Export thread

Official Goblins (comic) Thread

Limit: 500

phil

phil

Goblins

Ok, so the new update should be up tomorrow, but I still want to see what people think before we find out if Chief is going to live or die.

It really looks like he's going to die here. He's clearly outmatched, and there's no reason why he should be able to win that I've seen. His death would be powerful in that he overcame his cowardice to save his people.

On the other hand though, it wouldn't be the first time Thunt has pulled a character out from the brink of death at the last minute. There's a number of ways Chief -could- live through this, but all of them would be incredibly convenient. Again though, it wouldn't really be the first time.

Math242

Math242

I think he's a goner.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

When is he supposed to be doing the next Tempts Fate comic?

phil

phil

I think he's still waiting for his wife to color them in. She's been really sick lately, which is also why Tuesday's update was postponed until tomorrow.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I admit, I'm really hoping for Chief to live. Granted, it would be a truly remarkable death: a once-cowardly chief stands up to an implacable, unbeatable paladin, knowing he'll end up dead but also knowing he'll buy time for his kin to make a run for it. That being said, I think there's still potential in Chief for character development, so I hope Thunt will keep him alive, even by the skin of his teeth.

Also, a party without a primary healer is in serious trouble.

Terrik

Terrik

Maybe he'll die and be ressurected one day for some reason by Minmax and Co.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Kore won't die, he is prophesied to kill Forgath.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I think Chief will live, simply because it would suck so very very much for him to die.

My guess is that the other goblins will turn back and help Chief. They won't be able to beat Kore, but they'll manage to escape.

Also, does anyone feel like the prophecy about Forgath's death is close to coming true? All the pieces are coming into play: the serpent (Kin), friends becoming enemies (Minmax) and love fueling hate (Kin and Minmax are getting rather doe-eyed about each other).

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Math242

Math242

poor sob has no chance

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh, and Tempts Fate just got updated.

D

Dubyamn

Yeah it was pretty much hopeless from the beginning but i do hope that he can make it even if it removes some of Kore's intractable and completionist nature.

phil

phil

Can he heal himself while in the negative? Maybe if he stabilizes? I forget the rules.

D

Dubyamn

Can he heal himself while in the negative? Maybe if he stabilizes? I forget the rules.
No once you're in the negatives you are knocked unconscious. The joke in Goblins is that nobody ever shuts up when they are in negatives so they are just paralyzed. So he can stabilize and then heal up naturally till he gets to 0 and then heal up magically.

phil

phil

Holy shit!

I mean, holy shit!

Did you see that?!

Terrik

Terrik

Holy shit!

FnordBear

FnordBear

Why hasnt Kore lost his paladin powers for that??? 0_o

D

Dubyamn

Why hasnt Kore lost his paladin powers for that??? 0_o
There is a prestige class called Grey Guard that allows paladins to torture without losing their status.

Of course considering everything else that Kore has done and the fact that when he lays on hands it apprently damns souls to an eternity of torture it's pretty obvious that he isn't keeping his powers through a prestige class.

It all adds to the mystery of Kore and continues to make him a hated opponent.

Math242

Math242

That bastard makes goblinslayer look like a freaking angel

holy shit ³

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I don't think Kore using Lay on Hands on you condemns your soul. I think that's just... the... ummm... the whatchamacallit color thingie? ... the one that magic items get depending on who's using them? The same glow you can see highlighting Ears's armor when Chief cast Bull's Strength on him.

I think the heads are somehow connected to the people Kore has killed. I think I recognize Hawl from there, and maybe his adopted dwarven son. But whether that means Kore actually enslaves their souls or if it's just part of his glow, I dunno. Not enough data.

phil

phil

So I'm wondering if Kore is cursed to do this stuff, or if like he's just some player that doesn't play by certain rules like MinMax and how he'll trade weird stuff for bonuses.

Like he is a paladin because he likes to solo with them but he just said "fuck the alignments, I'm going to be an asshole"

Reguardless I don't know if the GAP will turn back for chief or not.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

There's a part of me that hopes that the screams are not made by Chief... but by Kore.

Think about. Chief's at a point-blank range, he's got his spear within arm's reach, Kore is clearly thinking he has the upper hand and is focused on cutting the goblin's leg off... and doesn't react in time if Chief thrusts his spear at, say, that eye-slit.

I'm just sayin'...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Argh! Damn you people! I was up way too late last night reading the Goblins archives. Why must you talk about cool stuff that I wasn't already a fan of?

bhamv3

bhamv3

GO VORPAL!!!

Also, where does Complains keep his sword?

Terrik

Terrik

Awww...

Dave

Dave

I'm glad this is their choice.

phil

phil

This shit?

This shit right here?

This shit that you are witness to right here?

This shit just got real

Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

I feel horrible for laughing at the mustache.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

This shit?

This shit right here?

This shit just got real
QFT

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

SEÑOR VORPAL KICKASSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

phil

phil

I feel horrible for laughing at the mustache.
Mustache=srsface.

phil

phil

This shit?

This shit right here?

This shit just got real
It just got even more real.

Math242

Math242

OH SHI-

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh man, look what that bearded bastard did to Chief... :mad:

bhamv3

bhamv3

On the one hand, GO VORPAL!

On the other hand, I'm reminded of Leroy Jenkins.

Also... CHIEF'S HAND! BASTARD!

Steve

Steve

I must admit I never read Goblins despite the various threads dedicated to the strip over the years. But this arc has got me hooked. I dare say this has gone from being a strip I ignored to a must read.

Iaculus

Then again, folks, this is Goblins. We all know what the outcome will be here.

*Kore raises his axe at just the right angle*

*SPLUTCH*

Wahad

Wahad

The axe passed through him. Oh my. I guess any doubt of Kore being an actual paladin has flown out the window.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh crap.

phil

phil

Ok, I don't know how they're getting out of this with everyone alive.

If Kore can totally demolish Ears' armor like that I don't want to think what a direct hit, or even a crit from those axes would do to someone like Thaco or Vorpal.

maybe if they can bull rush him off the cliff?

bhamv3

bhamv3

I think this storyline is going to be the end of Thaco. I just have a bad feeling about this.

It'd be cool of Fumbles could take out Kore with an amazing dodging maneuver though. After declaring it, of course.

Dave

Dave

Looking more like a TPK every second...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

If there was ever a time for Thaco's THAC0 to be critically important, it is now.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It'd be cool of Fumbles could take out Kore with an amazing dodging maneuver though. After declaring it, of course.
Nah, I'm thinking this is where Complains being part-demon comes into play. That pain in his arm isn't just the badly healed break. It's some sort of transformation.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Here comes the previously unexplained Deus Ex Machina again to the rescue...

Lunari

Here comes the previously unexplained Deus Ex Machina again to the rescue...
Deus Ex Machina implies a contrived or unnatural occurrence. If it is something with the demon side, it is within the story that already exists with backstory. The shield's power was described before as well. I would agree with it being a Deus if someone suddenly turned out to be a demon and didn't know it or if a previously non magic item suddenly had a godly ability.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Deus Ex Machina implies a contrived or unnatural occurrence. If it is something with the demon side, it is within the story that already exists with backstory. The shield's power was described before as well. I would agree with it being a Deus if someone suddenly turned out to be a demon and didn't know it or if a previously non magic item suddenly had a godly ability.
More than that, if the demon part comes into play there will be repercussions. A Deus Ex Machina usually resolves things without consequences, things are fixed and we don't speak of them again.

However, I think Piotyr may be talking about Kevich Gritland, the character profile that's up right now, and a previous owner of the Axe of Prissan. The line "Kevin remembered wondering if the poisons made from the unexplored waters of the swampgate would kill a paladin. A smile formed on his dry, cracked lips as he considered the answer. Absolutely." in particular seems well suited to killing Kore out of nowhere. Oh wow, Big Ear's axe passed right through Kore, but it delivered poison that helped win the fight anyway. (Although that would question why Big Ears wasn't poisoned as well.)

Piotyr

Piotyr

I rather enjoy Goblins for the most part, but I think its weakest aspect is the author's inability to weave important plot hints into the natural flow. He's done this before with the Saral Caine battle, where he basically took a break from the action for a four paragraph exposition about things nobody else could possibly have known before. Sure, it's not exactly a Deus Ex Machina, but it's a very important plot point that none of the characters could possibly know about, to the point where the team is now accidentally fumbling their way to success in situations. Like Thaco knocking Goblinslayer into the pipe by chance with a critical hit. Maybe that kind of luck can happen once, but it's the constant savior of a Goblin party that is inadvertently getting better by the use of outside happenings that seemingly had no bearing on the plot until that particular moment in the story, at which point the author actually has to break away from the comic and explain everything at once.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Then again, maybe the shoddy writing is intentional and the reason things don't make sense is because the GM is writing around his party's apparent lucky streak?

bhamv3

bhamv3

The Kevich Gritland page throws into doubt the previous story of the history of the Axe of Prissan. I believe Kore's come into contact with the Axe before (or might even have been a previous owner, I can't remember), so he might know the Axe isn't a paladin-only item, and that the history automatically conveyed to each user isn't accurate. It's also possible he's discovered the true nature of the Axe, and it's related to his quest to eliminate all evil.

On a somewhat related note, can anyone figure out what Ears's plan is? He's tied a rope to the Axe and then hurled it into a tree, challenging Kore to go get it, while holding on to the rope.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The Kevich Gritland page throws into doubt the previous story of the history of the Axe of Prissan. I believe Kore's come into contact with the Axe before (or might even have been a previous owner, I can't remember), so he might know the Axe isn't a paladin-only item, and that the history automatically conveyed to each user isn't accurate. It's also possible he's discovered the true nature of the Axe, and it's related to his quest to eliminate all evil.
Hmm, I thought that Kevich doubted the history of the axe because he was evil, a little crazy, and hated paladins so much he couldn't believe anything they said. We've known since the start that the axe can be used by non-paladins, since Saral Caine had it before Big Ears killed him. Saral killed the paladin that had the axe before him, and had no idea of the history of the weapon.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Kore is obsessive to the point of myopia, isn't he? I guess when you're as dangerous as he is, you can afford to ignore strategy.

Dave

Dave

I think Chief is dead. He was at -9 at the same time as THAC0. THAC0 got a cure light, but Chief...?

phil

phil

:(

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

*whimper*

bhamv3

bhamv3

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

TommiR

TommiR

But they can have him resurrected, can't they? I'm more worried about the fact that the party is now without a dedicated healer.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

But they can have him resurrected, can't they? I'm more worried about the fact that the party is now without a dedicated healer.
Two problems with that:

1.) They can't just take him to the nearest town and have a priest do it. Which means...

2.) They'd need to find another Goblin with class levels to do it, which is clearly rare. They'd also need to find the reagents for it. Last time I checked, you needed a diamond or something to resurrect someone in D&D.

TommiR

TommiR

Two problems with that:

1.) They can't just take him to the nearest town and have a priest do it. Which means...

2.) They'd need to find another Goblin with class levels to do it, which is clearly rare. They'd also need to find the reagents for it. Last time I checked, you needed a diamond or something to resurrect someone in D&D.[/QUOTE]
True of course, though I'd like to specify that they require the co-operation of a creature capable of casting 7th level clerical spells (such as a 13th lvl cleric). Plus the material components, of course.

Not easy to be sure, but perhaps do-able. Whether they consider the diversion of effort from their main task (becoming defenders of their tribe) worth it is another matter - at the end of the day, Chief is just another goblin killed by adventurers.

phil

phil

Isn't it like 500 gp worth of diamonds as the component? Getting that just by itself could be a huge undertaking.

Maybe they'll find some other way. I wouldn't be surprised if Thaco knows of some legendary artifact that can do that.

I'm thinking fumbles might take cleric levels after this in honor of chief.

phil

phil

Due to family coming over for Christmas, Christmas shopping, Christmas drinking, Christmas stressing and especially Christmas laughing, the updates on Dec 21st, Dec 24th and Dec 28th will be character background pages telling about the previous owners of the Axe of Prissan. From the 31st on, updates will return to the usual comic pages.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Everyone!
While I can't really blame him for taking time off during the holiday season, I'm disappointed that there won't be any story progression updates until the new year.

Hopefully he'll wrap up this a little more before jumping ship to either Dies Horribly or Minmax and crew.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I like Cal. The axe has had some very interesting wielders.

Wahad

Wahad

I like Cal. The axe has had some very interesting wielders.
Seconded. Cal is probably my favorite of them all so far.

bhamv3

bhamv3

GO COMPLAINS!!

I think this is as close to a "WTF" expression as Kore's ever going to get.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Please let there be an update showing Kore's ass being kicked soon... He deserves it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Nah, I'm thinking this is where Complains being part-demon comes into play. That pain in his arm isn't just the badly healed break. It's some sort of transformation.
Yeah, I saw this coming but I think it was made even more obvious with Cal and the talk of his IME having frost properties.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Should I have noticed this before? Kore's IME looks like wings. Wings made of severed heads dangling on chains. *shudder*

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm wondering if Kore's just a paladin of some deranged, evil god, or if the appearance of his "holy" powers is diferent because we're seeing it from the perspective of the kind of things he kills.

bhamv3

bhamv3

The Fortune Teller mentioned that Kore is cursed, which probably relates to why he's such a... different... paladin. Also, there's speculation that he's stuck inside his armor, partly based on the chains on his chest, and partly because his armor doesn't appear to have seams where there logically should be (such as his gauntlets).

figmentPez

figmentPez

But was the curse placed on him against his will, or did he willingly take it up in order to gain power?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I seem to recall that tugging on a dwarf's beard is a big faux pas. I wonder if Kore is taking personal offense at this, or if he just expects such behavior from "evil" creatures.

And I hope that Thunt isn't planning what I think he's planning. Just how much is the group going to loose in this fight?

I don't actually know a lot about D&D. I know paladins are only supposed to fight fair, but can attacking from behind cause Ears to loose his paladin status?

bhamv3

bhamv3

According to what I've read on their forums, paladins are forbidden from attacking by surprise, but there's nothing specifically preventing a paladin from attacking an enemy's back. Otherwise opponents would just turn their backs to the paladin every time they encounter one.

This doesn't apply here though, since Kore knows full well that Big Ears is there, and it wouldn't be a surprise attack. Plus, Big Ears knows the Axe is ineffective against Kore, so it might not count as an attack at all.

Of course, we still have to take into account the fact that the Goblins world isn't typical D&D. Kore, for example, is capable of committing bunches of atrocities while still staying a paladin - the unannounced crossbow bolt into Chief's back being the least of them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the prohibition on Sneak Attacks only kicks in if your doing it from surprise. If the opponent turned his back on you, but has already seen you and you didn't hide, then your only taking advantage of an opportunity that he willfully presented to you. If it was "Can't strike an opponents back, ever" then Paladins in large scale conflicts would lost their powers left and right.

phil

phil

ok, so this is an odd development. I wonder what it really means.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Kore doesn't have a heart, he's going to keep fighting.

(okay, I don't know that, but I don't think this is over.)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wow... that was creative. Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing your DM makes up shit for, because you can't have your big bad just die like that.

Iaculus

It sure as hell hurt him, though.

D

Dubyamn

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the prohibition on Sneak Attacks only kicks in if your doing it from surprise. If the opponent turned his back on you, but has already seen you and you didn't hide, then your only taking advantage of an opportunity that he willfully presented to you. If it was "Can't strike an opponents back, ever" then Paladins in large scale conflicts would lost their powers left and right.
Really the Paladin code is the most controversial 68 words in the entire roleplaying world. You'll have people who say that a paladin who while on a quest to cure a magical disease, stops to save a village from a rampagin ogre should fall because of all the people who died from the disease. On the other hand you have people who say that Kore's actions are the yardstick against which other paladins should be measured.
I think the entire debate is rather silly. It's a game for goodness sake. DMs should use the fall option only in egregess cases and players should be at least aware of how fallhappy their DM is before they roll up a paladin character.

phil

phil

I wonder though, what this means for the Axe of preswhatever. Let's say, for instance, that this killed Kore or at least fucked him up a bit. Would the fact that the axe was used to kill a paladin in this way really mess with the magic mojo keeping the demon inside it at bay?

But of course when you consider that Kore is most likely Cursed and himself is evil does that balance it out?

Dave

Dave

The axe didn't kill anyone. The ROPE, however...

phil

phil

But honestly they wouldn't have been able to kill him without the axe.

Besides, I'm not sure if a technicality really works with this. He still did an evil act with the axe, assuming the black and white idea that a paladin must be good even if they are cursed or breaking the rules or whatever.

D

Dubyamn

But honestly they wouldn't have been able to kill him without the axe.

Besides, I'm not sure if a technicality really works with this. He still did an evil act with the axe, assuming the black and white idea that a paladin must be good even if they are cursed or breaking the rules or whatever.
But it had been used for evil acts before and hadn't released the demon. The prison doesn't seem to require a lack of evil acts so much as an abundance of good. Even then it is pretty easy going about it. I mean we don't know how long Caine had it but I think it was months at the shortest and he probably commited dozens of evil acts with the axe. One grey act at worst probably won't do it.

phil

phil

I think the wall of text backstory says something about a moon cycle or something. He couldn't have had it too long.

I'm not really sure though.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

My money's on "Alive but hurting like hell".

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Untrue. He had no idea what the other guy was going to do, only that he had asked him to throw the axe. Besides, didn't paladins get a revamp recently where it didn't matter if they were good or not, as long as they were in line with their patron's ideals? I think it was done so you could finally be an evil paladin without having to take Blackguard.

phil

phil

Perhaps? Goblins is 3.5 if that matters.

Dave

Dave

Goblins is 3.5 and will not be 4e. But I agree that evil Gods would have Paladins also. In fact, the game I wrote had Paladins as Agents of Balance. If an area had too much good they would swoop in and fuck shit up. If an area was overrun with bad guys, they would come in and put things right. There were also Neutral Paladins who patrolled. So if someone knew a Paladin was in the area they'd be really freaked out.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Honestly, it makes more sense to just make the Paladin class a generic "Holy Warrior fighting for the cause of a deity, with Steel and Soul" than the always good, always lawful, always rigid class. Then you can save things like Blackguard and Greyguard for the fallen ones instead of just every evil/neutral one.

I'd also like to point out NO ONE uses 4E for their comics. It's always 3.5 or sooner.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'd also like to point out NO ONE uses 4E for their comics. It's always 3.5 or sooner.
Actually, DnDorks switched over to 4E, but the updates have been few and far between for a while, and nearly incoherent lately.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Watching Thunt's livestream of drawing. Apparently Nike is now sponsoring Goblins, and Kore's face is the swoosh logo.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh god, Forgoth's about to die...

What I think's going to happen is that Kore is going to attack Kin. Minmax and Forgoth defend kin, Forgoth dies in the process.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

New comic is up.

My money's on the reappearance of the Brassmoon City escapees, now as an adventuring party. I think that was their mage casting Teleport ;)

phil

phil

It's only been a day or two though. It can't be those guys because there's no way they're high enough level now. It would seem like minmax and forgath and kin but again, it's only been a day so how could they have gone through their own dungeon crawl for the thing that teleports them?

Of course that kind of is a problem with the comic. It's been going on for a few years now but it hasn't been really much more than a week, comic time.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

It's only been a day or two though. It can't be those guys because there's no way they're high enough level now.
Maybe they had a lot of random encounters? You know, like killing a million boars in the forest?

bhamv3

bhamv3

There's speculation on their forums that it's actually a proximity trap at the entrance to the dungeon crawl, where you have to face your greatest nemesis. Complains is in the lead, so he's the one who triggered the trap, and now he has to take on a dungeon crawl-generated Minmax.

phil

phil

Wait, what? What would make them come to that conclusion?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Because of the time issues you've already mentioned. If Minmax, Forgoth and Kin managed to complete their dungeon crawl in the time the goblins traveled to the river, then either they really pubstomped the dungeon crawl, or more time has passed than we know. Therefore, it might not be Minmax and company appearing at all.

However, so far Minmax is the only person who calls Complains "Names," so the comic seems to be suggesting that Minmax is the one appearing. Coupled with the fact that dungeon crawls tend to be littered with creative traps, a proximity trap seems to fit.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, it's gonna be a while until we find out. The focus has shifted to Kin, Minmax and Forgath.

Jiarn

Well now we can rule out them being the ones greeting the Goblins.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Ooh, burned! Nice one on Kin ^^

figmentPez

figmentPez

She' so quidorable!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well now we can rule out them being the ones greeting the Goblins.
After going through the archives, I'm wondering if the people they're meeting up with aren't the re-rolled party of humans... you know, the guys who were drow until they got wiped? That's the only group with a spell caster Names would know that could possibly know him.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

After going through the archives, I'm wondering if the people they're meeting up with aren't the re-rolled party of humans... you know, the guys who were drow until they got wiped? That's the only group with a spell caster Names would know that could possibly know him.
I don't think any one of the re-rolled three was a spellcaster... there was the halfling archer, the big-boobed woman with leather armor and the ninja in samurai armor.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't think any one of the re-rolled three was a spellcaster... there was the halfling archer, the big-boobed woman with leather armor and the ninja in samurai armor.
She's not wearing leather armor, she's wearing an Adventurer's Outfit. That's normal clothes, not armor. Besides, it's clear the other two rerolled as their old classes as well.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Heh, if danger is clear enough for Minmax to figure out, it's pretty damn obvious.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Heh, if danger is clear enough for Minmax to figure out, it's pretty damn obvious.
He still had to look twice. I wonder if he was trying to take 20...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

New comic is up. Commencing reading.

Uh-huh...

Uh-huh...

Fair enough...

MUAH-HAA-HAA-HAA-HAA-OO-HOO-HOO-HOO-Hoo-hoo-hooh... Oh my goodness.

D

Dubyamn

God that comic hit on all levels. MinMax perfect, Forgoth: perfect with that smug look on his face in the final panels and Kin was great with her obvious crush on old MinMax.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hee hee hee hee... Penis go boom. A point for Kin ;)

Also, tell me you didn't feel a little tug at your heartstrings at "C'mon Kin, let's go."

figmentPez

figmentPez

Also, tell me you didn't feel a little tug at your heartstrings at "C'mon Kin, let's go."
No, I did not feel a little tug... It was a great big one.

bhamv3

bhamv3

If anyone heard a muffled "pop" just now, it was my mind being blown by the latest update, with the Maze of Many.

This update has so many fun little details to find.

phil

phil

I was looking for an OOtS reference. Maybe I just haven't found it yet though. I like the alt room where forgath is I guess a paladin and has the axe of pressian

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yeah, there's one where Forgath appears to have the Axe, though that doesn't necessarily mean he's a paladin there, since non-paladins apparently can wield the axe too. There's also:

A room with Klik, and Minmax appears to have a metal arm
A room with Kin choking Minmax, as well as a room where Kin and Minmax are making out
A room where Minmax appears to be some kind of fish
Fat Minmax

And a whole bunch of other stuff to spot.

Also, according to their forums, each of the "zoomed in" panels we see in the comic has a corresponding backstory. I'm most interested in the one with a Goblinslayer Kin, I think that one's bizarre.

phil

phil

I'd imagine those are mostly just earlier character designs and or plot developments. Like the first one might just be what each character started out as, while others are concepts he may of had like having One Eye survive the battle and I guess join MM who had gotten to the chest with the shield of wonder and +1 sword.

Dave

Dave

So no matter what they'll get the treasure and not die...it's just a matter of how much time passes in the "real world".

I'd go on that quest as an adventurer every time.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You guys know he's revealed the general ideas behind all of the focused on guys, right? It's on the forums.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm kind of worried about the MinMax that has the Shield of Wonder. That is going to cause no end of havoc when they meet him in the maze.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm kind of worried about the MinMax that has the Shield of Wonder. That is going to cause no end of havoc when they meet him in the maze.
Really? Because I'm pretty sure it's going to cause no end of amusement!

figmentPez

figmentPez

What would Groundhog Day have been like if Phil knew he was reliving the day, but didn't remember any of it? That would have been a very different movie.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What would Groundhog Day have been like if Phil knew he was reliving the day, but didn't remember any of it? That would have been a very different movie.
No, it'd be the first 15-20 minutes of it, over and over. The only reason the situation works out in the comic is because they are removing/adding factors each run, which makes it different every time. Without added factors, Bill Murray would have been stuck forever.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

You guys know he's revealed the general ideas behind all of the focused on guys, right? It's on the forums.
Where?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This should be the post.

The realities are described in the order in which the panels appear in the comic. So the first alternate reality we see is #87. This is all transcribed directly from what Thunt told us in the chat. There was some information he was not able to reveal, especially with #16 because of spoilers due to ongoing plotlines. Everything is pretty much a direct quote from what Thunt said, but I put quotes around a few things just to make it clear that it's his wording (like the "much" part from #88). Also, Thunt gave me permission to post all this on the forums, so enjoy.

And sorry if some of it is a little hard to read, but Thunt talks fast.

218 realities represented (meaning 218 parties in the maze concurrently) in maze of many, including the comic's reality

Reality #87. Characters are able to freely multiclass as paladins with no alignment restrictions. Cleric/paladin Forgath and fighter/paladin Minmax.

Reality #9. Evil reality, evil god gained more control than he should have, his "thing" is insanity, taken over most of the "realm," most individuals are hardcore chaotic evil and absolutely insane. Forgath was not effected by evil god. When the god took over, the world became hellish and very very hot, so people wear a lot less clothing. Evil conversion wasn't sudden, but gradually over the course of a year, like a sickness (it hurt =P).

Reality #114 in that alternate reality, when MM and Forgath attacked goblin warcamp, drow died the same. Forgath was killed in battle with young and beautiful. Big Ears was killed instead of one eye. With Forgath dead, Minmax had revelation about goblins not all evil, when One Eye got upset over Big Ears dying. they were drawn together in friendship when they were feeling the same over the loss of their respective best friends. eventually grew into a full blown friendship. Minmax had successfully killed complains and got to poorly locked chest first and that's how he killed complains. There was a lot of animosity at first, but eventually became close friends. They went into Brassmoon together, MM wears "This is a Helmet" piece around his neck. Minmax in this world is not happy, due to what he did and Forgath dying; why he has bags under his eyes. No GAP in this reality. They used cloak to sneak One Eye into Brassmoon. Met GS at his house and fought and killed him. Since Forgath died, no one made MM buy pants.

Reality #51. Wizmax universe. Not much story, focuses on differences. Minmax still minmaxer, but focused on intelligence. Kin is a moron in this universe, still Kin just "absolutely stupid." Forgath didn't get helmet because her dad didn't intend her to be adventurer. MM's charisma is terrible, he's very rude, no idea how to interact with normal human beings. Overuses intelligence to such a degree he'd make any DM facepalm. Like "if he got backstabbed by rogue, he'd say 'with my intelligence I'd know the liklihood of being attacked in this area and so weeks ago I'd fit armor into the back of my shirt. I'd calculate all known variables.'" Still got stabbed by Complains, Complains still survived and GAP was formed. Forgath still Forgath. MM's belt is in binary.

Reality #16. with girl looking GS. Can't be talked about. Kin is the one who looks like GS, has the same part wood "situation" as GS does in normal reality. Minmax still a fighter, wearing chainmail.

Reality #88. Minmax and Forgath are the same as in normal universe. Difference is the goblins are "much much much much much much" tougher. Goblins can tear through solid steel with their bare claws (hands are twice the normal size, other appearance is the same), are very fast and almost impossible to damage. Same injuries, just more extreme damage from them (helm and eye). Complains almost took off Minmax's head. Scars are all over from fighting goblins. MM and Forgath have been on the run constantly, universe all about escaping goblins because "they're a'coming." They still have warcamps, but formed from overpopulation as goblins have no predators. Brassmoon not budding metropolis, it's very combat oriented spending all it's resources to stay alive from goblins. Need all their money for city defense and stuff, very little in way of replacement armor. Won't say who owns axe, but demon escaped the axe and goblins destroyed him by ganging up on him. Didn't seek out goblins, stumbled upon them. Would be stupid to seek them out, but they're everywhere. Not a fair universe to play D&D in. Only other creatures because goblins desire it to be so

In normal reality (not reality #1), Thunt was gonna have GAP to use cloaks to sneak into Brassmoon, like One Eye did, many alternate realities are from early drafts of the main story. In our reality, another adventuring party stopped the evil god from evil reality from succeeding in turning the world EVIL.

Dave

Dave

Yesterday's update is...just....huh?

Disconnected

what the hell happened to this comic. i stop reading it for a bit and it goes all lost/fringe/groundhog day/back to the future/ on me. I'd go back to catch up but all I see is words. It's like a friggin ctrl-alt-del panel. x 3.
Ah well.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You mean you missed the adoration of peeing on the divine servant's sword?

Jiarn

Well I guess time doesn't pass in the real world while they're in there or they're going to be way into the future when they get out based on the amount of failures they've had.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ahahahaha! The obvious cliche shows up. I really should have seen that version coming.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I kinda feel bad for the Zombie group. They are never going to win because any zombie based victory is going to involve converting others into zombies. This doesn't work well when your on a time limit.

Dave

Dave

I kinda feel bad for the Zombie group. They are never going to win because any zombie based victory is going to involve converting others into zombies. This doesn't work well when your on a time limit.
And your best mode of transportation is a slow shambling.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Well, the multiverse is infinite, so, there is a infinite number of groups that are a even slower.

Minmax seems to be the only constant among groups, there is even two "groups" that is only him.

The group with red helmets, are they a reference to something?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Thunt tweets:
FMK Reality 160: Magic in the air will "cook" ppl unless they're covered in spikes which create a continued path that allows the energy to..
(cont)..safely flow through them. Preventing them from becoming smoking craters. This is due to a botched wish from a low level wizard.

There are 217 alternate reality Minmax/Kin/Forgaths with canon background written out. I'll tweet about 1 every 20 followers starting @ 3620

figmentPez

figmentPez

More tweets:

FMK Reality 107: Minmax's character is based purely on Charisma and his Charisma is based purely on his "perfect" hair. In this reality...

(cont).. Minmax almost killed Kin, not because she's a monster, but because her hair is "out of control & therefore she MUST be evil".

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New comic is up. Looks like Psion Minmax is a total psycho...

BTW, when is the next Tempts Fate supposed to go up? The goal was met a long time ago.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

New comic is up. Looks like Psion Minmax is a total psycho...

BTW, when is the next Tempts Fate supposed to go up? The goal was met a long time ago.
Interesting, specially because in TVTropes there are a lot of people complaining about how the entire thing makes victory something obvious.

phil

phil

I didn't know psions could asplode things like that. No wonder I heard people say they were OP.

figmentPez

figmentPez

More tweets from Thunt

FMK Reality 32: Complains' Shield Of Wonder turned Minmax into an aquatic humaniod. He needs to soak himself at least once / 2 days. (cont)
.. And Forgath has found magic armour made of mud (yes, it's effective. Don't ask). Kin has much higher strength and is pretty buff.
The mud armour offers different bonuses, depending on whether it's wet or dry. This group can be seen in today's sneak peek.

Dave

Dave

sp_alternatesfullsize.jpg

Big version.
Added at: 08:44
Hmm. Resizer FTL.

sp_alternatesfullsize.jpg

figmentPez

figmentPez

More tweets from Thunt:

FMK Reality 109: Minmax is a large, round blob-like humaniod. He is immune to all non-magical damage other than slashing or piercing which..
.. does x8 damage to him. So he won't let anyone near him use sharp objects (other than himself). Forgath has been forced to modify the...
..spike on his helmet so it isn't sharp. Kin is completely repulsed by Minmax, who can defensively ooze slime like a slug.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

"This guy's an idiot." - I loled

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Me too

figmentPez

figmentPez

More tweets from Thunt:
FMK Reality 22: When Goblinslayer had Kin, he carved TOY into her forehead. Later, when Minmax made the necklace for Kin, he mistook the..
..word on her forehead as her name, so the necklace said TOY. Kin became enraged and the two fought. Minmax, thinking Kin to be a crazy..
..monster, cut off one of her arms before Forgath convinced him not to kill her. On Forgath's insistance, they adventure together, but are..
..bitter enemies. (Sorry for the multiple posts like this. Hope I'm not annoying you guys)

Jiarn

No way, these tweets are awesome. Thanks for posting them or I'd have never seen them.

figmentPez

figmentPez

No way, these tweets are awesome. Thanks for posting them or I'd have never seen them.
Heh, that parenthetical comment was actually part of Thunt's original tweet, but it's nice to know I'm being helpful.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New comic is up.

I'm almost certain the point of the trap is to see which team is going to kill themselves with inter-party violance first. Once one team is dead, the door will open for the other team... assuming they don't both get skewered by the blades anyway.

Then again, maybe the door opens when the blades reach a certain distance from the wall and it's just a test to see if the parties can survive that long.

Dave

Dave

Or maybe they have to push a button on the ceiling and to reach it would require teamwork.

Emrys

Emrys

I think the two teams have to push the door simultaneously in order for it to open. They can kill each other later but for now, they have to cooperate.

Dave

Dave

Or that.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like we were all wrong.

It's opened with confusion and closed with understanding.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I love this comic.

figmentPez

figmentPez

More tweets from Thunt:
FMK Reality 92: Goblinslayer, having captured & beaten Kin, had never raped her. This left Kin considerably less traumatised. Due to this...
..and other variables different from the 'prime' reality, Kin & Minmax engaged in sexual relations during her birthday party & haven't...
..stopped since. This had been annoying Forgath (who lost his beloved helmet at the goblin warcamp) more & more as time passed.
Next FMK Reality at 3,740 followers and every 20 followers after that.

figmentPez

figmentPez

More tweets from Thunt:

FMK Reality 171: Dies & Klik joined the goblins adventure party (GAP), Klik was seperated from Dies & the GAP during the battle in Brassmoon
... The drider from the Brassmoon dungeon survived by hiding in the city. After FMK killed Goblinslayer, they encountered the drider...
... then defeated him in battle, but Minmax lost his arm in the fight. Klik saw this and replaced his arm, thus bonding with Minmax.
Reality 171 can be seen on this page. http://www.goblinscomic.com/02112011-4 Next reality posted at 3,760 followers.

And as for the most recent comic, I think this is a problem that can be solved with violence.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Tempts Fate 10 is finally finished:
http://www.goblinscomic.com/tempts-fate-10/

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That lasted almost 9 months. Does it usually take that long?

phil

phil

No, though they do tend to get longer and longer each time.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hehehe, there's Sohmer and de Souza as zombies in the background. You can tell by the beard and the Red Bull...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hehehe, there's Sohmer and de Souza as zombies in the background. You can tell by the beard and the Red Bull...
Phil Foglio too, as he's wearing his awesome bowler like he always does.

figmentPez

figmentPez

More tweets from Thunt:

FMK Reality 10: Ace-Max travels alone. He is a respectful nod to Ace Rimmer ----> http://tinyurl.com/5udhbma

Ace-Max can be seen in the bottom right corner of panel 1 here ---> http://tinyurl.com/6gzlugy He will not be seen in the comic again.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Visual guide to the FMK realities: http://duke.a-comics.ru/fmk/

And Kin is so cute in the most recent comic. She brings out all of my protective instincts.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New comic is up and we're already down one party.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

New comic is up and we're already down one party.
Well, they do have a lot where that came from...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I have to admit, I almost expected two loud 'POP!' sounds in the second-to-last panel :p

figmentPez

figmentPez

More tweets from Thunt:

FMK Reality #145: Saral Caine killed Ears in their fight, so after the other goblins escaped Brassmoon, Forgath & Minmax (both paladins)...
..fought & killed Goblinslayer & Saral. Forgath then claimed the Axe of Prissan. Kin's trauma caused her to become disturbingly violent.
FMK #145 can be seen on this page ----> http://www.goblinscomic.com/02112011-4/

figmentPez

figmentPez

More tweets from Thunt:

FMK Reality #37: In this world, being non-evil is punishable by death. FMK are not evil and therefore must constantly pretend to be. (cont)
Minmax is terrible at pretending to be evil (despite is "awesome, evil looking cape"). This pisses off Kin & Forgath on a daily basis.(cont)
This is why Forgath & Kin are clearly angry at Minmax when shown on this page. http://www.goblinscomic.com/02182011-3/

figmentPez

figmentPez

I wonder what effect this will have on the comics:
30 Days Of Bieber: The Effects On A 37 Year Old Man.
Thunt is planning to listen to Justin Bieber music almost non-stop for the month of April.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I think he will have to make more Sanity checks than if he went to see a live sex performance between Cthulhu and Nyarlanthotep.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ha, this comic reminds me of dozens of conversations my sisters and I had when we were younger. We never agreed on the names for colors. I'm so glad that nothing important hinged on that.

Dave

Dave

Weird transition between groups, though.

bhamv3

bhamv3

OH SHIIIIIII...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

What the hell is that thing?

Emrys

Emrys

That, my dear, is the purest essense of nightmare fuel ever distilled.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Mr. Fingers.... *shudder*

Why do I get the feeling that people who have played D&D with Thunt as DM walk away jumping at shadows and then sleep with the lights on?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Mr. Fingers.... *shudder*

Why do I get the feeling that people who have played D&D with Thunt as DM walk away jumping at shadows and then sleep with the lights on?
Considering his penchant for death traps and puzzles, it's more like they are afraid to step foot in his house.

phil

phil

I think what creeps me out the most about Mr. Fingers is that he is silent, except for the tump on the glass. You can't hear him screaming or anything.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Mr. Fingers has only gotten creepier. If he gets out, it's going to be big trouble.

Terrik

Terrik

Damnit that thing is scary

figmentPez

figmentPez

Klik has a Twitter account and Thunt says everything Klik tweets is canon for the Goblins universe.

The tweets so far:

Klik

Klik Klik

. @BJKWhite Hey, what was the name of that Adam Sandler movie, the one where he had the magic remote? // Klik

:rofl:
Added at: 23:26
and I liked the latest comic as well.

phil

phil

UH OH!
Added at: 17:03
I like how there's Grem who can dodge all this stuff through years of intense training and fighting, and then there's Dies who can dodge all this stuff through years of being afraid of everything.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Bye bye, barrier floor.

Hello, imminent arrival of Mister Fingers.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Congratulations Thunt! May you two have a long and happy life together.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That proposal story is beautiful and hilarious at the same time. Kudos to Mr. and future Mrs. Thunt.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

This calls for... a victory dance!

Terrik

Terrik

OH SHI---

figmentPez

figmentPez

OH SHI---
Yeah, pretty much. That is horrifying.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like it's time for Mr. Fingers to start giving out free massages...

Emrys

Emrys

I'm sleeping with the light on tonight.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm sleeping with the light on tonight.
Just don't imagine anybody playfully tickling along your spine...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

You're an evil man, N_R :p

Emrys

Emrys

Just don't imagine anybody playfully tickling along your spine...
Oh, thank you, NR. Now I'm sleeping with the light and my stuffed dragon.
One day, I'll visit Finland and my vengeance will be swift and terrible.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You're welcome, Em ;) And I know, KO. But admit it, you like me that way.
And Em... You're welcome to try ;) Heck, I'll let you sleep on the couch while you plot.

Emrys

Emrys

Yes, but would you actually let me sleep?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'd be more worried about the couch trying to eat you. It has been known to do that.
Click-click...

Terrik

Terrik

This thing continues to scare the shit out of me.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

huh... for some reason your fear of Mr.Fingers makes him less scary to me.

phil

phil

Well.....time to re-roll?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I dunno. I'm wondering if Mr. Fingers is going to have some sort of reaction to being exposed to the air. He was apparently in some sort of water or liquid under that glass. He might not react so well to being out of it (or, he might get even stronger...)

phil

phil

All I know is that Klissk (spelling?) touched him, and now his arm melted off.

Wahad

Wahad

Yeah, thats kind of...really creepy. (It's K'selliss, by the way) Makes me wonder why the key isn't working, though...Do they need a bit of Mr. Fingers instead?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, thats kind of...really creepy. (It's K'selliss, by the way) Makes me wonder why the key isn't working, though...Do they need a bit of Mr. Fingers instead?
I'm going to laugh if Mr. Fingers runs up, grabs the key, opens the door, and then tells the jerks who broke his pillar, toppled his statue, destroyed his glass house, AND ate his finger to get the hell out of here before they catch his contagious flesh eating virus.

I'd laugh even louder if he thanks them for letting him out of his prison. Seriously, it's the kind of thing the creator would pull on us all.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I have a feeling the group should have been more careful in choosing what tube to take, but it's not like they had much time to debate it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I honestly don't see the problem with them running. We already know Mr. Fingers will stop for the blue flesh... so just cut off the other arm and take your chances.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Can lizardfolk regrow limbs? I mean, I know it's not going to happen in the blink of an eye like something out of DBZ, but does K'seliss have a chance of getting his arms back in the future?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Can lizardfolk regrow limbs? I mean, I know it's not going to happen in the blink of an eye like something out of DBZ, but does K'seliss have a chance of getting his arms back in the future?
Lizard folk tend to have lots of Shamans and Clerics in their groups. He could just get Restoration or Regeneration cast on him or something similar and it would re-grow the limbs. D&D has a lot of options for this thing, especially 3-3.5.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, the new comic answers my question about the innate ability of Lizardfolk, though thanks Ashburner for cluing me in on D&D rules in general. I didn't know limbs could be regrown via spell.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh crap, I think this is the end of K'sellis. That would suck, he's pretty cool.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Yeah... Unfortunately without his arms he's pretty much doomed to die in any case. I mean, going unarmed into a dungeon? Only a monk might survive that.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, that was unexpected.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well, that was unexpected.
I was actually expecting him to release his tail and just run off, like some species of lizards can do.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I think we can officially count K'seliss as "dead meat" now. He's got no arms, his leg and tail are infected, and likely Mr Fingers is touching all over him like a Catholic priest in the boys' locker room.

Math242

Math242

grem's next !

bhamv3

bhamv3

I think we can officially count K'seliss as "dead meat" now. He's got no arms, his leg and tail are infected, and likely Mr Fingers is touching all over him like a Catholic priest in the boys' locker room.
Unless there's more to the infection than we've seen so far. For all we know, this is how Mr. Fingers reproduces, and we'll see lots of K'seliss-Finger hybrids next.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Unless there's more to the infection than we've seen so far. For all we know, this is how Mr. Fingers reproduces, and we'll see lots of K'seliss-Finger hybrids next.
Oooh, Emrys is not gonna sleep again. Ever.

Emrys

Emrys

Oh, thank you, NR. I'm going to need two dragons and a teddy bear tonight.

Jiarn

HE'S STILL ALIVE?!?!?! Wow.... just wow.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh, thank you, NR. I'm going to need two dragons and a teddy bear tonight.
What did I do? :(

phil

phil

HE'S STILL ALIVE?!?!?! Wow.... just wow.

I doubt for much longer

though I think he just might take Mr. Fingers down with him?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Loot!

phil

phil

How much do you think Grem has hurt Mr. Fingers? I mean a sword and spear to the face has to count for something, but if I remember correct you can't crit undead? So not as much as we'd hope.

plus Mr. Fingers has a surprisingly low amount of hp! average of 28! Grem has a shot at not turning into blue goop like K'isless will (hopefully off panel)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New comic is up and WOW... the Lizard man can kick some serious ass, even without his arms.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I wonder if he'll die from that bite... K'seliss, I mean.

figmentPez

figmentPez

If it does kill him, that's a pretty bad-ass way to go out.

And they'll say of him that, "He died the way he lived, eating and not being eaten!"

Jiarn

No.... :(

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

No.... :(
He went out like a BOSS. He ate something that was going to eat him, while being eaten alive by disease. That's pretty awesome.

figmentPez

figmentPez

That was... wow.

Math242

Math242

Man... Ultimate Badass.

Dave

Dave

His saving throws must suck.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh man...

Emrys

Emrys

Damn. Just... damn.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, I guess we have to wait to see what kind of loot Grem finds.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Holy crap!

This is one of the "alternate universes" from the Maze of Many. The one with the uber-goblins. I knew they were uber but that's even more badass than I was expecting.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Huge "Tempt's Fate" drive coming up.

As for the main comic. "Splying" hahaha!

Emrys

Emrys

I think I broke a rib from laughing so hard.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Two things:

1. That is a pretty cool mechanism in the current comic.

2. Holy crap, Thunt has already raised over $20,000 with this Tempts Fate.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That's gotta be enough to make a decent down payment... how much does he need for the house?

phil

phil

I think the bank said he needed 30k ASAP or it would be forclosed on.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Up to 27k. If this man does not know how much people love him (and his comic) I hope he has a good idea now. Hope he is taking into account the tax consequences (not sure how Canadian tax law works).

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Watching live, they just hit 30,000 a couple minutes ago.

phil

phil

I need to start a fuckin' webcomic.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Loved the punchline for the latest comic!
:rofl:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hee hee hee... Hole 1, Minmax 0.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I actually lol'ed at this one.

Dave

Dave

So any ideas what the evil group that captured them wants? Are they evil or do they just look like it?

figmentPez

figmentPez

For those of you who don't follow Thunt on Twitter:

"FMK Reality #207: Minmax is an anti-paladin who hunts Big Ears (also an anti-pally) who weilds the Hammer Of Jale. A powerful weapon that holds a trapped angel who wants to break free & save the realm. The hammer must be used for evil to keep the angel trapped inside."

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So their Blackguards?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Seems like everything has to have an antithesis so I suppose it's fitting for the Axe of Prissan to have one too.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I am loving today's comic. Well, I'm loving the storyline in general, but the tension in today's update is great.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I wonder how Thunt is going to keep them from having all of that sweet loot they are carrying... because those guys have A LOT of nice stuff.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I liked the current enemy MinMax a lot, so my the character for the next campaign I'm playing in is gonna smoke pipe too :3 (LN Fighter on a quest to become a Priest of Kelemvor).

Dave

Dave

Jesus Christ! MinMax is getting fucked up!!

bhamv3

bhamv3

We already know he's going to survive the Maze though.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Kin is so awesome. I love that she and MinMax are learning to work together.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Preview of the work Thunt is doing on Tempts Fate
AYeMzjnCQAAdsvn.jpg large.jpg

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Considering how much money everyone has given him, it had better be THE BEST COMIC EVER. Because seriously, his fans pulled off the impossible for him and deserve it.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

*Reads today's*

....the next strip is going to be fucked up.

figmentPez

figmentPez

*Reads today's*

....the next strip is going to be fucked up.
I dunno, consider how the last bit of foreshadowing got derailed.

bhamv3

bhamv3

The two of them need to kiss. Like right now.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

The two of them need to kiss. Like right now.
:eek:

That is really not what I was thinking.

bhamv3

bhamv3

:eek:

That is really not what I was thinking.
But it's what you're thinking now.

And you can't stop.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

So wait, you guys want the two minmax to kiss?

phil

phil

Everyone starts kissing everyone.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Kiss hard, like you mean it!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Phew... I thought I was the only one getting that familiar feeling in the lower quarters...

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Not a chance. (Real) Kin is about to murder her violently and it's going to be amazing.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Not a chance. (Real) Kin is about to murder her violently and it's going to be amazing.
I'm betting that she crushes her, with gooey bits and ichor spraying out like she cracked open a lobster. But I'm not sure how she's going to get free though.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I thought that Real!Kin would use Scorpion!Kin own stinger against her, possibly, targeting the heart.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Wait until they meet the rule 63 version of themselves, and seduction rolls ensue.

I thought that Real!Kin would use Scorpion!Kin own stinger against her, possibly, targeting the heart.
That was my thought.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Of course Real!Kim could always make out with Scorpion!Kim's corpse later on. I pretty sure there will be a fanart showing that somewhere.

phil

phil

oh god. I hope the next one just has kin killing scorpikin and then makes out with the body only for no one to ever bring it up.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Don't scorpions have a second heart in their tails or am I spewing shit all over the place.
I am not sure if Arthropods have hearts in general, however, considering that Scorpion!Kin is a centaur-like creature, she could have a human-ish heart in her superior chest and another one in her inferior chest.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I am not sure if Arthropods have hearts in general, however, considering that Scorpion!Kin is a centaur-like creature, she could have a human-ish heart in her superior chest and another one in her inferior chest.
She should be immune to her sting's poison, but if we go by Dragon Strike rules, making a manscorpion sting itself is an automatic kill.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

She should be immune to her sting's poison, but if we go by Dragon Strike rules, making a manscorpion sting itself is an automatic kill.
Why would she immune to her own poison? I don't think the poison circulates over the body, it would stay isolated in the sting until is injected in another body, also a poison that can be used against someone from the same species than yours would be more usefull than one that isn't.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Why would she immune to her own poison? I don't think the poison circulates over the body, it would stay isolated in the sting until is injected in another body, also a poison that can be used against someone from the same species than yours would be more usefull than one that isn't.
Scorpions are immune to their own poison, and mostly immune to other scorpions'. Assuming she follows scorpion rules, she is.

phil

phil

That stinger is still pretty big though. That could do some real -hp if forcefully jammed into that fleshy part in the middle.

Dave

Dave

That stinger is still pretty big though.
That sounds like Nick's prom nigh-

I kid. No it doesn't.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Scorpions are immune to their own poison, and mostly immune to other scorpions'. Assuming she follows scorpion rules, she is.
True, but big Scorpions ether have no poison or have very weak poison. This is a general rule for pretty much all of the Arachnid family. So considering Scorpion Kin's size, it's entirely possible her poison is next to ineffective.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Yeah, I'm thinking the stinger to the human heart will basically we one of the optional-rule crits where you go to -1 automatically. At least, it should require a Fort/SysShock save.
True, but big Scorpions ether have no poison or have very weak poison. This is a general rule for pretty much all of the Arachnid family. So considering Scorpion Kin's size, it's entirely possible her poison is next to ineffective.
I like how you phrased that supporting statement as a counterargument :p

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

That actually wasn't as fucked up as I was expecting.

