[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
How many programming labor hours did we sell on the big project of the year? 893.

When did it first start showing up on my schedule to program? 4 weeks before our deadline to be 100% done.

Was I also expected to work on other projects during those weeks? Yes.

So explain to me how I'm supposed to fit 22 weeks of labor into 4 weeks, plus work on multiple other things as well?

Ooh ooh! I think I remember this one from math class! If an orchestra of 40 players takes one hour to play a symphony, how long does it take 80 players.... Hmmmm... Carry the one... Cross the x.... Dot the j.... You need.... 7 software engineers! :awesome:

Last edited:
How many programming labor hours did we sell on the big project of the year? 893.

When did it first start showing up on my schedule to program? 4 weeks before our deadline to be 100% done.

So explain to me how I'm supposed to fit 22 weeks of labor into 4 weeks, plus work on multiple other things as well?
img-1235-1-1547761237.jpg

Work smarter, not harder!

Apparently, you need to invent Pym Particles and a SpaceTime GPS, shrink into the Quantum Realm, travel back to March and do the work on the side.

Dave

Staff member
So fucking tired. But I can't sleep. I'm on nights still until my Thursday shift, which will be my last for a month. But I haven't been sleeping well during the day like I normally do. It's 10:30 pm and I could go to bed and sleep all night. But I know that would be incredibly dumb considering I'd have to turn around and reorient my sleep pattern again in a day. So I'm trying to suffer through.

So fucking tired. But I can't sleep. I'm on nights still until my Thursday shift, which will be my last for a month. But I haven't been sleeping well during the day like I normally do. It's 10:30 pm and I could go to bed and sleep all night. But I know that would be incredibly dumb considering I'd have to turn around and reorient my sleep pattern again in a day. So I'm trying to suffer through.
Delegate
Outsource
Amphetamines

--Patrick

Freaking Tinder...

Her: "Hi! I'm kinda new to town and just looking to make friends...Not looking for hookups"
me: "Cool, me too..i'll send her a like..it's a match! Let me say hi!"
Her: "So, you wanna come pick me up and take me to your place to fuck?"
Me: "Uh, you're a half hour away, so that means at least 2 hours of travel time to get you, bring you, and take you back. And it's already like 10:30. I have a job, yo."
Her: <unmatch>

Protip #1: If you want a hookup, maybe don't lie about it.
Protip #2: If you're tired of young fuckbois, maybe realize that older guys with their shit together have to work around responsibilities and aren't going to drop everything just to rush to fuck you.
Protip #3: If you're gonna ask someone if they wants to fuck as soon as they say "hi", I'm not the one.

Dave

Staff member
Updated and ran CCCleaner on my computer. I truly forgot how much stuff that program messes up. It's good for some things but I already have most taken care of as preventive measures so I really didn't need to do it. Now several sites and Chrome extensions are messed up and need fixing. It's not a huge issue, but it absolutely is a pain in the ass.

PROBABLY shouldn't have worked today, swear to god I made only THREE deliveries during the lunch rush. Its the perfect day, beach weather even, and I should've LOGICALLY realized a lot of people would either be out and about or going off on cheap vacations.

CLEH-I got house work to do, so it ain't that bad.

Dave

Staff member
I am SO FUCKING GLAD I'm back on days. They are starting a road work project right outside my house. Heavy machinery all fucking day long as they tear up the street and replace the sewer lines.

I'll probably be BACK on nights for they are done. I have no idea how I'll sleep while this is going on.

I am SO FUCKING GLAD I'm back on days. They are starting a road work project right outside my house. Heavy machinery all fucking day long as they tear up the street and replace the sewer lines.

I'll probably be BACK on nights for they are done. I have no idea how I'll sleep while this is going on.

Good idea but I can't have anything in my ears for very long before they start to hurt/bother me. At work I have headphones, basically, instead of ear plugs.
I don't know if it's the case for you, but I used to have the same issue, and a doctor once pointed out to me that I have very narrow ear canals. (Who knew?) I still prefer not to wear earbuds or anything that has to sit in my ear, but when I do, I look for ones that come in small sizes. They might be kids sizes sometimes.

@Dave re: custom molded earplugs, you can also buy kits to do it yourself. Look up Radians, they're like $15. There's also Decibullz, but those may not be great for your particular issue.

Alternatively, pouring in cement or concrete will also help keep out sound.

May have some side effects.

Please do not take medical advice from random people on the internet.

Tried something like this. Very hard to sleep in.
I have a pair of foldable Peltors that I have used to sleep while on car trips. While thin, they are probably too thick to sleep on my side comfortably, but I wasn't sleeping on my side in the car anyway.

--Patrick

I reported an account that was calling a friend of mine a pedophile and a groomer and literally 20 seconds got a response from Twitter that they hadn't broken any rules.

Fucking lol.

I reported an account that was calling a friend of mine a pedophile and a groomer and literally 20 seconds got a response from Twitter that they hadn't broken any rules.

Fucking lol.
If it was by email, try responding directly to them and explain why you reported them. I've read from other people that responding to them after the fact gets better results.

I've been struggling a bit lately, and I can't figure out why or what.
I mean, I have depressive tendencies (or, I suffer from depression, or, I get depressed, or however people prefer you address it). I'm not always capable of recognizing it right away, that's normal, and so sometimes I'll suddenly realize "waitaminute, this isn't....This is me lying to myself. Dammit brain!. Sometimes the realization can help, sometimes it doesn't, whatever.
But the past few...days? Maybe a week or so? I've been feeling pretty bad, but not in any way I've really experienced or associated with depression before. It's not that I'm sad, or angry, or lazy, or without energy, or incapable of doing things. I've just had this feeling of....dread? Doom? Like, if I turn on the radio in 5 minutes and I hear "the A-bombs just started falling", I wouldn't be at all surprised. If I heard "Corona is now turning people into zombies!" I'd go, oh yeah, that was what I was expecting.
You know the feeling how you sometimes just know some other foot is about to drop? And then you get a call saying your grandfather died, or your cat got run over, or you return home to find the TV exploded? Some sort of nagging "bad things are coming" sense? I've had that for a few days now, it's not going anywhere, and it's just making my skin crawl. It's affecting my work and my home tasks, like a depression, in the sense that I sort of go "eh, why bother folding this laundry/typing this mail/whatever, it's all doomed anyway". I'm putting off doing anything longer term because it feels like it won't matter anymore anyway.
Maybe it is just another expression of my depression, I don't know. I can still work, I can still go about my day, it's not crippling...But it's weird and unpleasant.

Some sort of nagging "bad things are coming" sense? I've had that for a few days now, it's not going anywhere, and it's just making my skin crawl. It's affecting my work and my home tasks, like a depression, in the sense that I sort of go "eh, why bother folding this laundry/typing this mail/whatever, it's all doomed anyway". I'm putting off doing anything longer term because it feels like it won't matter anymore anyway.
It's not just you. Ever since about July 1st, I feel like somebody somewhere just started a big boulder rolling towards Earth, and even though I can't see or hear it coming, I can kind of feel the vibration off in the distance, y'know?

--Patrick

I've been struggling a bit lately, and I can't figure out why or what.
I mean, I have depressive tendencies (or, I suffer from depression, or, I get depressed, or however people prefer you address it). I'm not always capable of recognizing it right away, that's normal, and so sometimes I'll suddenly realize "waitaminute, this isn't....This is me lying to myself. Dammit brain!. Sometimes the realization can help, sometimes it doesn't, whatever.
But the past few...days? Maybe a week or so? I've been feeling pretty bad, but not in any way I've really experienced or associated with depression before. It's not that I'm sad, or angry, or lazy, or without energy, or incapable of doing things. I've just had this feeling of....dread? Doom? Like, if I turn on the radio in 5 minutes and I hear "the A-bombs just started falling", I wouldn't be at all surprised. If I heard "Corona is now turning people into zombies!" I'd go, oh yeah, that was what I was expecting.
You know the feeling how you sometimes just know some other foot is about to drop? And then you get a call saying your grandfather died, or your cat got run over, or you return home to find the TV exploded? Some sort of nagging "bad things are coming" sense? I've had that for a few days now, it's not going anywhere, and it's just making my skin crawl. It's affecting my work and my home tasks, like a depression, in the sense that I sort of go "eh, why bother folding this laundry/typing this mail/whatever, it's all doomed anyway". I'm putting off doing anything longer term because it feels like it won't matter anymore anyway.
Maybe it is just another expression of my depression, I don't know. I can still work, I can still go about my day, it's not crippling...But it's weird and unpleasant.
I mean, 80% of Europe is in a mega drought, Africa is literally on fire and quite visible from space, who fucking knows if Russia will just say fuck it and drop a bomb? Shit fucking sucks right now and we're all be inundated by it online constantly. I don't know how anyone goes a day without a bout of depression at this point.

The students get worse with their cell phones every year. I understand that most of my incoming freshmen spent the past few years learning online. There are a lot of first-generation students at my school who have no references. I get that but it's still ridiculous. Many don't even pretend to hide their phones under the desk anymore; they just stare slack-jawed at their screens. Some of them will even start listening to music and think they can cover their Airpods with their hair. I look around at my class and I see about half of them paying attention, taking notes, or participating in discussion. I love those kids. One-quarter will frequently glance at their phones, answer a text, and then get back to work. They're all right. The remaining quarter don't even bother to take notes and I can guarantee they've never read the syllabus or textbook. I'm wondering why they are even in class. My experience has taught me that they're the ones who suddenly lose their sweet old granny right before the midterms.

Girlfriend and daughter got into a stupid argument where each was assuming the worst about the other. Both are now irritated with me for not siding exclusively with them, and for instead trying to lower the heat (when I was asked by them to intervene).

So fun.

So, I hired movers to move the big items that wouldn't fit in my car.
Quote was for 2.25 hours work, 11 items. I ended up handling 6 of those myself, so come moving day, they had 5 items to move, and four people to move it. From the time they arrived until the time they left the new house was 29 minutes.

The contract had a 2 hour minimum, so I was totally expecting to pay about the quote amount (minus the extra .25 hours quoted). Instead, I get a bill for almost $200 over. So, I call and get the owner, and I lay it all out.

Things I learned on the call: They billed me 3 hours move time. I have timestamped photos and text messages to back up my timeline, and offer them for evidence.

He only dispatched 3 people. A fourth (female) was not on his payroll. She also arrived in her own vehicle, but helped move the five items, so I'm assuming she was someone's girlfriend helping move, so that they could do fuck-all between moves and commit timesheet fraud. The mistake was not taking the extra 1.5 hours I was paying them, and attempting to tack on an extra hour onto it.

Owner promises to look into it, and call me back, but I don't hear from him. So I called the office again today. The receptionist tells me the owner will have to call me back after the work day because he's fired that crew and is having to go out and personally do moves. So, I assume a partial credit for that extra hour is forthcoming.

Sadly, the crew did an excellent job. I would have been happy as a clam if they hadn't attempted to steal time from their employer and stick me with the bill.

Here's a good inside look into how Nick's brain works sometimes.

So I'm currently on vacation for a few days. I didn't do anything yesterday except play video games and I felt guilty as fuck about it. It was nice out. I could've gone biking or walking or literally anything. Mom kept messaging me, trying to see about doing something. She even offered to take me wherever I wanted to go. I didn't take her up on it.

Today, she offered again and this time I did, suggesting we go to Peggy's Cove. We had a wonderful conversation on the drive there and back. At Peggy's Cove, I wanted to hike or climb across the huge rocks that are piled up along the shoreline. It's what makes Peggy's Cove a big tourist attraction. Mom is nearly 80 years old now and she knew she couldn't climb around like I wanted to do. So she said she'll hang back, sit somewhere, and I can go climbing. I had my GoPro with me and recorded the whole thing on my chest mount. The footage...didn't turn out great. I completely exhausted myself scrambling all over the rocks.

Anyway, when I got back, we sat for a bit and talked and took a nice selfie together (I'll post it at the end of this rant, for those curious). And then we drove back and she dropped me off. Really nice day, overall.

Except...because I overthink literally everything, I had to go and internally ruin the day for myself. Because I realized it was like a mother letting her son go play for half an hour. The only other people really climbing as crazy as I was were kids. And I felt guilty because Mom didn't have anything to do for the half hour I was gone. Not even a book. I asked her multiple times before I left if she was okay with it and she insisted I go.

I'm obviously overthinking it but I can't help but feel guilty. And of course, my brain overthinks and makes me wonder how much of a manchild I am, since I spend all my time alone reading comics or playing video games when I'm not working. Or that I haven't accomplished anything in my life. Or how I enjoy the company of kids purely because they enjoy playing and being silly, or talk about movies or video games, not talking about adult responsibility crap. Which makes me wonder if that's an avoidance technique on my behalf. I still tend to have a playful mind depending on my mood. And I feel horribly guilty for just leaving Mom there for half an hour. It was a nice area for her to sit on the observation deck and she said she didn't mind but I still feel stupidly guilty over it.

Anyway, rant over. Here's the selfies we took after I got back from climbing.
Mom and Nick Peggys Cove 1.jpgMom and Nick Peggys Cove 2.jpg