[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

I saw a neat code on reddit that doubled roadhogs hook as a grappling hook
What, like a hookshot? Did he get bitten by a radioactive snipaire? But more importantly, when he comes crashing back down again, can he gain a ground slam like Winston/Wrecking Ball?

—Patrick

Dangit, I wish I'd known before there were only 3 days left in the season that role queue means I am going to have to do FIFTEEN qualification matches instead of the previous 10.

--Patrick

Dangit, I wish I'd known before there were only 3 days left in the season that role queue means I am going to have to do FIFTEEN qualification matches instead of the previous 10.

--Patrick
Wait, you have to do qualifiers in all three roles? :thumbsdown:

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait, you have to do qualifiers in all three roles? :thumbsdown:
Yeah, it's to combat the problem of people high ranks because they're good at genji deciding that, now that the queues are broken up by roles, maybe they'll try to play (snort) support to get in a game faster... and sucking at support but still being placed at diamond+ level.

Yeah, it's to combat the problem of people high ranks because they're good at genji deciding that, now that the queues are broken up by roles, maybe they'll try to play (snort) support to get in a game faster... and sucking at support but still being placed at diamond+ level.
Ayep.

But at least you can tick the little box at the bottom across multiple categories if you want to, say, only queue up for a comp game as support/tank but not DPS.

--Patrick
Having to wait an hour in the queue across 5 games for the role I hate the most sounds horrid.

Having to wait an hour in the queue across 5 games for the role I hate the most sounds horrid.
That's better than FF14; if I need to level a DPS class, a leveling roulette can take over half an hour just to start.

There's a reason I ALSO maxed a Tank and Healer class.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well you don't have to queue for the role you hate :p you can just stay in the role you want, and not even bother qualifying for the others.

Well you don't have to queue for the role you hate :p you can just stay in the role you want, and not even bother qualifying for the others.
Ok, my initial impression was that you had to qualify for all three to get a rank and get points at the end of the season. Glad that's not the case.

Most of you probably already saw this one when it came out last year:

...but did you know there was a sequel? I didn't. Until tonight.

--Patrick

I find it's always an overconfident reaper that loses the last minute games.

I once was doing a match on Ilios. We were up 99/50 on point cap. As we were about to get victory our reaper used his ult while jumping into the well to be funny. As he does, an enemy switched to a quick ball and got to the point to start overtime. He held it long enough for the whole team to come back and they took it. We lost the round 99/100.

If he had not jumped into the well and used his ult on the ball, we would have won. Them the breaks I guess.

Blizzard has been on a downward spiral for awhile now. Mike was pushed out and slowly those that attempted to hold on have been slowly leaving to go join Mike's new company, Dreamhaven. It's going to get worst for them before it gets better, now that Kotick has near direct control through Brack.

I don't think it can get worse for the rank and file. Constant layoffs looming. Crunch. And of course the much discussed inability for people who work there to afford the cafeteria. Bobby Kotick got 80 million though, so even trade.

Rumors are that Jeff wanted to keep his promise about bringing all the OW skins and cosmetics over to OW2, and keep the loot box / gold system since they have a cap point, but the people on high want to move to a battle pass system and make everyone earn everything again, since that is more profitable. He disagreed, and was asked to resign. Take it with a grain of salt of course, it's just all rumors and gossip right now.

So as of June 1st there are new terms to agree to in order to continue to use Blizzard and its games. There's the usual binding arbitration BS, but...I don't remember enough of the previous agreement to know exactly what the newest changes are, but some of the stuff that stood out to me:

-There is a max spending limit of US$2000/day. All I can figure is that some people were getting INSANE with their Hearthstone packs.
-Blizzard owns everything. Images, sounds, logos, etc. and you can't use them without permission. We will see whether this affects let's play vids or the folks who stream or make highlight vids.
-Anything you create in any built-in game editor (Starcraft game designer, Overwatch workshop content) can be used by Blizzard for anything they want without compensation or recognition to you. I really wanted to explore the Overwatch workshop to do something creative, but guess this means that's off the table now cuz if I do something cool they can just... take it.
-Oh and of course they have limits on what you can recover for damages, but they are under no limits for what they can recover from you.

--Patrick

So as of June 1st there are new terms to agree to in order to continue to use Blizzard and its games. There's the usual binding arbitration BS, but...I don't remember enough of the previous agreement to know exactly what the newest changes are, but some of the stuff that stood out to me:

-There is a max spending limit of US$2000/day. All I can figure is that some people were getting INSANE with their Hearthstone packs.
-Blizzard owns everything. Images, sounds, logos, etc. and you can't use them without permission. We will see whether this affects let's play vids or the folks who stream or make highlight vids.
-Anything you create in any built-in game editor (Starcraft game designer, Overwatch workshop content) can be used by Blizzard for anything they want without compensation or recognition to you. I really wanted to explore the Overwatch workshop to do something creative, but guess this means that's off the table now cuz if I do something cool they can just... take it.
-Oh and of course they have limits on what you can recover for damages, but they are under no limits for what they can recover from you.

--Patrick
Blizzard and their masters are still really upset that they didn't get rich(er) off DOTA

Blizzard is gone. Just have to accept that fact at this point. Everyone that had a spine has been supplanted now. Activision has been doing this for a while now to cement it's control over the company, starting with Mike Morhaime, and quickly pushing away anyone else that may push back on the agenda.

There has been like ten new companies they have risen from this exodus. Mike started a whole new game studio that covers some of them, but a few others have gone completely independent including almost the entire StarCraft 2 development team, who left when Activision decided that RTS games were no longer a viable genre.

Jeff Kaplan was the latest one pushed out. Rumor is he pushed back on something Activision wanted to do with Overwatch 2 and they basically told him to shut up or leave. He decided to leave.

It sucks but no empire lasts forever.

Last edited: