Movie you liked but apparently no one else did?

For me it's Kingdom of Heaven. It seems like every person who saw it felt pretty negative about it but I thought it was really good. I bought the Blue-Ray and watched the "no cut version" where apparently it ran too long for theaters but the missing 35 minutes added a lot of meat to the story... and I can see how it affected people's opinions.... but I love the movie.

It's so well written.

Last edited:
For me it's Kingdom of Heaven. It seems like every person who say it felt pretty negative about it but I thought it was really good. I bought the Blue-Ray and watched the "no cut version" where apparently it ran too long for theaters but the missing 35 minutes added a lot of meat to the story... and I can see how it affected people's opinions.... but I love the movie.

It's so well written.
I agree, in particular with the Director's Cut edition.

I would say Sunshine is one I get a lot of pushback on, but I think is a gorgeous and great movie. Movies with Mikey (which explores a lot of films of mixed popularity) gave it a great review/analysis:

Reactions: Jay
The Straight Story is one I enjoyed that everyone I watched it with whined about how boring it was. Looks like it was critically acclaimed though, so I suppose it doesn't count for this thread...

I guess just about any stupid comedy or action flick, really.

Seth McFarlane's movies are hilarious to me, but they definitely don't get very good reviews.

Eyes Wide Shut

I'm a total apologist for this movie. I know people don't like it, and I honestly didn't on first watching, either, but it's really grown on me. It might also have something to do with my huge cineboner for Kubrick.

The 90's remake of Night of the Living Dead.

Tony Todd gave one helluva performance, and I liked the fact that the character of Barbara was updated to be stronger and indepent. And, of course, the makeup was great.

fade

Staff member
I have a bunch of these. Recently, I really liked the new Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It was beautifully shot, and I was hoping it would lead to people giving Ben Stiller more of an opportunity with serious stuff and with directing. It seemed to fall on deaf audience ears, though. I wonder if it's because I saw a screener--maybe they cut some things I really liked before it went to theaters.

I have a bunch of these. Recently, I really liked the new Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It was beautifully shot, and I was hoping it would lead to people giving Ben Stiller more of an opportunity with serious stuff and with directing. It seemed to fall on deaf audience ears, though. I wonder if it's because I saw a screener--maybe they cut some things I really liked before it went to theaters.
Watched twice. Gorgeous film. You and I actually overlap on preferences a lot, though. If I spoke up more, it would be "MD doesn't like anything".

fade

Staff member
Interesting trivia about Walter Mitty: Ben Stiller is a skilled skateboarder, and that was actually him in the skateboarding scenes.

GasBandit

Staff member
For me it's Kingdom of Heaven. It seems like every person who saw it felt pretty negative about it but I thought it was really good. I bought the Blue-Ray and watched the "no cut version" where apparently it ran too long for theaters but the missing 35 minutes added a lot of meat to the story... and I can see how it affected people's opinions.... but I love the movie.

It's so well written.
I loved it, even in the theater. It came out right when I was in the middle of my DAOC phase. When they blew that hole in the wall, I practically wanted to shout "OK, all PBAOE casters spam that hole! Tanks form a shield wall! Go go go go go!"[DOUBLEPOST=1457458885,1457458729][/DOUBLEPOST]As for myself, the answer seems to be "The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions." I think the first Matrix movie set the bar so high that people were expecting the sequels to be even that much better than the original, when really, if you view all 3 movies back to back to back you can see it's really one long movie cut into 3 parts of roughly equivalent quality, abarring unfortunate casting changes brought on by actor death and contract dispute.

Two cartoons from my childhood that were remade as live action movies.

Speed Racer. I just watched it again this weekend. I love this movie. It was goofy and fun. It's a live-action anime/manga. Some of the ridiculous things (driving up the mountain with spiked tires) were lifted from the manga. It speaks directly to those of us who love cars and auto racing. It takes a stab at corruption and greed in auto racing (see also: Formula One). I would have preferred a more traditional style of racing in the movie, but that's a minor complaint because I loved everything else.

Scooby-Doo. This was my favorite cartoon as a kid and this movie nailed it. This was the cartoon brought to life in all its weirdness and silliness. The casting was fantastic. And the reveal of the actual villain was a gift to Scooby fans. :D

if you view all 3 movies back to back to back you can see it's really one long movie cut into 3 parts of roughly equivalent quality, abarring unfortunate casting changes brought on by actor death and contract dispute.
I agree that it was one movie, but we'll have to disagree about the "equivalent" part. I still feel like it suffered from "are we done yet?" like a D&D campaign that has gone on all night until it's 5am and everyone just wants to get to the end already.

I'm also going to add The Fifth Element to my list. I know I'm among people here who probably liked it, but when I talk about it with other people, it's like they miss the humor entirely and think it's a bad Sci-Fi movie, or else they only focus on the humor and think that it's trying to be too serious.

