole bike, they'd snatch whatever parts they could grab quickly. Front wheels with a quick release lever were big targets. I know from my own experience in mechanics it takes seconds to pop one off. Which is why I DON'T have quick release levers on my bike.

Sharing this video partly because I own the graphic novel promoted in the video, but also because Igor Kent was a fascinating guy. Even if he was the most infamous bicycle thief in Toronto.

My mom still had the original proof of purchase, so I got the frame number, yeah.
Y'all are a rarely-found gem. The number of people that I encounter who have no idea that bikes even HAVE frame numbers... and so few people keep receipts for ANY of their purchases, which makes finding serial numbers for items from burglaries/entering autos just SUCH a treat.

So many crimes could be solved with a little bit of writing by owners, when they get items.

I love Pokemon so very much and I want Pokemon shirts, but they are super hard to find that fit in a way that is appropriate to leave the house in. They're technically my size through the waist and shoulders....

So because I'm not a kid, a dude or an A cup, no Poke-clothes for me. We went to Walmart tonight to get a few things and on the way to the cast I saw some strange looking t shirts with Pikachu, Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur on them. I got all excited. They even looked big enough to address my concerns. They were strangely cut on the bottom though, but they were on clearance for $7 so I didn't question it.

I got home and put it on.....now I understand why they were $7. They have a slit cut up the side of the shirt an inch or two under where my bra strap is and then this weird shirt tail in the front and back. WTF?!? So while it does fit nicely, this is for sure yet another Pokemon shirt that I will never leave the house in.

I love Pokemon so very much and I want Pokemon shirts, but they are super hard to find that fit in a way that is appropriate to leave the house in. They're technically my size through the waist and shoulders....

So because I'm not a kid, a dude or an A cup, no Poke-clothes for me. We went to Walmart tonight to get a few things and on the way to the cast I saw some strange looking t shirts with Pikachu, Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur on them. I got all excited. They even looked big enough to address my concerns. They were strangely cut on the bottom though, but they were on clearance for $7 so I didn't question it.

I got home and put it on.....now I understand why they were $7. They have a slit cut up the side of the shirt an inch or two under where my bra strap is and then this weird shirt tail in the front and back. WTF?!? So while it does fit nicely, this is for sure yet another Pokemon shirt that I will never leave the house in.
You live up north, put a tank or "form fitting" (like a under-armor or other spandex type) under it and it works.

Dave

Staff member
Spent $55 a few days ago to upgrade the board to the latest version of XenForo. Today they announced the release of Xf 2.0...

$&*#?#!! Volunteer job. This is not five hours a month. I spent five hours yesterday and will spend another five at least today if not twice that.

Each month I get angrier and angrier that I was lied to by the person who was unloading it on me. I would love to quit and just throw it at them. Not professional in any way, but tempting.

Spent $55 a few days ago to upgrade the board to the latest version of XenForo. Today they announced the release of Xf 2.0...
I bet a polite and well-worded e-mail will either get you a refund or get a $55 credit applied toward the purchase of XF 2.0. I typically find most developers that are small enough to still have human interaction outside of a call center are pretty good about such things.