North_Ranger

Dave

Staff member
UPDATE!!

If you are willing and able to journey at a short notice to Finland (and have a relationship with North_Ranger, not just trying to get a free vacation), please let me or @stienman know ASAP!

I'm honestly tempted to go. I won't have anything to do come the new year, since the job I just got is seasonal. Plus, I could bring the viking a signed copy of my book. :)

It is with heavy heart that I announce the passing of our dear friend Mikko Metsälä, known to us as North_Ranger. He passed away earlier today, November 27th, 2013 at 17:40 Finnish time (10:40am EST).

His father sent me the following message to relay to Halforums:

I am Mikko's dad Timo Metsälä and I am using his e-mail.

Today at 17:40 Finnish time Mikko's 30 years path ended in hospital and he moved into the home in heaven. He was very grateful of cooperation with you and all people in your group.
In last days he remembered you - his friends.

With great missing - Mikko's parents , one sister and one brother with their families.

I will inform you more on next days and hope that you inform his other friends.

My e-mail is metsala.timo@gmail.com and we will also read his email mikko.metsala@gmail.com

With a heavy heart.

Mikko's parents Leila and Timo Metsälä

Ps sorry my poor english on Ipad.

Rest in peace Ranger. You are missed by many.

My daughter is sleeping on me right now and I'm trying hard not to wake her up as I'm crying. This just... This is so wrong. It's so damn wrong.

Last edited:
As indicated in the other thread, North_Ranger has passed on. When I responded to NR's father I indicated that we had gathered some money for a visit, and offered to send it to them if it would help with the funeral or other costs associated with his passing.

If you want a refund since it's no longer possible to use the money as intended, please PM me, do not attempt to request a refund through paypal.

If NR's family doesn't want the money then it will be refunded, and you need do nothing.

If I do not hear from you I assume you accept sending your donation to North_Ranger's family if they allow it.

Well shit.

North Ranger, wherever you are, we were a better place just by having you in it. May your sauna never run out of steam. :(

Dave

Staff member
There's something in Finnish called a suruadressi. These are sympathy cards that are read at the wake. I think it would be nice if we got a bunch. I'm sending one.

Timo Metsälä
Kaivokatu 8 C 48
20500 Turku
Finland

Something else. I've contacted Chaz and let him know. If he wants to come in and say a few words it's cool with me. He also knew NR a long time and he deserved to know as well.

Go forth and bring the joy and fun you gave to us and your family and friends to another place. You are missed!
Godspeed, DJ Ham Sammich, Ranger of the North.
:( *with tears in my eyes*

Lord and Lady, watch over our friend and guide him to his rest.

We love you, N_R, and will miss you so much.

There's something in Finnish called a suruadressi. These are sympathy cards that are read at the wake. I think it would be nice if we got a bunch. I'm sending one.

Timo Metsälä
Kaivokatu 8 C 48
20500 Turku
Finland
This is a great idea.

It feels so...odd. And I feel terribly sad. N_R and I didn't personally talk a whole lot, but I enjoyed reading conversations he had with others.

He got me a huge plush fox for Secret Santa last year and I was so happily shocked (it was before I had had my many talks about foxes on here) that someone could just...get me, without really knowing me.

I'm glad I have you all here to mourn with me.

May you finally find comfort and a painless sleep, N_R.

If Halforums was the Ghostbusters, North Ranger would have been Ray Stanz. He is one of a select few persons I'd consider to be the heart of this community. We had some awful recent history, but overall I had respect for the guy. He was a passionate man who loved teaching and shared his many interests with us all. We are all better for having met North.

Rest in peace, my friend, you live on in our memories.

fuck fuckity fuck fuck.
My thoughts are with his family, it's horrible to out-live your child.
At least he's not in pain anymore.
fuck.

As indicated in the other thread, North_Ranger has passed on. When I responded to NR's father I indicated that we had gathered some money for a visit, and offered to send it to them if it would help with the funeral or other costs associated with his passing.

If you want a refund since it's no longer possible to use the money as intended, please PM me, do not attempt to request a refund through paypal.

If NR's family doesn't want the money then it will be refunded, and you need do nothing.

If I do not hear from you I assume you accept sending your donation to North_Ranger's family if they allow it.
It's only US$20. Give it to them with my sympathies.

I don't even know what to say.

We can pontificate about whether or not online friends are really friends at all, but the feelings that I"m having right now indicate that they are.

The world is a little less bright today.

Well, damn, I was gonna *still will* toss a sawbuck or two towards this after I got home. If his folks don't want any money, buy a nice bunch flowers or whatever the customs are over there.

Damn. He was a great guy who helped make this place as great as it is today. Like many have said, it's an odd feeling to be so affected by the loss of someone you've never met before. I think that alone says a lot about how great of a guy he was.

Zappit

Staff member
Godspeed, Mikko. You were incredibly kind, brave, and gracious to the end, and you will be missed terribly. Farewell, might mod!

You will be missed our northern friend. You touched others with your life, your passion and your heart. Godspeed Mikko.