Minor victory thread

English is actually one of fairly few languages where all nouns are just neutral.
Though admittedly, I never managed to get a good feeling for languages requiring cases (genitive, dative, accustaive, what-have-you, like German or Latin). Guess it's partly down to what you grow up with.

I understand the concept but how each is decided was never explained really, or more likely it was and I just didn't pay attention, so it just felt like to get by I needed to roam around with a conjugating dictionary.

I understand the concept but how each is decided was never explained really, or more likely it was and I just didn't pay attention, so it just felt like to get by I needed to roam around with a conjugating dictionary.
Gender of words? Or cases used?
Because the gender of words really differs from language to language - French tends to be fairly straightforward and has rules (with exceptions). Dutch, for example, makes no sense at all and has exceptions (with some rules just for poking fun at - the word "girl" in Dutch, for example, is not feminine).

My French is lost. I can still read it without many problems, but it would be quite the chore to write or speak it anymore.

Gender of words? Or cases used?
Because the gender of words really differs from language to language - French tends to be fairly straightforward and has rules (with exceptions). Dutch, for example, makes no sense at all and has exceptions (with some rules just for poking fun at - the word "girl" in Dutch, for example, is not feminine).
The gender of words was what hung me up personally. It felt like I constantly ran into the exceptions and it just frustrated me.

Granted I was about 14 at this point, haven't looked into it since.

The gender of words was what hung me up personally. It felt like I constantly ran into the exceptions and it just frustrated me.

Granted I was about 14 at this point, haven't looked into it since.
I think words that end in the letter "e" are mostly feminine and a double "e" is almost always feminine.

This is embarrassing, but I don’t remember taking English grammar in school. Or at least grade school. I feel my French grammar is far better due to my recent teacher. He taught me all kinds of things that I don’t know the equivalent of in English. We used to joke that I’d fail the grammar tests in my own language for work.

My French is lost. I can still read it without many problems, but it would be quite the chore to write or speak it anymore.
Cold War Honor Grad of DLI Presidio of San Francisco for Russian.
Much like when I look at my upper Engineering and Math Courses notes that I still have, I have a Russian version of the Hobbit that I bought while on a language refresher course in Munich, and I think "DAMN SON, you could have been a wizard!" It's ALL mostly gibberish now, and just leaves me with a wistful sad.

So, with interest rates plummeting, I decided to try to refinance again.

I tried to call my mortgage company 4 times, and each time I got shunted to a "We're dealing with covid and won't take your call" recording that then hung up on me. So, I did lendingtree.com. Within a day, I had a decent rate from a reputable company. Started the process moving.

2 days later, my mortgage company calls and says "we see you're trying to refinance. Why didn't you give us a chance?" to which i told them "I called you 4 times over a 2 week period, and every time, I was told you were too busy to talk to me and got hung up on. These guys took my call the first time." All she could say was "oh".

All that's to say, refinance was signed today. 2.35% interest, $300/month less.

Minor victory, because it still involves loss of a loved tree, but the handyman we had recommended to us to fix our plumbing leak is apparently also an arborist, and instead of just cutting our plum tree down, should be able to salvage a good portion of it! The tree is indigenous to our area and produces incredibly flavorful plums the size of cherries. Our much beloved mutt has been digging at the base of the tree and its roots just can't take the heat anymore, so we're going to have to do some pruning and recovery work and then pack the roots back in with soil again and put up a fence around the area, and probably plant some huckleberry bushes in the new void, since they like shady areas.

Just finished the last dose of the antibiotics I was prescribed. Still have a week's worth more of the steroid. Feeling better physically, the hard knot I had in the middle of my chest for most of the last week has pretty much disappeared. The lightheadedness is still a minor issue, but getting better. Finally starting to feel better emotionally about the whole situation, but the uncertainty about being released back to work next week is still a concern in my mind.

Toy Story with Rise of Skywalker.

I gues the latter was as well thought out as a kid playing with his toys so that could work.

I think my first theater film was Star Wars, but that doesn’t feel right. However, I don’t remember seeing any films before that.
The most recent film I think I’ve seen was Detective Pikachu.

So either way, a coming-of-age story where a drifting son tries to unravel the mystery of what happened to his father while other, more powerful forces work their machinations behind the scenes. Also, lots and lots of tiny, colorful aliens.

—Patrick

I honestly couldn't tell you what my first theater movie was, but the earliest I vaguely remember caring about was Snow White because we had those movie sticker books that you bought sticker packs for to try to complete it. Old School card packs bitches!

First (drive-in) theater movie: "It's Alive"
Last theater movie: Aquaman, i think.

Mashup, Aquaman and Amber Heard have a baby named Rose that's got a shark head (a la Moana) and eats everything. "Rose, Mera's Baby"

As I said on Twitter - Ghostbusters 2: The Rise of Skywalker.
It's when the GB face their greatest challenge yet, and have to try to prevent Anakin Skywalker from manifesting again in a fourth trilogy.

First theater movie - Bambi
Last theater movie - RENT

Monstrosity? I'd love to see a remake of Strange Brew with Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick Harris as the main characters. Throw in Morena Baccarin as the brewery heiress, modernize the hockey players' names for today's audience, and saturate the angry crowd that hates their film with MCU/Star Wars/Star Trek cameos.

That was a really fun distraction. Thanks, @ThatNickGuy

Monstrosity? I'd love to see a remake of Strange Brew with Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick Harris as the main characters. Throw in Morena Baccarin as the brewery heiress, modernize the hockey players' names for today's audience, and saturate the angry crowd that hates their film with MCU/Star Wars/Star Trek cameos.

I'd watch paint dry if it somehow starred Nathan Fillion, Neil Patrick Harris and Morena Baccarin, to be fair.

National Lampoon's Onward Vacation.

What. The. Hell.

(Yes, my mother took 3-yr-old me to see NLV with her and her sister. She couldn't find a sitter.)

figmentPez

Staff member
I have a terrible memory for this, but best guesses:

First movie: The Black Cauldron
Most recent: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

These are surprisingly similar, when I think about it.

Have you really not seen a movie in theaters since 2005? Or did they do some kind of rerelease?

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory combined with Peninsula, the sequel to the zombie movie Train to Busan.

A horde of zombie oompa loompas swarm through the chocolate factory, while the golden ticket winners and their parents try desperately to survive.

I didn't know I wanted to see this until now.