Oculus Quest 2

Speaking of working up a sweat, I DID discover a kind of rhythm/exercise game I actually like: OhShape.

And oddly enough, I really like it. It's still a bit overwhelming when obstacles come hard and fast, but it feels more doable and fun. Maybe because it's a full body thing and I have more spatial/body awareness due to yoga? I don't know. And I dug more of the song selections.

Last edited:
Oh, if anyone is going to buy a quest 2 BEFORE YOU ACTIVATE IT have a forum member send you a referral code, you get $30 bucks of store credit and the forum member gets $30 bucks of store credit

Damn, I realized I intended on buying Half-Life Alyx and as luck would have it, it was on sale the same weekend I got the Oculus. But I got distracted by...well, everything else about the Oculus.

And now it's not on sale anymore. I think there's a big Steam sale coming soon, though?

GasBandit

Staff member
Damn, I realized I intended on buying Half-Life Alyx and as luck would have it, it was on sale the same weekend I got the Oculus. But I got distracted by...well, everything else about the Oculus.

And now it's not on sale anymore. I think there's a big Steam sale coming soon, though?
Seems like there's six a year now, so yeah, probably.

So I think I may have found the killer app VR has been needing, a game called Boneworks.

Boneworks is basically half-life, both in content and spirit. It's a VR adventure game with an incredibly robust physics engine, which has you feeling as if you are actually occupying this world.

The story has been pretty good too.

Oh, I should warn that Boneworks isn't available on Quest 2 hardware, you can play it through link play and need a good computer. I bought it on steam because if I have to play it linked might as well choose the platform that supports all VR headsets

Oh, I should warn that Boneworks isn't available on Quest 2 hardware, you can play it through link play and need a good computer. I bought it on steam because if I have to play it linked might as well choose the platform that supports all VR headsets

Great, I picked that up a couple months and havent gotten to it yet. Maybe its time I should.

Great, I picked that up a couple months and havent gotten to it yet. Maybe its time I should.
It gives a warning that it is for advanced VR play only, and suggests some things like playing in seated mode if you aren't used to intense VR. I ignored all of this, naturally, and it has lead to some serious VR hangover after playing. I'd never experienced VR sickness before but damn is it real.

I have a USB-A to USB-C cable on the way that I ordered from Amazon. I intend on using it for more demanding games like Boneworks and Half-Life Alyx.

Surprisingly, I haven't really used Steam much for VR. I've played some of the games I got from that Humble Bundle (really enjoyed Until You Fall and Paper Beast, tried Wands it was...okay, but HAAAAAATED Zero Caliber), but overall, I'm happy enough just popping on my headset and playing it straight on the headset. I bought Gorn directly from there, as well, largely for that very convenience.

For one, it's just a few extra annoying steps to get onto the Steam VR, like remembering to click open the Oculus desktop app to link them, then getting through the Steam VR. Oculus Air Link has an option to just open the Steam games directly from it, but it doesn't work very well and the games/apps don't often open at all. Plus, I've noticed if I quit out of a Steam game then try to get onto another one, it tells me the other app is still running. So, the whole thing is just a little glitchy for my liking so far.

Last edited:
I have a USB-A to USB-C cable on the way that I ordered from Amazon. I intend on using it for more demanding games like Boneworks and Half-Life Alyx.

Surprisingly, I haven't really used Steam much for VR. I've played some of the games I got from that Humble Bundle (really enjoyed Until You Fall and Paper Beast, tried Wands it was...okay, but HAAAAAATED Zero Caliber), but overall, I'm happy enough just popping on my headset and playing it straight on the headset. I bought Gorn directly from there, as well, largely for that very convenience.

For one, it's just a few extra annoying steps to get onto the Steam VR, like remembering to click open the Oculus desktop app to link them, then getting through the Steam VR. Oculus Air Link has an option to just open the Steam games directly from it, but it doesn't work very well and the games/apps don't often open at all. Plus, I've noticed if I quit out of a Steam game then try to get onto another one, it tells me the other app is still running. So, the whole thing is just a little glitchy for my liking so far.
Oh, if it's available to run on the Quest 2 itself, I'll buy it there because playing untethered is pretty boss, it's the whole appeal of the quest 2. BUT, if a game is only available linked, I'd rather future proof myself by buying on steam, because in the future I might buy a non-oculus headset and then the oculus store is useless to me.

Played another 2 hours of Boneworks before I had to stop. The game is really good, but goddamn vr sickness is real. I was playing seated this time, which honestly feels pretty good, and was doing fine right up until the very end. Around the 2 hour mark I suddenly realize that my stomach is turning flops, I'm feeling super nauseous, and I'm sweating profusely (and not from strenuous activity like from beatsaber or something). I had to stop and take a break, and now I'm sitting here 20 minutes later still feeling shakey.

My body is rejecting the simulation.

I've noticed that, too. Not nauseous, but I notice some...discomfort after finishing a session. Especially when movement is involved, like moving around the arena in Gorn. Not dizzy or nauseous, but almost like I need to readjust to the "real world." It's a strange feeling.

Spotted two VR game bundles on Fanatical that might be worth checking out:

VR Thrills Bundle:
-Fantastic Contraption
-Xing: The Land Beyond
-Starbear Taxi
-Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son
-Hello Puppets
-Skyworld
-Traffic Jams

Not gonna lie, I might get this just for Hello Puppets, which looks funny.

VR Adrenaline Bundle
-Electronauts
-Raw Data
-Battlewake
-Sprint Vector
-Creed Rise to Glory
-Walking Dead Onslaught (not to be confused with the much better reviewed Saints & Sinners; this one has a Mostly Negative score on Steam)

This might be worth it for Creed and Sprint Vector, the latter of which I've heard is almost like VR Mario Kart.

