Pet Peeve rants.

What the fuck is with everyone being unable to park lately? I don’t know what it is, but it seems like every other person is egregiously parking over the lines.
I am terrible at parking and know this so I am very careful to not leave my car brutally in someone’s way. I will go back into my car and adjust.

It’s the people that abandon their cars like that. How do they not know!?

I am terrible at parking and know this so I am very careful to not leave my car brutally in someone’s way. I will go back into my car and adjust.

It’s the people that abandon their cars like that. How do they not know!?
Right? I definitely have times where I'm annoyed or tired or whatever and park horribly, but then I get out, see it, and adjust. How hard is it to go "whoops, I'm over the line, zip zip okay, that's better".

When I'm browsing in a store, I find people rarely say "Excuse me" or something anymore if they pass close by me. Like, if I'm browsing in the bookstore, flipping through comics, people will walk right in front of me without saying a thing.

And I swear people USED to, before the pandemic. It's not a huge thing or gets me angry, but it's a small, common courtesy that I do all the time. If I'm passing behind someone, I'll say a quick "Scuse me," so they know I'm there. Partly as a courtesy but also in case they make a sudden movement and they accidentally hit me or bump into me.

And yet, I find people around here don't do that nearly as often as they used to.

When I'm browsing in a store, I find people rarely say "Excuse me" or something anymore if they pass close by me. Like, if I'm browsing in the bookstore, flipping through comics, people will walk right in front of me without saying a thing.

And I swear people USED to, before the pandemic. It's not a huge thing or gets me angry, but it's a small, common courtesy that I do all the time. If I'm passing behind someone, I'll say a quick "Scuse me," so they know I'm there. Partly as a courtesy but also in case they make a sudden movement and they accidentally hit me or bump into me.

And yet, I find people around here don't do that nearly as often as they used to.
I find this too. Very vexing.

I work for a Canadian telecommunications company, as I've ranted about many times. Recently, Days of Our Lives was moved to streaming only on Peacock in the US. In Canada, since we don't get Peacock, it was moved to the W Channel.

Now, the majority of calls I get in a day are from seniors. Many of whom, of course, don't understand modern technology. Many don't even have or need the internet, let alone understand how it works. They might have "heard" of Netflix but don't know what it is or how it works.

So, imagine trying to explain how streaming works when they ask why their soap isn't on a certain channel. They understand a show moving channels and so far, they've been okay with that change. But explaining why? Yeah, that hasn't been fun.

I work for a Canadian telecommunications company, as I've ranted about many times. Recently, Days of Our Lives was moved to streaming only on Peacock in the US. In Canada, since we don't get Peacock, it was moved to the W Channel.

Now, the majority of calls I get in a day are from seniors. Many of whom, of course, don't understand modern technology. Many don't even have or need the internet, let alone understand how it works. They might have "heard" of Netflix but don't know what it is or how it works.

So, imagine trying to explain how streaming works when they ask why their soap isn't on a certain channel. They understand a show moving channels and so far, they've been okay with that change. But explaining why? Yeah, that hasn't been fun.
Best way I’ve found trying to explain similar situations is along the lines of:
I don’t know, guess the network decided they could make more money by showing it there.
They won’t understand the tech, but they do understand somebody deciding they could make more money by trying something different.

Just fixed the wireless printer? Our cat Butterball (Fluffy Sponge) slept on enough buttons to get it to copy 200 pages of lint.

Dave

Staff member
I’m rereading the Wheel of Time books. I’m on book #6. Ignore the fact that he does the whole “every woman is beautiful” and “she smoothed her skirt” bullshit that Jorden loved so much. My pet peeve is that even though I’m in book 6 the beginning chapters reiterate the smallest shit. Like how the Aiel call him the chief of chiefs but to everyone else he’s the Dragon. Shit like that where if you’re reading book #6 you already know this! I don’t need whole chapters dedicated to recapping shit.

GasBandit

Staff member
I’m rereading the Wheel of Time books. I’m on book #6. Ignore the fact that he does the whole “every woman is beautiful” and “she smoothed her skirt” bullshit that Jorden loved so much. My pet peeve is that even though I’m in book 6 the beginning chapters reiterate the smallest shit. Like how the Aiel call him the chief of chiefs but to everyone else he’s the Dragon. Shit like that where if you’re reading book #6 you already know this! I don’t need whole chapters dedicated to recapping shit.
Books 6, 7, and 8, Jordan figured out he was being paid by the word. It didn't get good again until he got his diagnosis.

If you can’t do one children’s event in the middle of the day without drinking multiple glasses of wine, you have a fucking problem. It’s not a joke; it’s not a personality trait or “just how you are.” You’re an alcoholic.

If you can’t do one children’s event in the middle of the day without drinking multiple glasses of wine, you have a fucking problem. It’s not a joke; it’s not a personality trait or “just how you are.” You’re an alcoholic.
I saw someone looking for a place to hold a 1yo birthday party that allowed alcohol without having to have security for the venue. First birthday and you or your family can’t go without alcohol? You’ve got issues.