--Patrick

I'm also going to add The Fifth Element to my list. I know I'm among people here who probably liked it, but when I talk about it with other people, it's like they miss the humor entirely and think it's a bad Sci-Fi movie, or else they only focus on the humor and think that it's trying to be too serious.
There are people who don't like The Fifth Element? :eek:

fade

Staff member
Street Fighter. A lot of people seem to miss the fact that it's camp is mostly deliberate.
For you, the day Street Fighter graced your cinema was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday.

Mountains of the Moon - The story of Burton and Speke searching for the source of the Nile.

I also enjoyed The Postman and Waterworld. I did not think that the movies were good, but I had a good time watching them. The one thing that put me out of The Postman though was the Zippo that worked after 20 years, the damned things don't work after 2 weeks.

Street Fighter. A lot of people seem to miss the fact that it's camp is mostly deliberate.
The camp in Inspector Gadget was intentional, too...but I notice nobody is adding that movie to this list.
(Yes I have seen both Street Fighter and Inspector Gadget)

--Patrick

How many Godzilla movies shall I list?
Okay, I'm going to dig into this one. Putting Godzilla movies on their own scale apart from non-kaiju films, there are mostly good to fantastic ones, but a few are awful. Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla vs Hedorah, the 1998 American movie ... and it seems every Godzilla fan has at least one shitty Godzilla movie that they love just as much as the great ones, even though every other Godzilla fan hates it.

Mine is Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla. Every criticism I've seen of that movie is totally correct--it's slow, the first half of the plot goes nowhere, the outer space effects are among the worst effects in a series filled with rubber suit monsters ... but I love it. It feels so big and ridiculous, and I enjoy the characters and even the leisurely pace at times that I really can't stand in fellow movies like Godzilla X Megaguirus. And I think Spacegodzilla is cool. His hatred of Godzilla is so apparent, his actions almost feel human, but he's one of the few Godzilla foes from space that isn't being controlled by humanoid aliens. He just comes to Earth and fucking hates Godzilla, the way most clones hate their source.

Next one for me would be "The Last Samurai". Sure, Tom Cruise as a person is someone suspect but he's an accomplished actor and I think this was one of his best roles.

Firstly, I love anything medieval... but the Sengoku period is my 2nd all-time fav (romance of the three kingdoms being the first.) Yes, I understand this movie took place during the final stages of the Meiji period but I like to pretend.... beautiful cinematography and sets/costume design. The score is one of my all-time favorites ('The Final Charge' still sends shivers my way) by my favorite composer. Tom Cruise plays his part well and is supported by an incredible cast. Ken Watanabe is king.

Storyline is great and very respectful to the Japanese culture and provides you a bittersweet ending that after the first time, made me leave the cinema with tears in my eyes and it still happens on my viewings.

I've seen this movie twice a year and make sure I do so whenever release date comes by.

I'd proudly state it's one of my TOP 5 movies of all-time.

So underrated and people disliked it so much for something so insignificant as the Actor's personal life.

Next one for me would be "The Last Samurai". Sure, Tom Cruise as a person is someone suspect but he's an accomplished actor and I think this was one of his best roles.

Firstly, I love anything medieval... but the Sengoku period is my 2nd all-time fav (romance of the three kingdoms being the first.) Yes, I understand this movie took place during the final stages of the Meiji period but I like to pretend.... beautiful cinematography and sets/costume design. The score is one of my all-time favorites ('The Final Charge' still sends shivers my way) by my favorite composer. Tom Cruise plays his part well and is supported by an incredible cast. Ken Watanabe is king.

Storyline is great and very respectful to the Japanese culture and provides you a bittersweet ending that after the first time, made me leave the cinema with tears in my eyes and it still happens on my viewings.

I've seen this movie twice a year and make sure I do so whenever release date comes by.

I'd proudly state it's one of my TOP 5 movies of all-time.

So underrated and people disliked it so much for something so insignificant as the Actor's personal life.
Man I love Last Samurai. Cruise is great, Watanabe is great, and the locations are beautiful. I still get goosebumps from the last 10 or so minutes and their final lines.

"Tell me how he died."

"No. I will tell you how he lived."

Dave

Staff member
Wall-E.

Oh, wait. This is movies you LIKED that other people hated, not the other way around.

Joe Versus the Volcano. Fucking love that movie.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wall-E.

Oh, wait. This is movies you LIKED that other people hated, not the other way around.

Joe Versus the Volcano. Fucking love that movie.
The only way you couldn't like Wall-E is if you were suffering from a brain cloud.

Constantine. I never read the comics, so I thought the movie was decent. I loved Tilda Swinton as Gabriel. I thought Keanu Reeves was good. I liked that Constantine and Angela didn't kiss despite a few scenes where I know in any other movie they'd have torn off each other's clothes.

I won't defend it. It's not critically acclaimed/award winning. The acting wasn't deserving of more recognition. It didn't have a deep meaning. I just liked it.
I'm going to go hide now before I'm flogged.