Spotted two VR game bundles on Fanatical that might be worth checking out:

VR Thrills Bundle:
-Fantastic Contraption
-Xing: The Land Beyond
-Starbear Taxi
-Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son
-Hello Puppets
-Skyworld
-Traffic Jams

Not gonna lie, I might get this just for Hello Puppets, which looks funny.

VR Adrenaline Bundle
-Electronauts
-Raw Data
-Battlewake
-Sprint Vector
-Creed Rise to Glory
-Walking Dead Onslaught (not to be confused with the much better reviewed Saints & Sinners; this one has a Mostly Negative score on Steam)

This might be worth it for Creed and Sprint Vector, the latter of which I've heard is almost like VR Mario Kart.
It's been a couple years since I played Raw Data but it was a pretty fun early VR game that's been through a billion updates since.

I just played a bit of Hello Puppets and I actually recommend it. It has a creepy vibe, a neat concept, and some of the gameplay mechanics with your puppet are quite clever.

I don't think it's a very long game, so getting it cheap in a bundle like this is like a good idea.

Beat Hello Puppets. Definitely a short game. A little over 2 and a half hours, but would probably be shorter for most (I farted around and got stuck a few times on puzzles). Fun little game.

So imagine my excitement that a prequel - Hello Puppets: Midnight Show - is coming soon.
Then imagine my disappointment when I find that, while it's set in the same universe, it's also NOT a VR game.

Before I got an Oculus, I wouldn't have minded this. I hated when, say, Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin was revealed as a VR game. But now it's the opposite. Why would you take such a clever VR game and make it non-VR? Not to mention it looks like it's going to be a poor man's version of Hello Neighbor or something. Very disappointing.

Had the day off today, so I tried a few VR games that I got through those cheap bundles.

Arizona Sunshine

I dug this at first, even though I struggled. I couldn't hit headshots worth a damn unless zombies were within clawing distance. I persevered well enough, until I started dying early in, and discovered the checkpoint system for this game suuuuuuuucks. It sets you back farther than the average game. I really hated having to redo finding all the ammo and new gun in various cars, and fight the same zombie horde. I doubt I'll revisit it almost exclusively because of that checkpoint.

Sprint Vector

I think this will be one of those kind of games that I would LOVE to get into, but don't have the patience to "get good." It's a sci-fi styled foot racing game. You swing your arms to create forward momentum. And then there's all kinds of extra tricks like briefly gliding through the air, jumping, climbing, power ups, etc.

t's a LOT fun. But I also completely suck at it and wind up in last place for every race. I might try it a few more times, but I don't see myself playing it on a regular basis like Thrill of the Fight, OhShape, or Gorn.

Last edited:
A Fisherman's Tale

This is a genuinely engaging, clever puzzle game. I don't want to say too much without giving anything away, but just trust me on this one. Get it if you can. If it helps, it's in the current VR Humble Bundle that I linked before.

So, a question to other VR'ers out there. I discovered that if I'm playing Steam VR games through Air Link, it displays my view on my PC monitor. I imagine it that will be the same once I get a cable link going, as well.

So I've been showing some gameplay to my mother, who finds it really neat to watch me play. She watched me play Arizona Sunshine longer than I would have expected her to. But she's also not hearing any of what I hear, since the audio is through the Oculus headset.

Is there a way to change the audio settings to my desktop speakers, just for this reason?

So, a question to other VR'ers out there. I discovered that if I'm playing Steam VR games through Air Link, it displays my view on my PC monitor. I imagine it that will be the same once I get a cable link going, as well.

So I've been showing some gameplay to my mother, who finds it really neat to watch me play. She watched me play Arizona Sunshine longer than I would have expected her to. But she's also not hearing any of what I hear, since the audio is through the Oculus headset.

Is there a way to change the audio settings to my desktop speakers, just for this reason?
Yes, it should be in your oculus app settings, you can have your pc play vr sounds as well as your headset.

On my rift 1, it was either or - I could have sounds coming out my speakers OR my headset. Maybe the newer ones are different.
It'd be fine with either/or. It would only be a temporary thing to show some of the gameplay. And I'm close to my speaker, so I could still hear everything. I can sacrifice the immersion long enough to show the game.

It'd be fine with either/or. It would only be a temporary thing to show some of the gameplay. And I'm close to my speaker, so I could still hear everything. I can sacrifice the immersion long enough to show the game.
Look in Steam VR settings there's an option in there to mirror audio to another speaker

Gave Arizona Sunshine a second chance and...yeah, this game is just bullshit. I got slightly further than where I last left off, where I enter a building to get keys to a car, which in turn leads to finding a winch to open a nearby gate. Naturally, the car alarm goes off, sending a horde of zombies. A literal unending horde. I tried ducking inside the building and could shoot them from safety until I realized they kept coming. So I tried running for the gate, only to be swarmed. It didn't help that the game forced me to drop one of my two guns, so I only had single revolver. So they killed me pretty quickly. So yeah, the game is bullshit and I uninstalled it.

In the meantime, the USB-A to USB-C cable arrived in the mail. I got the Cable Link working (had to disable Air Link), but honestly, I didn't notice any significant difference in terms of performance. In fact, I thought playing the same game through Air Link was slightly SMOOTHER. Maybe it would be different with a more demanding game like Half-Life Alyx? Plus, maybe wireless spoiled me, but I kept tripping over the damn cord.

Last edited: