[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

I can't unhear Matthew Mercer ever. God damn it Critical Role. I have the same problem with Laura Bailey tbh.

GasBandit

Staff member
That one is pretty obvious, I mean come on.
Doesn't mean they won't use it to thrust themselves back into the limelight with some good ol' virtue signalling.

I mean, apparently 76 was obvious too because the comics have been showing him taking pictures with dudes since as far back as the Tracer outing.

GasBandit

Staff member
We don't need to be told about Roadhog and Junkrat's bedroom life, it speaks for itself.
Oh, you assume it's Junkrat, though. So far everybody's significant other have been complete unknown off-camera "Oh yeah this NPC0037 is my lover" type deals.

Doesn't mean they won't use it to thrust themselves back into the limelight with some good ol' virtue signalling.

I mean, apparently 76 was obvious too because the comics have been showing him taking pictures with dudes since as far back as the Tracer outing.
Plus, there's so much shipping fanart that honestly my head cannon is that everyone in Overwatch is pansexual.

Oh, you assume it's Junkrat, though. So far everybody's significant other have been complete unknown off-camera "Oh yeah this NPC0037 is my lover" type deals.
There would be a goddamn riot... You don't touch Roadrat or Pharmercy with a 20ft stick.
Plus, there's so much shipping fanart that honestly my head cannon is that everyone in Overwatch is pansexual.
Bastion excepted, because he's too busy being the best turret he can be.

Though I miss it at times, so glad I dropped WoW. Blizzard ain't what it used to be, even when it wasn't what it used to be.

All this, prompted this. *knowing how some things go around here, he decided to post because of Blizzard's hypocrisy about inclusion*

I really suggest reading the twitlonger in the article.

They made 76 gay.
Well all that stuff they pumped into him had to be good for something.
this is just like... an annual blizzard publicity stunt.
I do feel like the timing is a stunt, like they pull something like this any time #Overwatch trends downward just to keep people talking about the game or keep it "edgy."

Though if anyone was going to be officially outed as gay, I was expecting it to be Doomfist. Not that they can't later, of course.

====

Coincidentally, my wife is reading off stuff from someone she follows, and happened across the results of a survey on Overwatch fanfiction:

OWpreferences.jpg

OHpreferences.jpg

Me: "What? No heterosexual pairings?"
Tumblr, probably: "Eh, hets are boring."

--Patrick

Last edited:
To be fair, the story this was revealed in was setting up a mini-event for Ana with skins, sprays, etc, that just started yesterday. And was likely in development before the last big controversy hit last week. The event is not something made just to take heat off from that.

It could have been added last minute to the story side, but considering this was setup in the Christmas comic over a year ago with the photograph, it's likely they just wanted to make it official.

Reaper was also revealed to be heterosexual in the new mini story, though few care to make that a big deal positive or negative.

Sooo...his main weapon looks like it might be a rotary magazine biotic shotgun (like Ana, but short-range, wide spread?), and guessing his ability is to put down a portable small health pack? Like Sombra's translocator, except that it's a small health pack wherever you want it (for however long it lasts). No guess as to his ult, though, I can't see his backpack to get an idea of why it needs that antenna peeking over his R shoulder.

--Patrick

He is already on the PTR so we got a look at his abilities.

Weapon : Main fire is a three burst rifle. It actually does a decent amount of damage for it's small bursts. Alternate fire is "biotic grenades" that don't do any damage, but do AOE healing. He has to reload both magazines, so he has that limit similar to Ana, and can't just chuck healing forever.

Shift Ability : Regeneration. Think of it like a fire and forget version of Brigitte's AOE heal. You go into a group, fire it off, and it does AOE healing to you and everyone that was in range over time, but continues whether you stay with them or not.

E Ability : Immortality Field. You throw out a drone that puts up an area similar in size to a Winston bubble. While anyone inside the bubble can take damage down to a certain threshold, no one inside the bubble can "die" until it either expires or is killed. The drone is the only thing killable while inside the field so be damn careful while enemies are inside it.

Passive : Exo (Rocket) Boots. Anytime you crouch you charge your boots with energy. If you jump either while crouching or within one second of standing, you will do a rocket jump that can propel you up to higher ground. The longer the crouch, the higher you jump. It's a risk reward movement ability as doing it in a fire fight can make you more vulnerable.

Ultimate : Amplification Matrix. Imagine if Dva's null matrix and Symmetra's Ult Shield had a tiny little baby, and that baby instead of blocking stuff just made the stuff that goes through it (both damage and healing) twice as powerful. Put that in a corridor with a immortal shield and wooo you have a shred party.

I am torn, I like his abilities but holy HELL does he feel too powerful. His healing output is up there with Ana and Moira, his damage is decent at medium range, he can literally block every ult with immortality field, and his amp makes it so even a tracer could theoretically shred a roadhog in a single clip. It's nuts. I really don't see him making goats any worst. If anything it might make it too damn good.

The issue is anything you add to make the squishes more resilient can just make the tanks more resilient too. The GOATs meta is all about keeping three tanks clumped together with three healers, mostly Brig and Lucio with a third filler healer due to the high passive healing the two can put out together. Baptiste adds yet another healer with a passive healing compontent AND strong area of effect direct healing that does not require him to DPS (like Moira).

Honestly, I think they are going about this wrong. They should introduce someone that can debuff healing or just flat out turn it off for a period of time or make enemies take more damage during a time period.

Alternatively: introduce role limits. Too many tanks and healers at once? Limit the number of possible tanks and healers on a team at once. Yes, some characters will fall off the radar in that meta, but that just tells you that they need buffs in different areas.

They should introduce someone that can debuff healing or just flat out turn it off for a period of time or make enemies take more damage during a time period.
They should introduce a mechanic that allows you to reverse healing. Like an Ana ‘nade or Moira ball, but while under its influence, any friendly healing actually hurts the affected hero(es).

—Patrick

FINALLY got the "Smooth as Silk" achievement over last weekend. About time. It was the one I figured would take me the longest, but there are still others left to get.

--Patrick

From the most recent patch notes:
boooooost.png

*spit take* WHAAAT? You mean I've been playing this thing since D.Va under the assumption that's always how it's been, but really you're only just now getting around to it?
#BETRAYED

--Patrick

Blizzard considering adding sandbox/mod/customization layer onto the custom game system, called "Workshop."
Can't import/design new maps, can't alter existing maps, just heroes/game parameters, but CAN do things like make heroes switch every 90 seconds, enforce team comps, make the entire floor lava (According to Jeff). Gonna have to see what else you can screw with once it's out of PTR.

--Patrick

Well apparently one of the things you can do...

...is make the payload magnetic (a la Zarya ult) so people finally have no excuse not to get ON the blasted thing.

—Patrick