[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I'm mildly impressed that my translator has consistently written "center meters" instead of "centimeters" throughout a 3000-word document. And this is pretty much the only error he's made. He can write near-perfect English, but he doesn't know how to spell "centimeters", and needs to write it out phonetically.

I'm mildly impressed that my translator has consistently written "center meters" instead of "centimeters" throughout a 3000-word document. And this is pretty much the only error he's made. He can write near-perfect English, but he doesn't know how to spell "centimeters", and needs to write it out phonetically.
He's translating with a Philadelphian accent.

I fucking hate it when students try to lie and throw me under the bus. I tried to help a student by grading something that was due weeks ago, and they told their parents that they had actually turned it in on time but I was just not grading it until now. Fucking liar.

Guess what, dude? There's a time stamp on Google Classroom that shows when it was turned in. Explain that one to your parents now.

I remember lying like that as a kid. The absolute horror of having to make decision to come clean to my dad and risk that cold shitty treatment that punctuated most of our relationship or lie and put it off even for a day was easy.

It’s been over a year since I’ve had a real conversation with someone other than family. Not including forced interactions over the computer for work, and you guys.
I don’t really have friends, and it’s starting to wear me down. My work won’t go in person again until September at the earliest. Even then, there will be maybe one other person in my department that will be coming back as well, and I don’t even work directly with them. Everyone else is planning to stay remote. I have a feeling I’ll just be a ghost there too. I don’t think it helped that I wrecked my car about the time my wife started going back to work, and I spent probably 3 months with no way to go anywhere. And I live in the middle of nowhere. At least a 20 minute drive to even to closest gas station.
My wife talked to me about it today, so I know it’s showing. She wants to be supportive but what can you do. I’m 42, I’m not gonna go out and make new friends.
Maybe this is what it is, and I need to deal with it. I guess, I’m just starting to accept that it’ll never be what it was.
Whoever said introverts would prosper through all this can go fuck themselves. It just showed how alone we really are.

We are picking up the senior laptops starting next Monday and running all week. Found out yesterday as I was leaving that no one had sent an email out to tell the seniors or the teachers this was happening. :facepalm:

Quickly one was put out and we instantly got pushback. "But my class had planned a party for the time we are scheduled to come!" Then bring them down, get the devices turned in and THEN go have your party. Or just have your kids come turn them in early/late, we won't know or care. As long as we have the devices and fees are paid before graduation, everything's fine.

Interested in the Sandman casting today. Made the mistake of reading comments. I expected the pushback on pronouns, because words are hard for some people. Forgot about the ones who rant about "all these characters were originally white - why aren't they still?". Every time, I type up and delete the same thing.

"No kidding. And it's everywhere. Just look at Jesus. How do these morons keep casting white men in this role?"

Me and my new car nearly got smushed on the way home from my treatment.

This idiot screeches to a halt in front of me. on the old highway near us. It’s a winding road and visibility is terrible.

I am driving normally so I can safely stop behind them.

The other idiot is speeding and doesn’t realise right away and nearly smushed the polka-mobile and I.

Why did Chucklefuck the first slam their brakes on? A rabbit was sitting in the road. They did nothing to encourage it.

My horn scared it and it moved.

I love animals, but you don’t kill cars full of people for one that is on a highway. Wtf people!!

Me and my new car nearly got smushed on the way home from my treatment.

This idiot screeches to a halt in front of me. on the old highway near us. It’s a winding road and visibility is terrible.

I am driving normally so I can safely stop behind them.

The other idiot is speeding and doesn’t realise right away and nearly smushed the polka-mobile and I.

Why did Chucklefuck the first slam their brakes on? A rabbit was sitting in the road. They did nothing to encourage it.

My horn scared it and it moved.

I love animals, but you don’t kill cars full of people for one that is on a highway. Wtf people!!
People constantly stop on the highway hereto let geese cross and it's infuriating.

To continue before we were so rudely interrupted...

You know what? Now I'm pissed. Fuck your links. They don't prove discrimination, they prove 11-12% of voters are too lazy or incompetent to get their shit together when the slightest inconvenience is involved. Frankly, if you ask me, it's too easy to vote. The stupid, the lazy, the incompetent - they all have overwhelming numbers and they each have the same voice in government as the others. This is the tyranny of the imbecilic. If it's too much of a hassle for someone to get their goddamned driver's license or equivalent valid picture ID, then they don't need to be voting. They need to be getting their shit together. Fuck. If I had my way, you would have to present a god damned Purple Heart or higher commendation to vote. There are too many shit-head no-brained worthless detritus pulling levers every November.

And if what I just said offends you, go gargle some colon and set yourself on fire.
So, when I clicked on this thread it didn't go to latest like it usually does, instead it took me to the first post, this one. And I thought wow, that seems really off for Gas, but then I saw it was from 2011, a full ten years ago.

