Minor victory thread

I put my grades in two days ago, cooked a full family dinner from scratch last night, and went to the gym for the first time since Catness had her feeding tube put in. Tonight I’m making short ribs which require at least twelve hours to marinate.

Part of me will always miss her, and I am dealing with the waves of grief as they come. but I’m starting to live again.

You know what? I stand partially corrected. I just looked up the typical DAC in an audio player. It IS voltage-hold. Meaning it doesn't reconstruct or interpolate, it just turns every sample into a level voltage, which would turn 22.05 into a perfect square wave. Still a good upconverting player is probably interpolating and upsampling before the DAC.
11 years later, and we finally have visual data!

tl;dr: If your DAC is a "cheap" voltage-hold type, you get the jaggies. But if your DAC is of decent quality, you will get "indistinguishable from analog" quality at least up to that Nyquist frequency* that was mentioned earlier.

--Patrick
*Half of the overall sample rate (i.e., 22.05kHz for CD-quality audio)

You can't monetize anymore unless you are over a certain threshold for subscribers and some other metric. And you won't get paid for past performance once you reach the requirements. Before this change, I had a little over $100 in earnings, but could never get it paid out.

GasBandit

Staff member
You can't monetize anymore unless you are over a certain threshold for subscribers and some other metric. And you won't get paid for past performance once you reach the requirements. Before this change, I had a little over $100 in earnings, but could never get it paid out.
Wow. Google fuckin robbed you of thousands of dollars.

Discord finally got around to forcing me to migrate to their new username system. Fortunately "gasbandit" was still available! Score. So now I am no longer GasBandit#7359, but as far as Discord is concerned, I am the one and only GasBandit!

This forced me to check my username. I'm still me too!

GasBandit

Staff member
I got a raise! Which is nice and kinda unexpected. It wasn't a BIG raise, but because I got 2 raises last year I kinda thought they'd give this year a miss entirely, and I wasn't really mad about it. But they said they notice how hard I'm working and what a good job I'm doing etc etc ... so... not bad!

I got a raise! Which is nice and kinda unexpected. It wasn't a BIG raise, but because I got 2 raises last year I kinda thought they'd give this year a miss entirely, and I wasn't really mad about it. But they said they notice how hard I'm working and what a good job I'm doing etc etc ... so... not bad!
You should always read this as "We're having a retention problem, it's a very serious one, and we're worried about losing you to a competitor".

GasBandit

Staff member
You should always read this as "We're having a retention problem, it's a very serious one, and we're worried about losing you to a competitor".
I'm pretty sure that's why I got 2 raises last year. I applied for a job with one of our clients, and he called my company's general manager. Poof, sudden raise out of nowhere.

But I'm not actively looking around at other jobs this year, so I thought they wouldn't bother. Pleasant surprise.

I guess you could say retention is an issue, since this company only has one other programmer, and he's about as good a programmer as I was 3 years ago, with 1 year of programming under my belt, and I have all the certs under my belt. It is not an understatement to say they'd be royally fucked if I left.

Meanwhile, my job: "We appreciate all the extra work you do as a learning ambassador! Here's a throw blanket with our logo and a pizza party from a gas station pizza chain."

Meanwhile, my job: "We appreciate all the extra work you do as a learning ambassador! Here's a throw blanket with our logo and a pizza party from a gas station pizza chain."
Well, you've got me beat by a throw blanket and a pizza party.

"no bonuses this year, we didn't make enough profit. You were great though!"

We get BBQs and pizza lunches monthly or whenever we assert our unity as a union.

Ask why we are not getting the government mandated 10 sick days, heres a bullshit excuse and an ice cream party!

I've been doing quite well for the most part but I just really missed my cat today. I brought our dog to the groomers at PetSmart and picked up a few items. One of the senior staff was at the register and she is good friends with the wife. We started talking and she asked how we were getting along without the cat. She knew we were still hurting so she brought me to the cattery. She let me go into the enclosure where I got to play with all the kittens. Suddenly I got jumped by five kittens and a young adult cat who were craving attention and affection. It felt great to play with a kitty again. That completely cheered me up and the lady who managed the cattery said I could come by any time. So now I have a place where I can go for my kitty fix.

To be honest I've been blocking Temu ads since they keep popping up with things like iPads for a buck and I assumed it was a scam

My minor victory, this is the card prize for winning the Vampire Rivals Prince of the City tournament last year in Milwaukee. If you squint and imagine I gained 30 lbs, ignore the scar is all wrong, then I guess it looks like someone who could be my brother.

1691095106768.png

Still cool I have a card in a card game which people will be using.