I thought there would be more of a *squelch* if you know what I mean

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

New page is pretty cool.
Added at: 02:56
Kin is awesome
Added at: 02:56
howcome I don't think scorpion kin was sexually harassed by the ranger?
I am only dissapointed with the lack of gooey scorpion-bits

bhamv3

bhamv3

I wonder why Scorpikin didn't use her pincers against our Kin when she's being strangled. Now, granted, I've never been strangled before, so maybe when it happens your brain shuts down and all you can do is grab uselessly at your throat with your hands. But I think our Kin lucked out when Scorpikin didn't decide to use her huge, armored pincers, and grab Kin's huge soft hunk of victim.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I wonder why Scorpikin didn't use her pincers against our Kin when she's being strangled. Now, granted, I've never been strangled before, so maybe when it happens your brain shuts down and all you can do is grab uselessly at your throat with your hands. But I think our Kin lucked out when Scorpikin didn't decide to use her huge, armored pincers, and grab Kin's huge soft hunk of victim.
What pincers? She had normal hands. She even had rings on those hands.

bhamv3

bhamv3

What pincers? She had normal hands. She even had rings on those hands.
Fourth panel: http://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20110913.jpg

Clearer shot here, third panel: http://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20110906.jpg

Oooh, clearest shot, last panel: http://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20110729.jpg

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

*facepalm*

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Today's strip may actually be my favorite strip ever... if only because it proves that Minmax didn't take Int as a dump stat.

Dave

Dave

Whoa! I did NOT see that coming! Nice work, Minmax!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Whoa! I did NOT see that coming! Nice work, Minmax!
It also solves the problem of giving them new equipment. They are only going to get like 2 rings and whatever is in the box out of this.

figmentPez

figmentPez

That was awesome.

phil

phil

Do you know how you find Minmax's wallet?

It's the one that says "bad ass mother fucker"

Forgath's is the one that says "step it up a bit, man"

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

That was phenomenal. Way to go MinMax!

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

It's stuff like today's comic that makes me wish that I could play in a game that he would be the GM/ST/etc - talk about awesomeness! I never saw that coming.

bhamv3

bhamv3

And now Minmax's pants are going to fall down. Which is okay, because he's too much man for pants.

Wahad

Wahad

Sonovacrap. Bhamv called it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hmm, well, this is a pickle. They can't free themselves to get to the ring, and they need the ring to free themselves. I suppose they could try prying the bolts out of the metal plate holding them to the wall, but that could take a while.

Plus Minmax is gonna have to do it without pants.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The timing on that was perfect.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hmm, well, this is a pickle. They can't free themselves to get to the ring, and they need the ring to free themselves. I suppose they could try prying the bolts out of the metal plate holding them to the wall, but that could take a while.

Plus Minmax is gonna have to do it without pants.
I'm guessing Scorpion Kin had a ring of dispelling or something, so Kin is going to use her tail to get the rings off of the other Kin's fingers to get them out of trouble.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like they are switching to Dies Horribly and Saves a Fox for now.

Am I the only one who thinks that Dies might be thinking the wrong way about his name? Dies Horribly may mean that he's going to suffer a terrible fate that he can't avoid... or it could mean that he's horrible at dying. In which case, it might account for all the times that's avoided dying by the skin of his teeth. Just a thought.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Is it just me, or is it terribly "jarring" when they switch stories like that?

Dave

Dave

It's not just you.

phil

phil

I feel like pacing is not thunt's forte.

However that was as good a place as any for him to jump to a different group.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I think it's mainly jarring because we're only getting updates twice a week. If read in book form, I think it'd be okay.

Dave

Dave

The updates are not even coming 2 a week any more.

phil

phil

Well, he's been hella sick lately. I think that combined with ongoing house drama might be delaying things a bit.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

I think it would be less jarring if he had a link to the the page this page picks up from. I had forgot about the encounter with Mr Fingers (sad to say).

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think it would be less jarring if he had a link to the the page this page picks up from. I had forgot about the encounter with Mr Fingers (sad to say).
I actually had a nightmare about Mr. Fingers. Holy hell...

phil

phil

I actually had a nightmare about Mr. Fingers. Holy hell...
Did he tell you about a test you didn't study for?

Because that would be incredibly terrifying.

Dave

Dave

"Welcome, Souls."?!?!?

*shudders*

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

... and now I just had an idea for a Tempts Fate meets Demon/Dark Souls crossover.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Would you be willing to offer up your soul and allow yourself to be violently killed again and again every few hours, from now until eternity, if it means sparing your other party members?

Also, I don't think the deal is that simple. There's no guarantee the demon is telling the truth.

Dave

Dave

Not very many goblins left in this Goblins comic...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Would you be willing to offer up your soul and allow yourself to be violently killed again and again every few hours, from now until eternity, if it means sparing your other party members?

Also, I don't think the deal is that simple. There's no guarantee the demon is telling the truth.
Generally speaking, if they are offering a deal then they are Lawful and have to abide by the terms. Most Chaotic types would have just killed them on the spot.

Not very many goblins left in this Goblins comic...
I suspect we'll be seeing some more faces once the main group gets back to the village. This is assuming Kor doesn't catch up to them in the meantime...

Piotyr

Piotyr

True story: there hasn't been a comic featuring the main cast for 10 months now.

phil

phil

Theory:

Klick and dies kind of share a soul, right? So maybe dies can kind of transfer his soul into his green arm or something and give up his body. He would then, essentially die horribly but live on in klick/some kind of new body.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The demons aren't asking for his body, they're asking for a "soul".

phil

phil

True, I still feel like there's a bit of a loophole here.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Saw that coming, never deal with a demon.

Dave

Dave

Evil is as evil does, sir.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I still think Dies is going to be horrible at dying... I'm gonna laugh if the next few pages are of the demon trying and failing to kill Dies.

phil

phil

Are these demons? 'cause they're acting like trolls.

Dave

Dave

figmentPez

figmentPez

"...takes more than what was agreed upon."

Theory:

Klick and dies kind of share a soul, right?
Hmm, I wonder if the demon is going to run into trouble trying to sort out the souls. Dies offered his soul, but Klick didn't. Taking part of Klick's might violate the contract.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Wouldn't it be interesting if Klik is the orb?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New comic is up.

Well... I was wrong about Dies. Then again, since he's essentially Immortal now, there's a fair chance that they are still going to be able to save him. All they need to do is trick the Demon.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Wow, that is pretty horrible.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Been a while since we had some nice gorey action on Goblins....

Math242

Math242

well crap, Dies is awesome, i hope he'll find a way out of that.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

New update today - perhaps that daemon's last thoughts via Gollum - "Tricksy Goblinsssss" maybe?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

That.... was.... freakin.... epic.....

Thunt does it again. Freakin amazing writing.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Man, that was awesome.

Wait... what's wrong with Dies's ears?

Wahad

Wahad

They're probably still ''phasing in''.

Looks like some of you dudes called it with klik as the second soul.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hmm... wonder if this counts as his "Horrible Death"? What if he's good for now on?

Dave

Dave

This comic is fucking great. Between this, OotS and Boxer Hockey, this board has introduced me to some good shit.

John

but what about the other four demons still(?) left in the room?

Dave

Dave

Interesting question, John. I don't know.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Thunt has really gotten creative with his character design, and I like it.

phil

phil

I hope this orc joins team dies.

Died? Will he change his name to died horribly?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Died? Will he change his name to died horribly?
Maybe his pessimism will persist and he'll now assume that there are more horrible deaths to come.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

He's an orc? I thought he was a Hobgoblin or something.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Thunt is having way too much fun drawing those invisible lips.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New comic is up. Klik proves why he is awesome.

Dave

Dave

I just now read that and came in to make an update.

Thunt is just....amazing.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Okay, I know this is probably just me, but does anyone else get a sort of... well... tentacle vibe? Long, writhing tendrils, with bulging tips?

And the tentacles are attacking a young attractive female?

Emrys

Emrys

I don't understand, bhamv3. What are you getting at?

phil

phil

I heard, mother fucker, has like 30 goddamn dicks.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Okay, I know this is probably just me, but does anyone else get a sort of... well... tentacle vibe? Long, writhing tendrils, with bulging tips?

And the tentacles are attacking a young attractive female?
I've seen enough Hentai to see where this is going...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Thunt has been signing all sorts of strange stuff at Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo.
Including a girl's stomach: http://twitpic.com/7dy3ab

:Leyla: Webcomic artists; who knew?

phil

phil

Shit.

Just.

Got.

Real.

This is what I've been waiting for. Dies is going to be the biggest badass ever. Kinda OP but still. Bad mother fucking ass.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

On a non-comic related note, it sounds like they were not able to get the mortgage for the house after all...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

True, but their putting aside the money for when they CAN get a house, so it's not like he's just going to spend it on something else.

phil

phil

http://www.goblinscomic.com/11222011/

Well....that happened.

It's unfortunate that demon's blood is black because it makes me question just where exactly that went in panel 8

bhamv3

bhamv3

Okay, Dies is officially the most overpowered character now. Screw Axe of Prissan, screw magic spear, screw insta-death crossbows and impenetrable armor, hell even screw the gargantuan facsimile wall. That hand is unstoppable.

Though I notice the hand's effect around Dies's eyes and upper arm seems to be growing. This, coupled with the ambiguity about whether the hand has a soul of its own, as well as Dies's sudden change in personality, makes me think the hand is taking over Dies.

Dave

Dave

Maybe the fact that his body is getting taken over is how he dies horribly...

phil

phil

Thunt does drawings for the comic live. Based on what I saw, the next update should be awesome.

Cool guys don't look at explosions

Emrys

Emrys

Ouch.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Green stuff is spreading. Hand is definitely taking over.

phil

phil

I think he's about to go Super Sajin.

figmentPez

figmentPez

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ha! Did you make that?

Dave

Dave

Whoa. Holy shit.

"Father is mine, bitch." What the fuck? This just keeps getting worse...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ha! Did you make that?
No, Thunt retweeted it from someone.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Whoa. Holy shit.

"Father is mine, bitch." What the fuck? This just keeps getting worse...
I think this strip confirms the hand has, if not a separate soul, at least a separate consciousness. We're going to see a battle for control for Dies's body.

I hope he doesn't become a villain.

Though I now think he's probably the one with the biggest chance of defeating Kore now.

figmentPez

figmentPez

This is going to be bad, isn't it?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Are psions meant to be this overpowered?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Are psions meant to be this overpowered?
Thunt's exaggerating, but yeah... Psions are OP. Few things gave resistances to psychic attacks in 2nd and 3rd edition, so characters with psychic based power sets would generally run roughshod over anything that wasn't psychic based themselves (which would usually eat them for lunch). This is why mindflayers are so dangerous.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Poor Thunt, "I've never seen this Dr. Who episode that everyone's telling me about, but when I do, I'm going to kick its butt."

Everything has been done before.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh the crazy stuff people do in Minecraft:

phil

phil

Oh god. That's one of those things that just because you CAN doesn't mean you should.

And it just dawned on me that I don't know if this guy can be beat, really.

Forgetting that he can make heads explode, even if team minmax beats him, once they complete the maze of many it'll all reset. They'd have to unmake him like he just did that other minmax.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Forgetting that he can make heads explode, even if team minmax beats him, once they complete the maze of many it'll all reset. They'd have to unmake him like he just did that other minmax.
That's a pretty heavy thought there. Are they capable of doing that, though, or will they have to trick him into doing it to himself?

Wait, what if they force him to complete the maze? That'll get him out, but they'll have to go through again (and again...)

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, Why the hell haven't I been reading this comic earlier.

Tight pacing, interesting characters, good story arcs (though, I'm not really sure about the Maze of Many arc so far).

The finger monster thing is the stuff of nightmares...

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

The greatest day with goblins is the day you discover it and get to read hundreds of pages. The worst day is the day you hit the last page and only get a diet of 2 a week (if you are lucky) from then on.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The latest strip.

Powerful.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh my, I'm laughing so hard. Kin is such an awesome character.

Dave

Dave

This singularity is going to make my brain hurt.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Something about things getting thrown in the holes and being completely forgotten within seconds as if they never happened seems to touch a funny nerve in me. I can't stop laughing at the past two strips.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Goes to show how long Thunt can stretch a story!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's been an entire year since we saw the main group. Seriously, WTF?

phil

phil

Man, I didn't realize it had been a full year.

This just really goes to show the fundamental flaw of action based story comics. I remember someone mentioned a comic that updates more like a print comic and I wonder if goblins would benifit more from that style.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Anyone know where the print copies cut off. I'm thinking about getting them for a friend for christmas and if they cut off in the middle of the infiltration into the city, It would be a crappy place to stop.

phil

phil

I'm pretty sure they are as they appear in the archive. I don't know if book 3 is in print yet though.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, I'll just have to fall back on my other plan for a christmas gift and direct him to the site then.

Necronic

Necronic

What's the deal with no update for a while now?

I am dissapoint.

Wahad

Wahad

Dunno about you but there was an update when I looked a minute ago.

Necronic

Necronic

Dunno about you but there was an update when I looked a minute ago.
Well yeah but that was because of my post.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Shouldn't the Ring Created clamps have disappeared after the owners were killed?

bhamv3

bhamv3

PsionMax can teleport as well?

That's it, I know what class I'm playing if I ever get into tabletop RPGs.

Dave

Dave

Whoa.

http://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20120103.jpg

I think the psionic guy just fucked up.
Added at: 08:18
But why doesn't she use her tail against him?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Whoa.

http://www.goblinscomic.com/comics/20120103.jpg

I think the psionic guy just fucked up.
Added at: 08:18
But why doesn't she use her tail against him?
It's really hard to resist some psychic attacks, many of which are capable of stunning you. He's probably putting her through so much pain that she can't do more than squirm and endure.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Shouldn't the Ring Created clamps have disappeared after the owners were killed?
Not if they actually transmutted the matter itself, rather than being strictly magical constructs.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Alternatively, it could also be that the effect is tied to the ring and not the user, so it needs to be willfully deactivated.

bhamv3

bhamv3

New comic up.

Minmax hasn't thought things through, in that last panel. But then again, people in his particular emotional state are prone to making irrational decisions.

Dave

Dave

It is relevant to note that Psionic boy has never won the prize, either, or he'd not still be stuck in the maze.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It is relevant to note that Psionic boy has never won the prize, either, or he'd not still be stuck in the maze.
I thought he didn't want out of the maze. He's in there to destroy all realities, right?

Dave

Dave

Maybe I missed that. But why would he want to do that? Dumbass.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Maybe I missed that. But why would he want to do that? Dumbass.
Ah, here is where he explains his motives: http://www.goblinscomic.com/02222011-2/

He's not trying to destroy everything, just himself and everyone else in the maze with him. :confused:

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Ah, here is where he explains his motives: http://www.goblinscomic.com/02222011-2/

He's not trying to destroy everything, just himself and everyone else in the maze with him. :confused:
You know, It is ever said if Psiominmax destroyed the counter on purporse? It could be the case that he destroyed by acident and went insane after experiencing what might had been thousands of deaths.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You know, It is ever said if Psiominmax destroyed the counter on purporse? It could be the case that he destroyed by acident and went insane after experiencing what might had been thousands of deaths.
That could certainly be true, and a believable motivation for wanting to not just die, but to erase ones-self from existence completely.

Although, now that he remembers all his lives, is he actually gaining experience from this? Could he be leveling up in some form or fashion?

phil

phil

I feel like it wouldn't work that way, but have no real reasoning to support that claim.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Remembering all those deaths and adventures, while not getting any xp sounds like the ideal way to turn any Minmax into a oblivion-seeker. :3

Terrik

Terrik

New one's up

Awwwwww. I actually feel really bad for him.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Maybe she doesn't understand what love is?

inb4roxburyforeignermariahcarrey

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Maybe she doesn't understand what love is?

inb4roxburyforeignermariahcarrey
Yeah, it's probably this. She's from an entirely different culture, is cold blooded and part reptile (which don't have the same social habits as mammals), and recently spent a long time as the sex slave to a deranged psychotic, whom abused her physically and mentally daily. It's entirely likely that she ether doesn't know what love is or she's unwilling to admit it to herself so soon after all of THAT, despite Minmax's attempts to show her that he and Forgath aren't like the guy who enslaved her.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Heh heh heh, Star Wars reference.

And yeah, I sympathize with Minmax. I know that gut kick feeling all too well.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

... and that was answered quickly. It's a yuan-ti cultural thing.

Dave

Dave

I'm always blown away at how good a comic this is.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm always blown away at how good a comic this is.
Yes, this. The humor in today's strip is perfectly timed in relation to the more serious matter. The expressions are amazing. This is fantastic work.

Dave

Dave

But they better hurry up and get out of there before #38 come in. They HAD 12 minutes...

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I was really confused by the last two strips, being new to the comic. The archives skip over the donation drive strips, so I was like, "who the hell is this now? and why is he like Collosus?"

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, the Tempts Fate stuff has it's own section.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Poor Minmax, when he going to get some good loot drops?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What you talking about? The sword he got from the crazy wooden guy was pretty great and I believe this is the first loot Forgath's gotten period.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yeah, but the wood sword didn't look impressive either, and Minmax likes to look powerful.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, but the wood sword didn't look impressive either, and Minmax likes to look powerful.
Maybe, but minmaxers don't care how you look... only how much as you kick. If he had to wear a flowery sundress to get a +4 to Strength, he'd do it.

Wahad

Wahad

Minmaxers, perhaps. Minmax, however, still has his manly pride. He wouldn't wear the flowery sundress. Or the pink armor that he just picked up from the chest.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Are you saying Minmax isn't a minmaxer? :p

Though, yes, I suppose there is some basis in saying he's not a mere minmaxing powerplayer any more, and is showing character depth and roleplaying ability.

But I still think he'd wear a dress for a buff.

Wahad

Wahad

Minmax was always a minmaxer plus a guy that is quick to denounce things as ''gay'' or ''girly'' and show open dislike for those things. "Manly pride'' may have been a bit awkwardly phrased (please don't kill me feminists) but the point stands.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Maybe, but minmaxers don't care how you look... only how much as you kick. If he had to wear a flowery sundress to get a +4 to Strength, he'd do it.
The last panel says you're wrong; he does care about how he looks. Heck, if I went through the archives, I'd find lots of examples of Minmax caring about how he looks. He may cave and wear something girly because he wants the stat boost, but he's not going to enjoy doing it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Pez... how long did he go without pants? HOW LONG?

figmentPez

figmentPez

What does that have to do with anything?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

... a joke?

Anyway, I think it's going to be awesome seeing him run around in the pink suit. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with an MMO-esque mismatched clown suit by the end of the dungeon.

figmentPez

figmentPez

... a joke?
Sorry, my sense of humor is broken at the moment.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Pffftt... Minmax never wore pants, or 2 boots. That's just crazy talk.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Now this explains why Minmax, a warrior, doesn't wear any armor. He didn't know how to frickin' put it on!

Dave

Dave

Wonder what feat he got.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I always assumed that Minmax planned out his stats beforehand, but once he'd actually taken them, he longer had the Int score to be capable of minmaxing. Therefore, he's attracted by shiny things and dislikes girly things regardless of stats.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Damn, someone made a nice roll on the random loot chart.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ok, the armor changes color, but that in itself isn't all that useful. Unless you could say something like "camouflage" and then blend in with your surroundings. Though of course, it could still be kick-ass armor.

The sword seems more useful as a defensive weapon rather than an attacking one. If it changes material to anything it touches, that means whenever Minmax parries an attack, it'll shift into the enemy's weapon's material. Thus, even if the enemy is using a sword made from adamantium, Minmax's sword will never break. But then whenever Minmax hits his opponent's armor or shield, the sword will turn into the same material, and be unable to cut through it.

Also, what do you think will happen if the sword touches fire, or water?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It's just the blade that changes. I think the problem here is if he hits someone on the flesh, would the blade cut them or instantly become fleshy?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It might turn to bone... or simply into carbon, in which case it might still retain it's sharpness.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ooo, diamond sword.

phil

phil

I don't think it changes into just anything it touches. It was just in a wooden treasure chest, right? But when it came out, it was rusted, not wood. Whatever it was before must have just naturally rusted. Maybe the tip, specifically has to hit some kind of hard surface?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Or maybe it has to be held in a certain way.

phil

phil

oblivion swords, all up in this bitch.

A SWORD

MADE OF

OBLIVION

bhamv3

bhamv3

So... what happens when you're cut by an oblivion sword? Do you cease to exist, as if you've fallen into one of those oblivion holes?

Because that'd be a wacky way to take out Kore.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd say at the very least that it makes wounds that can't be healed by normal means. After all, you weren't cut by anything so technically you shouldn't be injured.

Wahad

Wahad

Alternately, if they take over the power of the holes, maybe the enemy won't realize they are cut much like how if something disappears in the hole you forget it exists. Which could have...disastrous consequences.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

A sword that wipes you from existance.

That is the most amazing concept ever.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

A sword that wipes you from existance.

That is the most amazing concept ever.
Untrue... because how could it give you experience for defeating foes? If the sword wipes it's foe from existence, how do you remember fighting it? If you can't remember fighting it, how did you learn anything from the experience?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

What does it matter? At level 1 you could wipe out anything and collect the treasure chest it was guarding in the first place? Hell why need treasure? You already have the most insane weapon ever created.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It'd be confusing though.

Minmax and company hack their way through an army of orcs, wiping them from existence. Minmax and company then pause, look around at the empty battlefield, and wonder why they're sweaty and tired.

Soliloquy

Or rather, they wouldn't be sweaty and tired, because they didn't fight any orcs, because the orcs never existed.

EDIT: Also, at what point did Minimax and Forgath find out the holes were oblivion? I don't think Kin ever told them...

figmentPez

figmentPez

That is one heck of a sword.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be terrified to be in any roleplaying group where Thunt's GMing. His dungeons seem to be such huge mind-fucks.

phil

phil

Ok, today's update has me confused.

Wahad

Wahad

Extrapolating from what Kin said, it seems plausible to assume that somehow, the non-existence hole recognizes that the non-existence sword exists, for a lack of a better term. Or vice versa, which is perhaps more logical. To safeguard a possible disaster from a non-existence sword falling to the ground and creating god knows what (maybe just falling through the earth itself without stopping) the non-existence hole exerted a force on it, or the non-existence sword exerted a force on a the non-existence hole, so that rather than falling and creating a disaster, it became non-existent.

That does not explain why it was Minmax's hand coming from the hole (possibly the sword recognizes ownership and simulated Minmax's hand as a proxy to facilitate its return to the hole) or why the people still seem to remember the sword, even though it has fallen into non-existence.

Soliloquy

I'd say there's some time-and-space travel tomfoolery afoot. Minimax is going to be getting his sword back through some sort of wormhole-like portal later -- I'm curious to see how it all works.

I'm guessing that every time Minimax lets go of the sword, he'll grab it from a future point at which he wants his sword back. It's like an interdimensional storage bin, only the sword's not actually stored anywhere -- it just travels forward in time to the point where Minimax grabs it again.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm guessing that every time Minimax lets go of the sword, he'll grab it from a future point at which he wants his sword back. It's like an interdimensional storage bin, only the sword's not actually stored anywhere -- it just travels forward in time to the point where Minimax grabs it again.
My thoughts exactly.

Soliloquy

My thoughts exactly.
The question is, does this mean you can tie something to the sword and send that forward in time with it? Can you write something on your hand and send a message backwards in time?

And if you DO write a message on your hand, will you have to write the same message on your hand before you're able to get the sword back?

Wahad

Wahad

You guys called it. Well done.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

That was really freakin awesome.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, that kind of limits it's usefulness for barring a door, but as long as Minmax is willing to stand there holding it.. you'd have to destroy the door to get around the sword.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Yeah, but he'll never need to actually leave it behind to squeeze through a small space or something (one of the meaner things that GMs have done to me in the past).

figmentPez

figmentPez

Do you think MinMax will break the armor when he realizes it can change color?

bhamv3

bhamv3

What if he starts a sentence with "It is clear that..." and then the armor turns transparent. Imagine Kin's face.

Necronic

Necronic

"I see why they call him Min/Max"

bhamv3

bhamv3

Woo hoo! The return of Not-Walter!

Soliloquy

I guess the question is: is Not Walter's name Kin, Minimax or Forgath? Because I think that if they know his name they have control over him.

Dave

Dave

Are the goblin's archives gone?

Soliloquy

Are the goblin's archives gone?
They were there earlier this morning...

bhamv3

bhamv3

They're not working for me either.

And going to the Goblins site is making my antivirus throw up a warning.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Works for me.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Works for me.
It's been fixed.

Tweets from @thunt_goblins
~1½ hours ago - The Goblins site is experiencing tech difficulties and is being worked on.
~½ hour ago - Goblins is all fixed. Thanks for your patience.

phil

phil

http://www.goblinscomic.com/02242012/

Wait....are not walter and blondmax now obliviony too?

Wahad

Wahad

It's regular Minmax, but no, I think it's just dramatic shadow effects.

figmentPez

figmentPez

D'awww, MinMax protecting Kin.

Necronic

Necronic

Man I would love for that guy to DM a campaign. The thought that went into that sword is amazing.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm still amazed at how well he does action. So many times in comic fights (and I'm including many mainline comic book titles) you have to spend some time figuring out what the hell is going on, but his action is always clear and smooth.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I still think Minmax should be using a Spiked Chain if he's REALLY gonna minmax his combat...

bhamv3

bhamv3

I've got a bad feeling about this. Minmax's got his unbreakable chameleon armor and Oblivious to help him against NotWalter, what's Kin got? She might be smart enough to avoid pouncing on NotWalter's back, but as soon as she gets close to NotWalter, she's going to be vulnerable to his sword.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Considering how absurdly strong Kin's tail is, she could conceivably grab a hold of NotWalter's arm and force him to chop down enough trees to entrap him.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Also, in reality 38, do Kin and Forgath not exist? Otherwise they could ambush "our" Forgoth while he's tangled up with Altmax.

Dave

Dave

Maybe they wouldn't hang around with a dude who had Not Walter working for him. MM in that reality looks kinda evil and maybe had them killed.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It's not Kin, Forgath already called Kin by her name. It could be Forgath, but that'd be... pretty wacky.

Dave

Dave

Well THAT was intelligent and unexpected.

Necronic

Necronic

Ok so what's the story on the last panel he shows? I can't tell what's wrong in the B&W drawing.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It looks a bit like an upward pointing phallus. If you still can't see it, imagine the bow of the ribbon is the cap of a mushroom.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Think of the pulled box art of the Little Mermaid VHS, that will point you in the right direction.

Necronic

Necronic

I'm pretty sure this current Minmax is going to let the group kill him so that this dimension (where nothoward has been released) doesn't continue.

Soliloquy

I'm pretty sure this current Minmax is going to let the group kill him so that this dimension (where nothoward has been released) doesn't continue.
Would that affect the Demon himself, who is no longer in the repeating pocket dimension?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Really, his only hope at this point is that Sion-Minmax succeeds in unmaking reality.

Soliloquy

Really, his only hope at this point is that Sion-Minmax succeeds in unmaking reality.
My guess is that Scion Minimax will either A) Be unmade himself or B) Be foiled in such a distracting way that his party members are able to get the drop on him and kill him.

tegid

tegid

Well thank you halforums, I didn't get any work done today reading through the archives! And what's worse... Now I'm like all of you, waiting for updates :aaah:

Bowielee

Bowielee

I remember that feeling... And it is terrible. This is really the only webcomic that i can't wait to read.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Well thank you halforums, I didn't get any work done today reading through the archives! And what's worse... Now I'm like all of you, waiting for updates :aaah:
You, sir, are the fortunate one. For you, this comic was actually about Goblins today. As for the rest of us, the comic hasn't been about the protagonists for 16 months.

Dave

Dave

It's like discovering Firefly or a George R. R. Martin series...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New comic is up. Second to last panel is nightmare fuel.

Dave

Dave

Especially for Kin, who is having flashbacks to her rapist. Damned rape in comics.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Thunt couldn't possibly have planned this, could he? To add a rape reference after all that rape drama?

phil

phil

No, he wouldn't do that. I'm sure this scene had been planned well before all this crap went down.

Necronic

Necronic

Thunt couldn't possibly have planned this, could he? To add a rape reference after all that rape drama?
Yeah, I was really wondering the exact same thing.

Soliloquy

Well, he had the growing trees thing going on for a while, and it was obviously setup as a chekov's gun when they were first mntioned, so I'm guessing the timing is just a horrible coincidence.

Considering his most recent blog post, I seriously doubt this was added in BECAUSE of the web drama.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Nightmare fuel continues in the new page.

phil

phil

Huh

Theory on the live drawing chat was that each color that the armor changes to comes with it's own power set, perhaps. Pink being neigh indestructible and red allowing for, I guess, rage.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Or he's tapping into his latent psion powers. That's the same glow that psion-max had on his hands.

bhamv3

bhamv3

The glowy eyes also remind me of Complains's berserker rage though. Maybe the armor allows him to multiclass? Fighter-barbarian?

Or maybe Minmax, being a minmaxer, figured out how to multiclass on his own.

Terrik

Terrik

The glowy eyes also remind me of Complains's berserker rage though. Maybe the armor allows him to multiclass? Fighter-barbarian?

Or maybe Minmax, being a minmaxer, figured out how to multiclass on his own.
He's become part of the Star Sapphires. THE POWER OF LOVE.

Dave

Dave

This comic just gets better and better.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

And the mind is screwed some more.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Whoa - where the heck did MinMax go? Is that the same room or someplace "outside" or "in-between?"

FnordBear

FnordBear

This whole comic was very touching to me. Don't know how else to put it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Wow. Just... wow.

Man, why wasn't the ComicMix competition held one month later? A comic like this would've added another 5% Goblins's score.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Wow. Just... wow.

Man, why wasn't the ComicMix competition held one month later? A comic like this would've added another 5% Goblins's score.
That crazy woman probably would have thought that he was raping her and stir up some more shit.