Minor victory thread

Taxes are filed. Had to wait until all the forms were final AND discovered I needed a form from last year which I had no idea where it was. Fortunately was able to eventually derive what was on it based on all the other info I had available to me, do NOT want to have to do that again. Ugh.

--Patrick

New project manager at my company: "Hey, could you take a look at this translation case and tell me how long it'd take you to do it? The client wants it done ASAP."

Me: (After taking a look at it and seeing that it's pretty straightforward) "Hang on, this won't take long."

PM: "You mean it won't take long to give me an estimate on when you can be finished with it?"

Me: "No, I mean I'm done now." (Sends it to the PM)

PM: "WTF, I thought this would take a day at least! You did it in three minutes!"

Me: "Feel free to charge the client for a full day if you want, but this was a three-minute task for me."

These new whippersnappers have no idea the sheer level of awesomeness that a translator with decades of experience is capable of.

Yes, but now he'll expect every task that looks like a full day's work to be done in five minutes.
And/or: can you train our AI to do that?

I never thought I’d be happy to see my cat pee all over the inside of her carrier (and on my good dishcloth from Sur la Table), but I was glad. I’d been worried that there was a problem with her bladder because I hadn’t seen any new clumps in the litter box all day long. It turns out that her body was so dehydrated from her liver problems that it was soaking up all the water I put into her feeding tube. We’ve finally hit that point where she has excess water now.

She’s not out of the woods yet, but I think she’s no longer in decline. Seeing her waste away and suffer was cruelly hard on everyone involved. She actually asked for belly rubs today and that’s another step forward.

On Thursday evening, before my last post, we brought her out to the backyard and let her enjoy the sunset and the evening breeze. Even though the feedings had been so uncomfortable and even painful for her at first, she still curled up in my arms and dozed. It had been such a horrible week of feeding tube malfunctions, vomiting, and drowsiness from painkillers. For a moment I thought she might pass peacefully right then and there, surrounded by her two humans and her canine sister.

The kitty is doing much better now. She is starting to eat on her own. It’s just a few nibbles here and there but it’s progress. Now that she’s not on painkillers anymore the spark has returned. I brought her to the vet yesterday and her gums aren’t yellow anymore. She might be off the tube in a couple of weeks if things keep improving. She’s not out of the woods but she’s clearly recovering.

703E8D26-5275-4FD9-90C5-690228359EE5.jpeg

For a moment I thought she might pass peacefully right then and there, surrounded by her two humans and her canine sister.
We had one that was pretty similar. I took a video of some happy sunlight time and some pets because I was not sure she'd last the weekend. But the vet gave us some tools for forced hydration and she managed to stick around with us for a little over 2 more years. Here's hoping you can get that same kind of stay.

--Patrick

After three years on the couch with only the occasional walk for exercise, I have taken up Brazilian jiu jitsu again. Had my introductory class tonight, a fundamentals class that actually went really well.

The warm-ups have taught me that I can still do cartwheels, front rolls, back rolls, and ground twists (that's what I call 'em anyway), and the technique part showed that I can still do a reasonable approximation of a hip bump sweep. So muscle memory's still there, my cardio and endurance are just shot to hell. But I've missed this SO MUCH! Definitely gonna go back, if all goes well next Thursday (agenda's super full until then).

Why is this only a minor victory? Because HOLY FUCK EVERYTHING HURTS!!!!!

Are you still doing meat cutting?

Did you boof fish? That was my biggest weakness.
Yes and yes. I made a dumb mistake early on and cut too much meat off my second fillet. I knew I did it, too. My grade on the exam is solid, but I feel dumb for making the mistake. Aw well.

After three years on the couch with only the occasional walk for exercise, I have taken up Brazilian jiu jitsu again. Had my introductory class tonight, a fundamentals class that actually went really well.

The warm-ups have taught me that I can still do cartwheels, front rolls, back rolls, and ground twists (that's what I call 'em anyway), and the technique part showed that I can still do a reasonable approximation of a hip bump sweep. So muscle memory's still there, my cardio and endurance are just shot to hell. But I've missed this SO MUCH! Definitely gonna go back, if all goes well next Thursday (agenda's super full until then).

Why is this only a minor victory? Because HOLY FUCK EVERYTHING HURTS!!!!!
Sounds great. I would like to try that. I have no martial arts experience and feel like it would be tough to know a good class from a bad one. I am also a bit of a pansy with pain now that I am passed 40.

Taking the plunge in martial arts way back in 1997 is the hardest thing I've done for myself (and if that doesn't scream "privileged life", I don't know what does), but also the most rewarding.

If you're coming at it as a complete blank slate (especially one in their 40s, when the body starts falling apart a bit and you're likely not looking at winning multiple world titles) the quality of instruction is probably less important than being comfortable in the setting. It's still important of course, but it comes second.

You can always change schools if you find you're getting shafted, but especially as a raw newbie, just being with people who are nice and respectful and will teach you as they kick your ass AND give you space to work is VITAL.

But pain...Yeah, pain's gonna come. No getting away from it, really.

Last edited:
My hedge trimmer came in today! Wish it wasn't raining, my hedges are NUTS.
Be careful with those. I used one for a couple hours without taking a break, and it really messed up the muscles in my forearms. Took a long time before the pain went away. Might want to snag some vibration damping gloves.

Be careful with those. I used one for a couple hours without taking a break, and it really messed up the muscles in my forearms. Took a long time before the pain went away. Might want to snag some vibration damping gloves.
Had that happen to me when I worked in a wood shop. The sanding would sometimes make my hand numb for a few hours.

In my case, it took several months to recover. Grip strength was fine, but I basically couldn't bend at the elbows and bring up anything heavy. I had to use both arms to lift a pitcher of water.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hmm, thanks for the heads up. I'll be careful. Fortunately I just need it for one row of hedges and a particularly out-of-control couple of rosebushes. I hummed and hawwed about buying it at all, for as infrequently as I'd use it... but I finally decided I'd rather drop the $130 on it than suffer through manual shears and pruners.