Minor victory thread

I was pretty grumpy when my county property valuation went up - by a LOT. I was expecting like a 10% increase in my property taxes this year. Well, I just got my tax bill... and the amount I owe went down by 12%.

I'm not sure how that works, but I'll take it.
... Thank Biden? :troll:

I was pretty grumpy when my county property valuation went up - by a LOT. I was expecting like a 10% increase in my property taxes this year. Well, I just got my tax bill... and the amount I owe went down by 12%.

They found the bodies. No one wants a haunted house!

Did your county pass a reduction in rate or something?
We need to pass state proposition 2 to raise the amount of exemption on property tax.

I recently learned that faculty enhancement grants will cover a lot of conference expenses (they used to be way too stingy). I'll be traveling with a university credit card and will have most everything else reimbursed after the trip. The upside is my wife is much more likely to come to conferences with me, provided they are in interesting cities.

"Hey, I'm going to Baltimore for this British history conference."
"Have fun, honey."
"There's another conference in Halifax that accepted my paper. We'll be touring Dalhousie University."
"That's great. I'll have training that weekend."
"Oh, and there's a world history conference in San Francisco next summer. It will be at a historic bayfront hotel."
"... can you get the conference discount at the hotel?"
"Yeah, it's standard procedure."
"Well good luck on your proposal! I'll have to go there and support my husband."

She really enjoys the perks that come with being a professor's wife. The only downside is a three-day trip for her requires three full suitcases because she packs her entire closet.

I recently learned that faculty enhancement grants will cover a lot of conference expenses (they used to be way too stingy). I'll be traveling with a university credit card and will have most everything else reimbursed after the trip. The upside is my wife is much more likely to come to conferences with me, provided they are in interesting cities.

"Hey, I'm going to Baltimore for this British history conference."
"Have fun, honey."
"There's another conference in Halifax that accepted my paper. We'll be touring Dalhousie University."
"That's great. I'll have training that weekend."
"Oh, and there's a world history conference in San Francisco next summer. It will be at a historic bayfront hotel."
"... can you get the conference discount at the hotel?"
"Yeah, it's standard procedure."
"Well good luck on your proposal! I'll have to go there and support my husband."

She really enjoys the perks that come with being a professor's wife. The only downside is a three-day trip for her requires three full suitcases because she packs her entire closet.
So you're coming to Halifax, the capital of Halforums!

A few months ago, there was a deal through PC Optimum (a points system through President's Choice): buy $100 in Chapters gift cards, get $20 in points back in PC points (to use at places like Superstore, Shoppers Drug Mart, etc). I figured I could make good use of a Chapters gift card. Maybe buy some comics with it. And I could use the PC points to buy groceries. But I decided to sit on the gift cards until a good sale came up.

While waiting, my friend also got me to sign up for Tiktok because they had a thing where if you sign in every day for 7 days, you get a gift card of your choosing. So I did that and got a $30 Chapters gift card for nothing (and haven't used Tiktok since). So I sat on $130 in Chapters gift cards.

Then Chapters dropped a sale this weekend with 30% off if you're a plum+ member. So I used part of my gift cards to buy a year membership. Regular members get 10% off, plus other bonuses like free shipping, so it's that PLUS 30% off for the sale. For signing up, I got enough bonus plum points worth $20.

I ordered a ton of books. Without any discounts or anything, it would've come to $268 dollars. After all the discounts and gift cards, I only paid $90.

I'm calling it a minor victory for taking advantage of several deals. I don't know how much I REALLY saved in the long run, but I feel like I made out like a bandit.

I don't like my brother's girlfriend at all.

She's never done anything to make me not like her. She's actually really good about keeping us in touch and has been really great for him in general. She'll never know I don't as the only people I've told are my partner, co-workers she'll never meet and now you guys.

It makes me feel like an asshole because she's never given me a reason not to. I don't hate her and know I don't need to like everyone but it still makes me feel like a shitty person.
So remember a year ago when I said I didn't like my brother's girlfriend but couldn't really put my finger on why...

Brother's dumb, covid denying girlfriend has also jumped on 15-minutes cities as the next thing she's gonna champion and rally against.
Made the mistake of pointing out how through a manufacturing issue, a lot of the LED street lights they have installed are going to turn purple/blue which spiraled into a "You know those cones on the top of the street lights? They were never there before and don't do anything. They've only been added now so they can be removed later and they can put in scanners and cameras in their place to force you to stay in your zone."