I saw someone looking for a place to hold a 1yo birthday party that allowed alcohol without having to have security for the venue. First birthday and you or your family can’t go without alcohol? You’ve got issues.
Conversely, the best first birthday party I’ve been to was at a sports bar on NFL Sunday, with alcohol.

Conversely, the best first birthday party I’ve been to was at a sports bar on NFL Sunday, with alcohol.
Fair enough. That’s at a bar. Today there were moms at a kid’s dance performance who brought wine and drank in the parking lot of the community theater.

It didn’t get good again until he died and Sanderson took over.
I love Brandon, but a lot of his work on this wasn't that great IMO. Especially the way he focused so hard on Perrin and really dropped the ball on Mat.

A first birthday party is definitely more for adults than the kid though.

Reactions: Far
Spotify Wrapped shows, among other things, your most-played songs of the past year, and your most-played artists, etc.
All well and good, but what that REALLY shows me is that my literal #1 in 2022 is a song I don't care about, don't particularly like or dislike, and have NEVER searched for or actively wanted to hear. It's just something that the Spotify algorithm has decided must be my jam. In 2021 another song in the same line was number 3 or something. One of my top 5 most listened artists is also someone I had literally never heard of - composer of some movie music belonging to the sequel of a movie whose soundtrack I like.
I have a very diverse taste, I really like getting suggestions. Sometimes the algorithm gets it right, sometimes not so much. Fine. But songs and artists I have NEVER looked for or chosen played so often they're in my top 5 or literally my number one? That's ridiculous.
And I listened well over 1000 hours this year (down quite a bit from last year, actually) so it's not like there aren't plenty of numbers I've chosen deliberately multiple times.

Spotify Wrapped shows, among other things, your most-played songs of the past year, and your most-played artists, etc.
All well and good, but what that REALLY shows me is that my literal #1 in 2022 is a song I don't care about, don't particularly like or dislike, and have NEVER searched for or actively wanted to hear. It's just something that the Spotify algorithm has decided must be my jam. In 2021 another song in the same line was number 3 or something. One of my top 5 most listened artists is also someone I had literally never heard of - composer of some movie music belonging to the sequel of a movie whose soundtrack I like.
I have a very diverse taste, I really like getting suggestions. Sometimes the algorithm gets it right, sometimes not so much. Fine. But songs and artists I have NEVER looked for or chosen played so often they're in my top 5 or literally my number one? That's ridiculous.
And I listened well over 1000 hours this year (down quite a bit from last year, actually) so it's not like there aren't plenty of numbers I've chosen deliberately multiple times.
Does anyone else share your account? I had the same reaction as you last year, until I found out my daughter would oftentimes forget to switch Spotify accounts on a smart speaker in our house.

Does anyone else share your account? I had the same reaction as you last year, until I found out my daughter would oftentimes forget to switch Spotify accounts on a smart speaker in our house.
Sure, my wife on occasion. But rarely, and neither is anywhere near anything she'd ever voluntarily listen to.
it's just a song (and an artist) that Spotify insists on injecting in every other "specially made for you" playlist, or that shows up in the "continue" lists if I just let it go for any length of time.

OK, so this may be just a very personal annoyance.
Now, I'm all in favor of transpeople being themselves. I'm perfectly fine with using singular "they". I'll even try and use made up (yeah yeah, all language is made up, go fly a kite) pronouns for those who feel to special to belong to any group.
He left him to his own devices? Fine.
She left her to her own devices? Absolutely cromulent.
They left them to their own devices? Naturally.
Xhie left Zher to Qhem own devices? I...'ll try and get it right, don't shoot me if I mess up on occasion. It helps if there's semblance of grammatical adherence to established rules, but, you know, you be you.
But what I first thought was just conservatives trying to make it all "sound annoying and unnatural" and I've now found out is a thing some people do actually do and I just can't live with? Using existing pronouns in a different role.
Them left they to them own devices? Fuck off with that ungrammatical bullshit. I don't care if that means to some I'm a false ally and just as bad as the love child of Hitler and Trump or whatever. GAH.

I understood what he meant. I was an Aggie Ally when I was a grad student and I remember going over the most peculiar pronouns. My thought was, "there are actually people who go by these?"

But you know what really grinds my gears? Trigger warnings. They have gotten ridiculous. I'm not even sure which universities actually use trigger warnings. I have worked for seven different universities and never met an instructor who uses them. Still, apparently some student groups want trigger warnings for diverse topics such as caloric content and snakes.

At the start of every semester, I tell my first classes that history is full of people doing horrible things to each other. My students should always assume my lectures will contain inquisitions, plagues, wars, and generally unpleasant business. If they can't handle that, then perhaps my military history class isn't for them. That is the only trigger warning they ever get from me.

I'm usually pro trigger warnings, but sometimes in podcasts it's for stuff like "description of insects dying" and it's barely Poe level of Terror! Save trigger warnings for shit that's ACTUALLY hard to listen to, a bird eating a centipede isn't worth a trigger warning no matter how scary you describe it.