It made me think on how political beliefs change, and how ten years ago I was a tried and true liberal centrist. My how times change.

Dave

Staff member
So, when I clicked on this thread it didn't go to latest like it usually does, instead it took me to the first post, this one. And I thought wow, that seems really off for Gas, but then I saw it was from 2011, a full ten years ago.

It made me think on how political beliefs change, and how ten years ago I was a tried and true liberal centrist. My how times change.
The worst part about Gas's post isn't that he's wrong, necessarily, it's just that stupid people DID vote. In droves.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, but when you get one group of stupid people who vote but stop the other side's stupid people from voting you get an imbalance. We need to rebalance the stupid on both sides again.

The worst part about Gas's post isn't that he's wrong, necessarily, it's just that stupid people DID vote. In droves.
Except that isn't what the problem is, not really. The problem is systemic, the entire deck is stacked for one outcome. Once you say "only certain votes should count" you open the way for corruption and manipulation. Which doesn't mean it isn't already being manipulated, but further manipulation is still just as bad.

Look at all the voter restriction laws the gop is forcing through. 2011 Gas got his wish, it's getting harder to vote.

Except that isn't what the problem is, not really. The problem is systemic, the entire deck is stacked for one outcome. Once you say "only certain votes should count" you open the way for corruption and manipulation. Which doesn't mean it isn't already being manipulated, but further manipulation is still just as bad.

Look at all the voter restriction laws the gop is forcing through. 2011 Gas got his wish, it's getting harder to vote.
Unfortunately, it isn't based on intelligence or worth but melanin count.

GasBandit

Staff member
2011 Gas got his wish, it's getting harder to vote.
Not harder for stupid people, though. They still want stupid people voting, way more so than intelligent people.

And I still agree with
If it's too much of a hassle for someone to get their goddamned driver's license or equivalent valid picture ID, then they don't need to be voting. They need to be getting their shit together.
... with the amendment that the government is not doing enough to make it possible to get an ID - I believe it was not long after that that they started quietly closing down urban DMV offices to make it overly onerous for certain demographics to get IDs. When you start making it intentionally hard to access government services, you're breaking the Social Contract.

Now they're not passing voter ID laws, they're closing polling places in gerrymandered-to-be-blue districts and then attacking absentee ballots. It's an order of magnitude even more egregious and even further out of step with legitimacy (and my political views of either today OR 10 years ago)

My usual assertion - that enfranchisement would come from military service - would have had Biden still winning by 4%

Unfortunately, it isn't based on intelligence or worth but melanin count.
It's all the same. To a racist, black people have lower intelligence and lower worth. To the wealthy the poor are obviously poor because they're just inferior. To a privileged person living a comfortable life the idea that a government ID could be a barrier to all but the most lazy seems like a simple truth. It's all layers of control.

And I still agree with
... with the amendment that the government is not doing enough to make it possible to get an ID -
You can't say people just need to get their shit together in the same breath as admitting the government is doing their damnedest to ensure lower shit density.

Not harder for stupid people, though. They still want stupid people voting, way more so than intelligent people.

And I still agree with
... with the amendment that the government is not doing enough to make it possible to get an ID - I believe it was not long after that that they started quietly closing down urban DMV offices to make it overly onerous for certain demographics to get IDs. When you start making it intentionally hard to access government services, you're breaking the Social Contract.

Now they're not passing voter ID laws, they're closing polling places in gerrymandered-to-be-blue districts and then attacking absentee ballots. It's an order of magnitude even more egregious and even further out of step with legitimacy (and my political views of either today OR 10 years ago)
Funny thing: since April, it's supposedly been possible to renew your driver's license or state ID via a website portal at the Ohio BMV. This was mandated by voter backed law passed sometime back, designed to make it easier to get these IDs you may need to vote... but surprise surprise, the portal is designed to lead you around in circles and it doesn't seem like you can actually DO either of these things online some three months later. So instead of spending 5 minutes online getting a new ID, I had to show up at 8:30 am when it opened and -still- wait two hours in line at the only BMV serving the West Side of Columbus.

Welcome to Ohio. We're at the forefront of voter suppression.

We do a translation for a client, a medical company. The client comes back with feedback.

Client: "Hematoma" isn't a real word, please change this to "bruises".

Me: Um... yes it is. (sends a bunch of links about the word "hematoma", starting with the Wikipedia article)

Client: Oh, huh, we learned something today, thanks.

Me: WHAT KIND OF MEDICAL COMPANY ARE YOU????!?!?!??!!

We do a translation for a client, a medical company. The client comes back with feedback.

Client: "Hematoma" isn't a real word, please change this to "bruises".

Me: Um... yes it is. (sends a bunch of links about the word "hematoma", starting with the Wikipedia article)

Client: Oh, huh, we learned something today, thanks.

Me: WHAT KIND OF MEDICAL COMPANY ARE YOU????!?!?!??!!
On the bright side, they're not hemaphobic.