Didn't get into how I know I remember them from at least 30 years ago, there is photographic evidence of them from long before that and how they DO serve a purpose as the photocell sensors that tell them when it's dark enough so they turn on. It's just not worth it.

View attachment 45355

Mentioned it to my brother later, who is an electrician, and he said "Oh did she get on that stupid shit again? I've already told her what the things are for."

I've been saying for the last 6 months I'd be surprised if they were together by the end of the year and I just found out yesterday that they've split as of middle of last month. It's been hard to be outwardly sad for him but on the inside be super happy about the outcome. Of course, there is the baggage associated with the split. Particularly a dog that she bought for him that, as far as I know, she's currently planning on keeping now? I don't know the full story there yet, if it's just while he gets set up somewhere or if she does plan on keeping him long term. What's frustrating is any time I've been there she's always treated the dog like a burden while he dotes on him like a son. She's definitely doing it just to spite him. I'm going up this weekend to keep his mind off everything but will try to find out more then.

I've heard of recently split couples where they use the pets as bargaining chips. Sometimes they'll put the animal in a kill shelter just to hurt the other party. I hope the dog ends up being okay.

I've heard of recently split couples where they use the pets as bargaining chips. Sometimes they'll put the animal in a kill shelter just to hurt the other party. I hope the dog ends up being okay.
Something something Solomons judgement whoever is fine with killing the (fur) baby doesn't get to keep it.

(I dislike the fur baby name for pets but it was right there)

Me too, he's a sweetheart. Knows me as Uncle Kyle and gets excited when you say I'm on my way.

I always find that weird. My wife and I got both of our pets before we were married (or even engaged) and we had the very clear talk of who would get which pet if we broke up.

GasBandit

Staff member
Had a date tonight. Seemed to go well. Already have set up another one for next weekend at her place! So, if you guys don't hear from me after the 10th, assume I was delicious and nutritious.
She's a cannibal! I'm calling it.
So we've basically spent every night together since then, and my flesh remains undigested. I think it's safe to say I officially have a girlfriend again.

One exam passed, three to go.

I tried remote proctoring for the first time. They checked behind my ears lol!!!! And my arms up to my elbows.
congrats! That's some crazy proctoring! When I was doing WGU, they were sometimes pretty strict, and sometimes not. Like one guy wanted to see the ceiling to see if I'd put notes up there. I'm like "Im freaking blind, yo...notes on the ceiling do me no good."

One person let me keep a Dr. Pepper on the table, even though they're not supposed to, because evidently some people have printed fake labels but put the answers where the ingredients go...

Squishmallows were not on the prohibited list, but I moved them out of the study area right before I started.

No food, no drink, only two tissues (if required and must be inspected) and very specific requirements about long hair and what type of clips could be used. They were super concerned about cameras.

Checking my ID and getting a full look at the room was reasonable. The rest was silly. I didn’t have any pockets to turn out :D

Two exams passed and two to go.

Today during check in they saw my tattoo and had questions and wanted to see it up close etc. Like who tattoos accounting and fraud facts on themselves?!

Oooh what’s your favourite ratio?? Let’s go get that tattooed!!

Dave

Staff member
Got this from the Air Force about Sam:

This weeks Arrivals are assigned Flights 72-90
320TRS Gators: Flights 72-75
321TRS Warthogs: Flights 76-79
322TRS Eagles: Flights 80-83
324TRS Knights: Flights 84-87
326TRS Bulldogs: Flights 88-90
These Trainees are set to graduate on Jan. 3-4, 2024 and will ship to their respective tech schools on Jan. 5.

Sam is in flight 79.

These Trainees are set to graduate on Jan. 3-4, 2024 and will ship to their respective tech schools on Jan. 5.

Sam is in flight 79.

If he doesn't have a call sign already, it should be Mr. Pig.

Sam is in flight 79.

Warthogs are the nickname of the A-10, it’s a good name. Brrrrrrrrrrrt.

In the Tech Talk forum, I've been posting some 3d printed stuff I made. Of course, I had to get back to my "try to print a 3d whistle" idea I had a couple years ago. I've been posting my progress pics on some music groups on FB that I run in, and a guy wanted to buy one.

USPS said it arrived today, and I've been waiting in nervous anticipation for him to report back, since whistlers are notoriously finicky.

his FB messenger message just came through a few mins ago.

1700344817603.png

So overjoyed!